ADVERTISEMENT

OT / Overrated Bands

First two on your list are fine, but how can a band that has a song that's on virtually every Top 10 Greatest Songs list be "overrated"? In fact it's the #1 song on most lists and #2 on many more. Just don't understand how they can be overrated. :rolleyes:
Its easiest for something highly rated to be overrated.

Reactions: tpmcg
Boston and Grateful Dead I understand, but how can you listen to 2112 and not just sit there in amazement of how accomplished they are as musicians? 2112 through Moving Pictures was a period of amazing craftsmanship, for the music nerd in all of us.
I don’t deny the superb musicianship of Rush, I just couldn’t get into their music and Geddy Lee’s voice. I kinda felt the same way about Cream. Amazing virtuosos but once again just couldn’t get into their music.

Afterwards, I actually thought I should have put STYX instead of Rush. STYX was just so pompous and pretentious and lame.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Tool probably deserves a mention in this thread.

images

Tool is in the underrated category..

Reactions: HuskerinSFSD
Couldn't agree more on that entire host of post-grunge bands. Can't stand Linkin Park, Nickelback, Avenged Sevenfold, Five Finger Death Pinch, Silver Chair, Stone Sour, Bush, Breaking Benjamin, 3 Days Grace, Staind, Alter Bridge, 3 Doors Down, etc.. Just terrible! And even Foo Fighters sorta bother me. Can probably tolerate them more than the other bands I listed though.

Next to 'New Country,' post--runge is the worst thing to ever happen to music, IMO. Yes, even worse than Disco.

Love Led Zep, Dylan, and especially Bowie. To me, Bowie was nearly as influential as The Beatles and Stones.

Don’t get me started on pop country. It’s such a disappointment country music is in it current form. There is so much good non-radio played country music that people just don’t hear because they aren’t on major labels. Turnpike Troubadours, Chris Knight, Charlie and Bruce Robison, Whitey Morgan.

Even a little older stuff like Robert Earl Keen, The Great Divide and Reckless Kelly are relatively unknown and should be regarded as classics.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Don’t get me started on pop country. It’s such a disappointment country music is in it current form. There is so much good non-radio played country music that people just don’t hear because they aren’t on major labels. Turnpike Troubadours, Chris Knight, Charlie and Bruce Robison, Whitey Morgan.

Even a little older stuff like Robert Earl Keen, The Great Divide and Reckless Kelly are relatively unknown and should be regarded as classics.

I was going to see Robert Earlier Keen at The Waiting Room, I believe it was, and had something going on. You would probably like American Aquarium, and I'm sure you like Jason Isbell, Justin Townes Earle, and John Hiatt. I heard a good band recently called Ruby Boots.

Will always be a pretty big fan of the Jayhawks and Wilco. Like older Wilco better though, when Jay Bennett was with them. Tift Merritt and Neko Case are also favorites. Alejandro Escovedo, The Derailers, and Lydia Loveless are also really good. Derailers are like Buck Owens (Bakersfield) country. And of course you can never go wrong with Lucinda Williams and Gram Parsons. Oh, and of course, Son Volt, and even though he has had some bad press recently, Ryan Adams is still one of the best song writers in the Americana genre. Whiskeytown (his old band) is always worth a listen too.

Last edited:
Reactions: GretnaShawn
@JohnRossEwing, you completely nailed the 1st artist that would be on my most Overrated list. And 2nd place hasn't even peaked over the horizon yet. Jimmy Buffett took two shitty songs and created an entire empire by overcharging his mindless trinket buying yuppies $150 for something that probably cost 3 bucks to make.

Yep this man would be the absolute top of my list, and should be at the top of the list of the Top 10 Most Wanted at the post office for criminal activity...of taking a crap on a piece of cardboard and selling it to his hordes of followers for hundreds of dollars.

He is a marketing genius though, which saddens me. So many people are being taken to the cleaners by this guy..
Jimmy basically owns Key West! Ha...he is unreal!

they had a couple good songs...

I really like Tool up through the Aenima album. After that their music got way overproduced IMO. Also got a bit too “metaphysical, holier than thou” in message but Maynard went that way as a person so I get it.

Danny Carey is a fun drummer to watch live. I try not to hold it against him that he’s from Lawrence, Kansas

I couldn't stand them at the time, but now that album in particular is pretty darn good.

Funny. That is exactly how I feel. I think it was the choice of the singles. I still hate both Today and Disarm. But Cherub Rock, Silverf***, Geek USA, etc... lot of good tracks on that album. Rocket in particular is now one of my favorite rock and roll songs from that era.

I really like James Iha’s guitar work on that album. Pretty unique at the time.

I really like Tool up through the Aenima album. After that their music got way overproduced IMO. Also got a bit too “metaphysical, holier than thou” in message but Maynard went that way as a person so I get it.

Danny Carey is a fun drummer to watch live. I try not to hold it against him that he’s from Lawrence, Kansas

Stinkfist is still one of my favorite songs, but for all that is holy I don't understand why they decided that 5 minute long intros made for good music. I was excited for their album release this summer but it just wasn't worth the anticipation.

Funny. That is exactly how I feel. I think it was the choice of the singles. I still hate both Today and Disarm. But Cherub Rock, Silverf***, Geek USA, etc... lot of good tracks on that album. Rocket in particular is now one of my favorite rock and roll songs from that era.

I really like James Iha’s guitar work on that album. Pretty unique at the time.

How do you not like Disarm? Maybe it's because I like orchestra but I love that song. Really well done IMO

For overrated bands that get a lot of play that I despise are...

#1 KISS
#2 Green Day
#3 Aerosmith

Who you got?..

KISS I agree is overrated and was always more of a circus show. Green Day maybe, but not Aerosmith. I look at the body of work and just about every rapper is overrated when you consider how few hits any of them actually ever have. Also I look at whether they are writing their own music or just rehashing someone else's hit song (Marilyn Manson) with a glam look. Singers and bands of today are a big step down from the best bands of the 60s-90s. Too much of today's music is truly manufactured with a Disney pop-star singer. It's just a joke to compare Beyonce or Nickelback to the Beatles or Rolling Stones or even Metallica.

Grateful dead is just flat out awful.

Can’t see how anyone would say the Beatles are overrated. Doesn’t mean you can’t not like them. If you knew what music was like before the Beatles, you would be astonished how much it changed in just a short time. And their progression of making 14 albums in six years, with almost everyone of them better than the previous one, is truly amazing.

I agree Dylan is a fantastic songwriter but a horrible singer and performer.

Agree 100%. Dylan should have just stuck to songwriting and let others like Jimi Hendricks perform his songs (Along the Watchtower). Grateful Dead and Phish are both really drugged-out music that is hard to listen to beyond maybe one or two songs (Touch of Grey). The Beatles deserve all the accolades - endless hits over a decade. Not every one is great, but the range of styles and obvious talent of the group is undeniable.

Reactions: nwualum
Stinkfist is still one of my favorite songs, but for all that is holy I don't understand why they decided that 5 minute long intros made for good music. I was excited for their album release this summer but it just wasn't worth the anticipation.

Their lead singer and creative driving force is a pretentious A-hole. He does have a really nice voice for a “metal” band frontman though

How do you not like Disarm? Maybe it's because I like orchestra but I love that song. Really well done IMO

Just way too melodramatic for me personally. Hate is too strong of a word. I choose not to listen to it when listening to songs off of that album though.

I take it that you agree that Today is a bit annoying?

Reactions: Crazyhole
I am not sure if I have ever seen Rush in an "overrated" category. They really have limited commercial success especially in comparison to most of the bands listed so far. The music they play is essentially girl repellant. They really don't do much in terms of annoying people with their views.

They only time I really see anything about them is if some tragedy has hit the band or when people mention how amazing they are as song writers and musicians, which I think most people agree they are.

If anything they might be underrated in some ways.

I think one band I sort of feel bad for is Queensryche. I feel like they should have been much bigger BUT I always felt that people thought they were a Pink Floyd ripoff band.

Oh, what about The Cure! If you grew up in the 80's...that band was THE BAND for depressed high school girls!

KISS I agree is overrated and was always more of a circus show. Green Day maybe, but not Aerosmith. I look at the body of work and just about every rapper is overrated when you consider how few hits any of them actually ever have. Also I look at whether they are writing their own music or just rehashing someone else's hit song (Marilyn Manson) with a glam look. Singers and bands of today are a big step down from the best bands of the 60s-90s. Too much of today's music is truly manufactured with a Disney pop-star singer. It's just a joke to compare Beyonce or Nickelback to the Beatles or Rolling Stones or even Metallica.

You do have a point about the amount of hits for Aerosmith making them (technically) not overrated... I've just never heard an Aerosmith song I can tolerate making them in my top 3.

I am not sure if I have ever seen Rush in an "overrated" category. They really have limited commercial success especially in comparison to most of the bands listed so far. The music they play is essentially girl repellant. They really don't do much in terms of annoying people with their views.

They only time I really see anything about them is if some tragedy has hit the band or when people mention how amazing they are as song writers and musicians, which I think most people agree they are.

If anything they might be underrated in some ways.

I think one band I sort of feel bad for is Queensryche. I feel like they should have been much bigger BUT I always felt that people thought they were a Pink Floyd ripoff band.

Oh, what about The Cure! If you grew up in the 80's...that band was THE BAND for depressed high school girls!

It took me years to tolerate Teddy Lee on vocals for Rush... Instrumentally they are underrated but most people hate Lee's vocals...

You do have a point about the amount of hits for Aerosmith making them (technically) not overrated... I've just never heard an Aerosmith song I can tolerate making them in my top 3.
Aerosmith also totally changed their sound. I mean, Dream On was so different from their later stuff.

Reactions: blackbones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT