ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl game roster rule idea

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
The bowl games are money-making ventures and if you invite a team that then loses the majority of its prior starting roster is it fair to the bowl game? Why not require schools to commit to a roster within one week of the final game of the regular season, and then if a team can't commit to at least 90% of their final game roster, the bowls aren't obligated to select that team under any circumstances (conference ties, division champion, etc). That would certainly put a lot of pressure on schools/coaches to have that conversation early (are you staying here or leaving) and potentially giving late starts if needed to backups.

if bowl games want to make money and get teams matched up for good games I’d like to see the following considered

1 transfer portal is open after last regular season game for the team, for 6 days, after that the transfer portal is closed until after the bowl games.
2 once bowl games are announced any player who declares or opts out must repay their full scholarship and all benefits that school has provided to that point.
3 all transfer portal players will be required to stay and be a walk on at their current school or go to the new school for the immediate next semester.
4 any school that goes beyond the rules and regulations for contacting transfer portal players will lose 3 scholarships for each year the player contacted attends their school. So if three players are illegally contacted the team would lose 9 schollys if those 3 end up at the school.
5 any coaches are officials for the school or anyone connected in any legal capacity of the school that is shown to have made illegal contacts, one year show cause to be connected to the school or any school(college) job for each contact made.

Choices have consequences and they should be made well the first time. Then if a second choice is needed, it needs to be made as smart as possible and understand that it needs to be done the right way, above board.

Reactions: scarletred
This sounds like an Iowa fan topic.

Bowl games are done. Next year 12 teams make the playoffs in 3-4 years 16 teams will make it.

Reactions: Huskers123456
just go to 16 teams already.
try some mediocre bowls ahead of next season based on prior record or just based on hype

just go to 16 teams already.
try some mediocre bowls ahead of next season based on prior record or just based on hype
It is just a matter of time!

4 teams in a quadrant it will fit to neatly on a sheet. The ratings will be amazing the gambling will be unreal.

• Sad
you can't postpone the portal window because kids need to be enrolled in school in January.

Bowl games will not be done as long as the money can be raised to hold them, and teams agree to play in them.
I guess I should have said "done", they will always be around for loser teams but they are now the NIT

The bowl games are money-making ventures and if you invite a team that then loses the majority of its prior starting roster is it fair to the bowl game? Why not require schools to commit to a roster within one week of the final game of the regular season, and then if a team can't commit to at least 90% of their final game roster, the bowls aren't obligated to select that team under any circumstances (conference ties, division champion, etc). That would certainly put a lot of pressure on schools/coaches to have that conversation early (are you staying here or leaving) and potentially giving late starts if needed to backups.
One way to fix the "player opting out bowl games" problem is to stipulate a requirement and/or a bonus in the NIL contracts. Money talks.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Maybe what they should do is just have a plus one game at the end of the season for all teams interested. The only ones not involved would be the teams in the playoffs. It might work like this:

You have 12 teams in the playoffs (for the life of me I don't understand why if you're going to do 12, why not 16 with every team needing to win 4 games to win the NC, but that's another discussion). You play the bunny bracket on home fields, then the final 8 (7 games) are played in the Rose, Fiesta, Cotton, Orange, Sugar, Peach, and Holiday bowls (we can still call them bowl games).

Then, every other team can play a plus one game on a home field (you can't play at home 2 years in a row). The schools (like everything else now) would be free agents to find a good game to play and could play the games the week between Christmas and New Years. For example, this season, Nebraska could arrange to play someone like Clemson, Tennessee, or even an old regional rivalry like Kansas or Kansas State. Rather than nonsense bowls in stadiums 30% full, you would have sold out stadiums for home games that the players and fans would love. You could also opt out if you have a roster who doesn't want to play or maybe you're having a coaching change.

In games like this, it wouldn't matter whether players opted out. You could craft a game against an opponent where both teams have a similar opt out profile, making it a futures game.

But no more having 2 teams go to Mobile or Boise for a bowl game that nobody really wants to be at. No more obvious mismatches like the FSU/Georgia game. Totally developmental, looking forward to next season. I think many older players who don't get to play in bowls or have to play in nonsense bowls would embrace this and the ones who don't, so be it, but I can guarantee that a game on December 28 in Lincoln or Clemson SC would be a sellout, regardless of the weather.

A 9-3 team in no way deserves a chance to win a NC in any playoff system 12is to many 8 is perfect IMO.
That's only if anyone anymore gives a shit whether winning the NC and deserving to win the NC is even the point. EVERYTHING is about money now. Winning championships are just an abstract, part of the money making show, and like the NCAA basketball tournament, they will expand the 12 team playoff at some point to 16, 24, whatever if the money's there.

• Sad
Sure, but that doesn't matter...all that matters is if you will watch the games. I know I will!
what’s the point of having 16 teams when having CCG yet too..

and in some cases both teams would be the playoffs anyway, the CCG winner would they get seeded higher or not?

and in some cases both teams would be the playoffs anyway, the CCG winner would they get seeded higher or not?
Relate this to American Legion area final tournament game(s). Teams know they are going to a State tournament site based on being the champion or the runner-up. Both teams know they’re going to state, those do not always end up being great title games because of the fag both teams know they are still going forward in the playoffs

It is just a matter of time!

4 teams in a quadrant it will fit to neatly on a sheet. The ratings will be amazing the gambling will be unreal.
Disagree on the 16 teams. Top 3-4 vs bottom 3-4 will be bad matchups.

With 12 teams those first week play-in games will be great matchups and then the winners of those will be sharper for their next game vs the top group.

Bowl games will not be done as long as the money can be raised to hold them, and teams agree to play in them.
ESPN and Fox will decide if and when the bowl games will be done. Hell, the Cotton Bowl will be played on Dec 14 next year if ESPN wants it to be.

With 12 teams those first week play-in games will be great matchups and then the winners of those will be sharper for their next game vs the top group.
Get out of here with your common sense and logic. There's money to be made!

No seriously, I think the next step is seeing teams that are actually in the 12 team playoffs have tons of portal kids opt out. It's already happening to a lesser degree with these top four teams. If a star player tweaks a knee or rolls an ankle in the first round game and isn't 100%, some will sit out the next game or just declare for the draft altogether. Unless something gets fixed with the portal, the expanded playoffs will become a joke. Some players are still going to want to "get mine" and screw dear old State U (although it won't be worded that why in their tweet).

If USC had gone undefeated and made the playoffs, I would bet that Caleb Williams still would have declared for the draft and sat out.

Oh I don't know. Good point!

My guess, then only thing I can think of really, is another game on TV and a "trophy" for the team that wins the conference but that is about it. When they go to 16 maybe they will get rid of those games?

Of course they will be bad match ups. But there will be an upset here and there and those will be magical. Just like March Madness.

The reason Trev went to D1 with UNO is because if UNO gets to the dance, that is a bigger deal than their lame FB team winning a conference championship and if UNO BB pulled off an upset over a 2 or 3 seed. It would be the biggest story ever for that school.

Get out of here with your common sense and logic. There's money to be made!

No seriously, I think the next step is seeing teams that are actually in the 12 team playoffs have tons of portal kids opt out. It's already happening to a lesser degree with these top four teams. If a star player tweaks a knee or rolls an ankle in the first round game and isn't 100%, some will sit out the next game or just declare for the draft altogether. Unless something gets fixed with the portal, the expanded playoffs will become a joke. Some players are still going to want to "get mine" and screw dear old State U (although it won't be worded that why in their tweet).

If USC had gone undefeated and made the playoffs, I would bet that Caleb Williams still would have declared for the draft and sat out.
Williams likely would have unless there was a way to spin him staying in spite of the potential injury, he was a team first guy and money could be made off of him staying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT