ADVERTISEMENT

Miles

Not pleased with the effort tonight, but I'd rather be patient with Miles than let Eichorst make another hire for a revenue sport.

Similar to football, I am unconvinced that stronger recruiting will cover up the coaching deficiencies.

Reactions: Rmarciano
He made a damn good hire at Miami. Maybe basketball is his sport?
Yeah but until Miami started playing well this year some were saying that SE hired a has been that couldn't recruit anymore. Miles has won everywhere he has gone by year 5.

Similar to football, I am unconvinced that stronger recruiting will cover up the coaching deficiencies.
Better players make coaches look better. Our talent isn't where it needs to be yet for any coach to look good coaching it yet.

Yeah but until Miami started playing well this year some were saying that SE hired a has been that couldn't recruit anymore. Miles has won everywhere he has gone by year 5.
Those people are morons then considering Miami won the ACC and went to the Sweet 16 a few years ago. That's great for Miles but winning in the NAIA and MWC is a bit different than winning in the Big Ten. Do you anticipate we will be a team that dances next year?

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
My point is that somebody made a snide comment about being outcoached by Samford's coach. He is obviously well qualified to have his job. I dunno if we were out coached so much as outplayed. You can't shoot as poorly as we did and expect to win.

They played zone we played man. We drove into the zone and got called for charges. They pick and rolled in our man and got to the line. We didn't adapt which caused are bigs to have to go to the bench, but we made no change. That's being out coached.

I like Miles as a person & as the face of Husker basketball but last year and this year is inexcusable! He should be on the hot seat. We as fans have done our part, we sell out the arena and we have the best facilities! Being a nice guy is great but if you don't win....NEXT UP! Let's see how the rest of the year goes before calling for his job BUT he should know his seat is HOT!

Those people are morons then considering Miami won the ACC and went to the Sweet 16 a few years ago. That's great for Miles but winning in the NAIA and MWC is a bit different than winning in the Big Ten. Do you anticipate we will be a team that dances next year?
After the Miami game I would have said yes. Tonight no. We looked terrible. Its kind of what I guess I should expect from a team playing several freshmen that obviously aren't one and done lottery picks. We may look great next week if we could get hot. Losing Shields is going to hurt. We HAVE to find some guys that can come in and play right away.

I like Miles as a person & as the face of Husker basketball but last year and this year is inexcusable! He should be on the hot seat. We as fans have done our part, we sell out the arena and we have the best facilities! Being a nice guy is great but if you don't win....NEXT UP! Let's see how the rest of the year goes before calling for his job BUT he should know his seat is HOT!
It may take a miracle for this time to finish above .500 this year...may be the second year in a row under Mikes where we finish with a losing record. He won't get fired this year....but next year he needs to produce or things will get dicey for him IMO.

Reactions: BigRedPimp
It may take a miracle for this time to finish above .500 this year...may be the second year in a row under Mikes where we finish with a losing record. He won't get fired this year....but next year he needs to produce or things will get dicey for him IMO.
Ask Wisconsin what a difference two guys can make to a team. We really need to land at least two immediate contributers.

After the Miami game I would have said yes. Tonight no. We looked terrible. Its kind of what I guess I should expect from a team playing several freshmen that obviously aren't one and done lottery picks. We may look great next week if we could get hot. Losing Shields is going to hurt. We HAVE to find some guys that can come in and play right away.
I can save you the time...next year Gill will be a nice add for us. Not sure he will produce like Shiels but he will be solid. We will still have a below average big man. We will still have zero flow on offense. We will lose to Creighton and likely lose to a Samford type team. And, we will lucky to be on the NIT bubble. Call me Nostradamus but I just don't have much faith in Miles getting the job done at this point. We played very good ball one month under him during his 3 and a half years. The remainder of the time we have been a bad basketball team.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
Ask Wisconsin what a difference two guys can make to a team. We really need to land at least two immediate contributers.
Good luck with that. It's going to get tougher and tougher for Miles on the recruiting trail. He said so himself...we would have not landed Watson or Morrow if we didn't go dancing in year 2. Landing the Aggie transfer would be big. But, we're not in on anymore rope recruits and unlikely we hy the jackpot in the JUCO market.

Not interested in Eichorst making another hire. Larranaga has been OK at Miami. In four years he made the tournament one time. This year they have had a nice run but we won't know much until conference play. Plus, I think 60 something year old coaches who want to move across the country are becoming more and more scarce.

I can save you the time...next year Gill will be a nice add for us. Not sure he will produce like Shiels but he will be solid. We will still have a below average big man. We will still have zero flow on offense. We will lose to Creighton and likely lose to a Samford type team. And, we will lucky to be on the NIT bubble. Call me Nostradamus but I just don't have much faith in Miles getting the job done at this point. We played very good ball one month under him during his 3 and a half years. The remainder of the time we have been a bad basketball team.
The bottomline in basketball is talent. We didn't have any when he got the job. He's brought in some but not enough yet. White is an upgrade but the fact that he couldn't get on the floor for KU tells you where he's at. Shields is a solid player but wouldn't probably play alot for a top team. The rest of our guys wouldn't get on the floor for a top 10 team. Some of them have potential to be good players but they aren't there yet. I have more faith in Miles being able to get it done than anybody we've had at NU since Nee. So far it appears that he is upgrading recruiting anyway.

They had guys hitting threes that normally don't. Sh## happens and they have better talent than we gave them credit for.
So Samford,has better talent than we give them credit for and Padgett is in his 2nd year at Samford! Not good for Miles.

The bottomline in basketball is talent. We didn't have any when he got the job. He's brought in some but not enough yet. White is an upgrade but the fact that he couldn't get on the floor for KU tells you where he's at. Shields is a solid player but wouldn't probably play alot for a top team. The rest of our guys wouldn't get on the floor for a top 10 team. Some of them have potential to be good players but they aren't there yet. I have more faith in Miles being able to get it done than anybody we've had at NU since Nee. So far it appears that he is upgrading recruiting anyway.
Miles is upgrading talent...but you have to develop the talent and be able to get them to buy in. We didn't get out talented tonight, Miles got owned again.

Not interested in Eichorst making another hire. Larranaga has been OK at Miami. In four years he made the tournament one time. This year they have had a nice run but we won't know much until conference play. Plus, I think 60 something year old coaches who want to move across the country are becoming more and more scarce.
I can't argue with you here. What is More scary; Eichorst making another hire or having to wait for another x years for Miles and/or Eichorst to leave as we watch the same struggles for x years???

So Samford,has better talent than we give them credit for and Padgett is in his 2nd year at Samford! Not good for Miles.
And Samford had guys making 3s that normally don't. Padgett with his college and NBA resume obviously has a hook to recruit kids with. Their one freshmen looked awfully good. I don't think Samford is probably as good as they looked tonight and I don't think NU is as bad as it looked.

Miles is upgrading talent...but you have to develop the talent and be able to get them to buy in. We didn't get out talented tonight, Miles got owned again.
That one freshman of theirs looked awfully good. We had the talent to beat them but when you shoot it like we did you're screwed. We missed a bunch of free throws and open threes. The turnovers were a killer. Crappy outing. Hopefully it gets better.

And Samford had guys making 3s that normally don't. Padgett with his college and NBA resume obviously has a hook to recruit kids with. Their one freshmen looked awfully good. I don't think Samford is probably as good as they looked tonight and I don't think NU is as bad as it looked.
So what happens in conference play when opponents have guys hit shots that don't normally? We lose by 30? Miles can't afford to lose games like this as his margin for error is shrinking with fans and more importantly with recruits where we need difference makers.

So what happens in conference play when opponents have guys hit shots that don't normally? We lose by 30? Miles can't afford to lose games like this as his margin for error is shrinking with fans and more importantly with recruits where we need difference makers.
Then impatient people will get on message boards and call for his head on a platter which won't help recruiting either. Historically coaches have gotten 6-7 years here to try to get something done. Gnashing our teeth and having unrealistic expectations for the roster we have doesn't do any good. We should have beat Samford. IF we lose multiple games to teams we shouldn't in B1G play it won't be fun but he isn't going anywhere any time soon so we might as well root root root for the home team and hope for the best this year. Right now we're expected to finish in the bottom 3rd of the B1G so we SHOULD expect to lose a lot more games than we win in conference. Just the way it is this year.

Samford really didn't shoot it all that well. They made 8 threes and almost half came from a guy whose shooting over 40 percent. They didn't beat us at the three point line. To start the half we fell asleep and gave them many easy buckets. Mix in another TO prone Miles team and another Miles team that struggles to shoot the ball and you get losses like this.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
And we would be crazy at this point to even think about it. We have to let these freshmen mature into at least juniors.
Not saying you are wrong...but in today's day and age and Miles is clearly not immune to it....there is no guarantee all of the freshman will stick around. I would have to go back and watch some Colorado St tape but I'm not sure Miles knows how to use a guy like Morrow. He may be better off looking elsewhere.

Then impatient people will get on message boards and call for his head on a platter which won't help recruiting either. Historically coaches have gotten 6-7 years here to try to get something done. Gnashing our teeth and having unrealistic expectations for the roster we have doesn't do any good. We should have beat Samford. IF we lose multiple games to teams we shouldn't in B1G play it won't be fun but he isn't going anywhere any time soon so we might as well root root root for the home team and hope for the best this year. Right now we're expected to finish in the bottom 3rd of the B1G so we SHOULD expect to lose a lot more games than we win in conference. Just the way it is this year.
Are you using Collier, Sadler, etc as examples of what we should or shouldn't do?

7-5 thus far, 13-18, 19-13, 15-18, 12-18, 19-13, 15-18, 18-13

Not saying you are wrong...but in today's day and age and Miles is clearly not immune to it....there is no guarantee all of the freshman will stick around. I would have to go back and watch some Colorado St tape but I'm not sure Miles knows how to use a guy like Morrow. He may be better off looking elsewhere.
This is where I hope one of the assistants on staff would have some experience in how to use Morrow if Miles doesn't. If not, why recruit and bring a kid in like him if none of them know how to use him? A kid with that size and ability is better than a few minutes a game.

And we would be crazy at this point to even think about it. We have to let these freshmen mature into at least juniors.

I don't want Miles gone. I want him to be more imaginative on offense and more flexible on "D." Sometimes I can't tell if the opposing team is in man or zone because their D doesn't have to move. He also at times seems hell bent to play man and only man. Despite the focus on man I still see teams use ball movement to get open shots and 3s.

He made a damn good hire at Miami. Maybe basketball is his sport?

Eichorst had very little to do with hiring Larranaga. Larranaga was interviewed by the school president, Donna Shalala, before Eichorst was hired. Plus Larranaga was the one who contacted Miami and wanted the job, he wanted out of George Mason because their president was retiring and the AD wouldn't pay his assistants enough to keep them from leaving.

Regardless, a proven coach like Larranaga isn't moving to Lincoln, Nebraska to coach our pathetic program. I still think Dana Altman would have been the perfect fit, but that ship sailed a long time ago. If only we had hired Dana instead of Collier back in 2000.

We have to let these freshmen mature into at least juniors.
At least sophomores is where I stand, and you won't find a bigger fan on here of Miles, than me.

This is where I hope one of the assistants on staff would have some experience in how to use Morrow if Miles doesn't. If not, why recruit and bring a kid in like him if none of them know how to use him? A kid with that size and ability is better than a few minutes a game.
With Jacobson is what I keep hoping for. Watson, White, Shields, Morrow, Jacobson is a combination we haven't used. It'll beat us up having White defensively at the 2 but a little creativity could make the difference.

Sorry I'm chiming in late because I just saw CREED tonight (actually a good Rocky sequel...would recommend..anyway). I really want to like Miles, but he keeps giving me reasons not to. There's still a whole conference season to play, and the season is not over, the run two years ago started with a 1-5 conference record and then they went on that crazy run. But I also understand it's not two years ago right now. Miles and the team just beat Rhode Island, so it's post-confusing to me that we lost to Samford tonight. Really hope the team's (and Miles') psyche is all there. They gotta start bringing it every night- not just playing up to the better opponents and down to the lesser opponents. I want a reason to keep believing in this staff. I hope I get one. Long season to go. GBR.

amazing what six good weeks can do for you. without it, he'd be about done here after creighton and tonite.

Not sold on the Miles turnaround anymore. The talent level has gotten a little better and yeah, they're only freshmen, but you don't have to be an upperclassman to hustle! Got beaten by a better coached team that completely out worked and out hustled us on both ends of the floor. Benny shooting 3's out of the corner.....seriously that's your offense?

Samford really didn't shoot it all that well. They made 8 threes and almost half came from a guy whose shooting over 40 percent. They didn't beat us at the three point line. To start the half we fell asleep and gave them many easy buckets. Mix in another TO prone Miles team and another Miles team that struggles to shoot the ball and you get losses like this.
FWIW, I talked to a very knowledgeable basketball guy late last night that was at the game. His take was that yeah we shot it poorly and turned it over too much but the big take away for him was that Samford had a lot better talent than he expected. Our margin of error is too thin to play that poorly against anybody.

Reactions: newAD
FWIW, I talked to a very knowledgeable basketball guy late last night that was at the game. His take was that yeah we shot it poorly and turned it over too much but the big take away for him was that Samford had a lot better talent than he expected. Our margin of error is too thin to play that poorly against anybody.

I get what he is saying and I want Miles to succeed. Damn do we need that in our bb program. But darn it this just kind of makes it worse. How is it that in year four of the Miles era a dipshit place like Samford has better talent than we do?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT