ADVERTISEMENT

Who is starting QB game #1 ?

We had 16 ints and 15 lost fumbles. And managed to win 5 games. We had the kiss of death last year- inexperienced skill position players, conservative offense, and led the country in turnovers. Skill position players gained experience. Even if we have turnovers we should now have the ability to try and overcome those with more dynamic plays.

People are scared. I get it. This is new territory for NU having a passing qb this talented. But we'll be ok. "If we die, we die".

So somewhere between 1 pick and worse than 294 other QBs over the past 3 years.

You Can Do It Game GIF by Complex Games
I gave a number. 15.

Dylan is already 6'3" 230lbs. He's obviously well trained and the #1 QB in the country. Last year our QBs performed horribly. Why would anybody expect someone else to start? Especially with Rhule bringing in a new Co-OC and potentially an offensive analyst to put him in the best position to succeed.
No one with a brain expects anyone else to start.

Reactions: bigboxes
Not starting DR on day 1 means the coaching staff would have to be either 1) the dumbest staff on the planet or 2) mind-controlled by Kong, thall or Shine.
Yup. They bring in all these WR's, a new QB coach/CO OC and don't play the #1 QB from the first snap of the season. I mean who actually believes that this is a possibility. You seriously have to be brain dead. Even if he isn't the one giving them the best chance to win the game he is trotting out there. And if he doesn't give us the best chance it would be marginal. If he can handle a snap and not turn the ball over he's already better. If they are concerned about him they will lean on their defense and running game. This isn't rocket science.

One aspect Nebraska fans are overlooking… they’re simply not accustomed to a 5-star QB being on the roster. Especially as a true freshman. My old pessimistic ass believes DR will be the best option and he will be ready. Uncle Don better have the OL ready.
Yup you hit nail on head. You can tell that many on this board don't watch much football other than Nebraska and maybe some BIG10 teams. A top notch QB recruit is a unicorn around here. We haven't had anyone remotely close to a decent QB recruit in decades. I watch a ton of football, have for 40 years, plenty of true freshman QB's that don't completely fold starting game 1.

Yup you hit nail on head. You can tell that many on this board don't watch much football other than Nebraska and maybe some BIG10 teams. A top notch QB recruit is a unicorn around here. We haven't had anyone remotely close to a decent QB recruit in decades. I watch a ton of football, have for 40 years, plenty of true freshman QB's that don't completely fold starting game 1.
Decades? I'd say Tommy Armstrong was a pretty decent recruit for what Beck was trying to do (#9 dual threat QB per Rivals). AMart was the #7 dual threat QB in 2018, Smothers was the #4 dual threat QB in 2020 and Purdy #8. Of these four, TA won a lot of games and had monster stats. Amart had monster stats, but did not win many games. The other two carried clipboards.

Reactions: gomerxx
Yup. They bring in all these WR's, a new QB coach/CO OC and don't play the #1 QB from the first snap of the season. I mean who actually believes that this is a possibility. You seriously have to be brain dead. Even if he isn't the one giving them the best chance to win the game he is trotting out there. And if he doesn't give us the best chance it would be marginal. If he can handle a snap and not turn the ball over he's already better. If they are concerned about him they will lean on their defense and running game. This isn't rocket science.
Want to know the best way to sour a highly rated recruit on NU? Play HH in front of DR.

There were three that threw 16+ last year. Your point is still valid in terms of 15 being really, really low bar.

Correct. I posted exactly how many threw 15 or more the last 3 years in a previous post. 3 in 2023, 2 in 2022 and 1 in 2021. There were 100 QBs each season on the list that I used, 300-6 equals 294.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Correct. I posted exactly how many threw 15 or more the last 3 years in a previous post. 3 in 2023, 2 in 2022 and 1 in 2021. There were 100 QBs each season on the list that I used, 300-6 equals 294.
In his three full seasons of play, AMart averaged just over 13 INTs per season. In this two full seasons of play, Tommy Armstrong averaged 14. TMart averaged 9 over his three full seasons of play.

I don't think some are taking into consideration that Dylan Raiola will practice against college football players during the spring and into the fall. It's not like he's not going to see good college football players during the spring game and during fall practice.

This is why I've said the staff will bring Dylan along slowly and not make the mistake of loading him up with too much too soon but he will go up against elite players starting this spring.

There are those that act as if Dylan will go into a game this fall with no experience against good college football players, he will go up against Nebraska's number one defense on occasion and that is great experience.

I don't think some are taking into consideration that Dylan Raiola will practice against college football players during the spring and into the fall. It's not like he's not going to see good college football players during the spring game and during fall practice.

This is why I've said the staff will bring Dylan along slowly and not make the mistake of loading him up with too much too soon but he will go up against elite players starting this spring.

There are those that act as if Dylan will go into a game this fall with no experience against good college football players, he will go up against Nebraska's number one defense on occasion and that is great experience.
Agree, and has been written I think the staff is going to attempt to rely on the run and the play action pass and not throw the ball 500 times on the year.

The argument that Rhule doesn’t have the luxury TO had isn’t exactly true. In some ways Rhule has more of a luxury then TO, Matt’s bar is way lower. Also We didn’t have a stable of QBs to choose from in 92. Grant was a SR who had struggled most of his career up to that point. Started a few games in 1990 and played about like HH honestly. Mickey played better much of that year.

Also, there’s something to giving QBs time & investing in them vs throwing to the wolves. If Dylan is ready, play him definitely!!! But don’t screw up a Gem if he isn’t. This is a marthon not a sprint.

The argument that Rhule doesn’t have the luxury TO had isn’t exactly true. In some ways Rhule has more of a luxury then TO, Matt’s bar is way lower. Also We didn’t have a stable of QBs to choose from in 92. Grant was a SR who had struggled most of his career up to that point. Started a few games in 1990 and played about like HH honestly. Mickey played better much of that year.

Also, there’s something to giving QBs time & investing in them vs throwing to the wolves. If Dylan is ready, play him definitely!!! But don’t screw up a Gem if he isn’t. This is a marthon not a sprint.
Osborne's offense was much more QB centric than what Rhule/Satt/Thomas offense will be. I don't invision an offense with as many zone reads as we saw last year with Sims/Haarberg/Purdy. The QB is not going to be the leading ball carrier in both attempts and yards in 2024.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Some coaches are very tied to an offensive approach. It seems Rhule's approach is more catholic (small c). Get the best players you can and adapt the offensive play calling to those players. With the addition of Dowdell, NU has four back that should be able to be productive playing Power 5 opponents. Raiola at the very least won't make every passing attempt an adventure that may not have a satisfactory outcome.

Decades? I'd say Tommy Armstrong was a pretty decent recruit for what Beck was trying to do (#9 dual threat QB per Rivals). AMart was the #7 dual threat QB in 2018, Smothers was the #4 dual threat QB in 2020 and Purdy #8. Of these four, TA won a lot of games and had monster stats. Amart had monster stats, but did not win many games. The other two carried clipboards.
Well dual threat is typically a nice way of saying they don't think they will be able to pass very well. I'm not talking about about dual threat though, I'm talking about guys ranked in top 20 lets say at QB not some specific type of QB. And more importantly guys that were recruited by the best schools.

Which is worse than 294 QBs over the last 3 years.
Taulia Tagovailoa threw 11. It’s not a stretch to think that a true freshmen would throw 4 more than Tagovailoa especially if we go full pro style pass offense.

Last edited:
There were three that threw 16+ last year. Your point is still valid in terms of 15 being really, really low bar.

How many QBs who threw 12 or more INTs were benched. Probably lots. Does anybody really think that Raiola gets benched if he averages 1.3 INTs per game?

Taulia Tagolaivoa threw 11. It’s not a stretch to think that a true freshmen would throw 4 more than Tagolaivoa especially if we go full pro style pass offense.
Again, not to belabor the point. But literally 6 guys over the past 3 seasons have thrown 15 or more picks.

Davis Brin (G-SR) from Ga Southern had 19 INT in 552 attempts in 2023
Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi (RFR) Colorado St had 16 in 470 attempts in 2023
Haynes King (So) Georgia Tech 16 in 367 attempts in 2023
Kyle Vantrease (Sr) Ga Southern had 16 in 604 attempts in 2022
Austin Aune (Jr) North Texas had 15 in 411 attempts in 2022
Davis Brin (Jr) Tulsa had 16 in 411 attempts in 2021

That's it. That is the list of QBs who have individually thrown for 15 or more interceptions in 3 seasons. So I would indeed say it would be a stretch for a QB to throw 15 considering in 3 years there have only been 5 dudes to actually do it.

Again, not to belabor the point. But literally 6 guys over the past 3 seasons have thrown 15 or more picks.

Davis Brin (G-SR) from Ga Southern had 19 INT in 552 attempts in 2023
Brayden Fowler-Nicolosi (RFR) Colorado St had 16 in 470 attempts in 2023
Haynes King (So) Georgia Tech 16 in 367 attempts in 2023
Kyle Vantrease (Sr) Ga Southern had 16 in 604 attempts in 2022
Austin Aune (Jr) North Texas had 15 in 411 attempts in 2022
Davis Brin (Jr) Tulsa had 16 in 411 attempts in 2021

That's it. That is the list of QBs who have individually thrown for 15 or more interceptions in 3 seasons. So I would indeed say it would be a stretch for a QB to throw 15 considering in 3 years there have only been 5 dudes to actually do it.
And my point is that guys who were on track to throw that many normally get benched and don’t get the opportunity to throw 15. Raiola isn’t going to get benched unless he’s throwing 2-3/game and even then he might not get benched. IF we had Michigan’s O line I could see him cutting that done to 6-7 but we don’t. He’s going to throw picks. I’ll happily eat a large crow if I’m wrong.

And my point is that guys who were on track to throw that many normally get benched and don’t get the opportunity to throw 15. Raiola isn’t going to get benched unless he’s throwing 2-3/game and even then he might not get benched. IF we had Michigan’s O line I could see him cutting that done to 6-7 but we don’t. He’s going to throw picks. I’ll happily eat a large crow if I’m wrong.
Again, cfbstats.com will have the data for you to research how many QBs in whatever range of INT you want to use as your base to determine how many were benched before having the ability to throw 15 or more.

When discussing INT numbers, it might be a good idea to calculate INTs/attempt and/or INTs/completion.
Tagolaivoa threw an average of 36 times per game this year. His INT/attempt was 2.5%. Haarberg's INT/attempt was 4.4%. TMart's was 3.6% his first year and 3.3% his junior year. Trevor Lawrence's was 1% his freshman year.
Put Raiola's percentage between TMart and Lawrence. A 2.5% rate for Raiola at 30 attempts/game is only 9 INTs for 12 games. Thirty pass attempts per game equals 43% pass/57% run for an average of 70 plays per game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT