ADVERTISEMENT

OT / Overrated Bands

Nirvana - can’t understand what he is saying, can’t sing a lick and the guitar playing is awful.

Kiss - just bad musicians all the way around. When Michael Bolton starts writing songs for you then you know you suck.

Reactions: blackbones
My list of overrated/douchey bands has not changed in many years:

1) The Beatles
2) U2
3) Pearl Jam

In all three cases, the bands got really full of themselves, thought of themselves as artists, and cranked out some real shit because they thought it was art not music. Can't stand a single song from any of the three.

U2 and Pearl Jam I fully understand, but the Beatles' music is still well-ahead of it's time more than 50 years later. Music would be so vacant without their influence on so many bands. The melodies they came up with are unequalled and probably never will be, IMO.

Nirvana - can’t understand what he is saying, can’t sing a lick and the guitar playing is awful.

Kiss - just bad musicians all the way around. When Michael Bolton starts writing songs for you then you know you suck.

Ace Frehley was a pretty good lead guy, but the rest of the guys were very average musicians. But the Beatles' were pretty average musicians too. It doesn't take great musicians to write great music. It takes a great mind for creating melodies.

Definitely some skilled instrumentalists, terrible lyrics and the way that guy sings is cringey

Dave Matthews' drummer and bass player are waaay talented. I'm sure the lead guy is probably really talented too. DM just writes some really bad songs.

LOL, did Michael Bolton really write some songs for them? That is hilarious!!

i can like about any good song, but bands need to move along...

Kiss
The Grateful Dead
U2
Most of what would be considered 2000’s rock through todays rock (Likin Park, Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Coldplay, etc)

Couldn't agree more on that entire host of post-grunge bands. Can't stand Linkin Park, Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Pinch, Silver Chair, Stone Sour, Bush, Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days Grace, Staind, Alter Bridge, 3 Doors Down, etc.. Just terrible! And even Foo Fighters sorta bother me. Can probably tolerate them more than the other bands I listed though.

Next to 'New Country,' post--runge is the worst thing to ever happen to music, IMO. Yes, even worse than Disco.

Love Led Zep, Dylan, and especially Bowie. To me, Bowie was nearly as influential as The Beatles and Stones.

oh, the talking heads. like 3 songs. other than that, pure sh*t.

Led Zeppelin is a great band IMO. I think it gets hard to deal with the overrated idea when bands are put in the GOAT.

It’s all so damn subjective anyways. If you like blues influenced rocket and roll, amazingly proficient heavy drumming and lots of falsetto then you will like Led Zeppelin.

I think the underrated conversation is a more useful one bc there are so many great bands that never crossed over into mainstream success.

As for my opinion I would agree about U2 and Brian Johnson led AC/DC (I like some Bon Scott fronted stuff.) Green Day? Sure but I generally dislike that Pop Punk genre so that’s low hanging fruit for me personally.

Highly underrated post. If you are a musician and/or singer, you generally love Led Zep, because their chops were so amazing!

And I wholeheartedly agree on Pop Punk. That stuff is rubbish. Minutemen, DKs, Fear, Saccharine Trust, Black Flag, Stooges, The Clash, Buzzcocks, Generation X, Stiff Little Fingers, New York Dolls, Ramones, Sex Pistols. All good stuff!

I agree with many on Nickelback. They are so bad they rip themselves off.

Mine...
#1 Rush
#2 Boston
#3 Grateful Dead

Boston and Grateful Dead I understand, but how can you listen to 2112 and not just sit there in amazement of how accomplished they are as musicians? 2112 through Moving Pictures was a period of amazing craftsmanship, for the music nerd in all of us.

Anybody who says Metallica pre- Black Album is overrated needs to take a timeout and rethink their life.
Is that including the Black album? Because the Black album is great and Load and Reload have a lot of good songs too. Metallica's washed up now compared to what they used to be and even then they're still making better songs than 90% of the stuff out there. For me, And Justice for All and the Black album is Metallica's pinnacle but I like their older stuff and newer songs too.

As a big time Kiss fan I think the "overrated" part has a different meaning. They set out with a very specific game plan in mind, to entertain people. They played smaller towns that no one else went to play, they built up a fan base (that they treat like ATM's but still) that loved the show. They were not trying to create rock-opera or have a political message or make a statement.

They wanted to entertain (their live shows are a blast) and they wanted to make money. I don't need a deep meaning behind music (and I am a Rush fan)

When I go to a concert I don't want to hear the lead singer tell me that XYZ is wrong, I don't want the lead singer to almost seem upset that they are performing for the fans.

I genuinely think that Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons came up with some great melodies and songs. How can anyone listen to Black Diamond and not absolutely love that song? Or Detroit Rock City/King of the Nighttime World? Love that stuff!

1. ACDC
2. The Beatles
3. Kiss
4. Rush: I like their sound, but the singer's voice annoys the crap out of me.

Last edited:
Imo, zeppelin is a bit overrated and the Who is underrated. Dylan totally sucks, so does Bowie.

Oh my...you'll smoke a turd in hell for this comment. :D I feel the complete opposite. I find the Who to be highly overrated and Led Zep, Dylan, and Bowie as some of the best musical artists ever.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
So, what's everyone's take on Herman's Hermits? Or the Dave Clark Five? How about Jefferson Airplane/Starship?

Then there's one band-group that hasn't been mentioned so far, but I'm going to drop that bomb here shortly!

If you went from playing arenas to county/state fairs you sucked major ass and only held on to medioric success, ie. Kansas, Boston, 70's and 80's hair/glam, Steve Miller, bad company ect. Ect.

Hey, I think Grand Funk plays fairs now...and they are amazing!! I would have them on my highly UNDERrated list, as well as ELO. Jeff Lynne wrote some amazing music, and has one of the best voices in rock and roll history.

Reactions: EATAFAT1
The Who is by far and away my favorite band but even they have a lot of crap. Especially 'Who Are You' and 'Sister Disco'.

I can't think of a Beatle's song I don't like.
There were a few on the White Album that were flat out awful, wild honey pie comes to mind along with savoy truffle.

So, what's everyone's take on Herman's Hermits? Or the Dave Clark Five? How about Jefferson Airplane/Starship?

Then there's one band-group that hasn't been mentioned so far, but I'm going to drop that bomb here shortly!

Really like all the Marty Balin slow songs from Jefferson Starship. Otherwise not much of a Starship fan..

Reactions: bmb81664
Overrated
Ozzy
Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer
White zombie
The Doors

Other than Weezer, who has some good songs, and a few Smashing Pumpkins songs, I completely agree. 311 would be very high on my list of bands I can't stand. The Doors and Ozzie wouldn't be far behind. Rob Zombie would be thought of so little that he wouldn't even get a mention.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
Other than Weezer, who has some good songs, and a few Smashing Pumpkins songs, I completely agree. 311 would be very high on my list of bands I can't stand. The Doors and Ozzie wouldn't be far behind. Rob Zombie would be thought of so little that he wouldn't even get a mention.

Yeah Weezer and the Pumpkins were pretty good. Don't understand the hate there..

@JohnRossEwing, you completely nailed the 1st artist that would be on my most Overrated list. And 2nd place hasn't even peaked over the horizon yet. Jimmy Buffett took two shitty songs and created an entire empire by overcharging his mindless trinket buying yuppies $150 for something that probably cost 3 bucks to make.

Yep this man would be the absolute top of my list, and should be at the top of the list of the Top 10 Most Wanted at the post office for criminal activity...of taking a crap on a piece of cardboard and selling it to his hordes of followers for hundreds of dollars.

He is a marketing genius though, which saddens me. So many people are being taken to the cleaners by this guy..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT