ADVERTISEMENT

Who is starting QB game #1 ?

NUSouth

Senior
Oct 25, 2009
I read that Dave Remington said he thought Riola will not be ready to start by the first game. I’m thinking if he doesn’t start who does ?

Kaelin won’t be ready if Riola isn’t. HH ? Too many memories of overthrown balls into the hands of a safety. Also, HH is a run first quarterback, who is susceptible to injury. A walk on ? Can’t see a walk on starting with the #1 QB in the nation on the bench

We need a one-year portal transfer QB to be the transition of Raiola to the starter. Casey would have been perfect as well as the OSU and Maryland QBs.

I read that Dave Remington said he thought Riola will not be ready to start by the first game. I’m thinking if he doesn’t start who does ?

Kaelin won’t be ready if Riola isn’t. HH ? Too many memories of overthrown balls into the hands of a safety. Also, HH is a run first quarterback, who is susceptible to injury. A walk on ? Can’t see a walk on starting with the #1 QB in the nation on the bench

We need a one-year portal transfer QB to be the transition of Raiola to the starter. Casey would have been perfect as well as the OSU and Maryland QBs.
Did he really say that? Or was he just imparting that Husker Fans should temper their expectations?

People would lose their mind. That said, Raiola’s performance in that all star game didn’t change my opinion that he’s going to struggle at times in his first year.
I also don’t expect him to be Heisman candidate either..

Even Manning struggled at time’s his freshman year..

This is the thing most husker fans don’t get. There’s a number 1 high school qb every year. They don’t always start and rarely set the world on fire. Are we ready for Dylan to not be ready? We better be…

This is the thing most husker fans don’t get. There’s a number 1 high school qb every year. They don’t always start and rarely set the world on fire. Are we ready for Dylan to not be ready? We better be…
Honestly, we might be better off starting Haarberg. Yeah I’ll duck and run for cover. The one thing helping him will be the soft early season schedule. We HAVE to do a better job of protecting the QB because Raiola pretty clearly doesn’t have the wheels any of our QBs had last fall. DC’s are going to send the house at him.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Honestly, we might be better off starting Haarberg. Yeah I’ll duck and run for cover. The one thing helping him will be the soft early season schedule. We HAVE to do a better job of protecting the QB because Raiola pretty clearly doesn’t have the wheels any of our QBs had last fall. DC’s are going to send the house at him.
I’m more worried about dylan adjusting the mental side of the game. Everything will be sped up from what he is used to and defensive coordinators will try to confuse him with coverages and blitzes. All the talent in the world won’t stop you from being suckered and taken advantage of due to inexperience.

People would lose their mind. That said, Raiola’s performance in that all star game didn’t change my opinion that he’s going to struggle at times in his first year.
He’ll have some Freshman moments for sure. If you’re a little nervous about a game where they threw a bunch of different guys together and said, get to know each other quick, I wouldn’t sweat too much.
If he wasn’t an EE, I would be a lot more concerned.

He should be starting day 1. This is what building something looks like. He'll get us to a bowl (not expecting Big 6), and win or lose, the first year jitters will be behind us and bigger things ahead of us.

Did you have amnesia this season? I’ll take some of his freshman mistakes, but nothing could compare and be like Sims, Haarburgh and Purdy..
Just because we had bad qb play, doesn’t mean a true freshman will be an improvement from HH with multiple starts under his belt. Long term, I have no doubt DR is better. But game 1? No one has a clue what will happen, just expectations and opinions.

He should be starting day 1. This is what building something looks like. He'll get us to a bowl (not expecting Big 6), and win or lose, the first year jitters will be behind us and bigger things ahead of us.
What if he doesn’t get us to a bowl?

DR better be the starter. HH is a train wreck. DR will make Freshman mistakes. HH will make those same mistakes, but as a veteran, plus will add nothing athletically to the position. He can’t pass. He is an overrated runner. He can’t read defenses. And he is a turnover machine. DR will be the starter barring injury.
We all hope this is true, but HH won multiple games as a starter, will be healthy and we have no idea how Dylan will adjust to the college game. I think Dylan will be fine and be the day 1 starter, but I’m also prepared for him not to be, to struggle year 1 and sacrifice another year for the long term rebuild. Is everyone else? Because it’s possible. Putting all your eggs in a true freshman qb is risky business.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just because we had bad qb play, doesn’t mean a true freshman will be an improvement from HH with multiple starts under his belt. Long term, I have no doubt DR is better. But game 1? No one has a clue what will happen, just expectations and opinions.
We also don’t have the luxury of quality QB starting game one..
Just because HH has started doesn’t mean it’s the direction that this staff wants to go for the future..

kong cried because HH never had any game experience, so the only way you get experience is to play…

f6a4d058-1719-45ef-a676-cf67e10841bd_text.gif

We also don’t have the luxury of quality QB starting game one..
Just because HH has started doesn’t mean it’s the direction that this staff wants to go for the future..

kong cried because HH never had any game experience, so the only way you get experience is to play…
So if we are in the spot come September where HH give us the best chance to win now and DR is the future, which should the staff choose? I feel like the answer is person dependent. If HH can get us to a bowl game now and DR can’t, does HH start? Or do we sacrifice 2024 for long term? I know my answer but many won’t agree

Reactions: BleedRed78
We all hope this is true, but HH won multiple games as a starter, will be healthy and we have no idea how Dylan will adjust to the college game. I think Dylan will be fine and be the day 1 starter, but I’m also prepared for him not to be, to struggle year 1 and sacrifice another year for the long term rebuild. Is everyone else? Because it’s possible. Putting all your eggs in a true freshman qb is risky business.
HH didn’t win shit. Our defense won those games. If we had had an average defense those would have all been losses. Our offense last year was the worst in the entire history of modern Husker football. And total crap QB play was a huge reason why. HH stinks as a QB. One of the worst I have ever seen at NU. He is an emergency use backup and nothing more.

So if we are in the spot come September where HH give us the best chance to win now and DR is the future, which should the staff choose? I feel like the answer is person dependent. If HH can get us to a bowl game now and DR can’t, does HH start? Or do we sacrifice 2024 for long term? I know my answer but many won’t agree
HH will never give us “the best chance to win”.

HH didn’t win shit. Our defense won those games. If we had had an average defense those would have all been losses. Our offense last year was the worst in the entire history of modern Husker football. And total crap QB play was a huge reason why. HH stinks as a QB. One of the worst I have ever seen at NU. He is an emergency use backup and nothing more.
I agree with everything above. None of it is a guarantee DR makes it better from day 1

HH will never give us “the best chance to win”.
So HH is worse than mcaffrey was? He was worse than sims? Just because he wasn’t good, doesn’t mean he doesn’t give us the best chance to win. You have no idea what we have when our only other options will be true freshmen

Reactions: BleedRed78
Give me a break HH isn’t the best chance to win now or any other time..

3rd string insurance policy is what he will become..

We already sacrificed 2023 cause we didn’t have any quality QB’s.
Cmon Forrest..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT