ADVERTISEMENT

Who is starting QB game #1 ?

Haarberg has the benefit of actually having played against P5 defenses and he knows the entire offense inside and out now. There’s a chance that he wouldn’t make some of the mistakes he made last fall. That said, I’m not arguing that he should be the starter game one. That’s a judgement that our staff has to make after weeks of practice. The odds are that Heinrich will be QB2.
I think the offense we were “forced” to run last year will not be the same. We will not be relying on triple option and read option sets this next year. The offense will look much different with DR and DK here.

I've never understood the thinking that coaches wouldn't want to play the guy who gives them the best chance to win at any position. Maybe Raiola turns out to be a bit underwhelming compared to his hype, but he's a big kid, has a big arm, has had access to elite training, and most importantly, will be in Lincoln for spring ball. Also, NU just hired a guy with a legit QB coaching resume. The season starts with UTEP, CU, UNI and Ill. That's a nice early season break in period.
OP who started this thread and others seem to forget AM2 started his first game as a true freshman. And this comes off a Senior year in HS that he took exactly 0 snaps the entire year. I think Dylan will be fine.

a dark horse if they don’t want to throw Dylan to the wolves could be Luke Longval to start the season. A legit QB coach will help all. Maybe even HH

Even Tommy needed a few games before he played as a freshman
Tommy didn’t start right away because TO had Senior Mike Grant to rely on, but Frazier played in Nebraska late in the 4thQ in 4 of the 5 previous games in 1992..

Rhule doesn’t have that luxury that Osborne had,

I think the offense we were “forced” to run last year will not be the same. We will not be relying on triple option and read option sets this next year. The offense will look much different with DR and DK here.
The play calling will definitely be different for Raiola but the base offense won’t change that much. I will be surprised if some form of QB option run completely disappears from the playbook. It HAS to stay in if Haarberg’s our backup.

Reactions: RBigredMax
Kong right now

481047.jpg

anyone comparing our QB situation to Clemson or Alabama, etc have automatically disqualified themselves from this conversation.
We had perhaps the worst QB room in NCAA division I history. And only one of those yahoos is back. And he’s a TE pretending to be a QB and it shows.
OMG a true freshman QB might have some ups and downs in his first season?!? Stop the press!! Thanks for that groundbreaking deep hard-hitting analysis. Wow, it never occurred to any of us regular fans.
It’s really not that hard. If Rhule thinks HH gives us a better shot than DR then he should probably be sent packing for gross incompetence.

What are the fan expectations? If people think we’re playing for a Natty, they’re crazy. But I don’t think that’s the case. I’m not even sure if people think we make a bowl game next year.

Oh really? I've seen more than one playoff prediction on this board. Probably outlying predictions though. Hopefully.

anyone comparing our QB situation to Clemson or Alabama, etc have automatically disqualified themselves from this conversation.
We had perhaps the worst QB room in NCAA division I history. And only one of those yahoos is back. And he’s a TE pretending to be a QB and it shows.
OMG a true freshman QB might have some ups and downs in his first season?!? Stop the press!! Thanks for that groundbreaking deep hard-hitting analysis. Wow, it never occurred to any of us regular fans.
It’s really not that hard. If Rhule thinks HH gives us a better shot than DR then he should probably be sent packing for gross incompetence.
You’re missing the point. The point is that we don’t know where DR is right now in terms of being game ready. He’s the most talented qb on the roster. No doubt. That doesn’t mean he’s the best or gives us the best chance to win week one. He may be all of those things and I hope he starts. But for anyone to say that he gives us the best chance to win starting week one? That’s nothing more than an opinion and MAY NOT be the case. We don’t know the answer there yet. That’s it. That’s all I’ve said. But apparently suggesting a true freshman may not be the best option week 1 is apparently equivalent to saying the earth is flat

Reactions: dinglefritz
You’re missing the point. The point is that we don’t know where DR is right now in terms of being game ready. He’s the most talented qb on the roster. No doubt. That doesn’t mean he’s the best or gives us the best chance to win week one. He may be all of those things and I hope he starts. But for anyone to say that he gives us the best chance to win starting week one? That’s nothing more than an opinion and MAY NOT be the case. We don’t know the answer there yet. That’s it. That’s all I’ve said. But apparently suggesting a true freshman may not be the best option week 1 is apparently equivalent to saying the earth is flat
By this logic - you would take HH to be the starter over any qb in the country that has not taken a college snap. That’s the error in your argument to stand there and say “because he’s played he gives us the best chance to win” and stating it as fact because we have seen him take snaps and have not seen the other guys play actual college ball.

I suggest you buy a ticket to the spring game and watch all the candidates for next fall than come up who you think will give us the chance to win against UTEP and moving forward..

I suggest you buy a ticket to the spring game and watch all the candidates for next fall than come up who you think will give us the chance to win against UTEP and moving forward..
By the spring game we may have our answer. If DR is ahead of HH, then roll with it. But he hasn’t even attended one practice. I think calling him the week 1 starter today is a little premature.

By this logic - you would take HH to be the starter over any qb in the country that has not taken a college snap. That’s the error in your argument to stand there and say “because he’s played he gives us the best chance to win” and stating it as fact because we have seen him take snaps and have not seen the other guys play actual college ball.
That’s not even remotely what I said. I never said HH gives us the best chance to win. I never said HH should start. I said we don’t know as of today. Very different but nice try.

Raiola is supposed to be the blue chip QB of blue chip QBs. He will be on the roster for spring ball and have the entire summer to work as well. I think he'll be as ready as a freshman can be.
Yeah, but we don’t know, do we?

Excited Chris Farley GIF

You also are missing the point. Our QB play was so dreadful last year that even modest improvement by HH is most likely not enough to eclipse what DR could do as a true freshman.

Technically, you are right. DR may come in a struggle mightily. But the opposite could be true as well. He could come in and light it up. You are trying too hard to make everyone here say, “Oh yeah, you are right,” when the QB play of last year was so bad that if DR can’t improve on that he never should have been considered the top QB in HS this past year.

Everyone agrees that he will make mistakes. But almost no one agrees with you that HH gives us a better chance to win. You’ve made your point. You’ve repeated your point. Time to stop saying the same thing in every post and let the chips fall.

By the spring game we may have our answer. If DR is ahead of HH, then roll with it. But he hasn’t even attended one practice. I think calling him the week 1 starter today is a little premature.
I think saying he may not be ready is equally premature. You don’t know any more than the rest of us. It’s an opinion.

I think saying he may not be ready is equally premature. You don’t know any more than the rest of us. It’s an opinion.
Saying he may not be ready isn’t a statement of fact. It’s pointing out it’s a possibility. Not the same. My opinion is based on the fact that we don’t know. So I agree that I have no idea…no one does. But I’m not out here saying he gives us the best chance to win. I think that’s probably true but I’m open to it not being true.

Also, if you want me to quit restating my point, quit trying to pick it apart. But the suggestion I’m an idiot (as others have said) by stating that we don’t know what we have yet will provoke a reply. Until he practices/plays and shows it during a game, it’s all projection based on high school recruiting rankings. It’s not the same thing.

In this all-too-early question I'll guess that HH is the starter game #1.

If DR is everything he's expected to be I could see him getting almost equal playing time and progressing to the starting role by mid season.
2 out of the 3 qb's aren't like the other. So you spend spring and fall camp installing an offense that HH isn't suited to run but have him start? Or do you spend that time installing an offense for HH to run and then pivot if DR wins the starting job?

DR is very likely the game 1 starter. Unless he is totally lost. This might upset some people but a 5 star qb doesn't enroll early on a team that hasn't been to a bowl game in 7 years to sit. We aren't USC or Bama.

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Saying he may not be ready isn’t a statement of fact. It’s pointing out it’s a possibility. Not the same. My opinion is based on the fact that we don’t know. So I agree that I have no idea…no one does. But I’m not out here saying he gives us the best chance to win. I think that’s probably true but I’m open to it not being true.

Also, if you want me to quit restating my point, quit trying to pick it apart. But the suggestion I’m an idiot (as others have said) by stating that we don’t know what we have yet will provoke a reply. Until he practices/plays and shows it during a game, it’s all projection based on high school recruiting rankings. It’s not the same thing.
I am still trying to figure out what your point is. Literally everything in the future is unknown and any attempt to guess about future decisions would be an opinion. Stating possibilities on either side of the argument is an opinion.

nailed it

Reactions: huskers360
Haarberg has the benefit of actually having played against P5 defenses and he knows the entire offense inside and out now. There’s a chance that he wouldn’t make some of the mistakes he made last fall. That said, I’m not arguing that he should be the starter game one. That’s a judgement that our staff has to make after weeks of practice. The odds are that Heinrich will be QB2.
He does not know the offense inside and out. The offense we run this fall likely won't be the same. At least it better not be. Unless we installed a passing offense last year and used 10% of it.

I am still trying to figure out what your point is. Literally everything in the future is unknown and any attempt to guess about future decisions would be an opinion. Stating possibilities on either side of the argument is an opinion.
Doing his best Tommy Boy routine

Tommy didn’t start right away because TO had Senior Mike Grant to rely on, but Frazier played in Nebraska late in the 4thQ in 4 of the 5 previous games in 1992..

Rhule doesn’t have that luxury that Osborne had,
This seems to be hard for some people to grasp. We really don't have a normal P5 qb room. Our starter was a liability any time he dropped back. That can't happen going forward. We also open with a team that I believe was ranked at the bottom of D1 defenses last year. Perfect warm up game. This isn't like last year with a conference road night game opener.

Reactions: Mack In Motion

I never called it a fact. I called your statement an opinion as clear as could be in my post. And you want to call it a possibility, not an opinion… but it really is just an opinion you have. Is it possible? Sure. But if you’re gonna say what you are suggesting is not an opinion, it’s a possibility, how is that different from everyone else posting in this thread?

We don’t know what DR will look like til the bullets fly. But a lot of betting people are putting their money on DR. They may be wrong, sure. But the converse is true as well. They just might be right. And the majority are saying that DR, freshman mistakes and all, will still be the better choice.

And I can’t disagree with that.

So much this.

Who cares what playoff teams have done in the past in their QB room?

Who cares what happened in 1992 in our QB room, when we had gone 9-3, 9-2-1, 9-3, 10-2 in the years prior and had continuity up and down the roster?

None of that applies here.

We're coming off a 5-7 season.

Our QB room consists of Joe Bauserman and two highly regarded incoming freshman.

DR didn't come here to "develop" behind a tight end bailing out a team that has no other viable option at QB1.

If Kaelin beats DR out, and he'll have the chance, then so be it. But its not going to be HH, he's no more "ready" to play QB1 here than either of those two kids.

Last edited:
I never called it a fact. I called your statement an opinion as clear as could be in my post. And you want to call it a possibility, not an opinion… but it really is just an opinion you have. Is it possible? Sure. But if you’re gonna say what you are suggesting is not an opinion, it’s a possibility, how is that different from everyone else posting in this thread?

We don’t know what DR will look like til the bullets fly. But a lot of betting people are putting their money on DR. They may be wrong, sure. But the converse is true as well. They just might be right. And the majority are saying that DR, freshman mistakes and all, will still be the better choice.

And I can’t disagree with that.
Here’s the difference. And this is my last post: saying that DR is the best option without acknowledging the possibility of any other outcome is an absurd take when he’s never played. My opinion is he will be, but I also admit that it may not play out that way. This whole thing stated when someone said “he’s the best qb we have” and I merely said we can’t possibly know that yet. It went off the rails as I took a position of “we think he’s the best but he’s never played so it’s hard to state that as a fact”. My position has been misconstrued in so many ways, when my only point was let’s see him play before HH gets relegated to clipboard duty. You’d think this fanbase would be a little more measured in true freshman hype as we’ve had so many busts over the last 20 years.

Agree. But you said “HH will never give us the best chance to win”. Which is absolutely not true. You have no idea if DR will be a better college qb than HH for the season opener. Long term? Of course. But not day 1
Unless he is hurt, he will be much better that’s obvious.

Here’s the difference. And this is my last post: saying that DR is the best option without acknowledging the possibility of any other outcome is an absurd take when he’s never played. My opinion is he will be, but I also admit that it may not play out that way. This whole thing stated when someone said “he’s the best qb we have” and I merely said we can’t possibly know that yet. It went off the rails as I took a position of “we think he’s the best but he’s never played so it’s hard to state that as a fact”. My position has been misconstrued in so many ways, when my only point was let’s see him play before HH gets relegated to clipboard duty. You’d think this fanbase would be a little more measured in true freshman hype as we’ve had so many busts over the last 20 years.
Double nailed it

If there was any chance of anyone starting other than Raiola, then Purdy doesn't leave.
There was a chance. Just not a very good one. Same is true for HH. Haarberg will most likely improve his QB skills with the new coach. But so will the two new guys.
There was a comparable situation in 2010. There were two QBs on the roster that played in 2009. A redshirt freshman named Taylor Martinez started over them. I assumed Lee would start and didn't know Martinez was even in the mix until we started seeing reports out of fall camp.
Raiola's not bringing the Heisman back to Lincoln as a freshman, but he will perform very well for a freshman. Martinez tormented some decent teams as a RS freshman and he didn't have the passing game down at that time.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Have you seen Dylan play? He’s a much better option than a running tight end. Dylan can make all the throws, HH can’t hardly make any throws.

Reactions: bigboxes

Raiola will start. He will also make mistakes. He's still going to better than HH even with his shoelaces tied together and his arms held behind his back with duct tape. HH will be a backup and he may not even be #2.

Reactions: jimmykrackedkorn
I understand what you’re saying. We can’t KNOW with absolute certainty that DR is going to be better, until we get to the games. I get it.

That said, most on here have the opinion that he will. They may present it as fact, but we can’t KNOW that until it happens.

I understand what you’re saying. We can’t KNOW with absolute certainty that DR is going to be better, until we get to the games. I get it.

That said, most on here have the opinion that he will. They may present it as fact, but we can’t KNOW that until it happens.
Dude is trying to win a hypothetical.

Also another point I will make to back my opinion, along with Purdy transferring, with regards to Raiola starting is that if Rhule didn't think Raiola was going to be ready day 1, he would have offered McCord.

Dude is trying to win a hypothetical.

Also another point I will make to back my opinion, along with Purdy transferring, with regards to Raiola starting is that if Rhule didn't think Raiola was going to be ready day 1, he would have offered McCord.
If Raiola isn’t the Day 1 Starter, that falls more on the Coaching Staff. The playbook doesn’t need to be like learning Greek.
I think, physically, he has the tools. It’s also a team sport. It ain’t tennis.
With the D we have and the early portion of the schedule should make it where there shouldn’t be a ton of pressure on him to win the games. Lord knows the offense didn’t win any last year. We won’t be in any shootouts early on.
I’m sure there will be a special emphasis by the Oline to protect nephew.
With Dante, Emmett, and the pieces we have at the WR/TE position, emphasis should also be on those positions to pick up their game and not make it where DR has to put everything on his shoulders.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT