ADVERTISEMENT

OT / Overrated Bands

Many of these bands were just overplayed on the airwaves. That said, I never really cared for KISS. Aerosmith, though talented, kind of bugs me for some reason as does Van Hagar.

Reactions: blackbones
As a big time Kiss fan I think the "overrated" part has a different meaning. They set out with a very specific game plan in mind, to entertain people. They played smaller towns that no one else went to play, they built up a fan base (that they treat like ATM's but still) that loved the show. They were not trying to create rock-opera or have a political message or make a statement.

They wanted to entertain (their live shows are a blast) and they wanted to make money. I don't need a deep meaning behind music (and I am a Rush fan)

When I go to a concert I don't want to hear the lead singer tell me that XYZ is wrong, I don't want the lead singer to almost seem upset that they are performing for the fans.

As a big time Kiss fan I think the "overrated" part has a different meaning. They set out with a very specific game plan in mind, to entertain people. They played smaller towns that no one else went to play, they built up a fan base (that they treat like ATM's but still) that loved the show. They were not trying to create rock-opera or have a political message or make a statement.

They wanted to entertain (their live shows are a blast) and they wanted to make money. I don't need a deep meaning behind music (and I am a Rush fan)

When I go to a concert I don't want to hear the lead singer tell me that XYZ is wrong, I don't want the lead singer to almost seem upset that they are performing for the fans.

I've heard their live shows are great to see but the music is torture to my ears..

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Anybody who says Metallica pre- Black Album is overrated needs to take a timeout and rethink their life.

youre-goddamn-right-14369672.png

For me, it’s when a band gets too popular where they appeal to a mass audience. AC/DC was great through Back in Black, Metallica was great to the Black album, Aerosmith was until the 80’s and Dude Looks Like a Lady, KISS was until the late 70’s and grade schoolers started attending their concerts, and so on. As soon as the band gets popular and soccer moms are singing along to the songs, then it’s over for me.

Imo, zeppelin is a bit overrated and the Who is underrated. Dylan totally sucks, so does Bowie.
The crazy thing about Bowie and Jagger..like...they started to bang each other (allegedly)...think how bored they got of banging hot models that they turned to each other! Blows my mind.

My list of overrated/douchey bands has not changed in many years:

1) The Beatles
2) U2
3) Pearl Jam

In all three cases, the bands got really full of themselves, thought of themselves as artists, and cranked out some real shit because they thought it was art not music. Can't stand a single song from any of the three.

1) The Beatles
2) U2
3) Pearl Jam

In all three cases, the bands got really full of themselves, thought of themselves as artists, and cranked out some real shit because they thought it was art not music. Can't stand a single song from any of the three.

Except for Ringo! That dude has had a charmed life and doesn't seem like a doosher.

Now this always cracks me up

https://www.theonion.com/the-edge-still-introducing-self-as-such-1819567752

1) The Beatles
2) U2
3) Pearl Jam

Can't agree with the Beatles. They seemed to evolve as musicians as opposed to get full of themselves. It was after they broke up as a band when John and Paul got cutesy.

Zep has some good songs but for the amount of albums they have it should be more so a little over rated imo.. Bowie is baaaaad

Agreed. Never get tired of Immigrant Song, so I give them more credit for that one song than I probably should, but there are probably only 3 or 4 others that I listen to when they come on the radio.

David Bowie is absolutely not over-rated.

But, and I like that this thread identified it, a lot of these bands are good until they kind of fall off, creatively, or they just recycle their sound over and over.

I love AC/DC. Is it music for stupid people? Yeah. But is it also borderline hilarious and kind of an ass-kicking good time? Sure is.

ZZ Top is kind of amazing as a blues rock band, but that doesn't mean they are something I would want to listen to every day and their output isn't very good after "Eliminator."

If we want to talk about supremely over-rated, I would say we need to talk about those bands that old people (boomers) keep worshiping as if they were GODS. Like The Beatles (not really over-rated, just...nobody is as good as older people would have you believe they were), the Rolling Stones (again, awesome, but not THAT awesome), The Doors (yeesh), Bob Dylan (he's got his moments, but meh), or Led Zepplin.

Reactions: blackbones
ADVERTISEMENT