ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s starting QB is not currently on the team

The kind of portal QB people would salivate over aren’t coming to a team where the QB gets hit so hard he’s bleeding from the mouth. I’d be recruiting durable kids with passing skills that can be polished. This offense should attract better RB talent.
I don't think you can hang your hat on the OL on that one. HH rolled out of the pocket and because he drastically lacks field recognition, he was rewarded for it.

The kind of portal QB people would salivate over aren’t coming to a team where the QB gets hit so hard he’s bleeding from the mouth. I’d be recruiting durable kids with passing skills that can be polished. This offense should attract better RB talent.
Yeah that hit was nobody’s fault but his own.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
From what I have seen he seems skeptical we’ll find anyone better assuming Haarberg continues to develop.

To me the portal seems overblown as far its potential to be a cure-all, especially at the QB position. Less so than at the NFL level, but there just aren’t that many good QBs. So it doesn’t seem a given there will be decent let alone good options — and for those ones there will be a lot of competition. Last offseason we got Scott at C (who had a Nebraska connection luckily) but we missed out on a number of other decent transfers we went after, probably because of our recent struggles. But of course we should still try. I just have lower expectations for it.

LSU begs to differ a few years back when they took Joe Burrows.

Quite a few in 2023.

2024 possible transfer QB's.

Last edited:
The explanation the B1G gave during the 60 minute replay last night was that there’s an imaginary 6” circle on the defender’s helmet that has to be involved or it’s not targeting. It was BS.

Exactly! We've had a few over the last few years called on us that were nonsense when compared to the hit on HH.

Most of the punishment HH takes is of his own doing. He's a big target that changes direction with the all grace and speed of an aircraft carrier.

Quite a few in 2023.
It’s still a crapshoot IMO and when you look at that list there might only be a 5-6 of those guys who might be better than what we have for the offense we want to run. I would have liked to have Card and kept Casey Thompson but CT wasn’t going to hold up in the QB run game.

I guess I’ll leave the decision up to Rhule. Watching NW’s QB Sullivan last night I couldn’t help but think he would be pretty good in our offense. Ironically I think his dad was a starting college center…

Reactions: arf_man and wkato
I have noticed a bit of a regression on HHs part when taking hits this year. He came out the gates, lowering his head into contact and going to the ground, avoiding big hits, or delivering them. Now, he is looking awfully taylor martinezish, slowing down, straightening up, and just getting crushed. I think he just needs to throw the ball away, live to play another down, or series, go down when he sees dudes coming, or even sliding. It just all seems very awkward. He is a big dude, and guys are laying into him, so he needs to be smarter. He just seemed dazed at times saturday.

I have noticed a bit of a regression on HHs part when taking hits this year. He came out the gates, lowering his head into contact and going to the ground, avoiding big hits, or delivering them. Now, he is looking awfully taylor martinezish, slowing down, straightening up, and just getting crushed. I think he just needs to throw the ball away, live to play another down, or series, go down when he sees dudes coming, or even sliding. It just all seems very awkward. He is a big dude, and guys are laying into him, so he needs to be smarter. He just seemed dazed at times saturday.
He’s being coached no doubt to try to avoid big hits. Never a good idea to be passive in taking a hit.

Glad you said that, I've noticed that also. His run game has changed a lot to the point he hesitates more.

We have seen Sims and Purdy play. That's why they're coaching him to avoid contact. But he's not naturally suited to make people miss.

We have seen Sims and Purdy play. That's why they're coaching him to avoid contact. But he's not naturally suited to make people miss.
If I was him (big, strong, fast kid) I would hate to have to avoid contact. Id want to be punishing dudes, but at a certain point, like now, he just needs to survive and advance. Those 2 LBs for PU were really good and he took some big hits.

We have not seen Purdy play in this offense with this play caller. Personally I think Purdy will redshirt and maybe be back.
purdy already redshirted in 2021. in fact, he's now enjoyed the benefit of 3 freshman seasons thanks to COVID.

and he of course will be back because he's currently a RS Soph.

none of that makes his arm any stronger or his nerves any calmer, unfortunately.

Most of the punishment HH takes is of his own doing. He's a big target that changes direction with the all grace and speed of an aircraft carrier.
Never thought I would see one less agile than T Martinez, but HH may just be.

Quite a few in 2023.

Some pretty decent QBs potentially, and I bet we get one. Let’s face it, HH is not a good QB. He’s decent, he’s got some speed, and he’s the best we have right now and can beat mediocre teams. But we need more upside in the future and guys to replace Sims and Purdy. I could even see us taking just one QB from the portal and rolling with 3 in 2024 and taking 2 for 2025.
I don’t think we will have the QB run as much in the future, as I didn’t see SCar run the qb much at all when Satt was there. Right now I think they run the QB because they have to and it works a bit.

Quite a few in 2023.

Not too many like Joe Burrow and Sam Hartman, and we have not been at the level of LSU and ND recently. A lot of mediocrity or worse on that 2023 list and a lot of competition for the few decent ones. That’s my point. Sure, we’ll try though.

Reactions: king_kong_
He’s being coached no doubt to try to avoid big hits. Never a good idea to be passive in taking a hit.
I think he's got this mindset to take it to the house every time and dish it out as much as he takes it because he is as big as a linebacker and bigger than everyone in the secondary. Not smart. Safeties are assassins.

Learn to run toward the marker to extend the drive and learn how to pitch the damn ball already. Its gonna suck if he gets hurt because our qb room is just awful.

Some pretty decent QBs potentially, and I bet we get one. Let’s face it, HH is not a good QB. He’s decent, he’s got some speed, and he’s the best we have right now and can beat mediocre teams. But we need more upside in the future and guys to replace Sims and Purdy. I could even see us taking just one QB from the portal and rolling with 3 in 2024 and taking 2 for 2025.
I don’t think we will have the QB run as much in the future, as I didn’t see SCar run the qb much at all when Satt was there. Right now I think they run the QB because they have to and it works a bit.

The point is you don't know until you make a move in or out of the portal. No one knew Burrows was going to blow up like he did. Sad thing is, had he come to Nebraska at that time he wouldn't have. You get nowhere by taking the approach no one in the portal is worth it.

The point is you don't know until you make a move in or out of the portal. No one knew Burrows was going to blow up like he did. Sad thing is, had he come to Nebraska at that time he wouldn't have. You get nowhere by taking the approach no one in the portal is worth it.
Exactly. Gotta get a guy, hopefully one of the top 3 available QBs. We already know Sims and Purdy aren’t worth even keeping on the roster.
The rumor I like is Kienholz from tOSU. Also like that 4 star from UGA that is going to be the odd man out with that stacked roster they have.

I'd like to see how HH develops with his throwing in the last few games. He's got the arm, just not the towards. For me, I just wish he had a little more flow to his lateral movements.

I am still right.

giphy.gif

I hope that we have somebody at QB next year that seems as good as what most other teams have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT