ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford MBB gonna fired their coach...

That 13-38 MWC record the last three years might take him out of the running

Stanford held on to Haase one year too long. If they had pulled the plug last year, they could have grabbed Mark Madsen.

If Stanford wants to hire a Mountain West coach, I would think Miles would be about their 10th choice.

Reactions: V-Doub and BTF69
Apparently living in Oklahoma is so bad that Porter Moser is doing all he can to escape and will even take the DePaul job!

That "Coaching Changes" twitter account has started to report it, sort of.

Apparently living in Oklahoma is so bad that Porter Moser is doing all he can to escape and will even take the DePaul job!

That "Coaching Changes" twitter account has started to report it, sort of.
Sorry but there's no way any power conference coach takes the DePaul job. Demons will be lucky to pull someone from the Horizon League or Missouri Valley.

Sorry but there's no way any power conference coach takes the DePaul job. Demons will be lucky to pull someone from the Horizon League or Missouri Valley.
Seems odd to me but I guess Moser and his family just hate being in Oklahoma.

But that DePaul job SUUUUUUCKS. No fan support no alum support no NIL.

DePaul used to be a power basketball school. Ray Meyer had them playing in tournaments yearly decades ago. Once he left and his kid took over it’s never been the same. They’re so bad now you wonder how the Big East even keeps them. I wouldn’t be shocked if they were eventually asked to leave. There are college rec teams that could probably beat them.

DePaul used to be a power basketball school. Ray Meyer had them playing in tournaments yearly decades ago. Once he left and his kid took over it’s never been the same. They’re so bad now you wonder how the Big East even keeps them. I wouldn’t be shocked if they were eventually asked to leave. There are college rec teams that could probably beat them.
Have to believe the only reason DePaul remains in the Big East is what I would call the "Rutgers illusion." The Big East has managed to convince someone at Fox Sports that people in the Chicago TV market actually pay attention to DePaul basketball.

Ray and Joey both did well there. They WERE the team because they were on WGN all the time, they were basically the Notre Dame of CBB because they had their own station when no one else was on TV.

Plus, back then, local kids just played for their HS team and tended to stay local when they went to college.

Have to believe the only reason DePaul remains in the Big East is what I would call the "Rutgers illusion." The Big East has managed to convince someone at Fox Sports that people in the Chicago TV market actually pay attention to DePaul basketball.
When I grew up in Chicago, years ago, DePaul was a big deal. When I go back home now, they hardly even get mentioned during the news and they might get a little blurb in the papers.

They are long forgotten.

Seems odd to me but I guess Moser and his family just hate being in Oklahoma.

But that DePaul job SUUUUUUCKS. No fan support no alum support no NIL.
If it's all about getting out of Oklahoma, there are a ton of jobs that would be far better than DePaul. Even the Vanderbilt job would be a big upgrade over the DePaul graveyard. Get to live in Nashville, and Moser would be a hero if he even got Vanderbilt to lower-middle of the pack in the SEC.

If it's all about getting out of Oklahoma, there are a ton of jobs that would be far better than DePaul. Even the Vanderbilt job would be a big upgrade over the DePaul graveyard. Get to live in Nashville, and Moser would be a hero if he even got Vanderbilt to lower-middle of the pack in the SEC.
Yeah, I get it. Trust me, it makes no sense to me. It just seems to be the buzz right now.

If he leaves, watch Kevin Sampsons kid get the OU job.

Well they are a catholic university, which combining catholic schools for basketball was the purpose of the conferences restructuring.

Buttler isn’t catholic but has Christian roots, and views align with the catholic schools. UConn addition kind of altered everything a little, but Connecticut has a heavily catholic population. Plus UConn was an OG of the old Big East and was desperate to get back in to a major conference, and it’s already obviously paying off.

But 9 out of 11 are catholic schools so what the church wants, it gets and I can’t see dropping DePaul as even an option

I think Porter wants to get back to Chicago. He grew up in Naperville (bell tower named after his family) and as a result was fawned over locally when he got Loyola to make a run. Depaul gets him back "home" and he now has a name to start maybe keeping some of the local kids at home. He was starting to keep some locals before bolting to OU.

Georgetown is not much better. They are 2-18 in the league and they beat DePaul (0-20) twice by a whopping 4 points total.they are bad . But the college rec team comment is ridiculous.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Georgetown is not much better. They are 2-18 in the league and they beat DePaul (0-20) twice by a whopping 4 points total.they are bad . But the college rec team comment is ridiculous.
Georgetown is awful, but they shelled out the money to hire Ed Cooley, who should get the Hoyas back to being respectable. I think Cooley will regret leaving Providence, but he won't be a disaster at Georgetown the way Patrick Ewing was.

I just don't see DePaul attracting a current HC that anyone has actually heard of, Porter Moser included.

You need to decipher tongue an cheek. Yeah Georgetown sucks now but that’s a storied program . Ed Cooley will get them competitive again. I’m sure of that. They’ll be back.

I think Porter wants to get back to Chicago. He grew up in Naperville (bell tower named after his family) and as a result was fawned over locally when he got Loyola to make a run. Depaul gets him back "home" and he now has a name to start maybe keeping some of the local kids at home. He was starting to keep some locals before bolting to OU.
Family is loaded too.

i would like to see bob huggins take the depaul job, if he's over his drunk. he's the type of coach who could recruit chicago and quickly bring some semblance of respectability back to ray's program. meyer won 724 games at depaul and had them in the final four.

Reactions: huskerfan66
i would like to see bob huggins take the depaul job, if he's over his drunk. he's the type of coach who could recruit chicago and quickly bring some semblance of respectability back to ray's program. meyer won 724 games at depaul and had them in the final four.
Dang, interesting idea!

DePaul has to get it right this time. I am in a generation that remembers DePaul being successful and having a brand. They need to hire a coach with ties to Chicago, who can attract the NIL dollars and entice the local talent to remain in the city.
Moser fits most of that.

Kentucky has an asst coach with ties.

i look for bryce drew to get another crack at a high level job. he's 91-31 at grand canyon. don't believe he'll be coaching the catholics next year at least in arizona.

Moser fits most of that.

Kentucky has an asst coach with ties.
why any high-level coach would want the ou job is beyond me. red staters just don't care about anything beyond the gridiron. even when lonnie was bringing it, they didn't show affection.

Wes Miller to Ville has popped up...seems like that would be a let down hire for their fan base.

Reactions: AVeritas
If DePaul goes with a reclamation project, I think it will be Steve Wojciechowski - who wasn't terrible at Marquette and did a decent job of recruiting in that region. Wojo certainly would not be a big splash hire but I just don't think DePaul can attract one of those.

Also, the guys from the Coach K tree tend to get more than one shot at a head coaching gig.

If DePaul goes with a reclamation project, I think it will be Steve Wojciechowski - who wasn't terrible at Marquette and did a decent job of recruiting in that region. Wojo certainly would not be a big splash hire but I just don't think DePaul can attract one of those.

Also, the guys from the Coach K tree tend to get more than one shot at a head coaching gig.
He was a huge name when he was hired at MQ, also

Kind of a hoops version of Tom Herman

Would be a nice get for them. Somebody’s got to be able to tap into the talent in that city and their new arena is nice.

Reactions: huskerfan66
In all seriousness, I think Stanford is fooked in both Football and Basketball due to the onset of NIL and no-sit transfer rules.

Their Alums have some of the "deepest pockets" in the World, but their alums also don't care about paying student athletes. So while a lot of talented players are initially choosing Stanford out of high school for academic reasons, many of their star players are realizing they can transfer out and earn a lot more money before going pro.

While a Stanford degree is incredibly valuable, its almost cancelled out when you go earn a million bucks before you turn 23 and still earn a degree somewhere else.

Reactions: Dylman
My Michigan friend thinks Howard is staying around. Wild, because they are all kinds of garbage.

DePaul has to get it right this time. I am in a generation that remembers DePaul being successful and having a brand. They need to hire a coach with ties to Chicago, who can attract the NIL dollars and entice the local talent to remain in the city.
DePaul hasn't been the same since Mark Aguire graduated.

Reactions: king_kong_
porter was pretty much meh at the football school. not surprising here that he leaves for his home territory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT