• Jonathon Batzke, P (transfer portal)

Wyoming

• Keelan Cox, EDGE (transfer portal)
  • Kolbey Taylor, CB (transfer portal)
  • DQ James, RB (transfer portal)
  • Brady Hultman, LB (transfer portal)
  • Chase Locke, WR (transfer portal)

Last edited:
College football as we know it is dead. It's unfortunate, but true. It's now two semipro conferences and their playoff system. The G5 leftovers will essentially become division 2. Most if not all elite G5 players will be poached or opt out of their bowls and the P5 teams not in the playoffs will find it difficult to generate enthusiasm for a conciliatory bowl game. The result will be the bowl games will be disbanded or moved away from the playoff game time slots. Either way, the bowl games will be dead or a massive afterthought.

College football as we know it is dead. It's unfortunate, but true. It's now two semipro conferences and their playoff system. The G5 leftovers will essentially become division 2. Most if not all elite G5 players will be poached or opt out of their bowls and the P5 teams not in the playoffs will find it difficult to generate enthusiasm for a conciliatory bowl game. The result will be the bowl games will be disbanded or moved away from the playoff game time slots. Either way, the bowl games will be dead or a massive afterthought.
It's the uncertainty that's so frustrating.

It's time for the Big Ten and SEC presidents to figure out an end game, or at least one that can survive for a generation, maybe two.

Where are we headed? It seems nobody really knows.

Yes, they most certainly did​

Barstool Sports Arizona Bowl | Toledo vs. Wyoming​

Toledo

• Jaret Frantz, WR (transfer portal)
  • Vinny Sciury, iOL (transfer portal)
  • Dequan Finn, QB (transfer portal)
  • Micah Kelly, RB (transfer portal)
  • Jonathon Batzke, P (transfer portal)

Wyoming

• Keelan Cox, EDGE (transfer portal)
  • Kolbey Taylor, CB (transfer portal)
  • DQ James, RB (transfer portal)
  • Brady Hultman, LB (transfer portal)
  • Chase Locke, WR (transfer portal)

excuuuuuuuuse me. missed it. local sports guys sometimes not very helpful.

excuuuuuuuuse me. missed it. local sports guys sometimes not very helpful.
we just have to approach bowl games now with a different mindset. It’s entertainment that truth be told never really mattered much previous to the portal either.

IF I were an NFL GM I would tell prospects that I view opting out as a character deficiency. Don’t quit on your teammates.

If the flacks for Bowl X can raise the money and get two teams willing to eat the unsold tickets they are allotted, that bowl would be played. Cities like the extra foot traffic. Sports channels need content.

Reactions: saluno22
we just have to approach bowl games now with a different mindset. It’s entertainment that truth be told never really mattered much previous to the portal either.

IF I were an NFL GM I would tell prospects that I view opting out as a character deficiency. Don’t quit on your teammates.
Nate Gerry was a trendsetter in this regard.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
look at the stands for decades. as long as advertisers keep sponsoring we will have this entertainment. gotta find a little juice to keep these things interesting

look at the stands for decades. as long as advertisers keep sponsoring we will have this entertainment. gotta find a little juice to keep these things interesting
I agree. If the money and interest is there for bowl games, they will continue. Playoffs, NIL, and the transfer portal are going to be difficult to contend with for interest. I can't imagine Capital One was too pleased with the Orange Bowl yesterday. I can see a scenario where bowls are relegated to lesser channels and times (like the CW yesterday) for small markets while the big bowls are dissolved or incorporated into the playoffs.

Reactions: huntered

They did and should matter just as much as any other game during the season. College football was always about the game, tradition and school pride. Even when teams played for titles, the underlying reason why we cared was the same reason why nebraska cared about beating OU. Bragging rights, school and state pride. Those can still exist if we get back to it. But now it’s just money, playoffs and using it as a nfl G league. Bottom line….The only reason bowl games don’t matter any more is because people have forgotten about what made college football great.

Kirby Smart:

“I know things are changing, and some things are going to change next year. You know what, there’s going to still be bowl games outside of those. People have gotta decide what they want and what they want to get out of it. Because it’s really unfortunate for those kids on that sideline that had to play in that game that didn’t have their full arsenal. And it affected the game, 100 percent.”

Reactions: Mack In Motion
Even if you make create bowl games or division/conference championships for non-playoff teams, you're still battling opt outs due to NIL/transfer portal. I'm not sure how you get past that. Money for players changes everything.

I still dont understand why a game against a similar-level, (usually) good opponent at the end of the year is “meaningless” but a week 11 game between two teams eliminated from consideration isnt. Can someone explain that one to me? How do football players and football fans call them meaningless? Why?

Reactions: dinglefritz
We have heard ideas about revenue sharing for the last few years, how about starting with the bowl games? If the bowls share profits with the players and maybe kick in extra to the winners, it could change some minds and put some peer pressure on elite players not to quit on their team.

Hahaha. Tell that to the team who has been eliminated by week 11. There will be some “opt outs”.
Maybe I’m wrong?
Conference title games are also going the way of the dodo.
I agree. Just drop the conf title games. Did we need to see Iowa play Michigan? Do we need a potential rematch of Michigan and Ohio St the next week if we eliminate divisions?

Reactions: The Usual
I still dont understand why a game against a similar-level, (usually) good opponent at the end of the year is “meaningless” but a week 11 game between two teams eliminated from consideration isnt. Can someone explain that one to me? How do football players and football fans call them meaningless? Why?
I don’t think fans think they are meaningless. Players do unfortunately…. Some don’t want to risk their health ($$$) for a whale trophy.

Reactions: The Usual
They did and should matter just as much as any other game during the season. College football was always about the game, tradition and school pride. Even when teams played for titles, the underlying reason why we cared was the same reason why nebraska cared about beating OU. Bragging rights, school and state pride. Those can still exist if we get back to it. But now it’s just money, playoffs and using it as a nfl G league. Bottom line….The only reason bowl games don’t matter any more is because people have forgotten about what made college football great.
I think it has more to do with today’s entitled youth than anything else. In FSU’s case I think it’s pretty clear that there’s a culture problem. Does anybody believe Tom’s stars would have deserted him like that?

Matt Rhule pockets 150k for just making a bowl regardless of how shitty that bowl is but the players should play for free and risk injury for love of the game and school pride

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
You’d be the first pussy to quit first sign of stiff competition…
Like how Trev Alberts quit and refused to play for the Colts despite being cleared by doctors to play … note he didn’t quit until after collecting his huge signing bonus

On that note - Trev got a huge bonus for fielding the worst combined men’s BB and football teams in all of power 5

But yeah the players shouldn’t get anything

Alberts's situation drew a spark of anger out of Indianapolis's
usually upbeat quarterback. "You get tired of looking at the
same guys on the sidelines collecting paychecks," Harbaugh said.
"At some point we've got to find the guys who want to play.
Those are the guys who are going to be there on Sunday."

• Haha
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
Like how Trev Alberts quit and refused to play for the Colts despite being cleared by doctors to play … note he didn’t quit until after collecting his huge signing bonus

On that note - Trev got a huge bonus for fielding the worst combined men’s BB and football teams in all of power 5

Alberts's situation drew a spark of anger out of Indianapolis's
usually upbeat quarterback. "You get tired of looking at the
same guys on the sidelines collecting paychecks," Harbaugh said.
"At some point we've got to find the guys who want to play.
Those are the guys who are going to be there on Sunday."
I love Alberts bugs you so much. Trev wins at life. You don't win at anything. Go Trev

Matt Rhule pockets 150k for just making a bowl regardless of how shitty that bowl is but the players should play for free and risk injury for love of the game and school pride
Georgia’s players did. Based on your logic, when is it ok for players to quit on their team? As soon as they can’t win the division? If there’s a high draft pick playing at northwestern, why play at all? Kids signed up to play for a school and with a team. They should finish what they start. That’s just being a person of character and not a selfish a-hole.

Also…$150k. Lol. Matt Rhule could give a flying F about an extra $150k. Matt Rhule is the kind of guy that would coach football for $50k if that’s what the going rate was. Some people love what they do and would do it regardless of the paycheck. Those are the guys you want at Nebraska as coaches and players.

I think it has more to do with today’s entitled youth Does anybody believe Tom’s stars would have deserted him like that?
TO literally had 2 of his best players ever (Rozier and Fryar) take Miami drug cartel payouts to throw the national championship game

Last edited:
Georgia’s players did. Based on your logic, when is it ok for players to quit on their team? As soon as they can’t win the division? If there’s a high draft pick playing at northwestern, why play at all? Kids signed up to play for a school and with a team. They should finish what they start. That’s just being a person of character and not a selfish a-hole.

Also…$150k. Lol. Matt Rhule could give a flying F about an extra $150k. Matt Rhule is the kind of guy that would coach football for $50k if that’s what the going rate was. Some people love what they do and would do it regardless of the paycheck. Those are the guys you want at Nebraska as coaches and players.
Your thinking is about 10 years behind like most Nebraska fans.

The Pop Tart Bowl was cool. Maybe a rule that all non-BCS bowls feature a cool food product mascot.
dec28.png

what a dumb azz.
*Butkus award winner
* consecutive All American
* Academic All American
* Big 8 Defensive player of the year

What have you ever accomplished is sports..not $&it I bet just types drivel ..

Mods need to flush redmichell down the toilet again.

i'm taken with the idea of moving these corporate bowl games to the front end, leave the cfp for postseason. imagine the viewership if they were played the first week in september when fans are red hot for college football?

what a dumb azz.
*Butkus award winner
* consecutive All American
* Academic All American
* Big 8 Defensive player of the year

What have you ever accomplished is sports..not $&it I bet just types drivel ..

Mods need to flush redmichell down the toilet again.
Trev rode those accolades to a first round draft choice and astutely waited for the colts to give him a big bonus before fleecing them and quitting despite being cleared to play by multiple doctors

There is absolutely no doubt that if trev were a college football player today he would have 100% opted out

Trev rode those accolades to a first round draft choice and astutely waited for the colts to give him a big bonus before fleecing them and quitting despite being cleared to play by multiple doctors

There is absolutely no doubt that if trev were a college football player today he would have 100% opted out
🖕🏼

Your thinking is about 10 years behind like most Nebraska fans.
Lol. I understand what is happening but I also see the damage it is causing. We should go back but not 10 years, but more like 30 years to save the sport. As a fan, I care much more about the game than the individual player getting paid. I’m fine with the player getting paid, but not at the detriment of the game. Also…these kids make commitment. Honor them. Finish the year.

Even if I don't agree with or believe everything you post, you go out on a limb with unconventional takes. I give you props for keeping threads interesting.

LOL - do you really think that Matt Rhule accepted the initial fair market value offer Nebraska floated or do you think the final contract was significantly more both in dollars and years than what was originally offered??

Lol. I understand what is happening but I also see the damage it is causing. We should go back but not 10 years, but more like 30 years to save the sport. As a fan, I care much more about the game than the individual player getting paid. I’m fine with the player getting paid, but not at the detriment of the game. Also…these kids make commitment. Honor them. Finish the year.
I agree.

It just sucks knowing its not gonna happen.

LOL - do you really think that Matt Rhule accepted the initial fair market value offer Nebraska floated or do you think the final contract was significantly more both in dollars and years than what was originally offered??
He said he would have coached high school football this year if he wasn’t at NU. And I believe him. But go ahead and keep thinking everyone is driven by money. It’s simply not true. Most highly successful people view the money as a secondary benefit to what they do. People motivated solely by money rarely reach the top of their field.

Tonight's Cotton Bowl is a perfect example of what greed and the current state of college football has become.

Growing up in the 70's - 90's I used to live for bowl season. It wasn't about the almighty dollar, it was about pride, representing your school and being a team.

Honestly, I absolutely hate what has happened to the bowl Games, with the opt-outs, transfers and ESPN's and University's greed. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I wish we could go back to the old ways. I know it's a bygone era but change isn't always better.

At this rate they may as well get rid of the bowls as they just aren't as entertaining and meaningful like they used to be back in the day.

Just an old man's worthless opinion.

Agree. The games with the 6-6 or 7-5 teams are the best games because those teams are using the bowls to make themself’s better rather than half the team opting out

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT