ADVERTISEMENT

Riley says Gerry & Joseph ineligible for bowl game

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mean, did you see him in the Iowa game? What kind of idiot runs into the kicker on a chip-shot? We were still in the game at that point. That killed it for us. His roommate also blessed us with some absolutely soul-stealing false start penalties on third down. Wonder who they know in Vegas.

I mean, did you see him in the Iowa game? What kind of idiot runs into the kicker on a chip-shot? We were still in the game at that point. That killed it for us. His roommate also blessed us with some absolutely soul-stealing false start penalties on third down. Wonder who they know in Vegas.
What kind of idiot runs into the kicker on a chip shot? A dipsh*t that cannot pass average college classes.

I would be surprised if he didnt run under a 4.5. Gonna help his stock. Dont know when he will go however, you just never know. Which is why you get your degree.

No one is making an excuse for him? The dude didn't like these coaches and wants out. Better to get that out of the locker room. At the end of the day your only responsibility is to yourself and your family. When he gets drafted and sign a 7 figure contract you think he'll be worried about this exhibition game?

Not even sure where to start on all of your speculation. How do you know he doesn't like these coaches? How do you know he wants out? Sorry, but all of us answer to more than ourselves and our families, that is rediculous. What in the world makes you think he will get a 7 figure contract? Where was he in the all big 10 team? This is all that is wrong with humanity and the self satisfying mindset.

What is all this garbage about being an exhibition game? It is a bowl game, a reward for the season, an opportunity to compete against others. I don't care if it is bowling or tittly winks, you give it your best effort.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart
He didn't fail the classes in just the last few weeks, so if the Huskers would have accomplished more than a exhibition game, he would have been out as well. I'm sure Iowa abusing him like a little girl didn't improve his intellect much, but his impressive classroom performance was a season long effort.
This is a great point. Even when Nebraska was 8-0 and rated in the top 10, he had cashed in on school. Imagine if Nebraska was in the playoff and he became ineligible. Would some of you still say it's ok to get his?

I am basing it on his production compared to the other "top" safeties listed on every "draft site" along with comparisons in size and what I have seen with my own two eyes. A "draft site" is basically a guy not much different than yourself compiling a list of players for web clicks.

Heard these same arguments last year that Vincent Valentine was not going to be drafted, the "draft sites" didn't have him high, he was lazy, all sorts of BS. What did we see on the field? A 6'4" 330 pound man that simply did not budge at all when it came to the run game. Nobody moved our defensive line in short yardage last season. It was one of the best short-yardage run defenses I have seen at NU, yet people let their contempt for VV cloud their judgment.

For what it's worth, the only site I know for sure that watches the film has Gerry rated in their top 5 of ALL safeties including 3 underclassmen.
I am more confused; what you say you saw about VV was the general feeling here and represented what was his best chance to make a team - the very characteristics he could could contribute to the right team. The other player had a lot of support; and general confidence of consistently positive posters.
Some frustration that VV didn't stay here; helping out while improving his chances. ... Its good you want to protect NG; but many other opinions are valid. There is a lot of life experience on this board.

Not even sure where to start on all of your speculation. How do you know he doesn't like these coaches? How do you know he wants out? Sorry, but all of us answer to more than ourselves and our families, that is rediculous. What in the world makes you think he will get a 7 figure contract? Where was he in the all big 10 team? This is all that is wrong with humanity and the self satisfying mindset.

What is all this garbage about being an exhibition game? It is a bowl game, a reward for the season, an opportunity to compete against others. I don't care if it is bowling or tittly winks, you give it your best effort.
I am enjoying your posts.

This is a great point. Even when Nebraska was 8-0 and rated in the top 10, he had cashed in on school. Imagine if Nebraska was in the playoff and he became ineligible. Would some of you still say it's ok to get his?
With the support systems; its well proven you can party and still graduate. Others have shared your opinion; a strong part of an Iowa and historically N, has been an advantage of character and playing for your team. The stats are in the thread on the financial pitfalls of not getting a degree; of where the ones that make it, end up basically broke so many years out if not prudent
( 79% ). Funny, similar to lottery winners, in a way. Whether , for more skirt ; or other dumb stuff. With maturity, many will be back to earn the degree
( those hours look a lot more precious then ). Bottom line, is many of us are shaking our heads, doesn't mean we don't care - if it was one of my sons,
I would feel the same.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
It shows his character. He'd been mailing it in for quite some time. Finally bought in and had a good year. I suspect he'll be one of those players who plays for their contract year, but is otherwise a bust. Lazy.
So - for the folks who think players should be paid to play college ball - would Gerry get to keep his money? IMO, he should be charged for the classes. He took up space that someone who really wanted an education could have used.

Agree with the fan overrating their own guys, but in this case I do believe you are quite wrong. It seems to me a lot of people are basing where Gerry will get drafted based on their contempt for him. No matter how much you hate him, he's still the biggest athletic safety available. He has also backed the measurables up with lots of production for the past 4 years.

Your talk about the NFL not tolerating fools is comical. They tolerate quite a bit. Just go down the rosters for the past few years in Cincinatti and Dallas. The NFL is suddenly the great league full of angels and upstanding citizens? Come on, man.

The NFL suffers LOTS of fools. Like I said in my previous post, they have to have major league athletic ability. The NFL will know all about Gerry and the character/locker room issues he has had since day one. Most NFL teams will not draft a guy who will have "a shot" at making a roster in the fall if they have character concerns. If a kid is dynamic in some way, only a few teams will take him off the board. They say some teams would not have drafted Gregory even though he showed flashes of great pass rush ability in college. At this point, those teams are right.

Gerry can now focus on getting healthy and getting ready for the combine. He is a fast kid. He didn't really play fast at NU, but I could see him getting coached up to run a great time and moving up draft boards in the spring.

benning had some pretty interesting stuff to say this morning on the situation and what fed into it.

I agree with the embarrassing part but not as certain on his draft position.

I am not so sure Gerry is a lock either. He's gone So now I can write about him. There is something off kilter with the kid. Often times he seems to be a second or two late in pass coverage. He dropped at least 2-3 passes thrown right at him this season. He got juked out of his shoes by shifty runners in the open field. How many time did we see him miss and then slap his hands in disgust. I think it is between his ears. Remember how excited Bo was to play him at linebacker his freshman year and it didn't work out at all. He was always out of position. I don't see him playing long in the NFL

benning had some pretty interesting stuff to say this morning on the situation and what fed into it.

Not sure if this what cubsker meant but:

Staff tried to help Gerry, but in the end let him fail or succeed on his own. Gerry is popular with teammates but when NFL teams ask around, he won't get any ringing endorsements from defensive staff.

Damon didn't seem too thrilled with Gerry, but not sure about the "what fed into it", I didn't catch that.

So let's get this straight...
A pot smoker who is incredibly talented but lacks perspective and responsibility??? No way!!!!

Getting suspended because of grades isn't a big deal in the NFL.

Getting suspended because of marijuana is.

Riley just potentially saved Gerry millions of dollars if he gets his act straight. Doubt that happens which is very sad.

There should be a new term to describe this type of situation.

"Academically ineligible" is too vague. He failed to muster a couple of Ds.

"Academically irresponsible" is closer. He basically quit school months ago.

:Academically fraudulent" -- that's it. A player who intentionally fails his classes while simultaneously posing as a team captain all the while knowing that his misconduct would result in his dismissal from team activities at the most important point in the season.

So let's get this straight...
A pot smoker who is incredibly talented but lacks perspective and responsibility??? No way!!!!

Getting suspended because of grades isn't a big deal in the NFL.

Getting suspended because of marijuana is.

Riley just potentially saved Gerry millions of dollars if he gets his act straight. Doubt that happens which is very sad.

Riley to the rescue!

I have a hunch that somebody's parents want to kick his ass.
prob not from what benning said. said he gets it from his mom who has a pretty laid back attitude about everything. damon said nate is the kind of guy who always needs a mentor. said he was very smart, other kids flock to him, but just not mature enough when it comes to decision making. said at times it carried over to the field. said there was always a disconnect btwn nate and the coaches, specifically banker and stewart. said because nate was very football savvy, he could be pretty blunt when he didnt feel the coaching he was receiving as it related to the scheme was good enough. said nate has been pretty miserable the last couple months or so and the academics were prob some kind of a final way to say his piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT