ADVERTISEMENT

OT / Overrated Bands

One good song? Let me guess, Paranoid? That is one of their worst songs. Their first 6 albums are possibly one of the greatest run of albums ever made.
Truth! Are used to think the other way until I listened to all six albums back to back on YouTube. Seriously underrated band.

Reactions: cornhustler
if youre band was all male and you wore makeup, you probably stunk on ice...

If you went from playing arenas to county/state fairs you sucked major ass and only held on to medioric success, ie. Kansas, Boston, 70's and 80's hair/glam, Steve Miller, bad company ect. Ect.

Reactions: blackbones
bon scott ac/dc/ was top shelf, and same with a few brian johnson ones after ward...then they went into a slump...it's hard to stay ontop, if you want to rock and roll

Reactions: huskerfan66
Janis and Bob aren't bands. The dead is still selling out football/baseball stadiums and setting attendance records. And they've been filling them longer than anyone

Can't agree with the Beatles. They seemed to evolve as musicians as opposed to get full of themselves. It was after they broke up as a band when John and Paul got cutesy.
I disagree with the OP on The Beatles as well. Yes they were full of themselves (especially John and Paul) but no band makes it big without ego. The Beatles embodied the 60’s spirit and influenced many bands of the era. They had great influences, had a great sense of melody and harmony, were experimental, had a great producer in George Martin, they were the perfect band for the times.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Pearl Jam has some pretty memorable tracks. Jeremy and Black
Ten was a great album. I'm not a huge fan of the Seattle grunge movement but between pearl jam, STP, and chris Cornell there was a lot of good music that came out in a short period of time. They all fizzled out other than Cornell and Dave Grohl though.

Ten was a great album. I'm not a huge fan of the Seattle grunge movement but between pearl jam, STP, and chris Cornell there was a lot of good music that came out in a short period of time. They all fizzled out other than Cornell and Dave Grohl though.
Eddie Vedder:
Oh I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey, hey, I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, oh, I'm still alive, yeah oh.

Reactions: tpmcg

I should add Alice In Chains to that list. Their first album was really good.

Man, the early 90s was weird for how much change there was in music. Metal and punk went away and became grunge. Country/western went away and became pop-country. The beastie boys/public enemy style rap went away and gangsta rap took over.

Thank God for pavarotti, otherwise we might have lost opera too.

Jam bands like the Dead, Phish, Allman Bros come down to personal preference- you either like them or you don’t. For groups like that, I prefer listening to the live sets much more than studio albums.

Pink Floyd kind of falls into the same bucket- some of their stuff is a little out there, but an album like Dark Side pretty much gives them a permanent pass out of the overrated designation.

Agree, but you don't have Dark Side and the Wall and say they are over rated. Blasphemy!!!

one-hit wonders are the best.
they came, we saw, and then they left.
no more wearing out their welcome.

no one mentioned 'the beach boys'...i mean get outta here already.

Reactions: leodisflowers
a lot of rock bands, dog on nick gelder, hot child in the city...lol
white lion, loverboy, there were some pretty terrible ones in the 80's

The grateful dead is quintessential timeless Americana. For the uninitiated like yourself, you should probably give American Beauty and Workingmans Dead a listen. Timeless music. Absurdly large, loyal and diverse following, played more shows than any American band and wrote more originals than most. I agree the Beatles were revolutionary, however a lot of the material was silly and thrown together. Some gems in there though.

Its funny you mention those two albums specifically, because I agree, they are actually good. They are also, and this is an important point, the most "normal" albums they made, i.e., the least jam-bandy where the songs just go on and on and on. So, good point, but those are very particular cases.

My list of overrated/douchey bands has not changed in many years:

1) The Beatles
2) U2
3) Pearl Jam

In all three cases, the bands got really full of themselves, thought of themselves as artists, and cranked out some real shit because they thought it was art not music. Can't stand a single song from any of the three.
You got a like from me, but Pearl Jam needs to be Numero Uno on that list.

Some people have some good taste in this thread.
Some really really really shitty taste.
Only thing that keeps this thread from being a nightmare is not one person said Hendrix. Good job people.

I should add Alice In Chains to that list. Their first album was really good.

Man, the early 90s was weird for how much change there was in music. Metal and punk went away and became grunge. Country/western went away and became pop-country. The beastie boys/public enemy style rap went away and gangsta rap took over.

Thank God for pavarotti, otherwise we might have lost opera too.
Or thank God for Segovia, otherwise classical guitar might be in the dump or totally mangled by the busy fingers of the flamenco players!;)

Its funny you mention those two albums specifically, because I agree, they are actually good. They are also, and this is an important point, the most "normal" albums they made, i.e., the least jam-bandy where the songs just go on and on and on. So, good point, but those are very particular cases.
The studio cuts dont go on and on. They jammed the songs out extensively at shows for the sake of collective improvisation, to not grow stale on the material and to feed off of the energy on a given night. Mars Hotel is fairly "normal" as well. Europe 72 is a live album with the clarity of a studio album, really good introduction to the concept of collective improvisation over a known progression.

For overrated bands that get a lot of play that I despise are...

#1 KISS
#2 Green Day
#3 Aerosmith

Who you got?..

Green Day sucks, but Kiss and Aerosmith??? That's blasphemy!! Granted, Kiss was only good early, but their 1st album, Dressed to Kill, Hotter Than Hell, and Destroyer were great, IMO.

And 70s music doesn't get much better than Aerosmith "Rocks" and "Toys in the Attic."

The rolling stones

The doors

The Doors I completely agree with. But the Stones have written some of the most amazing songs in the history of music. Gimmee Shelter, Wild Horses, As Tears Go By, Can't Always Get What You Want, Dead Flowers, Beast of Burden, Waiting on a Friend, Angie, etc.. Just phenomenal!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT