ADVERTISEMENT

Who is starting QB game #1 ?

Not starting DR on day 1 means the coaching staff would have to be either 1) the dumbest staff on the planet or 2) mind-controlled by Kong, thall or Shine.

Reactions: jimmykrackedkorn
If Raiola isn’t the Day 1 Starter, that falls more on the Coaching Staff. The playbook doesn’t need to be like learning Greek.
I think, physically, he has the tools. It’s also a team sport. It ain’t tennis.
With the D we have and the early portion of the schedule should make it where there shouldn’t be a ton of pressure on him to win the games. Lord knows the offense didn’t win any last year. We won’t be in any shootouts early on.
I’m sure there will be a special emphasis by the Oline to protect nephew.
With Dante, Emmett, and the pieces we have at the WR/TE position, emphasis should also be on those positions to pick up their game and not make it where DR has to put everything on his shoulders.
Thr complexities of a college offense and the responsibilities of the QB are immense. I know some Greek, it isn't even a close comparison. All of the areas you list are static, only based in what Nebraska does. There are some teams that would love to get into the head of a true freshman QB.

If someone held a gun to my head and had to answer the OPs question I would say DR is the starter based on the names we know right now. That said, I feel equally confident he will struggle. How much and how long remain to be seen.

Thr complexities of a college offense and the responsibilities of the QB are immense. I know some Greek, it isn't even a close comparison. All of the areas you list are static, only based in what Nebraska does. There are some teams that would love to get into the head of a true freshman QB.

If someone held a gun to my head and had to answer the OPs question I would say DR is the starter based on the names we know right now. That said, I feel equally confident he will struggle. How much and how long remain to be seen.
I think most would agree with you. I don’t believe he will come in and not make mistakes. He will struggle at times, and maybe even mightily at times. Will those struggles be more detrimental to the team than what someone else might bring to the table? That’s where most seem to think his struggles will still be better than what we would get out of HH.

I read that Dave Remington said he thought Riola will not be ready to start by the first game. I’m thinking if he doesn’t start who does ?

Kaelin won’t be ready if Riola isn’t. HH ? Too many memories of overthrown balls into the hands of a safety. Also, HH is a run first quarterback, who is susceptible to injury. A walk on ? Can’t see a walk on starting with the #1 QB in the nation on the bench

We need a one-year portal transfer QB to be the transition of Raiola to the starter. Casey would have been perfect as well as the OSU and Maryland QBs.
Raiola.

I think most would agree with you. I don’t believe he will come in and not make mistakes. He will struggle at times, and maybe even mightily at times. Will those struggles be more detrimental to the team than what someone else might bring to the table? That’s where most seem to think his struggles will still be better than what we would get out of HH.
I am not sure most would agree. I see a lot of, he's a 5*, the best of the best, will be here in the spring, yadda yadda yadda. When I say he could struggle, I mean it could be significant and detrimental to both him and the team. It would be one thing for a Bama or tOSU or even Michigan start a freshman QB but quite another for Nebraska. It is safe to say, although I would expect us to be much better on the O side of the ball, there are holes and deficiencies that will manifest themselves as this team moves forward. Will Rhule and Co have answers if the O line can't hold up or WR's can figure out if they are running patterns against a zone, switching M to M or full press M to M. Is there enough of a running game to take pressure off the QB? It is quite one thing to hit some nice passes when the going is easy but when we get into playing the big boys who are bringing pressure from every direction - every aspect of the O will be tested.

I am excited to see what this team looks like and how we hold up on both sides of the ball. I also hope for true growth and not a beat down that causes mental and physical beat downs.

I read that Dave Remington said he thought Riola will not be ready to start by the first game. I’m thinking if he doesn’t start who does ?

Kaelin won’t be ready if Riola isn’t. HH ? Too many memories of overthrown balls into the hands of a safety. Also, HH is a run first quarterback, who is susceptible to injury. A walk on ? Can’t see a walk on starting with the #1 QB in the nation on the bench

We need a one-year portal transfer QB to be the transition of Raiola to the starter. Casey would have been perfect as well as the OSU and Maryland QBs.
Which is why I was more excited about McCord than DR. Was hoping he could come in for a year while DR sat and learned, and then be ready to go the following year.

Not sure how the McCord deal fell through. Every recruiting service and crystal balls had McCord 100% to Nebraska. I was very disappointed when that fell through.

I get what you’re saying. And maybe I was being too general. I’m just saying there are things that can help his transition But given what we have coming back at QB, I still bet DR.

Which is why I was more excited about McCord than DR. Was hoping he could come in for a year while DR sat and learned, and then be ready to go the following year.

Not sure how the McCord deal fell through. Every recruiting service and crystal balls had McCord 100% to Nebraska. I was very disappointed when that fell through.
Rhule would not guarantee him the starting job, so he took his ball elsewhere.

The deal fell through because either McCord didn’t want to take the chance of spending the year carrying a clip board, or interest from NU subsided once DR was in the fold. Rhule said things with McCord didn’t progress to an offer. If Rhule was concerned about Raiola being ready, he would have tried to land McCord.

You guys so easily forget both Martinez’ started as true freshman and did well enough. Raoila can start day one especially with our first 6 games being our easiest
I think Frazier started as a freshman as well. Although he was a midseason replacement for Mike Grant if I remember correctly. Different style of offense, though.

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
That's so dumb to me that high school and college kids now want guarantees from coaches to start or they will go elsewhere.

It's like, earn the job you ungrateful little yuppie larvae.
Don’t hate da playa, hate da game

Unless it’s a starter that transfers out, then hate that guy

You guys so easily forget both Martinez’ started as true freshman and did well enough. Raoila can start day one especially with our first 6 games being our easiest
You make a good point. The exception I would suggest is they both had excellent ability to use their legs and that was in fact their Trump card. DR does not have that, he will be expected to perform more from pure passing. I could be all wrong.

You make a good point. The exception I would suggest is they both had excellent ability to use their legs and that was in fact their Trump card. DR does not have that, he will be expected to perform more from pure passing. I could be all wrong.
You are correct. The passing game for both TM and AM was look at your first option then tuck the ball and run if that isn’t open. IF we eliminate QB run as some think a lot more is going to be expected from Raiola in his reads. My expectation is that he’ll average between 1 and 2 INTs/game.

• Haha
Reactions: SeaOfRed75
It should be Dylan Raiola early and often,I agree the first 6 games are very winnable and should set Nebraska up for at least their first bowl game in what 8 years????

remmington used to push cars around Lincoln for a workout..so your not dealing with the sharpest knife.
purdy would still be here if railoa wasen't starting day 1

Last edited:
You are correct. The passing game for both TM and AM was look at your first option then tuck the ball and run if that isn’t open. IF we eliminate QB run as some think a lot more is going to be expected from Raiola in his reads. My expectation is that he’ll average between 1 and 2 INTs/game.
So you’re also seeing an improvement over last year?

So you expect 10-20 interceptions from Raiola in his freshman year if he plays most of the season. Wow 😲 aren't you the Debbie Downer.

So you’re also seeing an improvement over last year?
It couldn’t be worse than last year could it? People are expecting him to produce similar numbers to his senior year of high school. That is highly unlikely.

It couldn’t be worse than last year could it? People are expecting him to produce similar numbers to his senior year of high school. That is highly unlikely.
I agree in that i don’t see it being worse. That said, I don’t think people are expecting senior year type stuff… maybe praying for that, but I see an awful lot of people tempering their expectations due to his age, while also be excited to see his talent. I think it lies somewhere in the middle. But that could just be me.

Well let's hope you are wrong and he has maybe 20 or so TDs and 6-8 interceptions. I think those kind of numbers would get them to a winning record and a bowl game.

That is a huge difference. Averaging between 1 and 2 INT per game. So between 12 and 24 no bowl, and 14 and 28 with a bowl game???? Stepping out on a limb.

15 picks for 1 QB is a ton. If I am not mistaken, there were only 3 QBs last year, in the whole country, who threw 15 or more picks. In 2022 there were 2 and only 1 in 2021.

So somewhere between 1 pick and worse than 294 other QBs over the past 3 years.

You Can Do It Game GIF by Complex Games

we are not going to do the turn over thing next year. been there done that plenty.
I'm sure rhule starts each meeting with the don't turn the ball over motto...
keep ball = win..for the slower guys

That seems to be the common narrative, but it's not true.
TMart had his best season as a junior. He was back to 100% and was also the all-BiG TeN QB that year.
Hmm. Thanks. I'll have to check, not that I don't believe you. I just remember thinking potential Heisman winner eventually during freshman year. Only to be disappointed.

Simple question.... Do you think DR can average 100 yards a game with a qb rating of 40 and a 1 to 1 TD to INT ratio? If so, he's an upgrade.

Last edited:
Hmm. Thanks. I'll have to check, not that I don't believe you. I just remember thinking potential Heisman winner eventually during freshman year. Only to be disappointed.
Well I'm going to not count t mart senior season due to injury. His qb rating improved slightly every year. Redshirt freshman year he averaged 6 yards per carry.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT