ADVERTISEMENT

Surprised in Good and Bad Ways

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
The good: 1) Obviously the defense. I don't know if the defense is really that good or Minnesota lacks offensive playmakers. I think both. But it was impressive knowing the offense was a turnover machine and couldn't sustain drives. 2) The OL looks better overall. It's hard to be worse but overall they looked better than in previous seasons. 3) The running game. Minnesota has a decent run defense and NU was able to move the ball for the most part on the ground including the QB runs.
The Bad: 1) Sims: It's great that he can run but he does not look like a guy that could be drafted. Inaccurate and telegraphs his throws. 2) The receiving corps does not have a player like Trey Palmer and the loss of Betts hurts a lot. This team will have to own the line of scrimmage to be successful. 3) Crucial mental errors are still a problem. Targeting, face mask, etc. False starts at key moments that kill drives. This is improved and we didn't see all the moronic stuff of the Frost years, but it has to get better to win close games.

Overall I think Minnesota has a better roster and the game was at Minnesota. The passing game and the turnovers have to get better or this will be a difficult year. Purdy and Haarberg should get plenty of opportunities to win the QB job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT