ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NFL Draft

thall_

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 25, 2022
general spot for draft talk.

curious to know any hot takes someone might have.

my hot take is that Drake Maye will slip in the draft as well as bust in the NFL. don't have a reason other than intuition, i get a Zach Wilson air about his game. I also believe that in retrospect, people will laugh at how many teams passed on Rome Odunze, much like Justin Jefferson.

i could also see Jayden Daniels slipping like this mock draft is anticipating

my hot take is that Drake Maye will slip in the draft as well as bust in the NFL. don't have a reason other than intuition, i get a Zach Wilson air about his game. I also believe that in retrospect, people will laugh at how many teams passed on Rome Odunze, much like Justin Jefferson.
So, since you’re never wrong, why is this even open for discussion?

• Love
Reactions: HBK4life and V-Doub

William will go 1. That is obvious to everyone.
I believe Daniel will go 2nd. He’s a very nice prospect . After that, it gets interesting. If the Vikings can trade into the third spot, I believe they would take Maye. He has the best arm of the remaining prospects, and the size. He can make throws that others simply cannot. Maye will need polishing, but feels like a franchise quarterback. I think they like McCarthy a lot, but he is not very big, and has never had to put the offense on his back. When he does feel pressure, he doesn’t seem to know where to go with the ball. His athleticism and ability to extend plays is intriguing. I don’t think he can put zip on the ball like others in this draft.
After the first three are off the board, it’s a crapshoot

Reactions: saudi_aurora
William will go 1. That is obvious to everyone.
I believe Daniel will go 2nd. He’s a very nice prospect . After that, it gets interesting. If the Vikings can trade into the third spot, I believe they would take Maye. He has the best arm of the remaining prospects, and the size. He can make throws that others simply cannot. Maye will need polishing, but feels like a franchise quarterback. I think they like McCarthy a lot, but he is not very big, and has never had to put the offense on his back. When he does feel pressure, he doesn’t seem to know where to go with the ball. His athleticism and ability to extend plays is intriguing. I don’t think he can put zip on the ball like others in this draft.
After the first three are off the board, it’s a crapshoot
Maye reminds me of Herbert In the draft from the standpoint that both guys are highly talented and Maye could fall a few spots in the draft just like Justin Herbert did.

So, since you’re never wrong, why is this even open for discussion?
Because all of my low-iq fans, such as yourself, cling to my every word and I was feeling generous by giving you many.

J.J. @ # 3 is a great big yikes.
The tremendous uptick in excitement towards him is confusing to me on one hand, but understandable on the other.

If you consider that the most important drive of football is the last one in championship environments, JJ put impressive tape out there.

What separates Mahomes from the rest of the QBs in the NFL is he is absolutely elite in the final drives. It's why other elite QBs can't get past him.

Every team wants to strike gold on the next Mahomes, I'm just not sure JJ has had to play in an environment where his offensive line didn't totally dominate the opposing defense.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
Maye reminds me of Herbert In the draft from the standpoint that both guys are highly talented and Maye could fall a few spots in the draft just like Justin Herbert did.
That could very well be correct. My pre-draft assessment on Herbert ended up being pretty off, so I plead ignorance on what makes a college QB translate to NFL.

Hope the Chiefs get Odunze

Reactions: InMotion

I once made the exact Drake Maye to Zach Wilson comparison to a friend… do I know you?? Haha. That said, I was high on Wilson coming out of college and didn’t see anticipate him struggling as a pro.

I’m not high on McCarthy and don’t understand why he’s shot up in draft projections. He’s a winner, but I always got the feeling it was the elite offense around him doing the heavy lifting. I guess he was impressive at Pro Day and eventually settled in at the combine.

Hot take: Bo Nix will have the best career out of all QBs in the draft, even if he’s not the most talented on paper and even if he doesn’t start as a rookie. I think he will end up as a late first round pick and end up in a better overall situation than Williams/Maye/Daniels/McCarthy.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I once made the exact Drake Maye to Zach Wilson comparison to a friend… do I know you?? Haha. That said, I was high on Wilson coming out of college and didn’t see anticipate him struggling as a pro.

I’m not high on McCarthy and don’t understand why he’s shot up in draft projections. He’s a winner, but I always got the feeling it was the elite offense around him doing the heavy lifting. I guess he was impressive at Pro Day and eventually settled in at the combine.

Hot take: Bo Nix will have the best career out of all QBs in the draft, even if he’s not the most talented on paper and even if he doesn’t start as a rookie. I think he will end up as a late first round pick and end up in a better overall situation than Williams/Maye/Daniels/McCarthy.
I like that take on Nix.

I could envision a future where we're looking back and saying "well he crushed it in college, who can be surprised?"

Be interesting to see him land in Denver.

Reactions: HuskAir
Caleb Williams has a strong chance of being a bust. Not that hot of a take.
It seems he has a lot of self inflicted wounds. Makes you wonder how he’ll adapt

1) Has indicated, he doesn’t want to be on the team who can take him number one overall

2) Thinks he is owed equity in the team that drafts him

3) Doesn’t want to play for that scrubby rookie money

4) Likes to cross dress. This would be fairly normal in San Francisco, but not Chicago.

5) Sobs uncontrollably in his mamas arms on national TV over a meaningless game

6) Hangs onto the ball too long. He won’t have three seconds to get rid of it in the pros. He will make some spectacular plays and he’s gonna get blown up a lot too if he doesn’t fix this.

I saw people on twitter comparing JJ McCarthy's pro day to Zach Wilson. I fear the Giants are going to pass on a top WR to draft him if he is there. Then I will have to watch that WR tear up the NFL while watching JJ struggle. Especially behind a Giants Oline that is always one of the worst in the NFL.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
The tremendous uptick in excitement towards him is confusing to me on one hand, but understandable on the other.

If you consider that the most important drive of football is the last one in championship environments, JJ put impressive tape out there.

What separates Mahomes from the rest of the QBs in the NFL is he is absolutely elite in the final drives. It's why other elite QBs can't get past him.

Every team wants to strike gold on the next Mahomes, I'm just not sure JJ has had to play in an environment where his offensive line didn't totally dominate the opposing defense.

He led CFB in compl % his senior year so he can toss it...but I would (if I were a team consodering drafting him) go back and watch every throw. How long of a pass was it, anyone in his kitchen when he released it, was Michigan comfortably ahead? I was very high on him prior to the CFP amd posted it on this board but after the playoffs I cooled...looked like Hargod kept him in handcuffs to me. Made me wonder why.

I think the Viking see JJ as the safer of the potentially available qb's. Which for me is only because he was placed in a situation where he had less chances to put bad plays on tape.

I think the Viking see JJ as the safer of the potentially available qb's. Which for me is only because he was placed in a situation where he had less chances to put bad plays on tape.
I hate that. I want the guy with big play ability and the best upside. Where does the safe bet get you? Nowhere.

Reactions: kakdawg
J.J. @ # 3 is a great big yikes.
It would be a colossally stupid move to take him where they’re sitting now let alone giving up capital to move up to 3. It’s exactly what I expect from their clown GM. IF they pass on him where they’re at there’s a chance he’ll fall to the 2nd round.

It seems he has a lot of self inflicted wounds. Makes you wonder how he’ll adapt

1) Has indicated, he doesn’t want to be on the team who can take him number one overall

4) Likes to cross dress. This would be fairly normal in San Francisco, but not Chicago.

6) Hangs onto the ball too long. He won’t have three seconds to get rid of it in the pros. He will make some spectacular plays and he’s gonna get blown up a lot too if he doesn’t fix this.
allow me to respond, if you will

1) this never came from Williams himself. he's already spending time in Chicago and endearing himself to the city

2) this also didn't come from Williams.

3) continuation of 2? first I'm hearing this, doubt it's coming from Williams

4) he was wearing football cleats with that dress!

5) this is a non-issue, nobody has any clue what was going on in his family that week

6) a fair point

to go point by point:

1) has he? i've seen this talking point floated but never seen him actually say it. if anything, he's said the opposite

2) i don't believe thats a demand, i think its something his camp mentioned to agents a year ago more as a pipe dream and a philosophy that players should have equity. i don't necessarily agree

3) i hadn't heard that. i'm sure he wouldn't want to make less than he did at USC, but a rookie contract would be substantially more

4) i won't pretend to understand fashion. i imagine he was paid by Jil Sander to wear that for a GQ spread

5) game wasn't meaningless, it effectively eliminated them from the Pac 12 Championship. Dude carried teams on his back for 3+ years and ended up not having a single championship to show for it. hard to fault a guy for being emotionally invested in winning. in fact, its pretty weird as most of this forum had no problem with Mahomes crying

6) this is the part i'm most interested to see unfold in pros. for the sake of exciting football, i hope his game does translate. you could very well be correct that it won't work

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
to go point by point:

1) has he? i've seen this talking point floated but never seen him actually say it. if anything, he's said the opposite

2) i don't believe thats a demand, i think its something his camp mentioned to agents a year ago more as a pipe dream and a philosophy that players should have equity. i don't necessarily agree

3) i hadn't heard that. i'm sure he wouldn't want to make less than he did at USC, but a rookie contract would be substantially more

4) i won't pretend to understand fashion. i imagine he was paid by Jil Sander to wear that for a GQ spread

5) game wasn't meaningless, it effectively eliminated them from the Pac 12 Championship. Dude carried teams on his back for 3+ years and ended up not having a single championship to show for it. hard to fault a guy for being emotionally invested in winning. in fact, its pretty weird as most of this forum had no problem with Mahomes crying

6) this is the part i'm most interested to see unfold in pros. for the sake of exciting football, i hope his game does translate. you could very well be correct that it won't work
images

That is who I wanted when we got Thompsen. We may have never had a shot who knows but he would have been really good here.

I think he will be decent in the NFL. May is a lot better than Wilson. Wilson has bust written all over him from the get-go. Williams has the talent with a bunch of talent around him. Does he have the head and can he make players better in the NFL. Those 2 things concern me.

Michigan kid I would draft later than most of the other guys discussed.

I think Daniels is a lot like Watson. Better head probably a little less talent.

Did he actually complain about rookie money? Isn't that all slotted based on the pick #?
He’s already fairly rich by most metrics. If I’m him, I put the blinders on and focus on winning. Then you get to have the private jet and all the goodies that come with being a winner.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Read Caleb made a cool 10mil in college. Wow.
and zero off-field issues, still appears to care a lot about team success

this is another great measuring stick for NFL teams, in my opinion

kid seems rather mature in addition to massively talented

Commies are the source of all the nebulous Williams stuff

They planted it all in hopes it would spook the Bears off him and the native son could return to the DMV

Didn’t work
yes and this JJ propaganda feels like a push to get someone to offer a kings ransom for the #2 overall

I think Nix and Payton could potentially be a good marriage in Denver....ideally they could trade bac 7-10 spots, pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and take Nix a little farther down in the 1st....but I suppose if you feel confident that he's your guy, that's a risk you probably don't want to take

I've never seen it

not saying it didn't happen, but curious if anyone has a quote from him
It wasn’t actually him. It was agent dad Carl Williams who has questioned the rookie pay scale and having equity in the team. He’s not doing the kid any favors perception wise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT