ADVERTISEMENT

Only two ways to go from here.

bleed husker red

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
The team either doubles down and works hard to improve, or they pack it in and play the blame game.

I would say the team pshychy is really fragile right now. And the next bad thing that happens in a game may start the avalanche.

Reactions: jeans15
The team either doubles down and works hard to improve, or they pack it in and play the blame game.

I would say the team pshychy is really fragile right now. And the next bad thing that happens in a game may start the avalanche.

And not much the staff can do if they as a group decide to pack it in.I would hope they have more pride in them selves and trying to get better.

Yep...happened to my college basketball team. We loss confidence in the coaches and went 7-22.

And not much the staff can do if they as a group decide to pack it in.I would hope they have more pride in them selves and trying to get better.
I believe the players have pride in themselves, but seriously doubt they totally trust each other. Do you really think the offense trusts TA to make a 'smart' decision with the game on the line?

Or that their chosen captain won't make an ass of himself. We may be playing a lot of youngsters really soon

Are the injuries real, or kids that wont play through it because they have not bought in
I have no idea, but you have to question it now

If a player "packs it in" - I would hope they sit him. If I coached and a player or players quit, I would go down the roster until I found someone who would give all. Especially true if I had a senior captain saying we suck, and blowing kisses to our fans, many of which traveled long distances to support them. That's just me.

Reactions: StrongArm517
It`s hard to tell if we circle the wagons or phone it in. We lost to Illinois one of the worst teams in college ball. Let that soak in for awhile.
If Illinois can beat us so can every team remaining on the schedule.

If they don't at a minimum pull the C off of Lewis's jersey then i will lose my last bastion of hope that somewhere deep down there is still some of the old husker pride that i grew to love

This to me is actually a very big concern and I don't think this is one of Mike's strengths.

It's easier to contrast what I mean with Bo. Bo was a straight shooter. Guys knew where they stood, and would play hard for Bo. Bo could motivate the team.

With Mike, you get a bit more of a CEO/politician type of thing. Remember the laughing and what not that was reported in the staff meeting as they discussed certain players? That kind of stuff doesn't inspire much confidence from a players' perspective. Does Riley motivate the team? He seems standoffish about that, mentioning it is the team that is doing the motivating.

Mike may be a nice guy and all, but some of that, I start to think is just window dressing.

I don't get the sense that he is real close to this team, and maybe that is part of the problem of what we are seeing.

I don't see how that causes the clock management and play calling issues, but it could undermine the performance of the team as a whole.

It`s hard to tell if we circle the wagons or phone it in. We lost to Illinois one of the worst teams in college ball. Let that soak in for awhile.

I said that yesterday. We are the worst team in our division, without a doubt.

The captains (with the possible exception of Lewis) now need to get the troops together and have a team meeting without any of the coaches present. They need to address team unity and team pride. There is a lot of football left to be played. They as a team will decide (on the field) how the rest of this season plays out.

The captains (with the possible exception of Lewis) now need to get the troops together and have a team meeting without any of the coaches present. They need to address team unity and team pride. There is a lot of football left to be played. They as a team will decide (on the field) how the rest of this season plays out.
A lot of football to be played for sure, but the season is already trash. 3 losses already and at minimum another 2 to follow. The MSU game is gonna be a woodshed beating.

"Yep...happened to my college basketball team. We loss confidence in the coaches and went 7-22."
I bet you all just sucked. lmao

This to me is actually a very big concern and I don't think this is one of Mike's strengths.

It's easier to contrast what I mean with Bo. Bo was a straight shooter. Guys knew where they stood, and would play hard for Bo. Bo could motivate the team.

With Mike, you get a bit more of a CEO/politician type of thing. Remember the laughing and what not that was reported in the staff meeting as they discussed certain players? That kind of stuff doesn't inspire much confidence from a players' perspective. Does Riley motivate the team? He seems standoffish about that, mentioning it is the team that is doing the motivating.

Mike may be a nice guy and all, but some of that, I start to think is just window dressing.

I don't get the sense that he is real close to this team, and maybe that is part of the problem of what we are seeing.

I don't see how that causes the clock management and play calling issues, but it could undermine the performance of the team as a whole.
Play hard for bo? When

Doesn't really matter at this point. We'll just keep doing what we're doing, the players will play football, the fans will keep showing up, the program keeps making $, coaches get paid, and it's all good.

A lot of football to be played for sure, but the season is already trash. 3 losses already and at minimum another 2 to follow. The MSU game is gonna be a woodshed beating.

I don't believe that the season is already trash. We lost to a team that is not very good yesterday in lousy weather conditions by trying to pass the ball. Pretty much everyone who has commented here has said the same thing. We should have been running the ball instead of tossing long bombs downfield that had little chance of being completed in lousy weather conditions. Our OC needs to take weather conditions into account and call plays that have a greater probability of success. If we do that and get healthier on D, we can beat every team that we play with the probable exception of MSU.

I don't believe that the season is already trash. We lost to a team that is not very good yesterday in lousy weather conditions by trying to pass the ball. Pretty much everyone who has commented here has said the same thing. We should have been running the ball instead of tossing long bombs downfield that had little chance of being completed in lousy weather conditions. Our OC needs to take weather conditions into account and call plays that have a greater probability of success. If we do that and get healthier on D, we can beat every team that we play with the probable exception of MSU.
Agree. But our OC was on the sidelines (unless something has changed from the start of the year) and couldn't figure out the weather was having an impact. Maybe his jacket and gloves were too good...

Yep...happened to my college basketball team. We loss confidence in the coaches and went 7-22.

Where/when did you play if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to guess that was the early/mid 90s?

Seriously not trying to start anything, got a son who I'm hoping could possibly play in college at a lower level if he works hard enough. Always like talking hoops with guys who played in college.

Looks to me like you are advocating the "vote with your wallets" plan. Even if you aren't you shouldn't have to resign yourself to the fact that our fans are passionate. That is probably one of the final advantages our program has intact from its glory days.

I'm not advocating anything at this point. I just know we're on the wrong train track, the program leadership knows this, and isn't doing what it takes to make a difference.

I'm not advocating anything at this point. I just know we're on the wrong train track, the program leadership knows this, and isn't doing what it takes to make a difference.
I misunderstood then. I wholly disagree that the administration KNOWS we're on the wrong track because at this ridiculously early stage it's tough to know that. All I know right now is that I have cause for concern. To each his own.

If they don't at a minimum pull the C off of Lewis's jersey then i will lose my last bastion of hope that somewhere deep down there is still some of the old husker pride that i grew to love
I really wish that pride still existed, I do, but I think its dead. Its a tough time to be a Husker fan.

You sound not so positive, were you less than 48 hours ago supporting Riley like crazy?
Based on what? Nebraska has lost to 2 average teams and one HORRIBLE team. Illinois is awful. The reason they lost is because they have an incompetent coaching staff.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this, but some Nebraska fans can not.lol They will give him another 6 years and then be the first ones complaining why he was aloud to stay so long and he should have been fired years ago. lol

Based on what? Nebraska has lost to 2 average teams and one HORRIBLE team. Illinois is awful. The reason they lost is because they have an incompetent coaching staff.

I am basing this on the coaching staff getting their act together and on players coming back from injuries on D and adding a healthy DPE to the offense.

"Yep...happened to my college basketball team. We loss confidence in the coaches and went 7-22."
I bet you all just sucked. lmao

We went 18-12 the next season with a 1st year coach. With 4 of the starting 5 returning. With one being drafted at #12 and led the nation in scoring and rebounding and was the SWC player of the year.

Because of the coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT