ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Hoiberg is done after this season, right?

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
I don’t dislike Fred Hoiberg, but he has failed in an epic manner here. There were points this season—particularly after Creighton and the first Purdue game—where I had hoped he was finally turning the corner.

Now? We are 3-7 in conference (2nd from last), and he is 34-76 overall. We have been patient, but this is indefensible.

On one final note, with the inexplicable, meritless extensions of Frost and Hoiberg, Bill Moos has to be the most disastrous AD ever for us, right?

Given the fan base, the facilities, and the fact that it is easier to revamp a basketball roster than a football one, there is absolutely no excuse for a basketball coach at NU to fail so miserably year in and year out. I know, I know, Nebraska basketball is historically one of the worst P5 programs of all time and that legacy hangs like a bad smell over the whole enterprise. But there are too many positives at NU for basketball to continue in that tradition of failure and now that we have gotten rid of Frost we need now to give Hoiberg the heave-ho. Such are my two cents for what they are worth. Probably just two cents...

I thought he for sure bought himself another year but now with two starters out I don't see us winning more than 2 more games. I think he could get another chance but also could see Trev moving on.

Reactions: cavalot
$11M buyout and the team had a legitimate chance at NIT before Gary and Bandomel got hurt.

Fred has been the worst basketball coach in 5 decades, but because of the high buyout and definite improvement over his first three years, he will get another year imo.

I don’t dislike Fred Hoiberg, but he has failed in an epic manner here. There were points this season—particularly after Creighton and the first Purdue game—where I had hoped he was finally turning the corner.

Now? We are 3-7 in conference (2nd from last), and he is 34-76 overall. We have been patient, but this is indefensible.

On one final note, with the inexplicable, meritless extensions of Frost and Hoiberg, Bill Moos has to be the most disastrous AD ever for us, right?
Sitting through that game last night was torture. Many many empty seats, and the people who were there began leaving in droves early second half.
I will admit to thinking NU was set for the next few decades by hiring Frost and Hoiberg. Sitting there last night, you get to wondering how it could go so wrong.
As for the question regarding Moos, he did exactly what he was brought in to do -- hire Scott Frost. Had he not done so, there would have been mutiny

If I am Trev I call Steve Pikell at Rutgers...he would probably say "no thanks" since he is an east coast guy and seems to love Rutgers, but then I would ask him if he has an asst that is a younger version of him.

Then I hire that guy.

Sitting through that game last night was torture. Many many empty seats, and the people who were there began leaving in droves early second half.
I will admit to thinking NU was set for the next few decades by hiring Frost and Hoiberg. Sitting there last night, you get to wondering how it could go so wrong.
As for the question regarding Moos, he did exactly what he was brought in to do -- hire Scott Frost. Had he not done so, there would have been mutiny
I don’t think the Frost and Hoiberg hires have been questioned, only their meritless extensions. Both times we doubled down on failure when there were major problems.

I wish someone would crack the code on NU basketball. It can't be as hard as Nebraska makes it look.

Hoiberg may get another year for one reason or another, but there is no denying his and his team's performances are so far below reasonable expectations...well, fill in the blank. It's embarrassing. NU has had some bad seasons and some bad stretches before; but Hoiberg's tenure is arguably the worst we have ever seen.

Someone the other day mentioned Iowa State and Kansas State. If those schools can produce good basketball teams, there is absolutely no reason that Nebraska can't.

The right coach is the place to start. Fred ain't it.

I wish someone would crack the code on NU basketball. It can't be as hard as Nebraska makes it look.

Hoiberg may get another year for one reason or another, but there is no denying his and his team's performances are so far below reasonable expectations...well, fill in the blank. It's embarrassing. NU has had some bad seasons and some bad stretches before; but Hoiberg's tenure is arguably the worst we have ever seen.

Someone the other day mentioned Iowa State and Kansas State. If those schools can produce good basketball teams, there is absolutely no reason that Nebraska can't.

The right coach is the place to start. Fred ain't it.
Honestly, I regret letting Tim Miles go. He was up and down, but he put together a couple really good seasons and was the Big 10 coach of the year once. He was also likable and clearly loved it here.

We gave him up for almost nonstop failure.

Fred is an absolute mystery as a failure and it must just be that his Asst coaches at ISU were the guys that did all the actual work.
This is really 100% accurate..And the fact that he had at one time mentioned he didn’t like recruiting..

Sad to see & hear as Husker fans have been true & loyal to the basketball program! Yes, Fred has had chances & I with my limited basketball knowledge, thought he was the one for the job! Wrong, negotiating a buyout this year is the way to go! Fred seems to have the appeal of a wet mop to me! Hire a energetic coach with fire in his eyes! I read yrs ago we weren't going down the path of K-State & Iowa St to build a program! What it mean't I don't know, but go down the path with NIL money!

I think they should fire him and pay the buyout. With the money involved these days it's not like they can't come up with the coin. Nebraska has invested in the facilities and our fans will always be willing to pack the house as long as there is an even remotely competitive team on the floor. It would be a slap in the face to let this continue to save $11M. Get someone like Otzelberger (not him, someone like him) in the house and win some games and it will be a great ROI to get Hoiberg out the door.

Fred is an absolute mystery as a failure and it must just be that his Asst coaches at ISU were the guys that did all the actual work.

TJ Otzelberger is the man, he brought in a ridiculous amount of talent to ISU for Fred to work with. And Matt A. brought in a few good transfers as well (this was before the transfer portal). I said on this board that we should hire Otzelberger when he was at SDSU, back in 2019.

Unless Fred can find the next Otzelberger as an assistant quickly, someone who can bring in a lot of talent, I don't see how he's going to turn this program around.

I'd love to see us hire Dusty May from FAU, but I don't see Trev paying an $11 million buyout.

Despite the history, NU BB can and should be better than its been. The Danny Nee era, and to a lesser degree, the Miles era, showed the potential and the excitement generated with the fans. Nee had some very talented/competitive teams that unfortunately underperformed consistently in the Big Dance which tarnished what could have been.

Fred's era has been the most disappointing because its the first time in history NU has ever hired a coach with P5 success as well as an NBA bio. Unfortunately, it looks like we got the Dan Hawkins-version of college BB coach.

I don’t think the Frost and Hoiberg hires have been questioned, only their meritless extensions. Both times we doubled down on failure when there were major problems.
No doubt they were terrible extensions for both not deserving them, Hoiberg’s maybe even worse than SF..

Moos hired both coaches that 99% of the fan base thought we’re going to be home run hires that turned out to be total disasters..

At least he never asked another AD who was a opponent, who to hire for a head football coach..

• Haha
Reactions: cubsker
TJ Otzelberger is the man, he brought in a ridiculous amount of talent to ISU for Fred to work with. And Matt A. brought in a few good transfers as well (this was before the transfer portal). I said on this board that we should hire Otzelberger when he was at SDSU, back in 2019.

Unless Fred can find the next Otzelberger as an assistant quickly, someone who can bring in a lot of talent, I don't see how he's going to turn this program around.

I'd love to see us hire Dusty May from FAU, but I don't see Trev paying an $11 million buyout.
Would Otzelberger listen if Trev called?

I dislike him immensely

He’s a loser and cannot be thrown into the trash where he belongs fast enough

Reactions: InMotion
It will be whatever the money says to do. If paying Fred’s buyout has a good chance of being paid for by more (possible) viewership dollars from an intriguing new coach and maybe more victories then Trev might pull the trigger. I could see it go either way. If we start getting boat raced regularly by mediocre teams then it probably happens.

Would Otzelberger listen if Trev called?

No. Iowa State is a better job and he has them rolling. He would probably only leave there for a blue-blood program.

We likely could have gotten him in 2019 when he was at SDSU. And for a lot less than we paid Hoiberg. But hindsight is 20/20.

Who likes losers who steal huge dollars from our alma mater while traipsing out middle school talent that gets killed twice a week for 4 straight years?

Good riddance, hope to never hear his name ever again

Fandom is personal
Do you think he's not doing his best?

Reactions: Gary.Busey
IMO, think Trev has to look at where the program projects in the future vs current game by game results. We know who’s gone on this team after this season and frankly there is no one on that bench now that creates excitement for next season. So if Fred’s plan is rinse repeat for roster management, I don’t see this program exceeding 12-15 wins/season anytime soon.

No. Iowa State is a better job and he has them rolling. He would probably only leave there for a blue-blood program.

We likely could have gotten him in 2019 when he was at SDSU. And for a lot less than we paid Hoiberg. But hindsight is 20/20.
Then who should Trev be looking at? You already mentioned May. Who else and why?
I love a good coaching search thread!
Full disclosure - I know nothing about b-ball but would like to see Nebraska live up to it's potential.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think they should fire him and pay the buyout. With the money involved these days it's not like they can't come up with the coin. Nebraska has invested in the facilities and our fans will always be willing to pack the house as long as there is an even remotely competitive team on the floor. It would be a slap in the face to let this continue to save $11M. Get someone like Otzelberger (not him, someone like him) in the house and win some games and it will be a great ROI to get Hoiberg out the door.

Sure if there are boosters who want to pick up the tab. I’ve got no problem with that, it’s their money they can waste it anyway they want. But for those that think the U has a ton of money to throw around, that’s not how it works. In the COVID year the athletic department was $12 million in the red. The year before that they were $13 million in the black. Here is a link it goes back as far as the 2017-18 school year.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

TJ Otz is an unfare comparison as he has a direct NIL fund from Denis Albaugh for players. For some reason Albaugh seems to only care about basketball for some reason

Reactions: dinglefritz
Sure if there are boosters who want to pick up the tab. I’ve got no problem with that, it’s their money they can waste it anyway they want. But for those that think the U has a ton of money to throw around, that’s not how it works. In the COVID year the athletic department was $12 million in the red. The year before that they were $13 million in the black. Here is a link it goes back as far as the 2017-18 school year.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/
It’s odd they don’t put Volleyball separate since it makes more money than Women’s basketball..

Pretty sure boosters helped pay off SF buy off this past fall…

Reactions: Husker Todd
TJ in particular. What he has done in less than two years in Ames is almost a miracle.

Reactions: meter212
Then who should Trev be looking at? You already mentioned May. Who else and why?
I love a good coaching search thread!
Full disclosure - I know nothing about b-ball but would like to see Nebraska live up to it's potential.

First I'd see if Craig Smith had any interest. Probably not, he'd likely be more interested in the Minnesota job if he were to leave Utah. But you never know. I think he was a big reason that Tim Miles had success in his career up until 2014. Miles seemed lost without him.

Dusty May, Pat Kelsey, Darian DeVries, Grant McCasland would also be good candidates.

Otherwise, I'd look at some of the top recruiting assistants. Saddi Washington at Michigan, Jai Lucas at Duke, and Brandon Brantley at Purdue are a few guys I would consider from the assistant ranks.

On Sports Nightly it seemed Trev was making excuses for Fred (injuries). I don't recall him making excuses for Frost. He would say stuff like "the team fought hard, but the result was not what we wanted." When he forced Frost to make changes he said something like "historically this never works, but we'll see." Clearly he wanted Frost gone but something (someone) wanted to keep Frost. I didn't get the same vibe from the Sports Nightly interview, so I think Hoiberg comes back.

Reactions: dinglefritz

I don't disagree with a word you say. I'm just saying that with the revenue that Nebraska has they can weather a short term revenue loss because it is just that - short term. Nebraska athletics makes money, period, outside of a global pandemic. Putting a quality basketball team in the business plan would be worth exponentially more revenue than the $11M buyout. But I agree, it comes down to boosters and they likely don't have the stomach for it after the Frost debacle. Whether it's the KC Royals or Nebraska basketball, I just think its good business to win games.

ADVERTISEMENT