ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if a lot of the CU hate I see here is because deep down they're worried their AD made a better choice?

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
I know that Colorado is a historical rival. I've never had a hate for them, although I think their fans are up there with Wisconsin and Missouri as some of the worst.

The Colorado AD had a dumpster fire on his hands with his football team. He made a choice to gamble a little bit.

However, his investment is a paltry $30M over 5 years. So if the gamble doesn't pay off its pretty easy to get out of. Already, the decision has brought a lot of national media attention and exposure to the program.

Compare this to the choice Alberts made. He's guaranteeing $74M for a coach that hasn't brought much national media attention or excitement to the program. Watching game 1, you could even argue that the team has taken a step back since how it finished the season against Iowa.

Regardless how the game against TCU ends up, it's hard to look at the athletes on the field and them going toe-to-toe with a ranked team and say, "good thing we don't have that here". Momentum breeds success.

How possible is it next week we lose against a coach with almost 2/5 the salary we are paying?

Remember, Sanders inherited a program in far worse shape than ours was. This was a Colorado team that got beat 49-7 by Minnesota. Yet, if they surpass Rhule in year 1 what does that say for Albert's decision? Are Husker fans willing to play "the long game" and wait for that "magical year 3" that may not even occur if we can't generate any excitement to recruit with?

I know that Colorado is a historical rival. I've never had a hate for them, although I think their fans are up there with Wisconsin and Missouri as some of the worst.

The Colorado AD had a dumpster fire on his hands with his football team. He made a choice to gamble a little bit.

However, his investment is a paltry $30M over 5 years. So if the gamble doesn't pay off its pretty easy to get out of. Already, the decision has brought a lot of national media attention and exposure to the program.

Compare this to the choice Alberts made. He's guaranteeing $74M for a coach that hasn't brought much national media attention or excitement to the program. Watching game 1, you could even argue that the team has taken a step back since how it finished the season against Iowa.

Regardless how the game against TCU ends up, it's hard to look at the athletes on the field and them going toe-to-toe with a ranked team and say, "good thing we don't have that here". Momentum breeds success.

How possible is it next week we lose against a coach with almost 2/5 the salary we are paying?

Remember, Sanders inherited a program in far worse shape than ours was. This was a Colorado team that got beat 49-7 by Minnesota. Yet, if they surpass Rhule in year 1 what does that say for Albert's decision? Are Husker fans willing to play "the long game" and wait for that "magical year 3" that may not even occur if we can't generate any excitement to recruit with?
Remember Jim McElwain?
Too soon to know.

You are trying to figure out why Husker fans hate a team that is maybe our most hated historical rival? Sanders likes attention. He films his doctors appointments for gods sake. So I'm not really sure media attention is relevant.

What an odd post.

Rhule has never recruited elite talent. He’s been successful a couple times in Not the Big 10 or SEC. I’m sorry, but his Baylor and Temple teams wouldn’t have been successful at this level. The ‘develop some 3-star talent’ formula is gonna fail here, epically.

Money Buys Talent. NU’ NIL initiative needs to achieve A LOT more. Exponentially more. Standard deviations more. This is all Math, at the end of the day.

Rhule has never recruited elite talent. He’s been successful a couple times in Not the Big 10 or SEC. I’m sorry, but his Baylor and Temple teams wouldn’t have been successful at this level. The ‘develop some 3-star talent’ formula is gonna fail here, epically.

Money Buys Talent. NU’ NIL initiative needs to achieve A LOT more. Exponentially more. Standard deviations more. This is all Math, at the end of the day.
And 4/5 star talent doesn't automatically work either.
Nebraska and Texas bear that out.

Reactions: herbie tarlek
And 4/5 star talent doesn't automatically work either.
Nebraska and Texas bear that out.
Texas has borne that out… but wait a few. They’re the wealthiest school in the Nation. Bet my HOUSE they’re top 10 in the next couple years. Manning will make them a playoff appearance all my himself.

We’re a mostly 3-star team. Look at the Top-10 teams every year. They’re top 10 recruiting. Every time. Talent > Coaching, HERE. Maybe not the ACC or Big12 so much, but we’re HERE. We need to buy better athletes to compete in the Big10, and it’s MOSTLY just that simple.

Think you are confused about our recruiting level……
I’m confused as to why many on here act so excited about our current class… we have, what 5-6 4-stars? Texas is and will stay top5. They have Triple the elite talent we have. Any fans here wanna play Texas in the next couple years? Nope…

Texas has borne that out… but wait a few. They’re the wealthiest school in the Nation. Bet my HOUSE they’re top 10 in the next couple years. Manning will make them a playoff appearance all my himself.

We’re a mostly 3-star team. Look at the Top-10 teams every year. They’re top 10 recruiting. Every time. Talent > Coaching, HERE. Maybe not the ACC or Big12 so much, but we’re HERE. We need to buy better athletes to compete in the Big10, and it’s MOSTLY just that simple.
And then you have schools like KSU/TCU who outperform a lot of the top recruiting schools.
Miami, FSU, A&M, USC among others recruit very well and fall on their face.

Good coaching/development is the priority. Then get the playmakers you are missing.

I think Talent in the pros is much more important.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15

I don't recall cu doling out tons of NIL cash, a lot of their transfers came because of Sanders.

Reactions: Landomatic

Texas was 8-5 last year, hardly anything to get excited about with all that talent.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Good lord. Just stop it. This is the huskers board. As a Nebraska fan I hate Colorado. I didn't like Dion at every point on his career. I wish failure upon him whether he plays Nebraska or not. I'm not going to root for him. I'm not going to root for the Big 12. I'm going to root against Colorado and like it.

Good lord. Just stop it. This is the huskers board. As a Nebraska fan I hate Colorado. I didn't like Dion at every point on his career. I wish failure upon him whether he plays Nebraska or not. I'm not going to root for him. I'm not going to root for the Big 12. I'm going to root against Colorado and like it.

I got no problem with rooting against CU. What I found strange were the almost gleeful posts predicting a dumpster fire while blissfully ignoring that the real dumpster fire was Thursday night. Our team took a step backwards from how the team performed against Iowa and that is squarely on Rhule.

I got no problem with rooting against CU. What I found strange were the almost gleeful posts predicting a dumpster fire while blissfully ignoring that the real dumpster fire was Thursday night. Our team took a step backwards from how the team performed against Iowa and that is squarely on Rhule.
Ok now this is a little dramatic. And nobody is ignoring what happened Thursday. Can you not read?

Put a sock in it..

We hired a coach with a history of having a terrible first season.

He hired an offensive coordinator that has never had a running game and our goal is to run the ball.

He brought in a QB with a long history of turning the ball over and ran off a good qb.

Instead of hiring high school coaches as analysts like everyone else, he gave them actual coaching positions.

He hired a line coach with little coaching experience and a history of lineman with missed assignments and dumb mental mistakes despite being talented.

The pattern of outcome has always been that we were likely in for a long first year, that the offense will lack creativity and be poor at rushing, our qb is going to turn it over a lot, and the line is going to miss assignments and get stupid penalties at critical times.

But being Nebraska fans, we expected all of that to change and we would go against the grain.

I'm not jealous of Deon for a coach, if anything more bummed that we passed on Fickell. Deon had players he brought with him that had a great game when there wasn't a lot of film out there to plan. And the core is not having to learn a new system. And the defense is still porus as heck and is going to give up a massive amount of points. Over the long haul it balances out.

But to your point, he did hire good coaches with a smaller budget. Look at O'Boyle for instance. He led Chadron State to several playoff seasons and their line already looked better than ours has in years and he is paid less than Riola. Satterfield is making $1.4 million.

Satterfield was lucky to have a job and nobody would have paid him within $500k of that. It shows in his coaching hires where he probably couldn't attract top assistants.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
northtexashusker, Sattifield left South Carolina as offensive coordinator and took Rhule offer to be Nebraska O coord..

We were not a dumpster fire on Thursday night. Good Lord. I saw a lot of positives from that game. I'm not going to rehash this whole thing over and over to you negative people that can't see that this is a total rebuild. I don't care if you jump off the bandwagon. I'm going to be here when you need a hand to get back on. Good luck with the next 5 years!

We were not a dumpster fire on Thursday night. Good Lord. I saw a lot of positives from that game. I'm not going to rehash this whole thing over and over to you negative people that can't see that this is a total rebuild. I don't care if you jump off the bandwagon. I'm going to be here when you need a hand to get back on. Good luck with the next 5 years!

Ok good point, dumpster fire is a bit overdramatic. I also did see some good things. My point is that one one rebuild is showing immediate improvement while the other looks no different or even possibly a bit worse than the previous season.

We hired a coach with a history of having a terrible first season.

He hired an offensive coordinator that has never had a running game and our goal is to run the ball.

He brought in a QB with a long history of turning the ball over and ran off a good qb.

Instead of hiring high school coaches as analysts like everyone else, he gave them actual coaching positions.

He hired a line coach with little coaching experience and a history of lineman with missed assignments and dumb mental mistakes despite being talented.

The pattern of outcome has always been that we were likely in for a long first year, that the offense will lack creativity and be poor at rushing, our qb is going to turn it over a lot, and the line is going to miss assignments and get stupid penalties at critical times.

But being Nebraska fans, we expected all of that to change and we would go against the grain.

I'm not jealous of Deon for a coach, if anything more bummed that we passed on Fickell. Deon had players he brought with him that had a great game when there wasn't a lot of film out there to plan. And the core is not having to learn a new system. And the defense is still porus as heck and is going to give up a massive amount of points. Over the long haul it balances out.

But to your point, he did hire good coaches with a smaller budget. Look at O'Boyle for instance. He led Chadron State to several playoff seasons and their line already looked better than ours has in years and he is paid less than Riola. Satterfield is making $1.4 million.

Satterfield was lucky to have a job and nobody would have paid him within $500k of that. It shows in his coaching hires where he probably couldn't attract top assistants.
Satterfield made $900,000 last year at South Carolina.

Ok good point, dumpster fire is a bit overdramatic. I also did see some good things. My point is that one one rebuild is showing immediate improvement while the other looks no different or even possibly a bit worse than the previous season.
Dion brought with him experienced skill players. Coach Rhule is the man. He's going to get the best out of what we got until we can get better. He's building a foundation. You can see that. Everything he does is the way it should be done. Those that want to win right away well, you can include me as one of them. I'm just realistic. I believe we will get better and better. Day by day...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT