ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

I'm not certain anything can slow players opting out of the post season short of requiring them to compensate the school for their scholarship.

Expanded playoffs aren't going to slow it down.

The Peach Bowl between Penn St and 'Ol Miss is super entertaining. From the offensive fireworks to the Rebels sideline antics of slam dunking basketballs to shooting off fire extinguishers.

I didn't plan on watching this game as I hate anything Lane Kiffin related.

Last edited:
Somewhat. It'll make 8 more games matter that don't now. Will still have 32 that don't matter as opposed to 40 now. But those 32 will matter even less than they do now as all eyes will be on the other 11 that do matter.
Mattered for what?

In terms of National championships, the vast majority of bowl games have never mattered, so now is no different. In terms of national championships, the vast majority of regular season games didn't matter either.

If you were interested in watching the Liberty Bowl 20 years ago, you probably will still watch it now.

If you are transferring or going to the NFL, you won't play in the bowl game any more. Bowl games are more about next year than this year. They are nothing more than exhibitions any more with a glimpse info next year and beyond, slightly more important than spring games...which people watch also.

The playoff has completely shifted what a “successful” season is in college football. This started with the BCS but was fairly limited because most teams knew they weren’t getting in after a single loss. The rest of the season wasn’t a waste because teams still had other goals…division/conference titles, win totals, New years bowl game. A lot of these goals were based on college football tradition and the value of these accomplishments were based in the fact that there was never previously a title game and school pride meant something. The playoff keeps more teams “in the title hunt” for longer, but has completely devalued regular season top matchups. See Alabama vs texas this year. That game is totally meaningless in deciding a champion right now. The playoff has changed the fabric of what is important in college football and I don’t care for it. The regular season used to be the playoff and most teams played for pride and secondary goals. It was great. It created the current fanatic environment of the sport. I still watch but it’s not the same. I miss do or die week 1 matchups. Now, both teams will still get in. Who cares who wins the regular season? No more sec title game slugfests…if you lose, you’ll get another shot. That sucks.

No college football game was ever meaningless prior to the BCS and playoffs because teams played for more than just a national title.

“Not the victory, but the action; not the goal, but the game; in the deed the glory.” This is what made college football great and it’s what they’ve abandoned imo.

The playoff has completely shifted what a “successful” season is in college football. This started with the BCS but was fairly limited because most teams knew they weren’t getting in after a single loss. The rest of the season wasn’t a waste because teams still had other goals…division/conference titles, win totals, New years bowl game. A lot of these goals were based on college football tradition and the value of these accomplishments were based in the fact that there was never previously a title game and school pride meant something. The playoff keeps more teams “in the title hunt” for longer, but has completely devalued regular season top matchups. See Alabama vs texas this year. That game is totally meaningless in deciding a champion right now. The playoff has changed the fabric of what is important in college football and I don’t care for it. The regular season used to be the playoff and most teams played for pride and secondary goals. It was great. It created the current fanatic environment of the sport. I still watch but it’s not the same. I miss do or die week 1 matchups. Now, both teams will still get in. Who cares who wins the regular season? No more sec title game slugfests…if you lose, you’ll get another shot. That sucks.

No college football game was ever meaningless prior to the BCS and playoffs because teams played for more than just a national title.

“Not the victory, but the action; not the goal, but the game; in the deed the glory.” This is what made college football great and it’s what they’ve abandoned imo.
To add to this. When there wasn't a glutton of bowls it meant something to teams and schools to go somewhere. And actually have a successful season by having to win at minimum 7 games out of 11 and even then you weren't guaranteed a bowl. Fans and players hoping to get a big time bowl invite. The bowl scouts at all the games late in the year. The speculation of where you were going and who you were playing.

Many years multiple New Years day games had National Title implications. Cotton, Rose, then either the Sugar or Orange Bowl or both might decide the National Title. Now they're either meaningless or just another step to get to a championship game.

It meant something. Players cared, fans cared. Now it seams the only ones who care are those making money.

Really hope FSU goes Nebraska vs Texas ‘09, and actually wins.

I’m guessing they run out of gas before the end of the first half though.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
To add to this. When there wasn't a glutton of bowls it meant something to teams and schools to go somewhere. And actually have a successful season by having to win at minimum 7 games out of 11 and even then you weren't guaranteed a bowl. Fans and players hoping to get a big time bowl invite. The bowl scouts at all the games late in the year. The speculation of where you were going and who you were playing.

Many years multiple New Years day games had National Title implications. Cotton, Rose, then either the Sugar or Orange Bowl or both might decide the National Title. Now they're either meaningless or just another step to get to a championship game.

It meant something. Players cared, fans cared. Now it seams the only ones who care are those making money.

Eliminate lower tier bowls and conference title games. Expand the playoffs and play the later rounds at bowl sites. Move the early signing deadline to August.

Eliminate lower tier bowls and conference title games. Expand the playoffs and play the later rounds at bowl sites. Move the early signing deadline to August.
Why does anyone want to reduce bowl games? This take baffles me. There is no good reason to play less bowl games. Why do low tier bowl games bother anyone? They’re still miles better to watch and enjoy than anything else on tv and they’re good for team development. What’s the down side to playing?

Why does anyone want to reduce bowl games? This take baffles me. There is no good reason to play less bowl games. Why do low tier bowl games bother anyone? They’re still miles better to watch and enjoy than anything else on tv and they’re good for team development. What’s the down side to playing?
If/when the NCAA expands the playoff, the lower tier bowls might become a casualty. Interest in those games would dwindle to die hard team fans and hardcore football junkies. Many elite players would still opt out. If they want lower tier bowl games, move them to the beginning of the season. Just my two cents.

Reactions: BleedRed78
If/when the NCAA expands the playoff, the lower tier bowls might become a casualty. Interest in those games would dwindle to die hard team fans and hardcore football junkies. Many elite players would still opt out. If they want lower tier bowl games, move them to the beginning of the season. Just my two cents.
So what? If they lose money and they end naturally that’s one thing. Actively calling for them to end because you think they won’t be profitable is entirely different. College football fans should be fighting to keep what we have, not calling for the end

Reactions: kidofSN
I have so many good memories growing up where I looked forward to Jan. 1 bowl games. It really did mean something. Top level players now can get millions in NIL to protect themselves against an injury risk, unlike players back then, but just don’t care.

I think the majority of these bowls aren't worth keeping. The Pop Tart Bowl, etc. I think the coaching staff gets more value out of spending that time on the recruiting trail and visiting potential transfers. Also, players don't want to risk injury in a meaningless late Dec game.
The Pop Tart Bowl was cool. Maybe a rule that all non-BCS bowls feature a cool food product mascot.

Reactions: AVeritas
The Pop Tart Bowl was cool. Maybe a rule that all non-BCS bowls feature a cool food product mascot.
The SPAM mascot just woke up...
my time GIF

So what? If they lose money and they end naturally that’s one thing. Actively calling for them to end because you think they won’t be profitable is entirely different. College football fans should be fighting to keep what we have, not calling for the end
Did you watch the Cotton and Orange bowls? The end is already here. We have a whole of thread of posters lamenting the death of meaningful bowl games. They meant something at one time, but it has passed. You're clinging to something that's already gone.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Did you watch the Cotton and Orange bowls? The end is already here. We have a whole of thread of posters lamenting the death of meaningful bowl games. They meant something at one time, but it has passed. You're clinging to something that's already gone.
Sir, can I get your signature for this death policy? Thank you in advance...

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
The Arizona bowl was wildly entertaining for many reasons. Very enjoyable watch.
Toledo had two quitters so I’m very glad Wyoming won.

RIDE FOR THE BRAND

if a team wants to go bowling and is willing to eat the unsold tickets allotted to them, who’s going to stop them? Cities will support bowls for the additional foot traffic. The NCAA could raise the bar on who qualifies for a bowl bid, but they allow 5 game win teams in now.

So end the entire tradition and history for everyone because of a few dud games where a couple teams didn’t want to play? Quit trying to decide what should be done for everyone. If it doesn’t appeal to you, fine. Just don’t watch. But let the rest of us enjoy the games

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT