ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Hoiberg is done after this season, right?

lol Shaka made one good run over a decade ago, long before he ever met this failed G-League coach you're bragging about. I don't think I'm the one with the idiotic opinions.
Nevada Smith had a winning record in the G-League & was not fired

"failed" lol

keep trying, bud

2016 - 27 win team, 4-seed, beat by 20 in sweet 16
2017 - 30 win team, 2-seed, beat by lower seed in sweet 16
2018 - 26 win team, 3-seed, best run by a painter team, beat by UVA in elite 8
2021 - 29 win team, 3-seed, beat by St Peter's as a 16-point favorite in sweet 16

that's one single season they exceeded expectations & they did it by one game

context is important, harry

So it's better to lose in the first round every year like Shaka has for the last ten years?

Nevada Smith had a winning record in the G-League & was not fired

"failed" lol

keep trying, bud

A 78-72 record for a minor league team in Sioux Falls is the guy you think can build a winning program in the Big Ten? A guy whose only college basketball coaching experience was at the Division 3 level?

You realize that the G-League team he coached won the championship the year before he took over, and he barely had a winning record as their head coach?

So it's better to lose in the first round every year like Shaka has for the last ten years?
Smith has been with Shaka since 2020

won the big 12 tourney in 2021, sent a Marquette team picked to finish last in the Big East to the tourney last year

a position-less offense with length & shooting everywhere >>>>>>>>>>>>> a mutant 7-footer who cannot move

A 78-72 record for a minor league team in Sioux Falls is the guy you think can build a winning program in the Big Ten? A guy whose only college basketball coaching experience was at the Division 3 level?
yes

especially compared to someone who's never been a head coach of anything in his entire life & has had the same job for a decade

yes

especially compared to someone who's never been a head coach of anything in his entire life & has had the same job for a decade

So I guess by your logic, Jerome Tang was a bad hire by K-State. And Tommy Lloyd was a bad hire by Arizona. They had no head coaching experience and held the same assistant coaching jobs for TWO decades.

Instead, they should have hired former .500 G-League coaches who've never coached at the D-I level. What were they thinking?

That is like asking that given we have had the worst combined FB and BB programs in the conference for the past 5+ years, at what point does pride make the athletic department think about declining the conference payout
At the same point when Fred Hoiberg declines his paycheck due to pride.

So I guess by your logic, Jerome Tang was a bad hire by K-State. And Tommy Lloyd was a bad hire by Arizona. They had no head coaching experience and held the same assistant coaching jobs for TWO decades.

Instead, they should have hired former .500 G-League coaches who've never coached at the D-I level. What were they thinking?
and by your logic Erik Spoelstra was a bad hire by the Miami Heat

exceptions go both ways

considering the history of our conference (most tourney bids, least national titles since 2000), we should be looking everywhere but the B1G in hopes of turning the program around

exceptions go both ways

considering the history of our conference (most tourney bids, least national titles since 2000), we should be looking everywhere but the B1G in hopes of turning the program around
Part of the problem is that you have to do well in the B1G in order to get to the tourney, and I don't really see much success in the B1G playing the way teams do in the rest of the country. Style of play, officiating, etc. It sucks because I'd much rather watch the Big 12 or ACC or Big East. Oh well, we are where we are. I know you're not a fan of the B1G, so I hate to admit I like B1G football - but I hate B1G basketball. It sucks.

Part of the problem is that you have to do well in the B1G in order to get to the tourney, and I don't really see much success in the B1G playing the way teams do in the rest of the country. Style of play, officiating, etc. It sucks because I'd much rather watch the Big 12 or ACC or Big East. Oh well, we are where we are. I know you're not a fan of the B1G, so I hate to admit I like B1G football - but I hate B1G basketball. It sucks.
all you need to do in the B1G is go roughly .500 in conference play to get a bid

media bias is the best thing B1G teams have going for them - it's high time we take advantage

100% agree with watching other conferences & would add the Pac 12

Reactions: mgbreis
I watch BIG basketball but totally agree the style and officiating screws the teams when they go into the NCAA tournament because they are not used to how the rest of the conferences are officiated. For the last 20+ years besides Tom Izzo's teams the BIG has been a big disappointment.

Reactions: mgbreis
all you need to do in the B1G is go roughly .500 in conference play to get a bid

media bias is the best thing B1G teams have going for them - it's high time we take advantage

2017-2018 Nebraska basketball team was 13-5 in conference play and still didn't get into the Big dance.

Reactions: king_kong_

Maybe, though I don't think the media slobbering is equally distributed. If Rutgers or Northwestern or even Iowa was sitting on NET ranking as awful as Michigan and Wisconsin's, and had spent the whole month of January getting their asses kicked, they wouldn't even be in the tournament conversation.

Reactions: king_kong_
Maybe, though I don't think the media slobbering is equally distributed. If Rutgers or Northwestern or even Iowa was sitting on NET ranking as awful as Michigan and Wisconsin's, and had spent the whole month of January getting their asses kicked, they wouldn't even be in the tournament conversation.
completely fair point

exceptions go both ways

Big difference between coaching in the pros and in college. As we're seeing with Hoiberg. And Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse, Avery Johnson, etc. The Big Ten especially, with the style of play here. Hoiberg found out real quick that he wasn't going to be able to just outscore teams in this league. And he's finding out that you have to be able to recruit.

We absolutely should look for a Big Ten guy to turn this program around. You're worried about not making far in the NCAA Tournament, when we need to start with someone who can just make the damn tournament more than once in a decade.

Big difference between coaching in the pros and in college. As we're seeing with Hoiberg. And Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse, Avery Johnson, etc. The Big Ten especially, with the style of play here. Hoiberg found out real quick that he wasn't going to be able to just outscore teams in this league. And he's finding out that you have to be able to recruit.

We absolutely should look for a Big Ten guy to turn this program around. You're worried about not making far in the NCAA Tournament, when we need to start with someone who can just make the damn tournament more than once in a decade.
We had a guy like that. His name was Tim Miles.

We had a guy like that. His name was Tim Miles.

Nah, Miles only made the tournament once and got his butt kicked. Then with the entire same team back the next year, he went 13-18 and lost to teams like Incarnate Word and Hawaii. Makes me think Craig Smith had a lot to do with his success.

this is loser speak

I want to win the whole damn thing ASAP

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT