ADVERTISEMENT

We just lost to a better team

Yes, and their QB was much better than ours. Again ... my point. Their wide receivers are also better than ours. Again ... my point. They have better offensive talent than we do by far.
That offensive talent didn't do jack without being handed the ball in easy situations and going against a gassed defense.

We might have the worst starting qb in CFB. If we had the 60th best qb we probably run away with that game. I don't understand what Rhule saw in Sims.

Let's face it. The better team won today and won convincingly. They just have better athletes than we do and that is a credit to Sanders for using his name and fame to bring in top tier talent. Matt Rhule does not have the same name or fame and was unable to do the same. We hired a developmental coach and not a splash hire. Perhaps in the age of the portal and NIL it is not wise to hire a developmental guy. Time will tell.

We will be hard pressed to win three games this year with the talent we have on offense. So buckle up guys because it is going to be another really long and sad season. We just do not have the talent on offense to compete. And it is not just the QB, although he is not a good QB at all.

This year is not the year for judging Rhule, although some of his decisions are fair game for criticism. Keeping Sims in the game today seems like a brain dead decision to me. But we hired a developmental coach and that is what we need to be patient about. This experiment will show its true results in three years or so. I know, I know, we have been saying that for years now. But hey, it is what we are stuck with. No way we fire Rhule after two games. No way he gets fired even if he loses every game this year.

Rhule is here to rebuild the program over time. Therefore, for me, the key will be to see how well this next recruiting class measures up. Rhule's first one was not bad at all. Top 25. So as much as we hate to lose this year it is just what it is. We have zero talent on offense to speak of. No real playmakers and an average offensive line. We can piss and moan all we want about Rhule, but we are stuck with him. And two games is not a good judge of how he will turn out.

Here is to next year....
Well written and brutally honest. Sometimes, you are what you are in life.

Pretty pathetic that a 1 win team last year is already better than us. Rhule got cucked.

Reactions: c3o
Let's face it. The better team won today and won convincingly. They just have better athletes than we do and that is a credit to Sanders for using his name and fame to bring in top tier talent. Matt Rhule does not have the same name or fame and was unable to do the same. We hired a developmental coach and not a splash hire. Perhaps in the age of the portal and NIL it is not wise to hire a developmental guy. Time will tell.

We will be hard pressed to win three games this year with the talent we have on offense. So buckle up guys because it is going to be another really long and sad season. We just do not have the talent on offense to compete. And it is not just the QB, although he is not a good QB at all.

This year is not the year for judging Rhule, although some of his decisions are fair game for criticism. Keeping Sims in the game today seems like a brain dead decision to me. But we hired a developmental coach and that is what we need to be patient about. This experiment will show its true results in three years or so. I know, I know, we have been saying that for years now. But hey, it is what we are stuck with. No way we fire Rhule after two games. No way he gets fired even if he loses every game this year.

Rhule is here to rebuild the program over time. Therefore, for me, the key will be to see how well this next recruiting class measures up. Rhule's first one was not bad at all. Top 25. So as much as we hate to lose this year it is just what it is. We have zero talent on offense to speak of. No real playmakers and an average offensive line. We can piss and moan all we want about Rhule, but we are stuck with him. And two games is not a good judge of how he will turn out.

Here is to next year....
I don't disagree with what you are saying irt the approach Rhule is taking, compared to the approach Sanders took.

The problem is, Rhule may not have the time....or they ability....or the possibility to even do that. College Football has changed dramatically. Recruiting-wise, sh!t like this is a backbreaker. We not only don't have the talent, we are not coached very well. Simms is the worst qb I may have ever seen at NU, but the line is possibly even worse that last year. Never mind poor footwork on pass pro (especially at T) we can't even pull correctly. The entire offense is disjointed and a mess. On top of that, we have zero talent at WR.

If you are going to hire the staff you did, that is supposed to be all about recruiting, I guess. That's great to start to build those relationships, but it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you look like they have looked thus far. There was not one point in that game where NU looked disciplined. There's not even anything to build on. Kids now are not going to go somewhere to "build something". They are going to places like Colorado.

Rhule better embrace the f-ing system in place irt the landscape of college football. He just made it harder to do that for himself.

That offensive talent didn't do jack without being handed the ball in easy situations and going against a gassed defense.

We might have the worst starting qb in CFB. If we had the 60th best qb we probably run away with that game. I don't understand what Rhule saw in Sims.
So you are saying that our QB was worse than theirs right? Kind of my point.

Couldn't disagree more. Even a competent qb for Nebraska today and this game may have been over by half. Honestly believe the D kind of quit in the second half. Will be interesting to see what happens the next couple weeks.
This - the turnovers prevented us from running like we wanted to, in an effort to slow down the game. Once we got behind we were hosed. The TO’s changed it all and it wasn’t because their defense was good - it was because our QB is horrible. 3 of the four were mental mistakes that basic football IQ would have prevented

Reactions: RedMyMind
I don't disagree with what you are saying irt the approach Rhule is taking, compared to the approach Sanders took.

The problem is, Rhule may not have the time....or they ability....or the possibility to even do that. College Football has changed dramatically. Recruiting-wise, sh!t like this is a backbreaker. We not only don't have the talent, we are not coached very well. Simms is the worst qb I may have ever seen at NU, but the line is possibly even worse that last year. Never mind poor footwork on pass pro (especially at T) we can't even pull correctly. The entire offense is disjointed and a mess. On top of that, we have zero talent at WR.

If you are going to hire the staff you did, that is supposed to be all about recruiting, I guess. That's great to start to build those relationships, but it doesn't do you a damn bit of good if you look like they have looked thus far. There was not one point in that game where NU looked disciplined. There's not even anything to build on. Kids now are not going to go somewhere to "build something". They are going to places like Colorado.

Rhule better embrace the f-ing system in place irt the landscape of college football. He just made it harder to do that for himself.
I do not disagree with this. Which is why I asked the question of whether or not it is wise in the current landscape of college football to go with an "old school developmental" kind of coach rather than one who will aggressively hit the transfer portal and actually have the recruiting chops to convince top notch guys to come here. But Rhule is who we got. And so far it does not look like his staff knows how to coach offense. Worst NU offense I have seen since at least 2009 but probably even worse than that.

This - the turnovers prevented us from running like we wanted to, in an effort to slow down the game. Once we got behind we were hosed. The TO’s changed it all and it wasn’t because their defense was good - it was because our QB is horrible. 3 of the four were mental mistakes that basic football IQ would have prevented
We had turnovers because we have a QB who is awful. CU had a better QB. And they won. Going away. Because they had a better talent at QB and wide receiver than we do.

Our OC is terrible too. He has lost my faith. I saw the improvement Busch made last year with the D and White this year. You can tell good coordinators. They don't shit the bed repeatedly against mediocre teams and repeat the same mistakes.

Here is to next year....

Not giving up on Rhule. But if you bring in a transfer QB you better be 100% damn certain he’s better than the guy you have. Colossal swing and miss, and that’s on Rhule no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: HuskerDana
You guys want to believe in miracles, and that's fine, but the last time Nebraska showed up for a big game was Missouri 2010. We've lost, and sometimes in embarrassing fashion, literally every other meaningful game since then. There is absolutely zero reason to think anything will be different. Colorado is on a roll and may win their conference, we are in the "3 years away from being 3 years away" zone. We made a huge mistake with this hire and it's going to cost the program, university, and state dearly.
Colorado is not winning the Pac lol.
Ever thought that maybe we cannot get all of the talent, regardless of how much we covet it? I can name a minimum of 25 schools that are a more attractive destination. That’s at a very minimum.
Which is why we should have rowed the ****ing boat
Yes, it sucked…but I’m not bailing on a coach who has a proven track record of building programs after the 2nd game of his tenure
We should have kept the bum on Carolina's payroll.

Just now checked the score—did not watch the game. Was thinking we’d lose by 3 touchdowns based only on what I saw last week with both teams. Looking at the betting line before the game, I thought there was something I was missing and we’d actually have a chance. So….not unexpected but a big disappointment nonetheless. Obviously, Rhule has to recruit some football players but that is a very tall order in Lincoln, NE.

Last edited:
Sims has some talent but turnovers were critical. Thought Thompson had another year of eligibility. Did he transfer?

I never claimed that CU was a great team or that they are world beaters. They will get beaten by the first really complete team they face this year that can play both offense and defense. I think they are in for a rude awakening. But there is no questioning that Sanders has brought in some pretty elite offensive talent. And there is not question that we did not do that and it showed today. And so I repeat. We got beat today by a better team. Our defense played great but got gassed because our offense was awful. And it is awful because it lacks talent. And over the course of the game CU's superior offensive talent to ours won the day. The better team won.
Take his son out at quarterback and Colorado sucks

Reactions: BrighteRed24
You know, your last sentence is well
Worth noting. Really no point to get upset over this, 75% of teams beat Nebraska. The ones that don’t just make too many uncharacteristic mistakes, like Iowa last year.
We have average talent, then we have turnovers and penalties....how do you ever win ?

Reactions: kevingne
We had turnovers because we have a QB who is awful. CU had a better QB. And they won. Going away. Because they had a better talent at QB and wide receiver than we do.
The biggest thing is we were convinced that with better coaches the offensive line would be a improvement. They are bad especially the left side. Also believe uncle Donnie needs a new job

Here is to next year....
Nope

I do not disagree with this. Which is why I asked the question of whether or not it is wise in the current landscape of college football to go with an "old school developmental" kind of coach rather than one who will aggressively hit the transfer portal and actually have the recruiting chops to convince top notch guys to come here. But Rhule is who we got. And so far it does not look like his staff knows how to coach offense. Worst NU offense I have seen since at least 2009 but probably even worse than that.
I was okay with Rhule hire. I was apprehensive with everyone Rhule hired. I thought Rhule would have embraced what college football is now. Imo, he didn't. He won't succeed if he doesn't completely reevaluate his entire staff at the end of the season.

When you are in a complete rebuild, college football is much more like college bb now.

For F sakes, at least look well coached and disciplined. Thus far, this is a bigger sh@tshow than a Frost coached team. I didn't even think that was possible.

Last edited:
It’s just a failure everywhere. I think the defense gave up hope. 2 games in and the team looks as clueless as last year. Colorado will get beat. Their OL is terrible . Wait till they play teams who don’t soil themselves and gas their own defense
They out dueled TCU and beat a pathetic Nebraska, I'm still not worshiping Sanders.

Reactions: c3o
We spotted them 20 with our QB giving them a short field then the refs spotted them 7 by not calling roughing on our punter. Congratulations to CU for struggling against a team that has a high school offense. Can't wait til they play Oregon then USC back to back
Announcers gave not one mention of our punter getting clocked

• Angry
Reactions: dinglefritz
I haven’t given up completely on this year. It isn’t going to be what I hoped but there are changes we can make to maybe get us to 6 wins still.
Tell us all what they are. The coaches are obviously idiots, maybe just tell them so everyone knows. I guess you did say "maybe" so there is an out.

Tell us all what they are. The coaches are obviously idiots, maybe just tell them so everyone knows. I guess you did say "maybe" so there is an out.
Taking care of the ball beats Minnesota. MAYBE Haarberg or Purdy can take care of the ball. Unfortunately I won’t be surprised if Sims starts next Saturday☹️

The biggest thing is we were convinced that with better coaches the offensive line would be a improvement. They are bad especially the left side. Also believe uncle Donnie needs a new job
I never read that. Anyhow it was the same talent coming back. I believe my eyes not what someone says.

OL performance again looked bad, but got covered up by Sims being worse.
Our scheme looks stupid unless you have a dominant OL.
The inability to run normal passing plays is NOT OK at this level (again, unless you have an OL to be run dominant team). We look immensely uncomfortable on pass plays. Can’t hit anyone in stride for run and catch. Can’t spread out a D that gave up over 40 a week ago.
The inability to just line up and run a play, including catching snaps or not false starting is soooo far below amateur level.
We have an offense comprised of 4th 5th year players mostly. No excuses.
Staff get paid way too much to take that experience level and not have them ready to run simple plays.

Defense looks pretty good, despite too many busts or soft coverage issues. But when your leaders like Ty get away with throwing a guy around for no reason (after coming off suspension mind you), it emphasizes the point that we have a losing mentality. Zero focus on what it takes to win. 3 offsides penalties? And our best defender is a true freshman (Lenhardt)?

You are an idiot, they weren't very good. Our offense is just that pathetic from our staff to our players. Our defense played well when it mattered. Colorado is so over hyped, they are NOT good.
2 -0 . They look good and I bet they end up with a winning record. I'd take it.

Not giving up on Rhule. But if you bring in a transfer QB you better be 100% damn certain he’s better than the guy you have. Colossal swing and miss, and that’s on Rhule no matter how you slice it.
We had no idea if CT was going to play any more football because of his shoulder injury. Rhule HAD to find somebody. He watched ALL of Smothers’, HH’s and Purdy’s practice and game video before he went after Sims.

The inability to run normal passing plays is NOT OK at this level (again, unless you have an OL to be run dominant team). We look immensely uncomfortable on pass plays. Can’t hit anyone in stride for run and catch. Can’t spread out a D that gave up over 40 a week ago.
The inability to just line up and run a play, including catching snaps or not false starting is soooo far below amateur level.
Staff get paid way too much to take that experience level and not have them ready to run simple plays.

Defense looks pretty good, despite too many busts or soft coverage issues. But when your leaders like Ty get away with throwing a guy around for no reason (after coming off suspension mind you), it emphasizes the point that we have a losing mentality. Zero focus on what it takes to win. 3 offsides penalties? And our best defender is a true freshman (Lenhardt)?
Your last sentence is all you need to see . Fact is the talent isn't good , hasn't been. How is this a surprise to anyone ?

Reactions: HominidHusker

This is probably the most well written summary of where NU is at. Robinson doing what he did is a perfect example of where we are at as a program. This has turned into a.... "you thought a Frost staff was sh!tty? Hold my beer" moment.

Reactions: HominidHusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT