ADVERTISEMENT

Miles

Shocked to see the same posters bitching up a storm in this thread. If you want to actually analyze the game, I think our very young team really struggled with the full court trap and zone defense. Haven't seen that much this year. Also, what were our realistic expectations this year?

Shocked to see the same posters bitching up a storm in this thread. If you want to actually analyze the game, I think our very young team really struggled with the full court trap and zone defense. Haven't seen that much this year. Also, what were our realistic expectations this year?
We have struggled with zone defense and the press every year under Miles. Experience has zero to do with it. We were an "experienced" team last year. Didn't end well.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Every basketball team is young. Dumb excuse. This is a B1G team and they have never handled the press.

You guys do realize who the coach is at Samford don't you? Hardly a chump. That said, when you start the game going 0 for 8 from the line and when Andrew White has a crappy night shooting the ball, you're in trouble. Once again the freshmen played like freshmen. Once again Benny and Tai were turnover machines. I don't know how you can bench them both and get enough minutes out of what's left at point. Samford won that gave with their defense and our crappy shooting. Miles can't make the shots for them. Terrible night from the floor.

It won't matter if we have 5 seniors starting. Until Miles can find an solid big man it will be no postseason for us under him. Whatever he's preaching this team isn't buying.
When you run a "motion" offense and never run the ball (at least a token look) through the middle... what exactly are you going to accomplish? We have seen it before. Clear out and let the main guy drive wildly.

History is not kind to basketball coaches that do not get a program turned around in five years. Maybe Miles will get it turned around next year, maybe not. Still, there is no way anyone can be happy right now with the effort after tonight.

Definitely unhappy about this loss and the season so far but I never had high expectations for this year. Our biggest problem is we can't recruit a big that can walk and chew gum at the same time. And Benny Parker gets way too many minutes.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I have no idea why I get upset. This is exactly what I expected this year. Carry on.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Definitely unhappy about this loss and the season so far but I never had high expectations for this year. Our biggest problem is we can't recruit a big that can walk and chew gum at the same time. And Benny Parker gets way too many minutes.
Agree

It won't matter if we have 5 seniors starting. Until Miles can find an solid big man it will be no postseason for us under him. Whatever he's preaching this team isn't buying.
No, tonight was about Tai and Benny turning the ball over and everybody but Shields not being able to throw it in the ocean. I don't think a big man would have mattered much tonight. When White can't hit his shots consistently we're screwed. Good heavens we started 0/8 from the line. Webster and Parker stunk it up tonight big time.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
I have no idea why I get upset. This is exactly what I expected this year. Carry on.

I didn't expect to get beat tonight..... and look like crap shooting the ball. As far as the season we are one of the bottom 4 teams and we are are predicted that way also.

You guys do realize who the coach is at Samford don't you? Hardly a chump. That said, when you start the game going 0 for 8 from the line and when Andrew White has a crappy night shooting the ball, you're in trouble. Once again the freshmen played like freshmen. Once again Benny and Tai were turnover machines. I don't know how you can bench them both and get enough minutes out of what's left at point. Samford won that gave with their defense and our crappy shooting. Miles can't make the shots for them. Terrible night from the floor.

Very true...I have heard many other coaches discuss how difficult it is to prepare for the Samford coach.

exactly. We've got to get more guard talent. Watson is going to be an upgrade I think but he can't play the whole game and that still leaves Tai or Benny in the game. I had hopes after watching them go toe to toe with Miami but man they have really hit a rough patch.

I didn't expect to get beat tonight..... and look like crap shooting the ball. As far as the season we are one of the bottom 4 teams and we are are predicted that way also.
Some nights the ball just won't go in. When we started 0/8 from the line I knew we were in trouble. That kind of thing is infectious no matter what the score is at the time.

I really hope Eichorst has some quality names on his "next to call" list that all AD's should keep current.

Some nights the ball just won't go in. When we started 0/8 from the line I knew we were in trouble. That kind of thing is infectious no matter what the score is at the time.
We have been a bad offensive team every year under Miles. Unfortunately for him...and the fans, the ball fails to go in the hoop quite a bit. Hero ball works sometimes...but won't get you many wins.

I really hope Eichorst has some quality names on his "next to call" list that all AD's should keep current.
AD's always have a list but we are not remotely close to that. SE knows what the deal is with Husker bball and he has realistic expectations for how long its going to take to build a program here. Miles would have been better off to have not gone on that run two years ago. Baby steps. This year's recruiting class was the start.

We need to give Miles the full 7 years of his contract. He inherited crap. That said... we should be seeing something better than this in year four. It does not look good. And at some point the recruiting will become impossible

You are helping make the case why NU needs to start considering a HC change. Padgett looked like he knew what his team could do well and where they could expose NU.

We have been a bad offensive team every year under Miles. Unfortunately for him...and the fans, the ball fails to go in the hoop quite a bit. Hero ball works sometimes...but won't get you many wins.
We've recruited much better offensive players than we've had for a while. That's obvious. We had a bad night. That was obvious. Webster and Parker are consistently inconsistent and turn the ball over way too much. You get one good game from them and then 3 bad ones. We have to have guards that can take care of the ball and consistently make shots.

We need to give Miles the full 7 years of his contract. He inherited crap. That said... we should be seeing something better than this in year four. It does not look good. And at some point the recruiting will become impossible

Exactly...with the sanctions and scholarship limits that were imposed he needs all 7 years.

We lost this game when Hammond and Jacobsen got their 3rd fouls. They abused our man D with pick and rolls, and got rewarded going to the line. They stayed in zone, and we could not shoot them out of it.

I wanted Miles to go to zone and protect the bigs and make them prove they could beat us from the outside.

Coaches failed to adjust to how the refs were calling the game, and Padgett took advantage of how the game was being called. And no I don't blame refs. Refs call games differently. You either adjust or lose.

AD's always have a list but we are not remotely close to that. SE knows what the deal is with Husker bball and he has realistic expectations for how long its going to take to build a program here. Miles would have been better off to have not gone on that run two years ago. Baby steps. This year's recruiting class was the start.
So shall we wait 7 years? 10 years? Recruiting is getting better but we see the same problems regardless of the Jimmy and Joes

I expect them to make free throws for starters.

We've recruited much better offensive players than we've had for a while. That's obvious. We had a bad night. That was obvious. Webster and Parker are consistently inconsistent and turn the ball over way too much. You get one good game from them and then 3 bad ones. We have to have guards that can take care of the ball and consistently make shots.
We have...not sure it's enough. Watson is the only young guy proven thus far he has an offensive game. Don't look now...but other Big Ten programs can recruit. Regardless, it's rinse and repeat as to what we struggle with under Miles no matter who is on the floor.

You are helping make the case why NU needs to start considering a HC change. Padgett looked like he knew what his team could do well and where they could expose NU.
My point is that somebody made a snide comment about being outcoached by Samford's coach. He is obviously well qualified to have his job. I dunno if we were out coached so much as outplayed. You can't shoot as poorly as we did and expect to win.

My point is that somebody made a snide comment about being outcoached by Samford's coach. He is obviously well qualified to have his job. I dunno if we were out coached so much as outplayed. You can't shoot as poorly as we did and expect to win.
Yes we got out coached. We gave up 43 points in the second half to freaking Samford.

Reactions: BigRedPimp
We have...not sure it's enough. Watson is the only young guy proven thus far he has an offensive game. Don't look now...but other Big Ten programs can recruit. Regardless, it's rinse and repeat as to what we struggle with under Miles no matter who is on the floor.
McVeigh and Jacobsen have shown flashes too. That's 3 freshmen that look like they could wind up being pretty good players. We need better players than Benny and Tai. Good kids but not consistently capable of playing at a high level. IF we can recruit 3 more guys this cycle with the upsides of the 3 freshmen playing now we'll be okay.

McVeigh and Jacobsen have shown flashes too. That's 3 freshmen that look like they could wind up being pretty good players. We need better players than Benny and Tai. Good kids but not consistently capable of playing at a high level. IF we can recruit 3 more guys this cycle with the upsides of the 3 freshmen playing now we'll be okay.
McVeigh is always going to struggle with white mans disease. He may be an okay role player when we need a shooter but his foot speed have to be some of the worst in college basketball. I think Jacobson may end up being solid...but, as I said...we aren't the only ones recruiting wel. Nor do I know if Miles can develop the youngsters.

We had a bad night. That was obvious. (insert most any current or former nu player)_________________ are consistently inconsistent and turn the ball over way too much. You get one good game from them and then 3 bad ones. We have to have guards that can take care of the ball and consistently make shots.
FIFY, the history of husker bb in a nutshell and presumably the near future.

McVeigh is always going to struggle with white mans disease. He may be an okay role player when we need a shooter but his foot speed have to be some of the worst in college basketball. I think Jacobson may end up being solid...but, as I said...we aren't the only ones recruiting wel. Nor do I know if Miles can develop the youngsters.
Its hard to say on where a 6-5 to 6-9 guys is going to wind up by the time they are done. They can change a bunch physically in a couple of years of college. We need better athletes at the 4 and 5 but we are probably going to have to develop bigs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT