ADVERTISEMENT

My overall observations from N Illinois game.

huskerfan66

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Dec 8, 2004
Couldn't really find a good thread to add this so bear with me for starting new thread.

First of all, in my 5 decades of attending NU football games, this was one of if not the most deflated pregame (outside the stadium and around Lincoln in general) atmospheres I've been a part of.

As they say, most popular player is the back up qb, stadium was pretty ecstatic when haarberg was announced as starting qb during pregame when the public address announcer gave lineups for both teams.

Haarberg has a ton of heart and seemed to manage the game well and made reads in running game pretty well. Missed a few wide open receivers and threw a few into double and triple coverage. On the radio show on the way home a caller referred to him as the next brook berringer. Other than size comparison, that's not even close...yet. Haarberg's throwing motion mechanics are somewhat cringeworthy.

Running backs-- Grant appears to have the best legs in space. NONE of them hit the hole hard and dance and cut too many times. Hit the whole hard and probably gain 2 more yards easily.

TE's-- Need to use them more in seam or skinny post routes.

WR's--- slow. Gonna have a hard time beating anyone deep imo. Hopefully people play zone and we can find open areas. Receivers held blocks well at times downfield...good job. We tend to run routes 2-3 yards short of the line to make. Is this because of good zone defense and taking what they give us or because line can't pass block long enough for the receivers to get to where they need to be on a consistent basis?

Line---Frustrating. Why we don't just line up and go helmet on helmet is beyond me. We have the most successful drives and eat clock when we do this. A lot of whiffs and maybe this is why backs are dancing too much. Don't trust the linemen and aren't sure where the hole will be. On big red reaction and lockerroom show they were bragging up the line play. I'm not in that camp.

P/K---Buschini was a good 15 yards better in pregame warm-ups. He dropped one nice one inside the 5 but other than that I was very disappointed. FG kicking in pregame was a little sketchy. They didn't have pads and jerseys on so I couldn't see who was who.

Play calling/execution-- first play we had to waste timeout that cost us....by the way where was "every play is reviewed " we wasted a timeout in 2nd qtr. Rhule should have kept that timeout. Thought there was some plays that should have been reviewed especially the int and northern Illinois completed pass late 4th qtr that lead to TD.
Wasn't a fan of the reverse call in the first half deep in our territory. We were using a lot of play action so huskies were having to stay home. Wasn't the place or time for that call imo.

Overall on offense this grade may seem harsh but I am at c+ to b-.

Defense-- solid game for the most part. Soooo much better than a year ago in tackling and effort. Good communication out there. Line and linebacker play the best I've seen in years. I know it was late in the game, but if you get a chance to rewatch, Buckley was impressive. He was a beast. DL coach doing well and we've got depth there.

Grade b+ to A- just because I'm not sure how good huskies were.

Much needed win. This Saturday was a head scratcher in many ways in college football and that's not surprising at this point in the season.

Amazing what can happen when you limit turnovers and don't continually shoot yourself in the foot. A little concerned with the unsportsmanlike conduct calls every week. Refs watch tape and they remember that and anticipate it. I realize this team is frustrated but can't do stupid stuff.

Stadium--full. Tweaked a few things from last year. Light show and drones seemed to be a huge hit with the crowd. Watched many of the recruits walk by outside of east stadium. For some reason didn't see baker. Said a few words to Pyle. He seemed excited to be here and is all N.

Sorry for the length of this. Maybe you saw what I saw and maybe totally opposite than me. The good news is I have found positives each week. Bad news is we've got a LONG way to go until we can even sniff being playoff caliber.

GBR

Couldn't really find a good thread to add this so bear with me for starting new thread.

First of all, in my 5 decades of attending NU football games, this was one of if not the most deflated pregame (outside the stadium and around Lincoln in general) atmospheres I've been a part of.

As they say, most popular player is the back up qb, stadium was pretty ecstatic when haarberg was announced as starting qb during pregame when the public address announcer gave lineups for both teams.

Haarberg has a ton of heart and seemed to manage the game well and made reads in running game pretty well. Missed a few wide open receivers and threw a few into double and triple coverage. On the radio show on the way home a caller referred to him as the next brook berringer. Other than size comparison, that's not even close...yet. Haarberg's throwing motion mechanics are somewhat cringeworthy.

Running backs-- Grant appears to have the best legs in space. NONE of them hit the hole hard and dance and cut too many times. Hit the whole hard and probably gain 2 more yards easily.

WR's--- slow. Gonna have a hard time beating anyone deep imo. Hopefully people play zone and we can find open areas. Receivers held blocks well at times downfield...good job. We tend to run routes 2-3 yards short of the line to make. Is this because of good zone defense and taking what they give us or because line can't pass block long enough for the receivers to get to where they need to be on a consistent basis?

Line---Frustrating. Why we don't just line up and go helmet on helmet is beyond me. We have the most successful drives and eat clock when we do this. A lot of whiffs and maybe this is why backs are dancing too much. Don't trust the linemen and aren't sure where the hole will be. On big red reaction and lockerroom show they were bragging up the line play. I'm not in that camp.

P/K---Buschini was a good 15 yards better in pregame warm-ups. He dropped one nice one inside the 5 but other than that I was very disappointed. FG kicking in pregame was a little sketchy. They didn't have pads and jerseys on so I couldn't see who was who.

Play calling/execution-- first play we had to waste timeout that cost us....by the way where was "every play is reviewed " we wasted a timeout in 2nd qtr. Rhule should have kept that timeout. Thought there was some plays that should have been reviewed especially the int and northern Illinois completed pass late 4th qtr that lead to TD.
Wasn't a fan of the reverse call in the first half deep in our territory. We were using a lot of play action so huskies were having to stay home. Wasn't the place or time for that call imo.

Defense-- solid game for the most part. Soooo much better than a year ago in tackling and effort. Good communication out there. Line and linebacker play the best I've seen in years. I know it was late in the game, but if you get a chance to rewatch, Buckley was impressive. He was a beast. DL coach doing well and we've got depth there.

Much needed win. This Saturday was a head scratcher in many ways in college football and that's not surprising at this point in the season.

Amazing what can happen when you limit turnovers and don't continually shoot yourself in the foot. A little concerned with the unsportsmanlike conduct calls every week. Refs watch tape and they remember that and anticipate it. I realize this team is frustrated but can't do stupid stuff.

Stadium--full. Tweaked a few things from last year. Light show and drones seemed to be a huge hit with the crowd. Watched many of the recruits walk by outside of east stadium. For some reason didn't see baker. Said a few words to Pyle. He seemed excited to be here and is all N.

Sorry for the length of this. Maybe you saw what I saw and maybe totally opposite than me. The good news is I have found positives each week. Bad news is we've got a LONG way to go until we can even sniff being playoff caliber.

GBR
Only beef I have is with the RBs hitting the hole comments. There has to be a hole to hit or you’re just running in to your o linemen’s backs. Grant did a great job of finding an opening to make those 1-2 yard gains 5-6. Very happy with our RBs so far. Grant clearly is more explosive.

Only beef I have is with the RBs hitting the hole comments. There has to be a hole to hit or you’re just running in to your o linemen’s backs. Grant did a great job of finding an opening to make those 1-2 yard gains 5-6. Very happy with our RBs so far. Grant clearly is more explosive.
I agree. Here's my thoughts. I saw last year and so far this year, we can block effectively if we go straight forward hat on hat. There were lanes there last night from my vantage point but they tried to bounce/dance and then dance again. Hit, cut and go. I'll take 3 to 4 every play rather than-1 to +7

Sorry but our fvkin OC sucks donkey effing balls. What’s fvking loser.
No wonder SCar wanted him gone.
Who draws up so many plays with totally unblocked DL? I think I saw maybe 10 plays like that yesterday and the unblocked guy destroyed the play on half of them.
The route combinations suck. The routes by TEs mostly suck.
And Rayola can fookin take a hike because the OL isn’t good.

I know we ended up with 35 points but our offensive scheme is not great.

I do like the defense

GBR
All this seems pretty valid .
I did see Buckley out there, but didn’t notice him flash, so that is VERY promising if he can do good for us. We need a big body like him who can contribute.

The passing game/schemes is a little cringeworthy to me, seems there’s so much to do better there.

Grant is doing way better this year running north-south. I thought he was auditioning for Dancing with the Stars at times last year.

We need a new infusion on the offensive line where the younger players start out performing the vets and than will see better line play…

Verdict is still out on Raiola as a line coach I’m afraid..
o-line is leagues better than last years. Last year they started F-- and ended D-. This year they are like C- maybe they can get to b-?

It is funny though expectations for the O-Line are always super high. Back in 2010 people complained about the O-Line but now people look back and tell me that those O-Lines were good?

All this seems pretty valid .
I did see Buckley out there, but didn’t notice him flash, so that is VERY promising if he can do good for us. We need a big body like him who can contribute.

The passing game/schemes is a little cringeworthy to me, seems there’s so much to do better there.
we should bring whipple out of retirement and have him draw up some pass concepts for us. I hated his play calling but man no one could draw up better pass plays than him.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Who draws up so many plays with totally unblocked DL? I think I saw maybe 10 plays like that yesterday and the unblocked guy destroyed the play on half of them.

I do like the defense
Dont be sorry.

o-line is leagues better than last years. Last year they started F-- and ended D-. This year they are like C- maybe they can get to b-?

It is funny though expectations for the O-Line are always super high. Back in 2010 people complained about the O-Line but now people look back and tell me that those O-Lines were good?

They did produce almost 300 yards per game rushing at times.

Against good teams.

This reminded me of early Pelini games. QB a lot like a Pelini QB with a fast defense. Limited offense but enough to beat outmatched teams without mistakes.

I just hope the offense finds a positive identity this season. Think that needs to start with being able to stretch the field some to create room to run. Uoung receivers need to catch up and get out there for that to happen imo.

GBR
Funny you say that, the bars before the game were sort of dead as well
We decided to hit up O street, sort of old school type of thing.

It wasn't dead but it was not packed at all.

Barry's looked busy but we did not stop there and the tailgating, I have a friend with a spot in front of the stadium right be that new athletic complex and it was okay.

Now, the start time MIGHT have had something to do with it but who knows.

It was still a blast!

Reactions: Sigrun K sker
Funny you say that, the bars before the game were sort of dead as well
We decided to hit up O street, sort of old school type of thing.

It wasn't dead but it was not packed at all.

Barry's looked busy but we did not stop there and the tailgating, I have a friend with a spot in front of the stadium right be that new athletic complex and it was okay.

Now, the start time MIGHT have had something to do with it but who knows.

It was still a blast!
Third quarter intermission was GREAT!!! Very cool

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
This reminded me of early Pelini games. QB a lot like a Pelini QB with a fast defense. Limited offense but enough to beat outmatched teams without mistakes.

I just hope the offense finds a positive identity this season. Think that needs to start with being able to stretch the field some to create room to run. Uoung receivers need to catch up and get out there for that to happen imo.
Ironically while I realize that we want to be more traditional (we are going to eventually not have athletes first qbs second under Rhule) for this year and maybe next year I think we should basically run the Taylor/Armstrong offense of 2010-2014. Lots of Zone reads, a few option plays, give the wr some option routes. Zone-read being the core play that everything comes off of.

GBR
As per your last paragraph, Rhule realizes too.

Reactions: Truewooper
One thing I noticed from yesterday is that we had 0 self inflicted mistakes before contact. No false starts, no offsides and no high snaps or dropping center snaps. As the TV announcer said, “it’s a low bar, just don’t turn the ball over 4 times”

At least Rhule had the courage to make a change and start Haarberg. Haarberg should be the starter from this day forward.
We’ll see

I agree it takes a huge amount of guts to admit your failures and try something new

If HH starts over a fully healthy Sims I will be incredibly encouraged by our head man and the culture he’s building

We’ll see

I agree it takes a huge amount of guts to admit your failures and try something new

If HH starts over a fully healthy Sims I will be incredibly encouraged by our head man and the culture he’s building
Is it crazy if I'm cool with hh starting then putting sims in for Michigan then the pirate 🦜 for the rest of the season lol.

We’ll see

I agree. However now that Rhule has seen the difference, I expect him to start Haarberg going forward. Anything less that that is failure.

Reactions: king_kong_

I do like the defense

not a fan of the running game so far this year.. regardless of which QB is in, that becomes the most dangerous runner. Grant can be ok, but I don't feel good about any of our running backs to be honest.. it is def impacted by the poor line play and some of the questionable playcalling.

Defense has been a nice surprise. I want to see how we stack up to Michigan before I start really piling on the praise, but so far, we have been really good on stopping the run game.

Reactions: moralvictories
not a fan of the running game so far this year.. regardless of which QB is in, that becomes the most dangerous runner. Grant can be ok, but I don't feel good about any of our running backs to be honest.. it is def impacted by the poor line play and some of the questionable playcalling.

Defense has been a nice surprise. I want to see how we stack up to Michigan before I start really piling on the praise, but so far, we have been really good on stopping the run game.
......how about how we stack up against Illinois?

It wasn't electric, somewhat subdued. But there was some opening day excitement. The Wisconsin game last year was the most deflated I've experienced - by far.
If they didn't hit the "hole" hard, it was often because there was no hole.

Except for the three pass play series in the 4th Q of the Minnesota game, I see the playcalling as a low priority for me to get spun up about. It is remarkable how the offense went from horrible to not too bad in a matter of a week. And we all know what the difference was. If the players can execute, minimalize mistakes, block, run hard, and catch catchable balls, our offensive plans would have looked much better. I I thought Satterfield called a good game Saturday.

You expected the town to be on fire for yet another 0-2 team, playing a backup QB, against Northern Illinois? Just be happy we still have people show up to games. No other team in the country would have that luxury.

Reactions: leodisflowers
You expected the town to be on fire for yet another 0-2 team, playing a backup QB, against Northern Illinois? Just be happy we still have people show up to games. No other team in the country would have that luxury.
Agreed. My parents went to the game and still had a great time and said the environment was pretty good. The hit a few tailgates and the Haymarket and said it was still a fun time and seemed pretty normal. I guess at the end of the day they didn't notice a difference and go to about 4-5 games a year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT