ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule Comments on OL

Like you, I loved when he said Sam Sledge and chuckled in a loving manner. The thing that really stood out to me was when he said in a few years when College Football Playoff's will expand he stated teams would have to come to Lincoln and play in the elements (December cold) that they may not be accustom to.

You see he really is planning on this thing turning around and not in five years. Some may scoff at the idea of Nebraska making it into the CFP but don't include our new HC, he really sees a path and a plan to get there. I'm sold that Trev Alberts made the right choice and to his credit he didn't back off until he got the coach he really wanted Nebraska to have.
Totally agree, but playing devil’s advocate here, he’s saying what he’s supposed to say.

I think he believes it, for sure. And I’m excited to see it play out that way. But some may want to call him a kinder, gentler snake oil salesman.

Totally agree, but playing devil’s advocate here, he’s saying what he’s supposed to say.

I think he believes it, for sure. And I’m excited to see it play out that way. But some may want to call him a kinder, gentler snake oil salesman.
are you saying he waters down the snake oil and claims less side effects

Maybe this is noted in another post. If so sorry for the repeat but I didn't see it.

Found it interesting that Rhule was very defensive about the OL in his comments today. He said he did NOT agree that the OL was the problem last year. And he likes Raiola as the OL coach for basically two reasons: one, the players love him and two, he coaches the OL in the style that is consistent with Rhule's thinking (apparently Rhule thinks there basically are 3 different ways to coach the OL and Raiola coaches the way he wants). He thought part of the problem with the OL has been it wasn't properly coordinated with the QB play. He thinks it is very important for his OC/QB coach to understand the OL play/needs. He said he had his OC (Coach S.) work with coaching the OL in the past so he understands that.

Rhule said. “We’re going to have a good offensive line this year. I think you need to have a commitment with them, and an identity on offense for what we’re going to do.” Rhule, who has a background in coaching offensive line, said he naturally gravitates towards that group in practices, along with the defensive line. “I’m going to fight for those guys, I like those guys,” Rhule said of the current group of offensive linemen.

Interesting to see how the OL does next season, it's obviously something that Rhule has given some thought to already.
The ironic thing is - the same fans that now are praising and honoring Coach Raiola are the same idiots that were up in arms with the ineptitude of the offensive line play just a couple months ago. What a bunch of morons! Be consistent

The ironic thing is - the same fans that now are praising and honoring Coach Raiola are the same idiots that were up in arms with the ineptitude of the offensive line play just a couple months ago. What a bunch of morons! Be consistent
So much more importantly, what is your analysis on Raiola?!

Honestly, I’m not sure I’ve seen this at all. No one on this board who was critical of Raiola are all of a sudden praising him. They are still highly critical. Which posters have changed their tunes?

Honestly, I’m not sure I’ve seen this at all. No one on this board who was critical of Raiola are all of a sudden praising him. They are still highly critical. Which posters have changed their tunes?
Some of us realized very early that there were things that were out of his control. I’ve said that prior to Rhule getting to Lincoln that he had done a good job recruiting. I think everybody wants to see better O line play but the OC has some bearing on that n

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Look at the linemen he and Raiola brought in ending with a P5 multi year starting center/OT. If they doesn’t inspire hope I don’t know what would.
Agree, I am cautiously optimistic. He made a nice run on recruiting to close out the class. I think he did okay here, but the proof will be in the results in a couple of years. I'm hoping to see some improvement right away next year, but it might take longer to get where we need to go for line development.

Agree, I am cautiously optimistic. He made a nice run on recruiting to close out the class. I think he did okay here, but the proof will be in the results in a couple of years. I'm hoping to see some improvement right away next year, but it might take longer to get where we need to go for line development.
We need to keep our top guys healthy and available. Landing Scott is a big deal and I think Donovan was a big part of that. One thing to watch is the South Dakota kid. He’s a guy that we had in camp. Raiola had told him he wanted to offer him at camp but Whip and Frost didn’t want to. Big bodied road grader with pretty good feet.

Some of us realized very early that there were things that were out of his control. I’ve said that prior to Rhule getting to Lincoln that he had done a good job recruiting. I think everybody wants to see better O line play but the OC has some bearing on that n
And you’ve been consistent from the start. I was wondering about those who were calling for his head who are now praising him. Haven’t seen that here at all.

So, to summarize some crazy idea….

We keep an OL coach that is bad….to get a QB we think can be good….but would be rendered ineffective by said bad OL coach? OL coach is then fired and QB hits portal.

That’s some solid, well thought out, reasoning…

Reactions: OzzyLvr
WARNING: Contains sensitive material that may cause convulsions if you hated our OLine play this year.

13:05 if it didn’t copy right. My question for the gurus on here: what are the styles of OLine coaching he is talking about and what are we running?
totally agree about the continuity between play caller and what the OL is being asked to do. I have coached OL and currently am coaching OL, and I have lots of discussions with our HC about what we can and can not do with the guys that we have. Our best practices are when our HC/OC is down working with our OL specifically in drill and inside run game work.

So, to summarize some crazy idea….

We keep an OL coach that is bad….to get a QB we think can be good….but would be rendered ineffective by said bad OL coach? OL coach is then fired and QB hits portal.

That’s some solid, well thought out, reasoning…
None of the people calling Raiola a bad coach have ever coached a D1 lineman

None of the people calling Raiola a bad coach have ever coached a D1 lineman
is that a requisite? or can you just watch the results to make a judgement instead?

here is another one.. how smart does an offensive line coach need to be? I'm being serious, for those that know, is there a base level of smarts required (thinking Bill Callahan) or can the line coach be as dumb as a brick and get the job done?

is that a requisite? or can you just watch the results to make a judgement instead?

here is another one.. how smart does an offensive line coach need to be? I'm being serious, for those that know, is there a base level of smarts required (thinking Bill Callahan) or can the line coach be as dumb as a brick and get the job done?
I thought you weren't going to comment on Raiola's interview RollingLaugh

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
totally agree about the continuity between play caller and what the OL is being asked to do. I have coached OL and currently am coaching OL, and I have lots of discussions with our HC about what we can and can not do with the guys that we have. Our best practices are when our HC/OC is down working with our OL specifically in drill and inside run game work.
Perhaps he sees some diamonds in the rough on the OL and he thinks he can develop them.

Reactions: king_kong_

Judging results without pertinent knowledge or without factoring in variables outside a coach’s control is a fool’s pursuit.

can you find a quote from someone who has coached D1 linemen saying he's a good coach?
I’m not the one judging him. I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him at NU to assess him. That said, I’ve posted many times that I’m not qualified to judge anything other than results. Even then lacking talent at ONE spot can be problematic for any offense and make everybody look bad.

Rhule and Raiola are both Harry Hiestand disciples. Rhule is particular in how he wants the OL trained and coached. Raiola speaks his language. I don’t think Rhule is concerned that Raiola is perceived to have poorly performed.

I’m not the one judging him. I don’t think we’ve seen enough of him at NU to assess him. That said, I’ve posted many times that I’m not qualified to judge anything other than results. Even then lacking talent at ONE spot can be problematic for any offense and make everybody look bad.
you do a lot of "I'm not judging xyz" while insinuating quite a bit of judgement

Rhule and Raiola are both Harry Hiestand disciples. Rhule is particular in how he wants the OL trained and coached. Raiola speaks his language. I don’t think Rhule is concerned that Raiola is perceived to have poorly performed.
I agree

same language + the position group the head coach is most comfortable inserting himself = opportunity to take a chance

Maybe I do. I just don’t think Raiola and his O line were put in a very good spot to be successful. One thing I do know, Rhule is an O line coach at heart and if things don’t go well with our line the buck will stop with him.
I don't think any of frost's coaches were put in a place to succeed

wonder why that and only that didn't save them, too?

that you cannot fathom his nephew had even 1% impact in his retention is flat out intellectually dishonest &/or willfully ignorant

you made a good prediction & deserve victory laps for it

Maybe I do. I just don’t think Raiola and his O line were put in a very good spot to be successful. One thing I do know, Rhule is an O line coach at heart and if things don’t go well with our line the buck will stop with him.
He made it sound like he is gonna be heavily involved with the O and D line. Which can only be a good thing.

I don't think any of frost's coaches were put in a place to succeed

wonder why that and only that didn't save them, too?

that you cannot fathom his nephew had even 1% impact in his retention is flat out intellectually dishonest &/or willfully ignorant

you made a good prediction & deserve victory laps for it
It certainly convenient that they are related. Seems like there's a high chance it pays off.

I don't give shit what Rhules reasoning was. The dude seems to have a plan and seems to be executed it the way he wants.

Are you asking so you can apply for the job next?

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
Dingle has been saying since Rhule was hired that Raiola wasn’t as bad as people were saying. He’s been super consistent as far as I recall.
He’s yet to back up his claim with one of my posts. He’s a liar.

That's coachspeak. The OL was terrible. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. I don't think the run game scheme or lack there of helped, but the OL did not play well.
Our lineman were not recruited for the offense they participated in last year and the offense was not adapted to their ability...no cohesion...we had two play callers who wanted to do their playbook regardless of personnel...Rhule is saying that the line will be good because the playbook is dictated by personnel. I was more angry that we were running a deep drop passing game when we had tackles who struggled to protect against edge rushers, that we ran the ball with too many Wrs on the field and required our plodding lineman to pull and get up field in the run game...when we went heavy set and used bulk and power we could run the ball. Thompson couldn't play under center and therefore we couldn't run heavy set play action regularly enough to take advantage of our best in conference WR and massive oline. Poor kids had too many coaches checking out and looking for checks only.

We couldn't run the ball worth a shit from power formations.

We couldn't run the ball worth a shit from power formations.
Which power formations did we run? Shotgun with one TE and no fullback? Our “power” formations were pretty week. JMO. And I don’t know s#%#.

Hahhahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehhhe

Wow literally chose the person in season who said he was not as bad as everyone thought. He literally had people disagreeing with him. Son, I think you need to sit in a dark corner and think before you post on here for awhile

Reactions: timnsun
And you’ve been consistent from the start. I was wondering about those who were calling for his head who are now praising him. Haven’t seen that here at all.
Yup @dinglefritz was 100% a defender of his. I was not a big fan of him but did some research and realized that it likely was not his fault and OL did eventually get a little bit better.

Also I am not praising him but understand that Matt Rhule loves assistants like Raiola and will likely get a lot out of him.

Also let's not forget OL is a priority and if Raiola really does fail coaches are not going to allow it to happen. Our OC has coached OL and our HC says he watches OL all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT