ADVERTISEMENT

OT / Overrated Bands

Led Zeppelin is a great band IMO. I think it gets hard to deal with the overrated idea when bands are put in the GOAT.

It’s all so damn subjective anyways. If you like blues influenced rocket and roll, amazingly proficient heavy drumming and lots of falsetto then you will like Led Zeppelin.

I think the underrated conversation is a more useful one bc there are so many great bands that never crossed over into mainstream success.

As for my opinion I would agree about U2 and Brian Johnson led AC/DC (I like some Bon Scott fronted stuff.) Green Day? Sure but I generally dislike that Pop Punk genre so that’s low hanging fruit for me personally.

David Bowie is absolutely not over-rated.

But, and I like that this thread identified it, a lot of these bands are good until they kind of fall off, creatively, or they just recycle their sound over and over.

I love AC/DC. Is it music for stupid people? Yeah. But is it also borderline hilarious and kind of an ass-kicking good time? Sure is.

ZZ Top is kind of amazing as a blues rock band, but that doesn't mean they are something I would want to listen to every day and their output isn't very good after "Eliminator."

If we want to talk about supremely over-rated, I would say we need to talk about those bands that old people (boomers) keep worshiping as if they were GODS. Like The Beatles (not really over-rated, just...nobody is as good as older people would have you believe they were), the Rolling Stones (again, awesome, but not THAT awesome), The Doors (yeesh), Bob Dylan (he's got his moments, but meh), or Led Zepplin.

Get off my lawn!

I'll go ahead and throw Black Sabbath out there. Ozzy was better with the myriad musicians he worked with after they broke up, but somehow his legacy is still tied to an average band with 1 good song.

Grateful dead is just flat out awful.

Can’t see how anyone would say the Beatles are overrated. Doesn’t mean you can’t not like them. If you knew what music was like before the Beatles, you would be astonished how much it changed in just a short time. And their progression of making 14 albums in six years, with almost everyone of them better than the previous one, is truly amazing.

I agree Dylan is a fantastic songwriter but a horrible singer and performer.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Who's aged better: Freddie mercury or Emilio estevez? One still has a career and one is an actor.
iu

Reactions: GretnaShawn

Can’t see how anyone would say the Beatles are overrated. Doesn’t mean you can’t not like them. If you knew what music was like before the Beatles, you would be astonished how much it changed in just a short time. And their progression of making 14 albums in six years, with almost everyone of them better than the previous one, is truly amazing.

The grateful dead is quintessential timeless Americana. For the uninitiated like yourself, you should probably give American Beauty and Workingmans Dead a listen. Timeless music. Absurdly large, loyal and diverse following, played more shows than any American band and wrote more originals than most. I agree the Beatles were revolutionary, however a lot of the material was silly and thrown together. Some gems in there though.

I'll go ahead and throw Black Sabbath out there. Ozzy was better with the myriad musicians he worked with after they broke up, but somehow his legacy is still tied to an average band with 1 good song.

Black Sabbath (with Ozzy) is IMHO one of the most UNDER-rated bands of all time. I appreciate the fact that they didn't stick together very long because there is no way they could have continued to produce their genius material forever. They were meant for the 60s and 70s only.

Eminem
Tupa
Led Zeppelin
Bob Dylan
First two on your list are fine, but how can a band that has a song that's on virtually every Top 10 Greatest Songs list be "overrated"? In fact it's the #1 song on most lists and #2 on many more. Just don't understand how they can be overrated. :rolleyes:

Reactions: leodisflowers
First two on your list are fine, but how can a band that has a song that's on virtually every Top 10 Greatest Songs list be "overrated"? In fact it's the #1 song on most lists and #2 on many more. Just don't understand how they can be overrated. :rolleyes:

If one song were the measure, Don McLean would be on everyone's list of best ever.

Lots of zeppelin hits are old American blues standards with window dressing and edgy soundscapes. Stairway to heavens main theme is derived from Taurus- Spirit. They took the world by storm, but overrated as musicians. Similar model to queen with classical/opera mixed with unique soundscape/ revolutionary guitar effects

They had 12 studio albums between 1962-1970

foo fighters.
they're alright and i like some of their songs, but they're overrated.
the eagles.
don henley must die.
radiohead.
again, they have some interesting cr@p they shet out, but its mostly just junk.

Reactions: blackbones
Metallica and the Beatles both suck fat rod. The Beatles are the absolute worst, imo.

Agreed on the Beatles sucking major ass.. They are in my top 5 over rated bands ever.
Listen, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to say the Beatles sucked is just wrong.

Yep! The Beatles sucked just like the Chicago Bulls in the 90's, and the Yankee's in the 90's, and the 49'rs in the late 80's, or Tiger Woods in the 2000's or even the Huskers in the 90's. :rolleyes:

One good song? Let me guess, Paranoid? That is one of their worst songs. Their first 6 albums are possibly one of the greatest run of albums ever made.

One good song? Let me guess, Paranoid? That is one of their worst songs. Their first 6 albums are possibly one of the greatest run of albums ever made.
Problem with them and most bands is they are 1 trick ponies. If you only write one type of music, and spend your touring trying (and failing) to closely recreate your album versions you grow tired and never get any better. Some people cook 1 or 2 dishes great, doesnt make them a chef.

Geezer Butler wrote all the Sabbath material. Way more than 1 good song. Those are masterpieces, all those early albums, and is what led to all the different variants of metal over the years. There is a reason why Sabbath is in the HOF.

Jam bands like the Dead, Phish, Allman Bros come down to personal preference- you either like them or you don’t. For groups like that, I prefer listening to the live sets much more than studio albums.

Pink Floyd kind of falls into the same bucket- some of their stuff is a little out there, but an album like Dark Side pretty much gives them a permanent pass out of the overrated designation.

Reactions: blackbones
Listen, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but to say the Beatles sucked is just wrong.

Yep! The Beatles sucked just like the Chicago Bulls in the 90's, and the Yankee's in the 90's, and the 49'rs in the late 80's, or Tiger Woods in the 2000's or even the Huskers in the 90's. :rolleyes:

The Who is by far and away my favorite band but even they have a lot of crap. Especially 'Who Are You' and 'Sister Disco'.

I can't think of a Beatle's song I don't like.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
For overrated bands that get a lot of play that I despise are...

#1 KISS
#2 Green Day
#3 Aerosmith

Who you got?..
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awesome cover band (from Russia). Awesome drummer but there is a problem with his apparel.

songs.
about every band mentioned has a few songs worth a listen.
thats about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT