ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

TripleOption67

Walk On
Dec 5, 2017
Tonight's Cotton Bowl is a perfect example of what greed and the current state of college football has become.

Growing up in the 70's - 90's I used to live for bowl season. It wasn't about the almighty dollar, it was about pride, representing your school and being a team.

Honestly, I absolutely hate what has happened to the bowl Games, with the opt-outs, transfers and ESPN's and University's greed. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I wish we could go back to the old ways. I know it's a bygone era but change isn't always better.

At this rate they may as well get rid of the bowls as they just aren't as entertaining and meaningful like they used to be back in the day.

Just an old man's worthless opinion.

Amateur sports (for legal adults) are dead. Next up, Pop Warner kids taking their case to the highest court and winning. Hopefully the girls water polo teams will start to attract a big audience once they put them in bikinis and give ships to girls with their own pair of impressive flotation devices. Other than that remote possibility, there isn't much good to say about the state of sports.

Millennial in his 30s here and I completely agree with you. The first half of bowl season has been bad for awhile now with the continued expansion. 82 teams making a bowl is just way too many.

But now the back half of bowl play is starting to be impacted with the team’s best players opting out. Especially next year with CFP expansion… Outside of the playoff, the bowls are going to turn into exhibition games for the underclassmen.

Tonight's Cotton Bowl is a perfect example of what greed and the current state of college football has become.

Growing up in the 70's - 90's I used to live for bowl season. It wasn't about the almighty dollar, it was about pride, representing your school and being a team.

Honestly, I absolutely hate what has happened to the bowl Games, with the opt-outs, transfers and ESPN's and University's greed. Call me old fashioned or whatever but I wish we could go back to the old ways. I know it's a bygone era but change isn't always better.

At this rate they may as well get rid of the bowls as they just aren't as entertaining and meaningful like they used to be back in the day.

I couldn't agree more. It's awful

expanded playoff will make the post season games matter again

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
Amateur sports (for legal adults) are dead. Next up, Pop Warner kids taking their case to the highest court and winning. Hopefully the girls water polo teams will start to attract a big audience once they put them in bikinis and give ships to girls with their own pair of impressive flotation devices. Other than that remote possibility, there isn't much good to say about the state of sports.
Hey, back up now. We need Riley Gaines to protect women everywhere. Our wives, girlfriends, sisters, and friends.

Biological men are not ok to be with the above at all in intimate places.

As fathers, brothers, and sons we need to be fighting hard for this too

Negative. The playoff makes the regular season worthless; please see Florida St.
the current playoff makes the regular season worthless for 95% of teams.

More spots, more games that matter during the season and during the playoff. I doubt players opt out as much either.

Yeah, the bowl games have been pretty competitive all things considered though. I think the bowl games help teams rejuvenate a bit. It feels like times are playing a little faster than the regular season.

Reactions: Truewooper
expanded playoff will make the post season games matter again

Somewhat. It'll make 8 more games matter that don't now. Will still have 32 that don't matter as opposed to 40 now. But those 32 will matter even less than they do now as all eyes will be on the other 11 that do matter.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I've seen this idea thrown around recently... Move all non-playoff bowl games to the start of the season. Bowl eligibility to be determined by previous season's record. The only games played after conference title games would be the playoffs.

Millennial in his 30s here and I completely agree with you. The first half of bowl season has been bad for awhile now with the continued expansion. 82 teams making a bowl is just way too many.

But now the back half of bowl play is starting to be impacted with the team’s best players opting out. Especially next year with CFP expansion… Outside of the playoff, the bowls are going to turn into exhibition games for the underclassmen.
Sun bowl had their 90th game today. It’ll be one of the last. Two more years tops.

Blame two things: the playoff and the portal.

Expanded playoff will only make it worse with in seasonquitters, as nc states qb already did this year.

Playoff fans: Once we go to 12 teams, the orange bowl and cotton bowl will be full of fans and players wont quit! See, the system will make it better! Other bowls will go away but who cares they are meaningless

People who actually remember the old wild west system: …Stands used to be full for all these games and players never quit and people actually took pride in them. There were bowl pools and it was cant miss action….now players will quit if they arent in one of these six bowls and this is somehow better?

Personally I also think its crap that hypothetically if we had 12 teams washington could have to beat Oregon a third time in an expanded playoff. Wtf? Teams have already eliminated themselves.

And there will still be drama about the 12.

I think the playoff makes the regular season matter more as well. It should be fun to watch.
Hahaha. Tell that to the team who has been eliminated by week 11. There will be some “opt outs”.
Maybe I’m wrong?
Conference title games are also going the way of the dodo.

Yes unless they adapt the bowls and possibly college football will die much like the confederacy did when the morally bankrupt were no longer allowed to exploit it’s workers in order to line their own pockets.

I've seen this idea thrown around recently... Move all non-playoff bowl games to the start of the season. Bowl eligibility to be determined by previous season's record. The only games played after conference title games would be the playoffs.
1 ooc game based soley on previous season finish could be cool, but not sure how you pull it off.

I think the majority of these bowls aren't worth keeping. The Pop Tart Bowl, etc. I think the coaching staff gets more value out of spending that time on the recruiting trail and visiting potential transfers. Also, players don't want to risk injury in a meaningless late Dec game.

Hahaha. Tell that to the team who has been eliminated by week 11. There will be some “opt outs”.
Maybe I’m wrong?
Matt Rhule while at Temple spit in the face of all veterans and those currently serving when he opted out of the Military Bowl

Maybe I’m wrong?
teams eliminated at week 11 vs 95% basically eliminated before the season even starts. This was an odd off year with about 8 teams mattering until the end.

teams eliminated at week 11 vs 95% basically eliminated before the season even starts
You arent wrong, but you are assuming its the same mentaility as before.

When the system changes, the entire mentality changes. We’re seeing that now with “opt outs” (quitters) with the four team playoff system even though, as in your argument, there are more opportunities than in the old system.

The new system brings a new mentality on what games matter. Once a team, especially a team like usc, is eliminated you’ll see quitters in the regular season.

I also think part of the problem right now is too many bowls. 6-6 teams shouldnt make bowl games, it waters them down too much. But they’ll all be eliminated soon.

Bring back wild west bowl season! It always mattered. Never any quitters.

I think the majority of these bowls aren't worth keeping. The Pop Tart Bowl, etc. I think the coaching staff gets more value out of spending that time on the recruiting trail and visiting potential transfers. Also, players don't want to risk injury in a meaningless late Dec game.
Pop tart bowl was one of the better ones.

Here we go, fans calling a football game meaningless. If these are meaningless, why arent week 11 or 12 games meaningless?

(Players will soon be asking that same question and we won’t like the answer).

How have we gotten to the point where the orange bowl game against a top ten team is meaningless? Why wasnt it before? Ou must blame it on what has changed. And what has changed is the system.

i like bowl season but don't like seeing teams play that are decimated by opt-outs. ohio was just putrid last night while missouri was fully loaded.

i also will watch b12 and local teams more so than say notre dame v. oregon state or clemson/uk. the latter, well, i just check in and out to see scores and catch endings which was the clemson case yesterday.

I like the bowls and watch every single one

But I’m an actual football fan unlike most
Do you watch all of the nfl pre season games?

If you arent an nfl fan, then if someone says they are an nfl fan but dont watch all the pre season games, are they not an nfl football fan?

Do you watch all of the nfl pre season games?

If you arent an nfl fan, then if someone says they are an nfl fan but dont watch all the pre season games, are they not an nfl football fan?
Yep.

I also watch the nationally televised high school games and lots of FCS.

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
You arent wrong, but you are assuming its the same mentaility as before.

When the system changes, the entire mentality changes. We’re seeing that now with “opt outs” (quitters) with the four team playoff system even though, as in your argument, there are more opportunities than in the old system.

The new system brings a new mentality on what games matter. Once a team, especially a team like usc, is eliminated you’ll see quitters in the regular season.

I also think part of the problem right now is too many bowls. 6-6 teams shouldnt make bowl games, it waters them down too much. But they’ll all be eliminated soon.

Bring back wild west bowl season! It always mattered. Never any quitters.
players of NFL teams are made inactive as well if their team has things wrapped up going into the playoffs or if teams are basically done for the year. Seems to be the nature of all sports at this point. At least the playoffs gets a good chunk of these high profile players playing until the end

Yep.

I also watch the nationally televised high school games and lots of FCS.
Most dont have time for that, but personally, and i’m guessing 99.9% of people would agree, if an nfl fan didnt watch the pre season games ormonly watch the first quarter because the starters are only playing then, they are still considered football fans.

Likewise, I dont blame people who are put off by players quitting and it feels like watching the c team or an entirey different team.

I usually have the bowl games on at home at least in the background but players quitting is definitely taking away from the product.

Reactions: king_kong_
players of NFL teams are made inactive as well if their team has things wrapped up going into the playoffs or if teams are basically done for the year. Seems to be the nature of all sports at this point. At least the playoffs gets a good chunk of these high profile players playing until the end
Difference in the NFL is that its the team decision, not the players. If the player would quit, theyd be sued for breach of contract and would be out of the league.

Difference in the NFL is that its the team decision, not the players. If the player would quit, theyd be sued for breach of contract and would be out of the league.
I can see college football adopting such a clause

Arizona bowl: toledo vs wyoming on the cw at 3.

Very excited for this one.

Best bowl game today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT