ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiskers find away to upset #6 Wisky at home

Wow. Roller coaster team. Great win.
Can they get a road W over these next two?

5 seed would be impossible I would have to think 8 is the ceiling. As far as the other stuff...
"If" they win at Illinois They will be 5-4 in Quad 1's... 17-6 overall and wins over Purdue, Wisconsin and @Illinois. Michigan State has that Resume they are ranked in the top 15 and a 4 seed. Somehow we are maxed at an 8? Why, because we're Nebraska?

Just stop. We got 9 games left. We win 4 and we get to 20. With victories over Michigan State, Kansas State, Indiana, Purdue, and now Wisconsin. I wish we would have beaten Creighton and Minnesota. I hope this helps with Hoiberg's recruiting for next year. It's nice to win for a change.
I’m doing more of the ‘damn we coulda had Minnesota and Rutgers’ games. We had those games.

"If" they win at Illinois They will be 5-4 in Quad 1's... 17-6 overall and wins over Purdue, Wisconsin and @Illinois. Michigan State has that Resume they are ranked in the top 15 and a 4 seed. Somehow we are maxed at an 8? Why, because we're Nebraska?
Outside of a monumental collapse, we are a lock if we beat Illinois

Reactions: huskerfan66
Don't have time to read the whole thread but does anyone know if the Nevada Gaming Commission has opened their investigation yet? That was the worst reffing I've ever seen at the end of the game and the refs clearly had money on the Badgers.

"I wouldn't be surprised if we got embarrassed in our 1st post season game, but I wouldn't put it past this team to be sweet 16 either."

I know I shouldn't go there yet but oh, man. To be able to pencil in Nebraska on my Sweet 16 bracket would be so much fun.

ESPN win projector had Wisconsin at a 98.6% chance to win in the second half.

Almost as bad as hillary’s 99% chance.
Almost as epic of a result, too.

Perhaps some poetic irony....

Since 2019, Nebraska football has the only Power 5 program to have lost more than 5 games when the ESPN win projector had them at a 98% prediction or better in the 4th quarter.

Colorado - 2019
Michigan State - 2021
Northwestern - 2022
Minnesota - 2023
Maryland - 2023

1. Nebraska isn't winning at Illinois. The Illini are awesome at home. Nebraska is bad on the road. But more importantly, Illinois gives Nebraska terrible matchup fits.

2. There is a SoS component at play with Sparty. They played a tough non con and is rewarded for it according to the metrics.

3. If Nebraska could pull off the shocker at Illinois, I think they would likely vault into the top 35 of the NET ranking.

Take their lumps the next 2 road games come back home and beat Penn St and Michigan. It is the Michigan on thats tough. They stink but we havent beat them in ages

Bummer - kstate fell out of top 75 so back to 3-3 in quad 1 games

Reactions: mgbreis
Don't have time to read the whole thread but does anyone know if the Nevada Gaming Commission has opened their investigation yet? That was the worst reffing I've ever seen at the end of the game and the refs clearly had money on the Badgers.
Anytime a Wisconsin frat boy dork falls to the floor, the good ol' boys who officiate Big Ten games are required to call a foul. It's how they keep the gig year after year after year after year. Who the Hell wants to ref Patriot League games for a fraction of the money and no TV time?

Anytime a Wisconsin frat boy dork falls to the floor, the good ol' boys who officiate Big Ten games are required to call a foul. It's how they keep the gig year after year after year after year. Who the Hell wants to ref Patriot League games for a fraction of the money and no TV time?
Had to appreciate the irony when Gary got ran over, didn’t get the charge call, and Bahe said, “Brad Davison used to get that call all her time.” Huh, no shit Nick?

Just quoting you so as many people as possible can see what a jackass you are.
He’s really not. He was/is frustrated like most of us have been. His posting history is consistently Husker fandom. He’s probably in the majority of Husker fans with his feelings about Nebrasketball. It’s not for the faint of heart.

Reactions: V-Doub and WHCSC
Nebraska Basketball is a flash in the pan on any given night. We are great at home because we shoot well at home. If the shots aren't falling this team does not have the players to overcome it. We simply can't win in any other way. Without a true big man or point guard to distribute we become very average quickly.

Nebraska shoots the ball better at home, scoring 80.6 points per game on 46.2 percent efficiency from the field and 37.2 percent from three, while scoring just 70.3 points a contest on the road, while shooting 42.7 percent from the field and 31.9 percent from home

Reactions: huskerfan66
Had to appreciate the irony when Gary got ran over, didn’t get the charge call, and Bahe said, “Brad Davison used to get that call all her time.” Huh, no shit Nick?
My favorite no-call of the game was when Brice Williams grabbed a defensive rebound and that goober Gilmore intentionally hip-checked him out of bounds right in front of the official, who proceeded to swallow his whistle. My God if a Husker player had done that to one of the UW golden boys, it probably would have been at least a Flagrant #1.

This team just can’t dwell on beating two top teams when they haven’t beat anyone on the road in conference play..

Some how some way they need a road win and I highly doubt it happens in the next two games..
Keep taking care of business at home the rest of the way is very do able..

Last edited:
The stats on road wins for top 10ish teams this year is down something crazy like 75% over the past 5 years to 40% this year. We are not abnormal to other teams. Winning on the road in cbb is crazy hard.
40% is quite a bit more than 0%.

Need at least two road wins and at least one big ten tourney win.

That really is not too much to ask a tourney team. I know it seems like a lot to nebraska fans, but believe it or not its quite common.

Nebraska Basketball is a flash in the pan on any given night. We are great at home because we shoot well at home. If the shots aren't falling this team does not have the players to overcome it. We simply can't win in any other way. Without a true big man or point guard to distribute we become very average quickly.

Nebraska shoots the ball better at home, scoring 80.6 points per game on 46.2 percent efficiency from the field and 37.2 percent from three, while scoring just 70.3 points a contest on the road, while shooting 42.7 percent from the field and 31.9 percent from home
Without a true Big Man... Yet our Big Man just recently went 13/17 being 7/9 in the paint and 6/8 behind the arc for 34 and 10 Rebounds... Then last night he went for 20 and 8... and then against Zach Edey "The best College Big man in the Country" he went 18 points and was on record saying he was boxing out Edey for other to get the boards in that game.

True Big man... quite honestly I'd rather have Mast if he isn't a "True" big man

This team just can’t dwell on beating two top teams when they haven’t beat anyone on the road in conference play..

Some how some way they need a road win and I highly doubt it happens in the next two games..
Keep taking care of business at home the rest of the way is very do able..
Listen... do they really. NET Ranking can kiss my ass.

So Michigan State has had a tougher out of conference schedule... who gives a shit

We have Head to Head
We have more Quad 1 wins
We have a better record
We have better Quad 1 wins
Screenshot_20240202_082123_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240202_082054_Chrome.jpg

So we need road wins, but Michigan State doesn't? These metrics are Trash, and I find teamrankings.com RPI to be the most legit fair (forget about name) Ranking system

So Michigan State has had a tougher out of conference schedule... who gives a shit

We have Head to Head
We have more Quad 1 wins
We have a better record

So we need road wins, but Michigan State doesn't? These metrics are Trash, and I find teamrankings.com RPI to be the most legit fair (forget about name) Ranking system
Yeah so dumb. I guess better to play more quad one teams and lose

It's ironic - this team really needs to check that 'conference road win' box, but their next road game is one that you probably don't require (Illinois). A loss there is expected and forgiven. Maybe even the same for the next one at NW, who has almost been a mirror image of NU with some damn impressive home wins.

It will also be nice if MSU finishes strong, and it would be nice if KSU could pick up some nice wins (they have a lot of opportunities at home coming up)...keeping those two as Quad 1 wins is important.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers

We have Head to Head
We have more Quad 1 wins
We have a better record

We don’t know what all the tools the committee works with, and know one is saying MSU is a lock in the tournament either..

As long as we don’t stub our toe at home I think we’ll get in, but you can’t deny winning a game or two would really boost our chances…

Nebraska has nine (9!) regular season games left - that's an eternity. I just don't see much of a point in debating end-of-season stuff. We're in fantastic position to get to 20+ wins, but one bad stretch could possibly doom us as well. Like Scarlet said, job #1 is taking care of business at home.

We don’t know what all the tools the committee works with, and know one is saying MSU is a lock in the tournament either..

As long as we don’t stub our toe at home I think we’ll get in, but you can’t deny winning a game or two would really boost our chances…
I am sure they add in point difference and in all our conference road losses but Rutgers was an ass whoopin'

22 - @Maryland
16 - @Wisconsin
18 - @Iowa
11 - @Minnasota

Minnesota did to us what we just did to Wisconsin

He’s really not. He was/is frustrated like most of us have been. His posting history is consistently Husker fandom. He’s probably in the majority of Husker fans with his feelings about Nebrasketball. It’s not for the faint of heart.

Fair enough… But his statement was totally inaccurate on all levels.

Without a true Big Man... Yet our Big Man just recently went 13/17 being 7/9 in the paint and 6/8 behind the arc for 34 and 10 Rebounds... Then last night he went for 20 and 8... and then against Zach Edey "The best College Big man in the Country" he went 18 points and was on record saying he was boxing out Edey for other to get the boards in that game.

True Big man... quite honestly I'd rather have Mast if he isn't a "True" big man
Don't get me wrong... I think Mast is very good. But he is more of a power forward than a center. He has had some great games and without him we would be in serious trouble. But imagine what we would be like if we had another big man to complement him.

If he isn't hitting from beyond the arc, we as team struggle because we lack that presence inside that truly makes us special.

Remember he has also had games where he has struggled to do much of anything. 5 in a loss to Maryland. 4 in a loss to Rutgers. 4 in a loss to Minnesota.

Again we would be so much more productive with a true Big Man where Mast can play to his strengths as a tweener.

Unless ill or NW have bad nights, fully expect us to lose those games. In addition to being away from home, guys are going to be spent. Wonder if Fred is running light practices this week to try to keep them as fresh as possible for tue final stretch. Maybe we can use ill to see if KT can’t find his rhythm again.

Unless ill or NW have bad nights, fully expect us to lose those games. In addition to being away from home, guys are going to be spent. Wonder if Fred is running light practices this week to try to keep them as fresh as possible for tue final stretch. Maybe we can use ill to see if KT can’t find his rhythm again.
Why was Eli rice in a boot last night? Anyone here know how long he is out?

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
Don't get me wrong... I think Mast is very good. But he is more of a power forward than a center. He has had some great games and without him we would be in serious trouble. But imagine what we would be like if we had another big man to complement him.

If he isn't hitting from beyond the arc, we as team struggle because we lack that presence inside that truly makes us special.

Remember he has also had games where he has struggled to do much of anything. 5 in a loss to Maryland. 4 in a loss to Rutgers. 4 in a loss to Minnesota.

Again we would be so much more productive with a true Big Man where Mast can play to his strengths as a tweener.
Well technically we do (Keita), but he apparently has the same lower extremity genes as Bill Walton, Greg Oden and Sam Bowie. One of the bigger busts of the Hoiberg era, unless he can eventually get on the court.

• Love
Reactions: cavalot

That’s true of many if not most players especially perimeter shooters. You’re just used to the backdrop and sight lines. A former Husker player talked about that on 590 a few weeks ago. One can’t neglect the effect of how the officials call the game from a physicality perspective as well for road teams. Another factor has been that we’ve gotten in desperation mode in a lot of our road games which might cause guys to take shots they maybe wouldn’t have normally. Lots of possible reasons for the variation.

FWIW I think the sight lines in PBA are pretty favorable for shooters. The worst are gyms with large open areas. We used to play Crete in I think Doane’s indoor track area. That was awful. Nothing behind the bucket. The U of SD used to play on a portable floor setup on the Dakota Dome football field.

I was there, we had no fouls called on us in the second half for something like 17 minutes. Then they called 4 on us really quickly in those last 3, a couple were good calls, but two were just flat out bullshit. I've never seen so many fouls called where our guy didn't even touch their guy...and video proves it. What kind of oversight do these refs have?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT