ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Hoiberg is done after this season, right?

The concern that Creighton would want to hire a Nebraska coach is a dream come true. The possibility that Nebraska basketball could be successful enough that another legit program would want our coach - has it ever happened before? Not that I know of. If Hoiberg had done anything he'd be getting looks, and I'd welcome it.
Danny Nee was the last Nebraska basketball coach that other programs had any interest in.

So here’s a thought…..Who’s looking for a men’s basketball coach first, Nebraska or Michigan? Yes Howard has taken them to 3 Sweet 16 appearances and has about a 66% winning %, but do wearers of the Maize and Blue settle for double digit regular season losses and for how long?

So here’s a thought…..Who’s looking for a men’s basketball coach first, Nebraska or Michigan? Yes Howard has taken them to 3 Sweet 16 appearances and has about a 66% winning %, but do wearers of the Maize and Blue settle for double digit regular season losses and for how long?
Two of the Big Ten's biggest media darlings, Michigan and Wisconsin, have plunged to 75th and 74th in the NET rankings, well below a lot of teams that are not even in the tournament conversation. The TV talking heads will really have to spew some over-the-top BS to get them bids this year.

Bumping this due to game today. Have a feeling Huskers lose by 30+ unless Illinois calls off the dogs early. Maybe 1 likely win the rest of the way?

stating the obvious - but in most cases, you expect the new coach to be better than the coach you fired

Hoiberg's BEST big ten season hasn't equalled Miles's worst

did we have the worst football and basketball coaches in modern Husker history both coaching at the same time?

stating the obvious - but in most cases, you expect the new coach to be better than the coach you fired

did we have the worst football and basketball coaches in modern Husker history both coaching at the same time?
yes

I know we want to be good at all sports, but do we really care about Basketball? I am a NU Bball fan, but at the end of the day we have always sucked, but we act like we should be a player in the Big 10. I probably just feel this way because we've always sucked, but I just don't expect that much out of the team. Maybe one day we will get it right, but no matter the coach, we just never seem to get it done. I think Collier, Miles, and others were decent coaches, but NU is just a hard place to win. End Rant

I know we want to be good at all sports, but do we really care about Basketball? I am a NU Bball fan, but at the end of the day we have always sucked, but we act like we should be a player in the Big 10. I probably just feel this way because we've always sucked, but I just don't expect that much out of the team. Maybe one day we will get it right, but no matter the coach, we just never seem to get it done. I think Collier, Miles, and others were decent coaches, but NU is just a hard place to win. End Rant
being good at basketball would be fun as hell

yes, we care. and yes, we want it.

people here follow girls' volleyball for crying out lout

if that's not desperation for a winner I don't know what is

we are paying the 4th highest salary in the conference to our basketball coach - ahead of Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin

possibly the lowest ROI in the history of major college basketball

Last edited:
Reactions: king_kong_

There is no reason NOT to be at least respectable in BB. Just have to get the right guy.

Two of the Big Ten's biggest media darlings, Michigan and Wisconsin, have plunged to 75th and 74th in the NET rankings, well below a lot of teams that are not even in the tournament conversation. The TV talking heads will really have to spew some over-the-top BS to get them bids this year.
Ehhh, Wisconsin BB has never really been a. media darling and. historically, they have been. one. of the worst programs in the conference. Ryan made them really good for 20 years and now they are starting to fall off, in two years they will be lucky to finish in the middle of the conference. They can't recruit, the guys they do get need to fit a system and with most teams in the Big Ten getting longer and more athletic, their system is not working as well. Home court advantage for them is slipping as well.

Michigan on the other hand is a total darling and for no reason. With that said, they had a stud coach in Bielen and now they have a coach that has had really good tourney success but is also an embarrassment and turns out might not be a great coach, person or recruiter (I say that only because the recruiting expectations were sooooo high for him, that it was almost unreachable.)

With all that said...I would not be shocked to see these Big Ten schools looking for new coaches next year.

NW: Collins might decide to. get the **** out and take a new job.
Indiana: They never wanted Woodson and the fans are not big fans of his.
NU: I mean, who knows at this point.
OSU: I have to think that if ND offers Holtman, he will bolt.
Michigan: Probably. not but Howard might leave if his son goes to the draft.
PSU: That dude is going to get some looks, he might leave.

If programs like Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, and Kansas State can win consistently, there's no reason NU shouldn't be able to. These programs don't have any advantages over Nebraska in terms of location and resources and fan support. In fact, Nebraska has more money and better facilities than all of them.

If programs like Creighton, Iowa, Iowa State, and Kansas State can win consistently, there's no reason NU shouldn't be able to. These programs don't have any advantages over Nebraska in terms of location and resources and fan support. In fact, Nebraska has more money and better facilities than all of them.
Throw Wichita State in there as well. Makes no sense how we can't have a decent team in Lincoln....

That's just it. Like when Pelini was fired and Mike Riley was hired. Replacing Pelini with a coach that had an even worse overall record made no sense.

Let's face facts; no legit basketball prospect wants to go to Nebraska. The exception being a guy who wanted to play with his big brother. The next coach needs to be a scumbag who will be bringing "his guys" with him. Who's the young and upcoming Bruce Pearl-type? We need to do something drastic to get off the mat because we're not going to get there with the cast of misfits and damaged-goods transfers that Hoiberg is getting.

Let's face facts; no legit basketball prospect wants to go to Nebraska. The exception being a guy who wanted to play with his big brother. The next coach needs to be a scumbag who will be bringing "his guys" with him. Who's the young and upcoming Bruce Pearl-type? We need to do something drastic to get off the mat because we're not going to get there with the cast of misfits and damaged-goods transfers that Hoiberg is getting.
his name is Nevada Smith (no, not Steve McQueen), and he currently operates the #1 offense in the country under Shaka Smart

Reactions: mgbreis
I like him already!
led the nation in made 3s as a player, worked in the Miami Heat org under Pat Riley/Coach Spo, headed up player development at UT

Shaka's right hand man - 42 years young, industry connections and respect our loser coach could only dream of

NBA + Big 12 + Big East experience

led the nation in made 3s as a player, worked in the Miami Heat org under Pat Riley/Coach Spo, headed up player development at UT

Shaka's right hand man - 42 years young, industry connections and respect our loser coach could only dream of

Pay Me GIF

I'd hire Purdue assistant Brandon Brantley. I don't know how he does it, but he keeps recruiting studs to come to Purdue, particularly talented 7-footers.

So we need a coach like creighton?

I'd hire Purdue assistant Brandon Brantley. I don't know how he does it, but he keeps recruiting studs to come to Purdue, particularly talented 7-footers.
yuck

purdue sucks in the tourney because their 7-footers are mutants who can't move

hard pass

Some may view it as splitting hairs given the lack of NCAA tournament wins, but in modern history, NU has only really sucked since the Barry Collier era. For most of the Cipriano-Nee eras, which covered nearly 30 years, NU generally finished in the upper or worst-case, middle tiers of the Big 8/Big 12 conference play. If we can get back to that level in basketball and the football team rights the ship, I think most of the gripes over the men's sports programs go away.

I don't disagree it just hasn't happened in my lifetime and I am 38. Each coach has had a little success but in the end nothing.... I'll continue to support the team and spend money on it, but just really don't expect shit at this point. Program is cursed..

People here follow Volleyball because similar to FB it has been a winner for so long. If they sucked as bad as NU Bball has during the same time frame we would probably talk about cutting the program. I want a winner, just hasn't ever really been in the cards since I have been alive hence my give a shit meter with the team runs on empty.

So at what point would your pride make you think about quitting. Fred's obviously trying a lot more than Frost did at the end, but at some point getting your ass kicked every year and being the worst team in the conference has to get demoralizing. If your miserable is the money worth it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So at what point would your pride make you think about quitting. Fred's obviously trying a lot more than Frost did at the end, but at some point getting your ass kicked every year and being the worst team in the conference has to get demoralizing. If your miserable is the money worth it.

About the time that the money that Nebraska guaranteed me ran out

• Haha

That is like asking that given we have had the worst combined FB and BB programs in the conference for the past 5+ years, at what point does pride make the athletic department think about declining the conference payout

That is like asking that given we have had the worst combined FB and BB programs in the conference for the past 5+ years, at what point does pride make the athletic department think about declining the conference payout
I've been saying for more than a year we should lean into it

can you imagine the hoopla a Media Rights Check Cashing Party in the Haymarket would generate?

have Ronnie G come out of the tunnel to Sirius in his kilt & endorse that sucker on the 'N' at midcourt in the Vault

the place would go bananas

Reactions: Redmich
I've been saying for more than a year we should lean into it

can you imagine the hoopla a Media Rights Check Cashing Party in the Haymarket would generate?

have Ronnie G come out of the tunnel to Sirius in his kilt & endorse that sucker on the 'N' at midcourt in the Vault

the place would go bananas

ring girls holding up the check

ring-card-girl-during-the-wbc-heavyweight-world-championship-fight-picture-id139289237

• Love

NBA + Big 12 + Big East experience

He's so amazing that he's not even a coach, he's in a player development (aka babysitting) role lol.

If we want a failed G-League Coach, why don't we just promote Nate Loenser?

Shaka Smart hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 2013.
Shaka has been to a Final Four and won a Big 12 tournament

fat tub of goo matt painter has done neither while residing in a basketball state in the most resource-rich conference

any more idiotic opinions you'd like to share?

He's so amazing that he's not even a coach, he's in a player development role lol
wrong again

he's currently Special Assistant to the Head Coach at Marquette and, in addition to being their lead recruiter, he implements & runs the offense (#1 in the country by a wide margin)

Shaka has been to a Final Four and won a Big 12 tournament

fat tub of goo matt painter has done neither while residing in a basketball state in the most resource-rich conference

any more idiotic opinions you'd like to share?

lol Shaka made one good run over a decade ago, long before he ever met this failed G-League coach you're bragging about. I don't think I'm the one with the idiotic opinions.

Shaka Smart hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since 2013.

Purdue has made 4 Sweet Sixteens and an Elite Eight in that same time frame.

I'll take that definition of "sucks"
2016 - 27 win team, 4-seed, beat by 20 in sweet 16
2017 - 30 win team, 2-seed, beat by lower seed in sweet 16
2018 - 26 win team, 3-seed, best run by a painter team, beat by UVA in elite 8
2021 - 29 win team, 3-seed, beat by St Peter's as a 16-point favorite in sweet 16

that's one single season they exceeded expectations & they did it by one game

context is important, harry

wrong again

he's currently Special Assistant to the Head Coach at Marquette and, in addition to being their lead recruiter, he implements & runs the offense (#1 in the country by a wide margin)

Wrong again. "Special Assistant" is an office role only, they can not have any on-court coaching responsibilities or do any recruiting. They basically just watch some film and babysit the players off the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT