ADVERTISEMENT

Trying to think of something positive

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
I guess the only thing I can think of, is that this is the least talented Husker team I've seen offensively and we only lost by 3, on the road, first game of the year.

The hard part is knowing we should have won and I don't see areas that we can make big strides to improve. Two of the INT's were very basic reads. If you're not seeing that at this point in your career I don't think it's going to happen. Rhule is going to have to scrap a lot of his offense and rely on option football.

Where were the TE's?

How do you keep a team motivated that has to be thinking: "Here we go again"?

How does Rhule get that magic year 2 if he has zero momentum going into next year? This is looking like another 3 win season, maybe. He's going to need a new QB, all new WR's, etc...the guys we got ain't gonna work...

I was already skeptical of a guy that never beat a ranked team...but now I'm scratching my head at how he could misevaluate Sims so badly. How does that give fans any confidence he knows how to rebuild?

Defensive secondary was pretty solid. Tackling was pretty solid. Return game looked solid. Hard to tell overall how good the defense was because Minnesota looked pretty awful offensively. Was it 100% because of Nebraska?

Defensive secondary was pretty solid. Tackling was pretty solid. Return game looked solid. Hard to tell overall how good the defense was because Minnesota looked pretty awful offensively. Was it 100% because of Nebraska?
I would also add that our special teams looked great. Awesome kick return when we needed it and I don’t think they really made it past the 20. Punt and punt coverage were awesome. Did have a roughing kicker and Kemps first punt return decision was a little suspect but overall - very solid special teams.

Not the start we all hoped for but I will save my judgement until the end of the season. Minnesota was favored to win after all so it was a near upset.

There were some positives…Defense looked better and the team definitely looked/played physical. Negatives…same silly false start penalties by offensive line and way too many turnovers. Can’t win games when that happens.

2 of 3 phases are pretty damn solid.

But that offense is gonna make things hard. Sims isn't gonna change, and he's all we got there.

Reactions: BleedRed78
While we did shit the bed in several ways, o e thing I saw was a lot of guys getting playing time. Playing more guys builds experience and depth, which we really haven’t seen in years.
I did like to see that. Also, keeps guys happier and less likely to leave.

Sorry, I don’t see any positives to be honest. The only thing I hang my hat on is after we go 0, 1, 2 or 3 and whatever, Rhule does his magic and turns it around season 2 and 3. We are going nowhere this year with this offense and this pathetic QB and our incredibly boneheaded personnel choices in key game moments.

To me there were a lot of positives on defense. We played a ton of players and the freshman seemed to hold their own. I'm not mad at the defense at all. Just have to get some O going. Not going to jump off the cliff yet.

Yes, the defense played great. What I mean though is that we aren't going to improve on that. We held them to 13 points after 4 turnovers. The #1 scoring defense last year averaged 12.8 points

It's unrealistic to expect to hold teams to single digits...we need to score points.

Yes, the defense played great. What I mean though is that we aren't going to improve on that. We held them to 13 points after 4 turnovers. The #1 scoring defense last year averaged 12.8 points

It's unrealistic to expect to hold teams to single digits...we need to score points.
Correct. If the offense doesn't **** up, Minny scores 3 points last night. That was good D. Sucks that we had a few breakdowns, but a dude makes an all world grab on 4-10 right after a dropped pick. Just sucks and needs something good to happen.

Correct. If the offense doesn't **** up, Minny scores 3 points last night. That was good D. Sucks that we had a few breakdowns, but a dude makes an all world grab on 4-10 right after a dropped pick. Just sucks and needs something good to happen.

Not only 4th and 10, but they got away with a false start that was fairly obvious (left tackle)

we are the first B1G team pj fleck has beaten 6 times

there is nothing positive to glean

When a thread title is "trying to think of something positive". True meaning is season is over. Over before September 1st..... Sheesh

Reactions: king_kong_
Nothing positive? Nothing at all?? Man, you guys need to take a breath.

Special teams looked much, much improved. We had dudes that we have barely heard of make plays on special teams (Gybor). We had a kick return for 60 yards. When is the last time that happened?

Defense played well. We lost one of our best players (Robinson) in the second half and the drop off was minimal. We stopped a very physical running team. When’s the last time we got into a punch it out game and looked like the more physical team (at least on defense)?

Offense stunk, no doubt. Minnesota has a good defense. Offense will hopefully look better against everyone else (outside of Michigan and Iowa).

Stupid penalties and turnovers killed is, again. Time management needs a lot of work.

But guys, there are some positives. Take a breath. Sober up. It’s not all bad.

Special teams looked much, much improved. We had dudes that we have barely heard of make plays on special teams (Gybor). We had a kick return for 60 yards. When is the last time that happened?

Defense played well. We lost one of our best players (Robinson) in the second half and the drop off was minimal. We stopped a very physical running team. When’s the last time we got into a punch it out game and looked like the more physical team (at least on defense)?

Offense stunk, no doubt. Minnesota has a good defense. Offense will hopefully look better against everyone else (outside of Michigan and Iowa).

Stupid penalties and turnovers killed is, again. Time management needs a lot of work.

I’ll add even though some of the play calling was questionable the coaches played to win. the offensive line is still a work in progress but has improved. I like the defense except for lack of a pass rush but Minnesota contributed to that by tackling our defensive players

This type of thinking is why 85000 people go to a stadium to watch a team that has not even had a winning record in 5 years. NU is currently pre Snyder Kstate bad nothing has changed. You can point out all the positives you want but once again they have put a losing team out on the field

The turnovers and penalties we're something I thought we would see less of. I thought coaching would be top shelf as well. We all know you can't win games beating yourselves so it doesn't matter to me what the positives are. We should be able to fix stupid , but when ? What year ?

This type of thinking is why 85000 people go to a stadium to watch a team that has not even had a winning record in 5 years. NU is currently pre Snyder Kstate bad nothing has changed. You can point out all the positives you want but once again they have put a losing team out on the field
So maybe you should switch to being a kst fan

So maybe you should switch to being a kst fan
Here we go speak reality and this is the response. I have been a husker my whole life but honestly it is not fun watching them anymore. It borders on some type of weird obsession. I decided to jump back aboard this year as I thought Ruhle would be different after this game I see no reason to trust he is. Hopefully I am proven wrong in the future as I prefer to be a husker fan. For now however I think I will count myself a UW fan as I live in Seattle and they are now joining big10. I hate pac10 football.

Say what you will but this program is shedding fans very quickly

• Haha
Here we go speak reality and this is the response. I have been a husker my whole life but honestly it is not fun watching them anymore. It borders on some type of weird obsession. I decided to jump back aboard this year as I thought Ruhle would be different after this game I see no reason to trust he is. Hopefully I am proven wrong in the future as I prefer to be a husker fan. For now however I think I will count myself a UW fan as I live in Seattle and they are now joining big10. I hate pac10 football.

How old are you?

I’m not saying I’m happy with the loss. Or that there are not some red flags out there. I am just flabbergasted that people saying that they can’t find a single positive thing from the game. When there clearly are some positive things. Isolate special teams, it was clearly and obviously better than what we’ve seen in years. It’s disingenuous to say there are no positives at all.

I’m not saying I’m happy with the loss. Or that there are not some red flags out there. I am just flabbergasted that people saying that they can’t find a single positive thing from the game. When there clearly are some positive things. Isolate special teams, it was clearly and obviously better than what we’ve seen in years. It’s disingenuous to say there are no positives at all.
But that can be said every year. The biggest disappointment I have are soul sucking mistakes, false starts inside the 5, fumble when game is on the line. These have become the hallmark of the Nebraska program and nothing has changed. I could take a loss to a more talented team. I can accept mistakes happen. But with Nu these mistakes happen at the most crucial times and happen time and time again.

NU will not have a winning season until this changes

But that can be said every year. The biggest disappointment I have are soul sucking mistakes, false starts inside the 5, fumble when game is on the line. These have become the hallmark of the Nebraska program and nothing has changed. I could take a loss to a more talented team. I can accept mistakes happen. But with Nu these mistakes happen at the most crucial times and happen time and time again.

NU will not have a winning season until this changes
This is one game under the new coaching staff, I’m still say 6-6 and a bowl game. I didn’t expect miracles and going 10-2

This is one game under the new coaching staff, I’m still say 6-6 and a bowl game. I didn’t expect miracles and going 10-2
Very true and I hope you are right. I don’t believe they reach 4 wins this year and get beat by CU( which since sanders turned over his entire team) would be the ultimate embarrassment

• Haha
Here’s a positive: Rhule is great at the press conferences.
No BS, no attitude

Reactions: Baxter48
Probably older than you
61, I remember sooner magic unexpected losses to Missouri and Iowa st the going for two against Miami in the 84 orange bowl. Back then I couldn’t sleep at night from a disappointing loss. Fast forward go 1998 and Frank getting promoted to head coach it’s been a roller coaster every since. People clamor for Bo he lost close games And was blown out. yes I’m disappointed but I’m not ready to jump off the cliff. I’m giving Rhule three years to turn it around. Hell frost got 4+ years and never sniffed a winning season.

Older than you and have lost faith in this program. I thought Ruhle with his track record would better than what the coaching showed. It may be this program needs to completely blow up the roster and start over to cure these late in the game meltdowns

Bye!

Older than you and have lost faith in this program. I thought Ruhle with his track record would better than what the coaching showed. It may be this program needs to completely blow up the roster and start over to cure these late in the game meltdowns
Do you recall what Rhule did at temple and Baylor? It took him 3 years and just because a lot of us believe we have talent I believe were not especially The offensive line and quarterback receivers but is that Rhules fault? This is what he inherited and I don’t believe in gutting the team like sanders did in colorado but we might go youth movement if a bowl game is out of reach

61, I remember sooner magic unexpected losses to Missouri and Iowa st the going for two against Miami in the 84 orange bowl. Back then I couldn’t sleep at night from a disappointing loss. Fast forward go 1998 and Frank getting promoted to head coach it’s been a roller coaster every since. People clamor for Bo he lost close games And was blown out. yes I’m disappointed but I’m not ready to jump off the cliff. I’m giving Rhule three years to turn it around. Hell frost got 4+ years and never sniffed a winning season.
Another long suffering Husker fan here! It's our turn to win now!

Hey, at least we are still in a conference. Who'd thought the mighty Pac 8, 10, 12 conference would blow up leaving the Beavers and Cougars on their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT