ADVERTISEMENT

NU Texas Volleyball

Typical response from Longwhorn fan on their end of Rivals:

Kind of hilarious that Nebraska has only three national championships with this kind of advantage. Can you imagine how many championships Texas would have in volleyball and baseball if there were 20,000 home fans for every semi-final/World Series. For such a whiny fan base you would think they would hold their tounges, one of the biggest advantages in college sports.

Kind of hilarious that in a state with the #4, 5, 25, and 35 metropolitan areas, a history of cheating, the ability to get conference commissioners fired, ability to get seconds added to a clock, and their own TV network, and that they continue to under achieve.

Just imagine what we could do with all those advantages?

Too bad we can't say something like this for something important, like.....I don't know, maybe football? Women's volleyball is barely noticed in college sports. It's a nice win for the school and the state, but outside of a few volleyball fans around the Country, no one who follows college sports will care, if they even know.
Please STFU!

I'm just stating the truth about college sports.......not knocking the girls. You must live in another Universe to disagree with what I said.

Do we play the games in hopes of winning championships so others can drool and have envy? Or do we play the games for the love of the sport, teammates and fans.

Winning the championship for any sport is about the team, fans and school. Who cares if anyone else notices. Why do you need validation from other fan bases?

Too bad we can't say something like this for something important, like.....I don't know, maybe football? Women's volleyball is barely noticed in college sports. It's a nice win for the school and the state, but outside of a few volleyball fans around the Country, no one who follows college sports will care, if they even know.

Boyd Epley's testing results have shown that the best athletes at the University of Nebraska are in the volleyball program. I believe everyone within the football program from the Head Coach to the walkons could learn a thing or two from the volleyball program. Buy in, off season conditioning, great coaching staff willing to adjust in season, and playing with passion on game day can lead to great things. To put down this accomplishment is laughable.

The volleyball team is the premier athletic program at the University of Nebraska...deal with it. Winking

Last edited:
Do we play the games in hopes of winning championships so others can drool and have envy? Or do we play the games for the love of the sport, teammates and fans.

Winning the championship for any sport is about the team, fans and school. Who cares if anyone else notices. Why do you need validation from other fan bases?
Wow, your a unique fan to not care about what others think of your team's success or lack of it. Good for you!

Boyd Epley's testing results have shown that the best athletes at the University of Nebraska are in the volleyball program. I believe everyone within the football program from the Head Coach to the walkons could learn a thing or two from the volleyball program. Buy in, off season conditioning, great coaching staff willing to adjust in season, and playing with passion on game day can lead to great things. To put down this accomplishment is laughable.
Again......I wasn't putting the girls down......was stating a fact regarding college sports and what's important Nationally. Try understanding what your reading before commenting.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Again......I wasn't putting the girls down......was stating a fact regarding college sports and what's important Nationally. Try understanding what your reading before commenting.

If volleyball isn't a significant ratings option for ESPN...then why was the Elite Eight, Final Four, and National Championship shown on ESPN2? I believe the world wide leader in sports would disagree wtih you. They would not televise this event if it was going to lose money. ESPN understands its audience better than you and what helps grow their pocketbook...I understand completely before making comments. Winking

Wha
What's even funnier is Whorn fans immediately go to football smack, knowing full well that they always had to squeak by the Huskers in that avenue. In 20 years of Big 12 football, texas has won 3 conference titles in football. Pretty poor for such a GREAT football program. Too funny.

What's even funnier is where exactly did Texass beat Nebraska in he BIG12 Conference Championship game? Pretty sure it was in fricken Texass........whiners!

Great Win, Glad they got the Sweep! Glad it was over UT! Glad they had an attendance record!

Wha

What's even funnier is where exactly did Texass beat Nebraska in he BIG12 Conference Championship game? Pretty sure it was in fricken Texass........whiners!

How soon they forget when it doesn't benefit them. Winking

I understood EXACTLY what I was reading. It was somebody dropping by a happy thread about our team just winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, dropping his drawers, and taking a steaming dump on it.

Reactions: newAD
Wow, your a unique fan to not care about what others think of your team's success or lack of it. Good for you!

Other's opinions mean nothing unless they are insulting teams I follow, then I will defend them. But when a team I follow has success I don't need to look around to say "Hey... Look at us! Neener neener neener"

Talking smack aside.... The value of this championship shouldn't be defined by what Buffy in California or Bubba in Louisiana or Nick in New Jersey think.

Popularity of a sport in the national conscience doesn't mean this isn't huge for the fans and school. Pointing out that nobody will know about it is a slap in the face to these girls.

It doesn't need said, shouldn't be said and that is why you are getting the responses you are.

Reactions: newAD
Think about this for a minute. All 4 final 4 teams reside in the central time zone. No USC, UCLA, Stanford, or any other California team, and no Penn State. If you'd told me in 1995 when Nebraska won title #1, that 20 years later, the final 4 teams would all be from this time zone I would have said you were nuts.

Is VB have the country's attention like college football? No. But you can't argue that it's popularity isn't going up.

Ladies - please make it easy on my heart, win in 3.

Got to say, IMO, volleyball, if you are passionate about the team, is by far the most stressful sport to watch. You know that there are only so many times your team is going to get the point when they are serving if the talent levels are close. I was very nervous when Nebraska was down 0-3 in game 3. Just wanted it over!

I understood EXACTLY what I was reading. It was somebody dropping by a happy thread about our team just winning a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, dropping his drawers, and taking a steaming dump on it.

RollingLaugh

npp_image_300.jpg

7lUlf.gif

I couldn't handle it at that point and switched over to the Ohio game for a couple minutes. When I flipped back it was 5-all. Does that make me a bad fan?

I had to get up a few times to walk away from TV for a few seconds quite a few times.

Happy for the team and staff. They look loaded for next season as well and hopefully use that depth to really push themselves for another excellent year.

Hoping that kind of depth of talent will be seen in more Husker sports.

Wish I could've been in the Link tonight based on Shatel's article and watching it on TV, but watching with my die-hard Husker family was still good. Cook and the ladies did one heck of a job this season. Celebrate good times. As crazy as it sounds, this is good not just for volleyball recruiting but great for national recognition for other sports. Congratulations to the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS (read three, four, five times...goosebumps)!!! GBR!!!

If volleyball isn't a significant ratings option for ESPN...then why was the Elite Eight, Final Four, and National Championship shown on ESPN2? I believe the world wide leader in sports would disagree wtih you. They would not televise this event if it was going to lose money. ESPN understands its audience better than you and what helps grow their pocketbook...I understand completely before making comments. Winking
I've gotta disagree here a bit. Not saying volleyball and the final four aren't a big deal because they are, but I flip through channels all the time and wonder- who is watching this?- its usually a women's basketball or softball game and there are maybe 1k fans in the stands. I have to wonder why it is being televised. There is no way ESPN or BTN is making money televising some of these games. I've stopped to watch a bit of a womens lacrosse (or is it Field Hockey) game on BTN between Northwestern and Michigan- why is this on television?

I've gotta disagree here a bit. Not saying volleyball and the final four aren't a big deal because they are, but I flip through channels all the time and wonder- who is watching this?- its usually a women's basketball or softball game and there are maybe 1k fans in the stands. I have to wonder why it is being televised. There is no way ESPN or BTN is making money televising some of these games. I've stopped to watch a bit of a womens lacrosse (or is it Field Hockey) game on BTN between Northwestern and Michigan- why is this on television?

You are telling me that ESPN didn't make money televising the NCAA Volleyball Elite Eight, Final Four, and the National Championship Match...really?

The other events you brought up...possibly but ESPN made money during the volleyball tournament.

So you get to decide what is important? These girls are insane athletes. They deserve accolades not this drivel.
I think we should send LSU some love for being such richard noggins not giving Brianna Holman her release so she could play this year. We now get a middle blocker all american for the next 2 years. Cook may not have moved Amber to the middle if we had Holman, I think that move was the key piece along with Foecke moving to her natural left side and Kadie going to the other side (opposite).......added up to a great team.
I read somewhere that out of something like 128 transfers this year only Holman wasn't given her release to play right away

Reactions: timnsun
You are telling me that ESPN didn't make money televising the NCAA Volleyball Elite Eight, Final Four, and the National Championship Match...really?

The other events you brought up...possibly but ESPN made money during the volleyball tournament.

I dont really see how you could know that for a fact.

I think we should send LSU some love for being such richard noggins not giving Brianna Holman her release so she could play this year. We now get a middle blocker all american for the next 2 years. Cook may not have moved Amber to the middle if we had Holman, I think that move was the key piece along with Foecke moving to her natural left side and Kadie going to the other side (opposite).......added up to a great team.
I read somewhere that out of something like 128 transfers this year only Holman wasn't given her release to play right away

To me the most significant thing was that our middles go a chance to go against Holman in practice everyday. The improvement in our play at the middle blocker position was a real key to the success this year and I think having Holman on the team was a big part of that even if she could not be on the floor during games.

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that the Volleyball Championships were a big deal or maybe you just didn't read it very well. My point was that I believe ESPN often televises things that don't make money, then I gave examples of those things.

Maybe I wasn't clear when I said that the Volleyball Championships were a big deal or maybe you just didn't read it very well. My point was that I believe ESPN often televises things that don't make money, then I gave examples of those things.

I believe with the popularity of volleyball at the club, high school, and college level ESPN made money on this event. If they were going to lose money...they wouldn't have shown the Elite Eight, Final Four, and Championship. They would have only covered the Championship Match to limit the loses. You did give some good examples of events that ESPN probably lost money on. However, I highly doubt they lost money on the 2015 NCAA Volleyball Tournament based on the number of rounds they televised.

We are good...Happy Holidays. Winking

Typical response from Longwhorn fan on their end of Rivals:

Kind of hilarious that Nebraska has only three national championships with this kind of advantage. Can you imagine how many championships Texas would have in volleyball and baseball if there were 20,000 home fans for every semi-final/World Series. For such a whiny fan base you would think they would hold their tounges, one of the biggest advantages in college sports.

Didn't Texas win its regional at home, in its tiny on-campus gym, by 2 points, on a questionable call in the fifth set against Florida?

Can't even begin to compare that to a neutral-site national final that just happened to be filled with Nebraska fans.

By that rationale, all FBS title games should be played in North Dakota or Montana so as to avoid a "home-field" advantage. And no Texas teams should be allowed in this year's men's basketball Final Four because it's being played in Houston. Well, no Texas team should be allowed anyway, but you know what I mean.

Texas. Phhhh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT