ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

AND that's huge because that one has been"a point of emphasis". It's all about player safety and especially the qb. You can't breath on a QB without risking a penalty
Don't forget the targeting that happened to Stan against Wisconsin or JD against Purdue. Hey even if they'd come out and say sorry we obviously missed those calls, but man this isn't a coincidence anymore what's it going to take someone from Nebraska gets seriously hurt and makes the national new.

Don't forget the targeting that happened to Stan against Wisconsin or JD against Purdue. Hey even if they'd come out and say sorry we obviously missed those calls, but man this isn't a coincidence anymore what's it going to take someone from Nebraska gets seriously hurt and makes the national new.
Yes those were definitely missed

Reactions: ChristmasBOnus
Complaining about officials is what losers do. And we’re doing both a lot. Our problem isn’t the zebras.
Nope. Not this. The zebras CAN and DO many times change the outcome of any given sporting event, be it basketball, football, anything. It’s a necessary evil. Video replay has helped reduce the impact, but it can’t eliminate officiating mistakes/bias. And YES, there is absolutely bias against teams and I suspect some BigTen refs do not like NU.

People will say, ‘well the refs didn’t change the outcome’, but the reality is some games are just close and an officiating error can and does affect outcomes. This was clearly the case yesterday. Not defending our coaching or players, just stating a fact about officiating.

Nope. Not this. The zebras CAN and DO many times change the outcome of any given sporting event, be it basketball, football, anything. It’s a necessary evil. Video replay has helped reduce the impact, but it can’t eliminate officiating mistakes/bias. And YES, there is absolutely bias against teams and I suspect some BigTen refs do not like NU.

People will say, ‘well the refs didn’t change the outcome’, but the reality is some games are just close and an officiating error can and does affect outcomes. This was clearly the case yesterday. Not defending our coaching or players, just stating a fact about officiating.

I’ll stand by “our problem isn’t the zebras.”

Sure, we have a million problems right now, but the B1G officials are one.

And all I remember was complaining about the Big XXII officials when we were part of that conference.

We need to look in the mirror and stop doing the stupid sh*t that keeps “screwing” us.

And all I remember was complaining about the Big XXII officials when we were part of that conference.

We need to look in the mirror and stop doing the stupid sh*t that keeps “screwing” us.
That’s fine, you want to be “no excuses” guy, go ahead. But I just watched a football game where one team was penalized one time the whole freaking game, a game in which they threw 64 passes and targeted an opposing QB after he slid. I will call a spade a spade on this one. Doesnt mean we don’t have plenty of other problems, but come on...

The hit on Martinez should have been called roughing and possibly targeting as gave himself up. That was a blown call. The PI's on Neb were either way calls. The no calls on the grounding were both correct. The call on Roughing the Passer on us was by the book also. But if you are not going to call the hit on Martinez you should not call that one on us.

I’ll stand by “our problem isn’t the zebras.”
Can’t disagree with you, in general. My point is SOMETIMES complaining is absolutely warranted. An incorrect call in an otherwise close football game can and does change the outcome of the game in terms of a win or a loss. It typically can’t be avoided, but it seems NU is historically on the wrong end of the call.

Can’t disagree with you, in general. My point is SOMETIMES complaining is absolutely warranted. An incorrect call in an otherwise close football game can and does change the outcome of the game in terms of a win or a loss. It typically can’t be avoided, but it seems NU is historically on the wrong end of the call.
Anyone remember the 94 orange bowl? You can't say the refs didn't have a big hand in determining the out come in that game

Reactions: huskerfan66
What about the ref watching the replay then throwing a flag lol.

You are in denial if you think officials don't help determine the outcome of a game. Check out the number of calls received at home in basketball vs. the road.

I saw in our game Saturday a Husker receiver go out, and the NW defender had both hands wrapped around his jersey, and it ended up being highlighted on a replay. No call. One of the NW offensive lineman held so bad he ended up with the red underpad between our shoulder pad IN HIS HANDS AT THE END OF THE PLAY!! How do you miss that? He had to hand it back to our d-lineman. The refs this year have been awful.

Very true. Fumble? What fumble?
I believe someone photoshopped a picture of the referee with his head turned blowing his nose in a handkerchief on the missed no fumble all we can do is bitch until they are held more accountable that's all we can do

Nebraksa ad should send a video of the hit on Martinez as he slid and ask for clarification. Defenseless player, giving himself up that results in a blow to the head. A QB to boot. Pretty easy call to make.

Nebraksa ad should send a video of the hit on Martinez as he slid and ask for clarification. Defenseless player, giving himself up that results in a blow to the head. A QB to boot. Pretty easy call to make.
I’m sure they will and I’m sure they also did with the one on JD in the Purdue game and the one on Stan on the Wisconsin game.

I believe someone photoshopped a picture of the referee with his head turned blowing his nose in a handkerchief on the missed no fumble all we can do is bitch until they are held more accountable that's all we can do
I have a framed copy of that print in my office next to the one with Warren Sapp breathing with an oxygen mask the following year

Reactions: Baxter48
I'm not a fan of blaming the refs, but Northwestern received 1 penalty after dropping back to pass over sixty times.

Reactions: headcard
Yep, definitely a referee conspiracy. You figured it out. Not even debatable. Good grief.
They're obviously not out to get Nebraska but it's in their head subconsciously, at least on calls against us. They probably walk into the game thinking "It's Nebraska, my whistle is gonna be busy today". Then are quick to throw the flag.

QUOTE="regoratsginrom, post: 4676974, member: 4516"]I’ll stand by “our problem isn’t the zebras.”[/QUOTE]
No one is saying we'd be 6-0 if it wasn't for the refs. The officiating had been terrible, whether it effects the game or not.

If you think that NU's reputation isn't effecting the officiating you are wrong. I discussed this with a friend of mine who, back then, was a Mountain West official and had been for many years. It came up in the context of discussing our "friendly" farewell from the Big 12 officials in the A&M game (which, BTW, he laughed and said of course the officials were screwing you on the way out the door. You said FU to their employer, what did you expect them to do?). In any event, as the discussion expanded he said that a team with a reputation as being penalized will continue to get penalized. Why? Because since the officials are expecting penalties they will see them, whether they are there or not. That also leads to the officials missing calls on the other team, because they are so focused on the one team's players they miss blatant calls on the other team. For example, they are so focused on NU's DL for late hits/hits to the helmet they don't see holding calls by the OT's that you would think a middle school ref would see. They also expect to call more penalties on the heavily penalized team, so they do so, whether warranted or not. Subconsciously and even sometimes consciously they decide 'well NU should probably end up with around 10 penalties and so NW shouldn't have more than a couple.' If a team like NW starts to catch up in the number of penalties, you can expect the officials to call a bunch on the team like NU to get them back out ahead. It's just human nature.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT