ADVERTISEMENT

Please help me understand regarding scheduling…..

HUSKERBILL

Sophomore
Sep 10, 2001
Why would Nebraska (or anyone in the Big10, SEC, etc) feel the need to schedule anyone with a pulse in the non-conference?

You go 3-0 to start and slide into the Top 25 (or get votes). Then you try to go 6-2 in conf games and get your 9 wins. 3-5 in conf games and you go bowling. Every single year.

I don’t get the benefit of the preseason Florida State game that LSU just lost. They win their division of the SEC and no one is saying “well they didn’t play anyone in the preseason”. And teams with a few conference losses will always get ranked based on record.

Nebraska with a 8-3 record at the end of the season with a preseason loss to Colorado might not be ranked. Replace that Colorado team with University of the Blind and we are 9-2 and ranked higher. Everyone forgets about strength of schedule unless you’re an elite team trying to get into the playoff.

The secret to building a program involves strategic scheduling as a factor.

Play cupcakes in the preseason. KSU with Snyder was a master at the 4-0 start to the season. Wisconsin built their program on the backs of North Dakota and San Jose State in the preseason. It gets them the wins they needed to be ranked and relevant.

Oh yeah one more thing……

Don’t schedule critical conference games to start your season. Warm up with some cupcakes. Nebraska and Clemson……I am looking at you right now.

And if you really want to get good at it, schedule
The Citadel and teams like them in early November so you essentially have a BYE week during your conference run to rest your starters early and start game planning for the big game the following week. Your boys will be healthy and ready to finish strong. Alabama has been doing this for decades.

This stuff isn’t that hard. The recipe is there for everyone to see.

Why would Nebraska (or anyone in the Big10, SEC, etc) feel the need to schedule anyone with a pulse in the non-conference?

You go 3-0 to start and slide into the Top 25 (or get votes). Then you try to go 6-2 in conf games and get your 9 wins. 3-5 in conf games and you go bowling. Every single year.

I don’t get the benefit of the preseason Florida State game that LSU just lost. They win their division of the SEC and no one is saying “well they didn’t play anyone in the preseason”. And teams with a few conference losses will always get ranked based on record.

Nebraska with a 8-3 record at the end of the season with a preseason loss to Colorado might not be ranked. Replace that Colorado team with University of the Blind and we are 9-2 and ranked higher. Everyone forgets about strength of schedule unless you’re an elite team trying to get into the playoff.

Play cupcakes in the preseason. KSU with Snyder was a master at the 4-0 start to the season. Wisconsin built their program on the backs of North Dakota and San Jose State in the preseason. It gets them the wins they needed to be ranked and relevant.

Oh yeah one more thing……

Don’t schedule critical conference games to start your season. Warm up with some cupcakes. Nebraska and Clemson……I am looking at you right now.

The Citadel and teams like them in early November so you essentially have a BYE week during your conference run to rest your starters early and start game planning for the big game the following week. Your boys will be healthy and ready to finish strong. Alabama has been doing this for decades.

I don't think Nebraska has any say in when they play conference games other than when at home?

Oh yeah one more thing……

What is this "preseason" you keep referring to? You may as well get your mind into the current decade of college football and forget about scheduling cupcakes. Have you seen where the B1G is headed? Nebraska will be playing a 10 game conference schedule soon and sure, we'll play a couple of lesser teams every year, but the bottom line is it's likely we will always be opening with a conference game. It's all about eyeballs and money and the conference doesn't see anything sexy about putting Nebraska vs The Citadel on BTN.

Nebraska and Clemson have nothing to do with setting their conference schedules. You should know that already if you've paid any attention to the schedules that Nebraska has had pounded up their butts for years on end.

Expect more conference games during traditional non-conference time slots. The B1G didn't sign one of the most lucrative contracts in sports just to feature game broadcasts competing with one-another at the same time. Conference members are going to have to play ball when it comes to alternate playing times in order to draw more eyes (and ad revenue) to the broadcast partners.

Reactions: king_kong_
Loser talk
Until Oregon, Washington, USC and UCLA get to the Big 10. Not that OU's will be any easier. Home games next year with Tenn and Alabama; on the road with LSU. Making big bucks but losing more. Not sure the AD's know what the fans want.

Oh yeah one more thing……

Cupcakes beat us too. More viewers, more money instead of paying 🧁's to kick our behind and as a fan I want to see good games.

Unfortunately, NU is not good enough to consider many teams “cupcakes”. Remember Georgia Southern? Ball State? “If you want to be the man, you have to beat the man.” Dodging teams and taking the easy way out is gutless.

Oh yeah one more thing……

The same people who don't want nonconference cupcakes don't think twice about NFL preaseason games. Also since 2016 Nebraska has been allowed less than 70% of the practice time most other programs get, so like it or not a few warm up games would be especially good for us.

Loser talk

Bitch talk

Usually one in the same

We play enough cupcakes in the conference
Brother I bleed Husker red. My dad was a 3 year starter for the Huskers. But I’m also a realist. Those “cupcakes” in our conference (specifically the division) you are referring to have been beating us regularly for the last decade.

When they aren’t guaranteed Ws, sadly, we need to find some true bottom feeders. We are a blue blood but we aren’t a winning program right now. Have to start with baby steps IMO.

What is this "preseason" you keep referring to? You may as well get your mind into the current decade of college football and forget about scheduling cupcakes. Have you seen where the B1G is headed? Nebraska will be playing a 10 game conference schedule soon and sure, we'll play a couple of lesser teams every year, but the bottom line is it's likely we will always be opening with a conference game. It's all about eyeballs and money and the conference doesn't see anything sexy about putting Nebraska vs The Citadel on BTN.

Nebraska and Clemson have nothing to do with setting their conference schedules. You should know that already if you've paid any attention to the schedules that Nebraska has had pounded up their butts for years on end.
You know what I mean by “preseason”.

I don’t see the Big 10 going to a 10 game season devoid of OOC games up front. Sure it could generate more revenue due to viewership but those contracts are already signed. At some point the head of the Big 10 needs teams in the Playoffs. That’s where the real money is. Handing all your marquee teams multiple losses because you decided to run them through a 10 game gauntlet will have the SEC winning it every season and our conference getting one team in (or not).

That’s not going to fly with the teams the Big10 serves.

I think the SEC leadership was laughing at us when we added USC/UCLA/etc. We just made it almost impossible to finish a season undefeated. We have more landmines now for our top teams. We almost ensured that the SEC get two teams in every season and we get one at best. Going to be hard to not have two losses when the PAC 10 top talent enters the building.

In another post I said the big 10 is really stupid scheduling conference games week 1 they need to stop it it’s hurting the conference but as long as ohio st and Michigan don’t get hurt they don’t care about the rest
Couldn’t agree more. You think they would have OSU or Michigan play Wisconsin or Penn State in week one?

Cupcakes beat us too. More viewers, more money instead of paying 🧁's to kick our behind and as a fan I want to see good games.
Sadly they have.

I don’t want good games. I want wins and to finally make it to a bowl game. It’s sad but sitting home in bowl season hurts us financially and with all the practices we lose.

We just need to get those 6 wins no matter what. Then look to improve from there

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
we play one top 15 team this year

anyone complaining about the schedule is a huge pussy, plain and simple
You think it is optimal with us starting with a conference foe at their place and then traveling to a rival (now rated in the Top 25) as our first two games?

Or would it have been better for Simms to play No Name State so Rhule could figure out what we can do with Simms and Co.?

I know which one makes sense to me.

You think it is optimal with us starting with a conference foe at their place and then traveling to a rival (now rated in the Top 25) as our first two games?

Or would it have been better for Simms to play No Name State so Rhule could figure out what we can do with Simms and Co.?

I know which one makes sense to me.
do you like being in the B1G and getting paid all this media money?

they make the league schedule, not us

and playing CU is good, not bad

Reactions: leodisflowers
do you like being in the B1G and getting paid all this media money?

they make the league schedule, not us

and playing CU is good, not bad
The media money is great. Best in class. We are in the right conference from a revenue and exposure standpoint.

We certainly have not gotten any help from the conference. They wanted us in but have not done ANYTHING to prop us up. The conference opener against Wisconsin was all the proof we needed there.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

Oh yeah one more thing……

Schedule teams like Troy, northern Illinois. Northwestern at a neutral site.

Couldn’t agree more. You think they would have OSU or Michigan play Wisconsin or Penn State in week one?
That’s the point. Look at the viewership numbers for Neb/NW last year. Look at Neb/Minn and OSU/Indiana numbers from week 1. Those numbers aren’t happening week 4 and later.

It was a rough start. I was informed we don’t get to schedule the game vs Minney, the league does. So complaining is pointless. And our non conference schedule is a joke. I understand your reasoning but we just need to get better as a program instead of trying to schedule our way to a bowl game

It was a rough start. I was informed we don’t get to schedule the game vs Minney, the league does. So complaining is pointless. And our non conference schedule is a joke. I understand your reasoning but we just need to get better as a program instead of trying to schedule our way to a bowl game
Exactly. It was a relatively tough draw for a first year HC but a completely winnable game. And it gave us an extra day of rest for CU. We need to quit blaming other people and handle our own business.

Oh yeah one more thing……

That's iowas strategy.

This could change as realignment changes schedules. Fans aren't excited about 3 cupcakes. Unfortunately cupcakes have given us fits lately

What an embarrassing thread. People are complaining about opening up against Minnesota? Nebraska needs to worry about themselves and getting better more than scheduling. Start winning again and maybe we won't be scheduled with 2 straight road games to start the season.
Yep.

It fits in perfectly with "The BIG sucks. They're holding us down", then we proceed to go out and play an embarrassing brand of football.

Nothing has been in the way of us playing for the conference title most every season we have been here.

Except our own suckage.

Yep.

It fits in perfectly with "The BIG sucks. They're holding us down", then we proceed to go out and play an embarrassing brand of football.

Nothing has been in the way of us playing for the conference title most every season we have been here.

Except our own suckage.
I think it’s both. And it’s okay to acknowledge it. We have hired some embarrassingly bad coaches. That has led to catastrophic results. But the league isn’t doing us any favors.

They will do the same to USC and UCLA. Won’t be an easy path for them. They will use and abuse them to get tv viewers over helping usc win games.

The other thing that sucks about having a crappy OOC schedule is that then you are at the mercy of the Big 10 for good home games. Which matters if you have season tickets. No one wants a home slate where the best games are MSU, Purdue and Iowa.

Reactions: king_kong_
The media money is great. Best in class. We are in the right conference from a revenue and exposure standpoint.

We certainly have not gotten any help from the conference. They wanted us in but have not done ANYTHING to prop us up. The conference opener against Wisconsin was all the proof we needed there.
Wait, now you're complaining about the team's fifth game of the year, against a team that at the outset of the season was ranked below Nebraska, and into which Nebraska was undefeated and ranked in the top 10? What exactly will make you happy, an FCS team, UConn, Vanderbilt, then nothing but Rutgers for 8 weeks before Iowa? Jeez this is pathetic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT