ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s starting QB is not currently on the team

God you guys are weird and possibly the same person? The defense has fought the exact same way in every game no matter who the QB is. Can we just stop being so delusional about this team? The defense is flat out awesome. Stop giving Tony White’s credit to the QB, it just doesn’t make any sense. The QB side of the ball is terrible, there is hardly any “leading” happening there.
“weird” is an understatement.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
God you guys are weird and possibly the same person? The defense has fought the exact same way in every game no matter who the QB is. Can we just stop being so delusional about this team? The defense is flat out awesome. Stop giving Tony White’s credit to the QB, it just doesn’t make any sense. The QB side of the ball is terrible, there is hardly any “leading” happening there.
this incorrect post stems from your having been embarrassed during the preseason.

White's D has had the benefit of beating exactly zero good quarterbacks/offenses. he's doing a great job and they're playing hard. he deserves all the credit in the world for his performance thus far.

get over your feelings and hop onboard this winning train. fun times to be a Husker!

The defenses HH is winning against are much higher rated than the offenses the D is stifling

Even if HH is the best we have and could be better next year doesn’t mean you don’t try or can’t bring in someone better.
the staff will - and should - try to upgrade QB room

however, due to the room's makeup and the reality that very few difference makers hit the portal, it will be very difficult

Imagine how different the outlook would be if we had just moderately effective QB play.
You mean we’d still be beat the worst teams in the Big west? Instead of it coming down to the wire we’d put a top 70 team away early in the 4th. 🤪 and only lose by 5 TD’s against top 30 teams.

the staff will - and should - try to upgrade QB room

however, due to the room's makeup and the reality that very few difference makers hit the portal, it will be very difficult
These young receivers running wide open all the time should look pretty attractive

Reactions: king_kong_
Haarberg is on track to nearly match Gdowski’s rushing stats and exceed his passing stats of Gerry’s one year as a starter. And that is over ten games as a starter, compared to 11 for Gdowski.
Correct me if I’m wrong but Gdowski was a redshirt senior when he did that. He was in either his 4th or 5th year running Tom’s offense. He was in fact a more accurate passer despite the completion percentage. Tom has said one of the mistakes he made was not playing him as a junior.

I think people vastly underestimate the effect of having a new OC and offense on all the QBs. NFL QBs often struggle early in a season when the OC or offense changes in the off-season. It’s one of the reasons I’m not completely writing off our backups’ ability to win games if Haarberg gets injured or pulled.

Haarberg is a first year starter operating an offense that has shed most of its starting skill talent to injury. The coaches apparently put a Kemp heavy game plan together, only to have him on the sidelines injured. Haarberg pulled off some third and long plays where it was pretty much a solo effort by him for them to be successful.
Haarberg’s limitation is obviously in the passing game, but the kid has a fair amount of arm strength. He needs to work on his field vision in the passing game. This can be done. Taylor Martinez put in a lot of work in the summer between his sophomore and junior year, and was all conference his Jr. season.

Haarberg is a first year starter operating an offense that has shed most of its starting skill talent to injury. The coaches apparently put a Kemp heavy game plan together, only to have him on the sidelines injured. Haarberg pulled off some third and long plays where it was pretty much a solo effort by him for them to be successful.
Haarberg’s limitation is obviously in the passing game, but the kid has a fair amount of arm strength. He needs to work on his field vision in the passing game. This can be done. Taylor Martinez put in a lot of work in the summer between his sophomore and junior year, and was all conference his Jr. season.
TMart had a lot of open receivers because of his run threat. Heinrich can run but he doesn’t give DCs nightmares with his scrambling. TMart was a threat to go to the house on every play.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Correct me if I’m wrong but Gdowski was a redshirt senior when he did that. He was in either his 4th or 5th year running Tom’s offense. He was in fact a more accurate passer despite the completion percentage. Tom has said one of the mistakes he made was not playing him as a junior.

I think people vastly underestimate the effect of having a new OC and offense on all the QBs. NFL QBs often struggle early in a season when the OC or offense changes in the off-season. It’s one of the reasons I’m not completely writing off our backups’ ability to win games if Haarberg gets injured or pulled.
Gerry walked into an offense that was pretty much plug and play. HH is running an offense that lacks nearly all of the starting skill talent from the beginning of the season.

Gerry walked into an offense that was pretty much plug and play. HH is running an offense that lacks nearly all of the starting skill talent from the beginning of the season.
Ironically he’s making some of the same mistakes that Sims did inside our own 30 instead of the opponents redzone. So far he’s gotten away with it. Has to get better. Should get better.

He's been in the program for 3 years lol

Not sure what cancel culture has to do with this...

He's just not good. He's had the privilege of playing against 4 terrible teams. The one team, where he could've stood up and shined. We got blown out AT HOME. I don't even think he mustered a touchdown that game.

One guy played a lonely team with no head coach and a losing record. One guy played a professional football team and has CONSISTENTLY showed he's a top quarterback at the highest level. It's a very strange comparison and not a good one at all to tell you the truth.

I don't think I'm gaslighting anyone. It's pretty obvious HH isn't a good quarterback. How many times did he force it to Fidone, when we had MULTIPLE guys open. Either in the flats or streaking down the side? How many times did turn to hand the ball off amd went the wronf way? How about the snap that hit him in chest, but somehow he drops it and just has to fall on it. The kid is a GREAT athlete, he's just not a quarterback. I think that's what a lot of us are saying. His legs help him extend plays and he's a good runner, but again 16 rushes for 72 yards, really isn't that impressive, especially at the college level. Even more so against a lonely team like NW. I must have missed the part where NW has such a staunch defense, that our Quarterback would only muster up 150 total yards and hang a whopping 17 points.

He did score when we needed him to, but Coleman was so wide open it'd be hard for him to have missed that. Again, he did terribly under throw Bullocks along the sideline when there wasn't a guy within 10 yards of him. So the inconsistency NEEDS to improve, but I'm not holding my breath since the guy has been here for 3 years already.

I'm glad we're 4-3! Feels good to have a winning record halfway through the season! But this narrative of because HH is a leader and a superior QB compared to what we've had is so far removed from reality. Essentially this is still the same team, the DIFFERENCE is the COACHING.
You can complain and pick apart any part of this team including the QB ,but it is what it is. It's a team sport but the spotlight is on the QB . We have lost 7 starters on offense. I know most of you think it's a video game and it's plug and play. If you would have told me that we would be 4-3 with all this happening I'd be pleasantly surprised. I choose not to complain about winning . Focus on the game this week and see how the season goes. I call the cancel culture the fans who condemn a guy as a freshmen, first year starters, a starter whom had some bad games ,etc. I've watched football for decades and that is ridiculous. People change, grow, mature,. I did , sure you did too.

Last edited:
You can complain and pick apart any part of this team including the QB ,but it is what it is. It's a team sport but the spotlight is on the QB . We have lost 7 starters on offense. I know must of you think it's a video game and it's plug and play. If you would have told me that we would be 4-3 with all this happening I'd be pleasantly surprised. I choose not to complain about winning . Focus on the game this week and see how the season goes. I call the cancel culture the fans who condemn a guy as a freshmen, first year starters, a starter whom had some bad games ,etc. I've watched football for decades and that is ridiculous. People change, grow, mature,. I did , sure you did too.

we lost 7 starters on offense , and we would win games
Watching volleyball last night and seeing the camera zoom in on the bench reinforced the importance of TEAM in winning. Those girls starting and rotating in wouldn’t be as good as they are without the bench players practicing with them.

IMO our football team seems to have great team chemistry. I love our QB room from that standpoint. There’s no bigger cheerleaders for HH than Sims and Purdy. That defense seems extremely cohesive too. Love what Rhule is building. It’s not the D carrying us. It’s a TEAM effort. Starters, role players, backups, scout teamers. They all matter.

Watching volleyball last night and seeing the camera zoom in on the bench reinforced the importance of TEAM in winning. Those girls starting and rotating in wouldn’t be as good as they are without the bench players practicing with them.

IMO our football team seems to have great team chemistry. I love our QB room from that standpoint. There’s no bigger cheerleaders for HH than Sims and Purdy. That defense seems extremely cohesive too. Love what Rhule is building.
I think fans forget it's a team sport and it needs cohesiveness to work. Our line is still as bad. Rhule know what he's doing , we know he is working hard to figure it all out.

IMO our football team seems to have great team chemistry. I love our QB room from that standpoint. There’s no bigger cheerleaders for HH than Sims and Purdy. That defense seems extremely cohesive too. Love what Rhule is building. It’s not the D carrying us. It’s a TEAM effort. Starters, role players, backups, scout teamers. They all matter.
Haarberg is dating Harper Murray maybe she could teach him a few things

Only worthwhile part of your rant

Football is bigger than cherry picking a few bad plays.

Great leaders help find a way, the other players fight for them. I have seen more fight and grit in this Husker team with HH at the helm than any team since 2009
It's not a rant. I want HH to succeed. But you have to be willfully blind to not see the issues. He's putting up Jammal Lord-esque passing numbers and he's nowhere near the running threat Lord was.

The injuries on the offensive side certainly aren't helping. He could still put it together, and I hope he does.

It's not a rant. I want HH to succeed. But you have to be willfully blind to not see the issues. He's putting up Jammal Lord-esque passing numbers and he's nowhere near the running threat Lord was.

The injuries on the offensive side certainly aren't helping. He could still put it together, and I hope he does.
Jammal Lord career: 48% passer, 18 TD, 22 INT, 5.0 yards/carry

Haarberg: 51% passer, 5 TD, 4 INT, 5.1 yards/carry

better passer and running threat according to the numbers

stop letting your feelings steer your opinions

Lord was a senior playing in a system he had practiced for several years. We’re pretty critical of young QBs.

It's his first year. Screw all the cancel culture. Doesn't he get a chance to grow in your world ? Does he get point for playing behind a bad Oline and playing with first year players with no experience ? You gotta get a reality grip on the situation. Factor in all the variables man.
I agree 100 percent. But this isn't about one guy and his feelings. We need to procure the very best portal qb we can. We also need to develop HH into the best qb he can be. Same as any position.
We just can't sit here and hope we can be a good program that can't even score 20 points. In our P5 schedule this year we have scored 10, 14, 7, 20, and 17 points. That's 13.6 per game. I don't include NIU type teams because those are not serious opponents. They are pay for play schedule-O-wins.
Our offense is seriously flawed. QB is seriously flawed. Bad planning/ bad recruiting. Casey Thompson was an exception but there never was a roster qb who had the talent to make us a viable offensive team. I realize that we've failed at nearly every position offensively which has compounded the problem.
The idea that Thompson left because of the Sims threat seems laughable in retrospect. Sims was a Frost-like move from Rhule.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Lord was a senior playing in a system he had practiced for several years. We’re pretty critical of young QBs.
He started as a Junior. Granted, he had more experience "in the system" than Haarberg.
Jammal Lord career: 48% passer, 18 TD, 22 INT, 5.0 yards/carry

Haarberg: 51% passer, 5 TD, 4 INT, 5.1 yards/carry

better passer and running threat according to the numbers

stop letting your feelings steer your opinions
Those numbers look pretty damn similar to me, and there's a good chance that Haarberg's numbers get worse, not better, as opposing defenses get better and the outsized performances against G5 teams have less impact on the averages. And you can't have watched Lord if you think Haarberg can run like he could.

I don't know why you're putting me in this bucket of people who are anti-Haarberg. My "feelings" are that I want him to do well. I thought he did well against Michigan, but the last two games he's made the same kind of mistakes that cost Sims his job. My eyes tell me he isn't very good right now. They also tell me we don't have a better option. I'm hoping that next year we will, or that he will have improved enough to still be the best option over other good players.

I agree 100 percent. But this isn't about one guy and his feelings. We need to procure the very best portal qb we can. We also need to develop HH into the best qb he can be. Same as any position.
We just can't sit here and hope we can be a good program that can't even score 20 points. In our P5 schedule this year we have scored 10, 14, 7, 20, and 17 points. That's 13.6 per game. I don't include NIU type teams because those are not serious opponents. They are pay for play schedule-O-wins.
Our offense is seriously flawed. QB is seriously flawed. Bad planning/ bad recruiting. Casey Thompson was an exception but there never was a roster qb who had the talent to make us a viable offensive team. I realize that we've failed at nearly every position offensively which has compounded the problem.
The idea that Thompson left because of the Sims threat seems laughable in retrospect. Sims was a Frost-like move from Rhule.
Thompson fleeing competition is all you need to know about his ability to lead and his opinion of himself vs his teammates

Haarberg would never

He started as a Junior. Granted, he had more experience "in the system" than Haarberg.

Those numbers look pretty damn similar to me, and there's a good chance that Haarberg's numbers get worse, not better, as opposing defenses get better and the outsized performances against G5 teams have less impact on the averages. And you can't have watched Lord if you think Haarberg can run like he could.

I don't know why you're putting me in this bucket of people who are anti-Haarberg. My "feelings" are that I want him to do well. I thought he did well against Michigan, but the last two games he's made the same kind of mistakes that cost Sims his job. My eyes tell me he isn't very good right now. They also tell me we don't have a better option. I'm hoping that next year we will, or that he will have improved enough to still be the best option over other good players.
But you didn’t say “similar”, you said “nowhere near”

Field vision, accuracy, decision making, fumbling. All needs a lot of work. I hope he does work his ass off to get better and that he does get better, that would be good for everyone. The same as for the other qb’s. I also hope the coaching staff work’s their ass off to bring in a quality portal guy. Tired of sticking good athletes in the position and calling them quarterbacks.

Field vision, accuracy, decision making, fumbling. All needs a lot of work. I hope he does work his ass off to get better and that he does get better, that would be good for everyone. The same as for the other qb’s. I also hope the coaching staff work’s their ass off to bring in a quality portal guy. Tired of sticking good athletes in the position and calling them quarterbacks.
I look forward to seeing your portal wishlist this off-season.

because …
It’s good to get an idea of who specifically posters who bang the “portal fixes everything” drum believe:

A.) is attainable

and

B.) will contribute meaningfully

Otherwise it’s just a lot of delusional bitching/moaning with zero suggested solution

Reactions: MissoulaHusker
It’s good to get an idea of who specifically posters who bang the “portal fixes everything” drum believe:

A.) is attainable

and

B.) will contribute meaningfully

Otherwise it’s just a lot of delusional bitching/moaning with zero suggested solution.

Maybe some posters are saying that, but I haven’t read that anywhere. People want a good quarterback, period, and there isn’t any guarantee. Relying solely on what we currently have on the roster to develop into a good qb, and not looking hard for someone else to come in and at least challenge, would be coaching malpractice.

None of us like losing like we had the last 7 years. Now with 5 games to go we have 4 wins, matching the most wins in a season in that time frame? But instead of being happy with the wins even though the offense struggle we have little piss baby fans bitching about how they are or are not winning games. Worry about that in the future. Those miserable fans deserve a losing team. Am I thrilled with how the offense performs? No. Does it mean I’m scared this staff will have an offense like this until the end of time in Lincoln? No.

None of us like losing like we had the last 7 years. Now with 5 games to go we have 4 wins, matching the most wins in a season in that time frame? But instead of being happy with the wins even though the offense struggle we have little piss baby fans bitching about how they are or are not winning games. Worry about that in the future. Those miserable fans deserve a losing team. Am I thrilled with how the offense performs? No. Does it mean I’m scared this staff will have an offense like this until the end of time in Lincoln? No.
it's Stockholm Syndrome except instead of fondness & familiarity with a kidnapper it's with losing

I don't blame them. they know not what they do.

Need a guy that can make something happen in the passing game. Doesn't help at all that all our top WRs are injured.
Starting qb. Injured and out
#1 RB. Injured and out
#2 RB. Injured and out
#1 LG. Injured and out
#1 C. Injured and??
#1 WR. Injured and out
Etc
Etc
Etc

Dang

Reactions: BleedRed78
As the wins increase, expectations will as well, plus the desire to see players get better.

The survive and advance mindset is what I see for this team. That said the level of play has to improve for the survive part to happen.

Reminds me of the movie Bill Durham when Crash scolds Nuke about a 1-2-3 inning and how Nuke was happy and enjoying the moment. Crash was critical of his pitching even though he had success. For me, I’m going to be critical even when the success is happening if what I’m critical about is some thing that can be fixed or at least made better. In this situation, he can’t be a better quarterback, but people need to be honest with themselves, enough that, even if he is our best choice, he’s not playing to the capability that he can, nor are the players have to step up with injuries happen.

Happy we are winning but being the same isn’t going to provide the wins going forward

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT