ADVERTISEMENT

Rhule Comments on OL

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
Maybe this is noted in another post. If so sorry for the repeat but I didn't see it.

Found it interesting that Rhule was very defensive about the OL in his comments today. He said he did NOT agree that the OL was the problem last year. And he likes Raiola as the OL coach for basically two reasons: one, the players love him and two, he coaches the OL in the style that is consistent with Rhule's thinking (apparently Rhule thinks there basically are 3 different ways to coach the OL and Raiola coaches the way he wants). He thought part of the problem with the OL has been it wasn't properly coordinated with the QB play. He thinks it is very important for his OC/QB coach to understand the OL play/needs. He said he had his OC (Coach S.) work with coaching the OL in the past so he understands that.

Rhule said. “We’re going to have a good offensive line this year. I think you need to have a commitment with them, and an identity on offense for what we’re going to do.” Rhule, who has a background in coaching offensive line, said he naturally gravitates towards that group in practices, along with the defensive line. “I’m going to fight for those guys, I like those guys,” Rhule said of the current group of offensive linemen.

Interesting to see how the OL does next season, it's obviously something that Rhule has given some thought to already.

Last edited:
Maybe this is noted in another post. If so sorry for the repeat but I didn't see it.

Found it interesting that Rhule was very defensive about the OL in his comments today. He said he did NOT agree that the OL was the problem last year. And he likes Raiola as the OL coach for basically two reasons: one, the players love him and two, he coaches the OL in the style that is consistent with Rhule's thinking (apparently Rhule thinks there basically are 3 different ways to coach the OL and Raiola coaches the way he wants). He thought part of the problem with the OL has been it wasn't properly coordinated with the QB play. He thinks it is very important for his OC/QB coach to understand the OL play/needs. He said he had his OC (Coach S.) work with coaching the OL in the past so he understands that.

Interesting to see how the OL does next season, it's obviously something that Rhule has given some thought to already.
Well he knows more about building a team and groups than any of us. I'll just trust Rhule can build and mold the OL into a BIG style unit, something we will be happy with.

WARNING: Contains sensitive material that may cause convulsions if you hated our OLine play this year.

13:05 if it didn’t copy right. My question for the gurus on here: what are the styles of OLine coaching he is talking about and what are we running?

Rhule said. “We’re going to have a good offensive line this year. I think you need to have a commitment with them, and an identity on offense for what we’re going to do.”

Coach Frost said the same thing about Donovan Raiola when he hired him - that Coach Raiola teaches the way he prefers - aggresive, etc.

he's defensive about this hire because he knows there was very little to no agreement from others about the credibility of the qualifications of the candidate.

Time will tell if Coach Rhule is right in that a different offensive coordinator and run-first offense will make Coach Raiola now be effective. I'm skeptcal

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78

Rhule said. “We’re going to have a good offensive line this year. I think you need to have a commitment with them, and an identity on offense for what we’re going to do.” Rhule, who has a background in coaching offensive line, said he naturally gravitates towards that group in practices, along with the defensive line. “I’m going to fight for those guys, I like those guys,” Rhule said of the current group of offensive linemen.

My main takeaway was when he said it is hard for O linemen to function when they don't know what the offensive identity is. He got a little animated and said (about the linemen confusion) "Are we going to be a passing team or a running team?" That sequence was as close as he has come to bagging on the Frost regime.

As an observation: Although I'm sure that was NOT the driver in retaining Donovan Raiola because OL is much too important in Rhule's priorites, I can't help but think Rhule apparently hitting it off with Donovan and treating him well would be seen as a major positive factor with Dylan. At any rate, Dylan and family will have a direct window into the Husker staff to judge how it's going. There won't be any BS involved or possible when they try to recruit Dylan.

Honestly, questions about things like the online play will take some getting used to for Rhule. I'm doubting whether folks in Carolina, or Waco, or Philly ever asked him those types of things. You can appreciate the knowledge of the Husker following or it can grate on you.

Probably more so than any fan base in America (perhaps you would include Bama), we know the importance of online play

Coach Frost said the same thing about Donovan Raiola when he hired him - that Coach Raiola teaches the way he prefers - aggresive, etc.

he's defensive about this hire because he knows there was very little to no agreement from others about the credibility of the qualifications of the candidate.

Time will tell if Coach Rhule is right in that a different offensive coordinator and run-first offense will make Coach Raiola now be effective. I'm skeptcal
For some reason I imagine you inserting a butt plug while you typed this.

Keep posting Cap. A lot of us, like me, are in and out of here, and don't have time to read everything.

I love this quote. I believe the special teams coordinator has also coached the offensive line. It seems to me that we are finally going have the right approach and attention to detail! I love how Rhule is his own man and said what he thought without bashing the previous staff.

Honestly, questions about things like the online play will take some getting used to for Rhule. I'm doubting whether folks in Carolina, or Waco, or Philly ever asked him those types of things. You can appreciate the knowledge of the Husker following or it can grate on you.

Probably more so than any fan base in America (perhaps you would include Bama), we know the importance of online play
Those of us who are older saw a lot of outstanding OL play.

Da Bears haven't gotten any better since he left....so there's that to point to. He's going to have a great opportunity here and if there is even a slight chance it helps with a certain someones commitment I'm all for retaining him and we really only have one direction to go.

That's coachspeak. The OL was terrible. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. I don't think the run game scheme or lack there of helped, but the OL did not play well.
Could be but I'm betting Rhule knows a little bit more about the OL than the rest of us. There's no reason he needed to single out the OL today to defend it at this point in time. If he knew/thought the OL was bad (and I'm sure he's studied the film by now) he could have just kept quiet in his public comments. At any rate, I'm anxious to see the OL performance next year.

That's coachspeak. The OL was terrible. He knows it, we know it, everyone knows it. I don't think the run game scheme or lack there of helped, but the OL did not play well.
Yes it is, but he knows that the big boys have heard it the last couple of years how terrible they are so he's giving them some love and getting their back. I bet these guys bust their ass for him. He also knows what he's doing with an OL, so I've got some faith there.

Agreed. I don’t expect him to bash his guys, but we all know they were objectively bad in ways that transcended scheme issues.

I appreciate his spin for the media. Let’s try to rebuild and get em coached up. They may not be amazing, but I do not believe they have zero talent compared to the other 60-100+ teams who outperformed them (OL performance rankings). They can improve.

I think that—even if it is coachspeak—it is calculated and good. It lets these o line guys know (who have been heavily criticized) that he supports them. It builds their confidence.

Last year our running backs had no holes and our qb had inadequate protection. We all saw it.

Glad to hear he is confident about correcting it. Improving morale is a great first step.

So when he made Raiola the OL coach, Dylan was still committed to tOSU but he is keeping just to have an opportunity to get a 5* QB to Nebraska. If a coach is this short sided, prepared to be unimpressed.
He’s not. I don’t believe for a minute that Dylan had anything to do with Rhule keeping Donovan.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Rhule gave his reasons for retaining Raiola. Same approach to coaching the OL, had a good vibe with the guy. The run game will be a priority, not just something that one does between pass plays.
I liked Whipple’s pass play design but his run scheme and lack of a deceptive play action or RPO was horrible for our O linemen. Defenses were pinning their ears back and coming because they knew IF we ran it would be easy to read where it was going.

He’s not. I don’t believe for a minute that Dylan had anything to do with Rhule keeping Donovan.
I agree with that. IMO OL is just too important of a priority to Rhule to make such a compromise. There's zero guarantee that Dylan would come because of that any way. Dylan clearly picked Ohio State the first time when his Uncle already was the OL coach.

I agree with that. IMO OL is just too important of a priority to Rhule to make such a compromise. There's zero guarantee that Dylan would come because of that any way. Dylan clearly picked Ohio State the first time when his Uncle already was the OL coach.
I’m hopeful that Raiola proves himself this next fall. I remember all too well how Barney and Garrison got bashed. Hindsight is that they were a lot better than they got credit for

Yes, but only losing seasons which lands at Frosts feet. You get the impression he didn't know what he was doing

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT