ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the season going forward

BigP50

Walk On
Jul 21, 2013
I was on record saying that the Huskers would go 9-3 this season, even after the loss to BYU. While I am not sure that the Huskers go 8-1 the rest of the season, I am very excited about the potential of this team. Right now, I am thinking 7-5, and I am ok with that.

I am from Chicago, so I have been following what that the Cubs have been doing very closely. While I would like to see the team win now, I am ok with building the talent, have Riley get his recruits in, and learn about the current players that we have. For the last couple of years, the Cubs have struggled, but have acquired guys like Kris Bryant, Javier Baez, Jorge Soler, Addison Russell, Kyle Schwarber, and Albert Almora. Add those guys to Jon Lester and Anthony Rizzo, and the Cubs are now one of the best teams in baseball.

I think that Riley is doing that with the Huskers. I am not saying that the Huskers will or are signing a bunch of 5 star recruits, but the talent that we have currently, combined with what we have coming in, 2016 can and should be special. Next year we will have Tommy Armstrong, Jordan Westerkamp, De'Mornay Pierson-El, Stanley Morgan, and Dedrick Young. Combine that with some redshirt guys like Jordan Stevenson, Mohamed Barry, Avery Anderson, Eric Lee Jr., Carlos Davis, Kahlil Davis, Jalin Barnett, and Matt Snyder, you're looking at a special team in my opinion. And all those guys, minus Armstrong and Westerkamp will be back in 2017.

I think that the future is very bright. It is very hard to expect Riley and his staff to come in and be successful right away. I thought Nebraska would win their first 3 games, but I also can understand why they haven't. New schemes, Riley finding the right combo's, plus injuries and suspensions, have all contributed to the 1-2 start.

For anyone that doesn't like the Riley hire, I would just hope that you wait to reserve judgement until after the 2017 season. By then, Riley will have his guys in. After that, tehn judge, but I would just hope that we can all cheer on the Huskers and believe in what Riley is doing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT