ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers visit the Buckeyes as 3 point dogs..

Gawd damnit …. Here we come NIT

tenor.gif

Wait, so Nebraska fouled because of defensive rebounds ? Your comment made it sound like offensive boards were the reason (which would make sense). I didn’t see many fouls by Nebraska because they were too aggressive going for offensive boards

Your argument about rebounds is really stupid and you should feel bad for making it.

Typically a team that causes a lot of turnovers (osu had 13) will get more fouls their way, but not tonight
Nebraska got beat on the glass. Nebraska committed fouls on both ends. When Nebraska gave up offensive rebounds, this resulted in a foul and free throws on multiple occasions. The number of fouls in the paint artificially kept Ohio states points in the paint low and ultimately the true story doesn’t show up in the box score. All of this along with the lack of shot making and poor decision making down the stretch contributed to the loss. That’s the argument. Multiple layers. Multiple factors. None of which are the refs. Which was YOUR original argument.

A lot of weird stats in this game, but reality is we visited a desperate team that played as hard as they can play that has beat Purdue and Michigan State before us in their last 4 games.

Wasn't our best night, and we were still there with 2 minutes to go on a very off night.

Not dismayed by this loss in the least. Actually like our fight when things simply weren't going our way. 2 months ago, this team probably gets beat by 20 or more as they lay down.

I have never seen NU land a center resembling a Cliff Omoruyi from Rutgers. That would be awesome. I haven’t seen us land one like Mast either but that dude just cannot jump.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
I have never seen NU land a center resembling a Cliff Omoruyi from Rutgers. That would be awesome. I haven’t seen us land one like Mast either but that dude just cannot jump.
If Cliff could shoot, at all, he would be a lottery pick.

Dude is so long and bouncy.

A lot of weird stats in this game, but reality is we visited a desperate team that played as hard as they can play that has beat Purdue and Michigan State before us in their last 4 games.

Wasn't our best night, and we were still there with 2 minutes to go on a very off night.

Not dismayed by this loss in the least. Actually like our fight when things simply weren't going our way. 2 months ago, this team probably gets beat by 20 or more as they lay down.
Well said

Tough game. Just couldn’t get Mast or Gary going.

Had our chances despite it.

Onward

That's why he has been playing in the Missouri Valley conference until this season. Fred even makes humorous cracks about his lack of vertical. Unfortunately it shows up often when playing against the centers in the BIG conference.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
This OSU team is going to be trouble in the B1G tournament. The lights went on as soon as they fired their crap HC Holtmann. They have really solid freshman and sophomore classes and are really playing well the last 4 or 5 games with the asst. coach that took over

Reactions: NebChicago
This OSU team is going to be trouble in the B1G tournament. The lights went on as soon as they fired their crap HC Holtmann. They have really solid freshman and sophomore classes and are really playing well the last 4 or 5 games with the asst. coach that took over
I sort of think so too...

They are playing more guys right now, that helps, they are hungry and playing hard. I could see them getting to the BTT semifinal game...

Yeah they are better than their record, that's for sure.

Reactions: king_kong_
Yep. Out played them just didn’t make shots. Was just an ice cold night for mast, Gary and KT. Had the looks just didn’t get it done. On to Rutgers
What? Outplayed them, but couldn't make the shots. Isn't the point of basketball to make your shots? Usually the better team makes easier shots because of ball movement. Nebraska was one pass...dribble....dribble pass, then try a hard shot. Ohio State was missing their starting point guard this game, they had thirteen giveaways and yet still they beat Nebraska handily.

I guess when they got blown out in January, they outplayed the Huskers, but just didn't make the shots. Or the refs just favored the home team. The amount of mental gymnastics we do as fans🤣 Doc Sadler and Tim Miles are throwing their hands up, their teams got hosed!!!

Wait, so Nebraska fouled because of defensive rebounds ? Your comment made it sound like offensive boards were the reason (which would make sense). I didn’t see many fouls by Nebraska because they were too aggressive going for offensive boards

Your argument about rebounds is really stupid and you should feel bad for making it.

Typically a team that causes a lot of turnovers (osu had 13) will get more fouls their way, but not tonight
Hell, Battle could have fouled out on just creating space with his extended arms on offense.

Nebraska has more points in the paint but less than half the fouls is another sign. Of course Nebraska could have helped themselves more by being more efficient on their shots but that doesn't mean the fouls, travels, etc were not an issue also.

A cold shooting night, which seems to doom a lot of teams on the road in every conference, was the primary factor to the loss last night. A smaller contributing factor was in the way the game was called. Discounting fouls at the end of the game when NU needed to put OSU on the line, the inconsistency is what should be considered. Both teams played fairly even as far as physicality, pace, driving to the lane, attacking the offensive boards, etc. However, the consistency of what the refs called a foul on NU was different than what they called on OSU. That primarily caused the FT disparity. OSU got to the bonus FT earlier each half. In fact, I don't think NU got to the bonus at all in the second half. That shouldn't happen when the type of play is the same (I recognize if the style of play is vastly different then number of fouls will follow suit, but that was not the case last night).

An example was late in the second half when NU cut into the lead. An OSU player drove to the lane with Mast defending. He played good defense and went straight up, but an OSU player undercut him (clearly a moving screen). The OSU player made the bucket. On the ensuing play, Williams pushed off with his arm on the fast break. Clearly an offensive foul. About 1 minute later, Battle from OSU did the exact same thing driving at the free throw line and pushed off with his arm to gain an advantage. No foul was called, and he made the shot. So instead of being a 2-point game at the start of this sequence (or a chance for NU to take a lead), OSU bounced it back to a 6-point lead and more or less forced NU to start taking some chances on offense. Unfortunately, they fired up a lot of bricks on 3-pointers at the end.

If there is consistency, that's all each team/coach can ask for. Even if called tight or loose, as long as fouls and violations are called the same both ways, you can live with that. My sense is that was not the way the game was called. However, NU still has a chance to win if they make a few more shots.

What? Outplayed them, but couldn't make the shots. Isn't the point of basketball to make your shots? Usually the better team makes easier shots because of ball movement. Nebraska was one pass...dribble....dribble pass, then try a hard shot. Ohio State was missing their starting point guard this game, they had thirteen giveaways and yet still they beat Nebraska handily.

I guess when they got blown out in January, they outplayed the Huskers, but just didn't make the shots. Or the refs just favored the home team. The amount of mental gymnastics we do as fans🤣 Doc Sadler and Tim Miles are throwing their hands up, their teams got hosed!!!
You can have your opinion, but I saw a ton of open looks that we just missed. Mast missed a ton around the hoop and Juwan had been making a lot of threes. They just didn't fall last night and had been falling in our 4 game win streak. We had an off night shooting. There was a lot that didn't look bad and in my opinion we are the better team and looked like it, just missed a ton of shots from our stars and you aren't going to get the fouls in your favor on the road. They were like 23 of 25 from the line or something like that as well.

Your opinion differs from mine. Cool. I'm still high on this team and I think we win the next two and 1 in the tourney. GBR.

The problem with tOSU is that they HAVE good talent, but have massively underperformed, and got their coach fired...they STILL can play.....VERY tough game to win on road...

not to make TOO many excuses...we did not do what we needed....but it wasn't like it was WSU or someone...
Exactly right. Plus, they were without their point guard last night - Bruce Thornton - who makes them go and is probably their best player.

Their top talent is in the sophomore and especially their freshman classes and they're really starting to come into play now. I believe they have 2 or 3 ex former HS state players of the year in their freshman class. Whichever top B1G team draws them in the B1G tournament is not getting a bargain. They should be an absolute load next year

Exactly right. Plus, they were without their point guard last night - Bruce Thornton - who makes them go and is probably their best player.

Their top talent is in the sophomore and especially their freshman classes and they're really starting to come into play now. I believe they have 2 or 3 ex former HS state players of the year in their freshman class. Whichever top B1G team draws them in the B1G tournament is not getting a bargain. They should be an absolute load next year
OSU and MD totally underachieved this year. But either one could make a run in the BTT.

Gary had a good first game back this year and a good game against Minnesota shooting the basketball, but overall on the year is a very inconsistent shooter with some of his misses being way off. Gotta work on that jumper to be a better dual threat

For what it is worth, the B1G conference season has gone mostly according to what was needed to likely get NU into the big dance with just 2 games remaining. Win all the home games and steal 1 road game. Would be good to win at least 1 game in the conference tourney, regardless of whether a single or double bye seeding. Losing final 2 regular season games and then 1st game in the conference could spell doom.

Reactions: king_kong_
You can have your opinion, but I saw a ton of open looks that we just missed. Mast missed a ton around the hoop and Juwan had been making a lot of threes. They just didn't fall last night and had been falling in our 4 game win streak. We had an off night shooting. There was a lot that didn't look bad and in my opinion we are the better team and looked like it, just missed a ton of shots from our stars and you aren't going to get the fouls in your favor on the road. They were like 23 of 25 from the line or something like that as well.

Your opinion differs from mine. Cool. I'm still high on this team and I think we win the next two and 1 in the tourney. GBR.
We missed shots but we also got out hustled on loose balls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT