ADVERTISEMENT

Please help me understand regarding scheduling…..

Brother I bleed Husker red. My dad was a 3 year starter for the Huskers. But I’m also a realist. Those “cupcakes” in our conference (specifically the division) you are referring to have been beating us regularly for the last decade.

When they aren’t guaranteed Ws, sadly, we need to find some true bottom feeders. We are a blue blood but we aren’t a winning program right now. Have to start with baby steps IMO.
You are confusing the point though. Nebraska needs to get to were Nebraska should be. Nebraska losing to Northwestern, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue etc on a regular basis is a Nebraska problem. Opening the season at Minnesota shouldn't be considered a lucky game to win. You don't lower your standards just to say you are meeting them, that is a stupid way to try and get back. Playing "true bottom feeders" just to say we are winning isn't going to help beat Minnesota or Illinois. Those aren't baby steps, that is just attempting to create a false narrative and false perception as to where your program is.

Last edited:
What is this "preseason" you keep referring to? You may as well get your mind into the current decade of college football and forget about scheduling cupcakes. Have you seen where the B1G is headed? Nebraska will be playing a 10 game conference schedule soon and sure, we'll play a couple of lesser teams every year, but the bottom line is it's likely we will always be opening with a conference game. It's all about eyeballs and money and the conference doesn't see anything sexy about putting Nebraska vs The Citadel on BTN.

Nebraska and Clemson have nothing to do with setting their conference schedules. You should know that already if you've paid any attention to the schedules that Nebraska has had pounded up their butts for years on end.
agree with OP, also agree with this ^^^
would've been smarter in retrospect last few years (decade) not throwing a team desperately lacking in talent against some actually capable nonconference opponents (GA Southern, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc)... etc....

ain't gonna matter soon. We'll be playing 10 teams per year that would be able to beat us on paper.

Reactions: mgbreis
agree with OP, also agree with this ^^^
would've been smarter in retrospect last few years (decade) not throwing a team desperately lacking in talent against some actually capable nonconference opponents (GA Southern, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc)... etc....

ain't gonna matter soon. We'll be playing 10 teams per year that would be able to beat us on paper.
Again, Nebraska has little to no direct control over conference games as to when they are played. The conference is going to cower to the networks to provide them better match ups in the first 3 weeks of the season. Nebraska being a good TV draw and without the stroke of Ohio St, Michigan is going to be an easy target for these early season conference matchups

Great...we've become the fanbase that whines about playing Minnesota, and the refs if we lose. Sweet jeezus I feel like I woke up in the Twilight Zone.
Not playing Minnesota. Opening with them. Big difference.

If I had to bet my life savings it would be that the Big10 wants us here but they don’t want us winning. Our name gets them the money and viewers they want. But they don’t want us taking out Michigan and OSU. With that being said our terrible coaching has made it pretty easy to get that wish every year.

But whining about refs is pretty much any fan base any time they lose.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Again, Nebraska has little to no direct control over conference games as to when they are played. The conference is going to cower to the networks to provide them better match ups in the first 3 weeks of the season. Nebraska being a good TV draw and without the stroke of Ohio St, Michigan is going to be an easy target for these early season conference matchups
I don’t disagree. At all.

That’s why I am saying we need to control what we can control (OOC schedule) to ensure we have requisite wins to make a bowl. Every year.

You know how many practices we have missed out on over the last 6 years due to missing bowls. Probably 60-80. That’s why I’m saying, even if we have to play the cupcakes to ensure we make it to a bowl, that’s where we need to start.

We won’t get an assist from our own conference. So we need to help ourselves.

That’s why I am saying we need to control what we can control (OOC schedule) to ensure we have requisite wins to make a bowl. Every year.

You know how many practices we have missed out on over the last 6 years due to missing bowls. Probably 60-80. That’s why I’m saying, even if we have to play the cupcakes to ensure we make it to a bowl, that’s where we need to start.

Which of the 2023 OOC games were not considered to be winnable at the time they were scheduled?

Reactions: American Horse

If I had to bet my life savings it would be that the Big10 wants us here but they don’t want us winning. Our name gets them the money and viewers they want. But they don’t want us taking out Michigan and OSU. With that being said our terrible coaching has made it pretty easy to get that wish every year.

People whining about opening w/Minnesota sound like giant dripping wet freaking pussies.

We were the 5th most watched game opening week 2 years in a row. Think about that. A team that hasnt been to a bowl game in 6 years playing MN and NW and people still tune in. People better get used to us opening with these types of games. We bat way above our weight when it comes to viewers and the Big 10 will continue to exploit that.

Big 10 isn't going to baby us just because we onside kick up by 10 or can't throw to the correct team opening week.

• Haha
Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

You know how you make a bowl.....? Build a team that can win games and win those games. Stop worrying about the schedule so much.

Reactions: American Horse
Why would Nebraska (or anyone in the Big10, SEC, etc) feel the need to schedule anyone with a pulse in the non-conference?

You go 3-0 to start and slide into the Top 25 (or get votes). Then you try to go 6-2 in conf games and get your 9 wins. 3-5 in conf games and you go bowling. Every single year.

I don’t get the benefit of the preseason Florida State game that LSU just lost. They win their division of the SEC and no one is saying “well they didn’t play anyone in the preseason”. And teams with a few conference losses will always get ranked based on record.

Nebraska with a 8-3 record at the end of the season with a preseason loss to Colorado might not be ranked. Replace that Colorado team with University of the Blind and we are 9-2 and ranked higher. Everyone forgets about strength of schedule unless you’re an elite team trying to get into the playoff.

The secret to building a program involves strategic scheduling as a factor.

Play cupcakes in the preseason. KSU with Snyder was a master at the 4-0 start to the season. Wisconsin built their program on the backs of North Dakota and San Jose State in the preseason. It gets them the wins they needed to be ranked and relevant.

Oh yeah one more thing……

Don’t schedule critical conference games to start your season. Warm up with some cupcakes. Nebraska and Clemson……I am looking at you right now.

And if you really want to get good at it, schedule
The Citadel and teams like them in early November so you essentially have a BYE week during your conference run to rest your starters early and start game planning for the big game the following week. Your boys will be healthy and ready to finish strong. Alabama has been doing this for decades.

This stuff isn’t that hard. The recipe is there for everyone to see.
I agree. I want to get better as much as anyone. Winning games at the beginning of the year is vitally important. Yes, I know we’ve had issues with the cupcake games as well. We’re not a good program right now. Maryland went 7-5 last year with 3 of their wins against Buffalo, Charlotte, and SMU (first 3 games). Maryland found themselves in a bowl game, which they won against an ACC school. Recruits see that stuff. Players get excited for it. I see a team that’s building, got to a bowl, and won the game. I don’t care what made of their 7 wins. We’re not talking the playoff here.

Reactions: HUSKERBILL

That I fully agree with. They love having the brand, but don't actually want that brand back where it was because it would own the conference along with Ohio St.

I get what you're saying, but your message seems confused. Is it that you don't want to open with Minnesota? Or that we need to schedule more cupcakes? Because the former we have no control over, and the latter is Colorado, NIU and LA Tech. All three should be looked at as 95% wins if Nebraska is anything but a cupcake itself. There was no bigger P5 cupcake in college football than Colorado until 5 days ago.

i'd like to accomplish not being a B1GW doormat before worrying about OOC games affecting our end of season rankings.

we'd have been way better off playing all cupcakes, was the point. May have sniffed a bowl once or twice had we. GOING to even a shitty bowl can't hurt for recruiting, can it? Is it ANY WONDER why elite athletes don't wanna come here?

we'd have been way better off playing all cupcakes, was the point. May have sniffed a bowl once or twice had we. GOING to even a shitty bowl can't hurt for recruiting, can it? Is it ANY WONDER why elite athletes don't wanna come here?
So I ask again, when they signed the contracts to the non conference games for 2023, which game would you have considered a non cupcake?

Colorado.
When the deal was signed on Feb 7, 2013 Colorado was coming off a 1-11 season and 5 consecutive losing seasons.

season 3 the lost episode GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

When the deal was signed on Feb 7, 2013 Colorado was coming off a 1-11 season and 5 consecutive losing seasons.

season 3 the lost episode GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Nice “trap” question. But you seem to
think it was smarter scheduling a Colorado vs a “School of The Blind” level team, as I am suggesting?

So what has actually happened SINCE that CU/NU series signing day in 2013 -

Colorado owns a 2-0 record vs. Neb

Colorado won more games than Neb

Colorado has finished a season ranked. Neb hasn’t.

So your data point trying to infer that Colorado was a winnable game hasn’t actually proven to be true.

Put away the clown gif bud and try to keep it respectful.

I get what you're saying, but your message seems confused. Is it that you don't want to open with Minnesota? Or that we need to schedule more cupcakes? Because the former we have no control over, and the latter is Colorado, NIU and LA Tech. All three should be looked at as 95% wins if Nebraska is anything but a cupcake itself. There was no bigger P5 cupcake in college football than Colorado until 5 days ago.
My message is focusing on our OOC scheduling that we control.

The opening with a conf opponent part was just me complaining. Makes me wonder how well Trev is lobbying the Big10. He was openly lobbying for us when he took over regarding who we have played or not since coming over.

Nice “trap” question. But you seem to
think it was smarter scheduling a Colorado vs a “School of The Blind” level team, as I am suggesting?

So what has actually happened SINCE that CU/NU series signing day in 2013 -

Colorado owns a 2-0 record vs. Neb

Colorado won more games than Neb

Colorado has finished a season ranked. Neb hasn’t.

So your data point trying to infer that Colorado was a winnable game hasn’t actually proven to be true.

Put away the clown gif bud and try to keep it respectful.
You can't look at results after the signing of the contract as a way to prove that Colorado wasn't a patsy when the deal was signed. It is a snapshot in time. In February 2013 Colorado was coming off a 1-11 season, no different than if they signed a contract, in February 2013, with a directional school coming off a 1-11 season.

The question I asked was:

Which of the 2023 OOC games were not considered to be winnable at the time they were scheduled?

How is my point not proven to be accurate? When Colorado signed the deal with Nebraska, Nebraska was coming off a Big 12 division title. Things change after the signing but that doesn't change the perception of the teams at the time of the signings.

So I ask again, when they signed the contracts to the non conference games for 2023, which game would you have considered a non cupcake?
well, as you'll see tomorrow, Colorado for this year, past years OU, Oregon... until we start recruiting talent again, 'power conference teams' (who knows what that's gonna look like in the next few years) are gonna give us a lot of trouble. Since recruiting took a nosedive under Riley, we've seen it most years.

It's all Monday morning QB tho at this point. Just think we need to all temper our expectations with our team going forward. We're disadvantaged by Money and Geography, and those things aren't gonna change.

My message is focusing on our OOC scheduling that we control.

The opening with a conf opponent part was just me complaining. Makes me wonder how well Trev is lobbying the Big10. He was openly lobbying for us when he took over regarding who we have played or not since coming over.
Utterly false, but perhaps that's why you did not respond to my post #40.

well, as you'll see tomorrow, Colorado for this year, past years OU, Oregon... until we start recruiting talent again, 'power conference teams' (who knows what that's gonna look like in the next few years) are gonna give us a lot of trouble. Since recruiting took a nosedive under Riley, we've seen it most years.

It's all Monday morning QB tho at this point. Just think we need to all temper our expectations with our team going forward. We're disadvantaged by Money and Geography, and those things aren't gonna change.
Such a lame excuse. Nebraska's NIL has enough money to be competitive. Geography is a non issue as has been seen in the number of kids from Texas and the southeast that Nebraska has pulled in under Rhule.

Reactions: king_kong_
Why would Nebraska (or anyone in the Big10, SEC, etc) feel the need to schedule anyone with a pulse in the non-conference?

You go 3-0 to start and slide into the Top 25 (or get votes). Then you try to go 6-2 in conf games and get your 9 wins. 3-5 in conf games and you go bowling. Every single year.

I don’t get the benefit of the preseason Florida State game that LSU just lost. They win their division of the SEC and no one is saying “well they didn’t play anyone in the preseason”. And teams with a few conference losses will always get ranked based on record.

Nebraska with a 8-3 record at the end of the season with a preseason loss to Colorado might not be ranked. Replace that Colorado team with University of the Blind and we are 9-2 and ranked higher. Everyone forgets about strength of schedule unless you’re an elite team trying to get into the playoff.

The secret to building a program involves strategic scheduling as a factor.

Play cupcakes in the preseason. KSU with Snyder was a master at the 4-0 start to the season. Wisconsin built their program on the backs of North Dakota and San Jose State in the preseason. It gets them the wins they needed to be ranked and relevant.

Oh yeah one more thing……

Don’t schedule critical conference games to start your season. Warm up with some cupcakes. Nebraska and Clemson……I am looking at you right now.

And if you really want to get good at it, schedule
The Citadel and teams like them in early November so you essentially have a BYE week during your conference run to rest your starters early and start game planning for the big game the following week. Your boys will be healthy and ready to finish strong. Alabama has been doing this for decades.

This stuff isn’t that hard. The recipe is there for everyone to see.
Scheduling good out of conference teams is for the fans and getting TV viewer eyeballs/exposure.

Wait, now you're complaining about the team's fifth game of the year, against a team that at the outset of the season was ranked below Nebraska, and into which Nebraska was undefeated and ranked in the top 10? What exactly will make you happy, an FCS team, UConn, Vanderbilt, then nothing but Rutgers for 8 weeks before Iowa? Jeez this is pathetic.
Oh boy. Okay I had missed this post. So here is your answer

1. Wisconsin was NOT ranked below Nebraska going into the season. UW and Neb were ranked #10/11 and #11/10 in the AP and Coaches Polls respectively. They were EXACTLY the same. Look it up.

2. When they played UW was ranked #7 and Nebraska was #8 in both polls.

My statements about the Big 10 were very clear. They like us in the conference but were NOT ever going to give us any favors. Thus we get a crap schedule from them that benefits viewership, puts us in tougher games but protects Ohio State and Michigans run to the championship.

That happens.

And this was no different. Wisconsin was THE HIGHEST RATED TEAM in the Big Ten going into that season. It wasn’t Ohio State or Michigan. The Big 10 was never going to risk them getting beat against Nebraska. But they had no problem having us play Wisconsin.

I don’t see what you’re calling out. What happened was EXACTLY in line with what I’m saying happens.

We get a tough run and Michigan and Ohio State get protected.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta

1. Wisconsin was NOT ranked below Nebraska going into the season. UW and Neb were ranked #10/11 and #11/10 in the AP and Coaches Polls respectively. They were EXACTLY the same. Look it up.

My statements about the Big 10 were very clear. They like us in the conference but were NOT ever going to give us any favors. Thus we get a crap schedule from them that benefits viewership, puts us in tougher games but protects Ohio State and Michigans run to the championship.

That happens.

And this was no different. Wisconsin was THE HIGHEST RATED TEAM in the Big Ten going into that season. It wasn’t Ohio State or Michigan. The Big 10 was never going to risk them getting beat against Nebraska. But they had no problem having us play Wisconsin.

I don’t see what you’re calling out. What happened was EXACTLY in line with what I’m saying happens.

Thanks for not even bothering to deny your claim that your original point was limited to OOC scheduling.

I looked only at the AP poll, so I'm not wrong - even though you variously claim in the same post the teams were preseason "exactly the same" yet somehow also "Wisconsin was THE HIGHEST RATED TEAM in the Big Team going into that season." Neat trick.

Regardless, you're left bitching about two evenly-matched teams playing in freaking game 5 and shrieking "unfair!" only because it happened in conference first (and after N had played four unranked OOC teams, you got what you wanted!!). And that year Wisconsin was division-obligated to play OSU and PSU, and cross-over played ranked N and conference champ MSU. There was plenty of risk Wisconsin could be beaten in conference.

And who mentioned anything about Michigan and OSU schedules? Certainly not relevant to your point of this only being about Nebraska OOC. Stop typing.

If you remain unsure: I'm calling you out for demanding that the conference coddle Nebraska and the AD pussy-foot the team's way through the OOC until a coach can get this poor little outfit with all the support and infrastructure imaginable yet unfortunately too, the excuses, back on its feet. Again, it's pathetic.

That happens.

PSU played at Purdue in the Thursday night opener last year IIRC. I bet they aren't crying about it. We create ways to lose. Not the Big Ten's problem.

Thanks for not even bothering to deny your claim that your original point was limited to OOC scheduling.

I looked only at the AP poll, so I'm not wrong - even though you variously claim in the same post the teams were preseason "exactly the same" yet somehow also "Wisconsin was THE HIGHEST RATED TEAM in the Big Team going into that season." Neat trick.

Regardless, you're left bitching about two evenly-matched teams playing in freaking game 5 and shrieking "unfair!" only because it happened in conference first (and after N had played four unranked OOC teams, you got what you wanted!!). And that year Wisconsin was division-obligated to play OSU and PSU, and cross-over played ranked N and conference champ MSU. There was plenty of risk Wisconsin could be beaten in conference.

And who mentioned anything about Michigan and OSU schedules? Certainly not relevant to your point of this only being about Nebraska OOC. Stop typing.

If you remain unsure: I'm calling you out for demanding that the conference coddle Nebraska and the AD pussy-foot the team's way through the OOC until a coach can get this poor little outfit with all the support and infrastructure imaginable yet unfortunately too, the excuses, back on its feet. Again, it's pathetic.
Okay

1. To clarify, I meant that Wisconsin was the highest rated team WE COULD PLAY going into the season. They were. Since Neb couldn’t play against themselves, my quote (given the context of saying the conference paired us up against the best team that wasn’t OSU or Mich) that should have been obvious.

2. Yes I was complaining about our conference giving us a tough schedule every year historically. Trev even brought it up when he first came on bird and called them out.

3. I mentioned it about the OSU and Michigan schedules. That’s who brought it up.

4. That’s fine but f you want to call me out for wanting us to make schedule changes to our OOC schedule to guarantee us some wins. Sadly we need it. I have NO excuse there - it’s just what I feel we need at this point to get us into a bowl game. We have fallen so far as a program due to terrible coaching that I feel we need to guarantee ourselves a bowl game so we can start the rebuild.

The missed practices alone from missing bowl games is a HUGE loss to the development of the program. Drastic measures are needed to get 6 wins no matter what.

PSU played at Purdue in the Thursday night opener last year IIRC. I bet they aren't crying about it. We create ways to lose. Not the Big Ten's problem
PSU played at Purdue in the Thursday night opener last year IIRC. I bet they aren't crying about it. We create ways to lose. Not the Big Ten's problem.
They probably did. As stated, the Big10 won’t do anything to hurt Michigan or OSU. I don’t think they care much about Penn State either.

Just my opinion.

Such a lame excuse. Nebraska's NIL has enough money to be competitive. Geography is a non issue as has been seen in the number of kids from Texas and the southeast that Nebraska has pulled in under Rhule.
I would never say that geography is a non issue. But Rhule’s work ethic is leveling the playing field. I’m not sure I’ve seen a more focused effort than what Rhule is doing in the history of me watching Husker football. Callahan was good. I think Rhule is even better.

To each their own. We’ve had SLIGHTLY above average talent recruiting the last decade (middle third), but half of our 4’s and 5’s haven’t stuck. Yeah ‘toxic environment’, but I think geography OBVIOUSLY plays a role. And everyone knows we don’t have the same local talent pool as most of the rest of even the Big 10, but I know full well that our NIL funds rank about the same as our recruiting. We’re always gonna be at a disadvantage compared to elite programs. It’s a problem today that Osborne didn’t have.

Splain me Colorado’s resurgence after a 1 win season. They’re mostly the same team with a handful of awesome, talented skill players. Clown coach.

NIL, Location.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT