ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Minnesota Game Notes and Breakdown

TheNewNU

All-American
Dec 27, 2014
So I just got done watching the film and taking notes on the Minnesota game. Let me start off by saying I’m no expert, I’m not PFF, I’m not Tom Osborne, I’m just a fan that played football through high school and coached football for 4 years. I used to take notes on my own team like this when I was coaching and I’ve done it for a few notable Husker games in the past and would share my thoughts on boards and with friends because I wanted to get a real breakdown of how the team did. Here are my thoughts on the game and the team.

My thoughts: Despite the heartbreaking ending there are a lot of good things to take away from this game.

Defense: We are a very well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound defense. I have not seen an NU defense play this disciplined and this sound since Bo Pelini was our head coach. We tackled well, we had good gap integrity, we fought off blocks better than I’ve seen in years, we have depth and use it, and we played assignment football for the entire 4 quarters. That has not happened around here for a long time. Tony’s scheme moves guys all over the place, it does have a bit of a bend but don’t break element. We played a lot of zone from what I saw and the only thing MN really had going on offense was using their tight ends and slot guys to sit in the soft parts of the zone to get yardage. MN could not get the run game going at all, and pretty much abandoned it after the 1st half. I have seen some people be concerned about the lack of pass rush, I was initially concerned about this too but after watching the tape you see that Minnesota max protects a lot. If they are in their drop back passing, they are almost always protecting with 7 guys, so I’m not super worried about that. The biggest issue I saw with this defense? Talent. Now don’t get me wrong I think we have some good players on the defense. Nash played really well, he gave Minnesota fits all night. Ty also played well until he got ejected. I see why Rhule ran off Farmer because Singleton is a player. I think he and Nash have the highest ceilings of any starters on defense in terms of NFL potential. Which is not saying a ton because I just don’t see many needle movers or day 1 NFL draft picks on this unit. I don’t see a Suh, a Lavonte David, or a Randy Gregory on this side of the ball. I think Princewill and Cam Lenhart could possibly get there someday. But they are babies at this point. I like what I saw, I just think it’s gonna take some time to get some difference makers on the field. But there is a lot to be excited about how our defense played. We may not be a dominant defense this season but I think we have a defense that will keep us in a lot of games based on how well coached they are.

Special Teams: Echoes a lot of what I saw on defense. We looked well coached, we were in the right spot, we executed well, we didn’t make any stupid mistakes. We look organized as a unit. Which I know should be a given at the Power 5 level but we are coming off 5 years of complete ineptitude on the special teams so it was a breath of fresh air to see. I know a lot of people had a problem with the initial punt return but there really wasn’t much Billy could do on it. He was lined up at the 5 and the ball hit at around the 22 yard line and bounced 21 yards to the goal line. Overall, I saw some really good things from our special teams. Alvano looked poised and Buschini had some very solid punts. I don't think we'll be dropping many games this year due to special teams

Offense: Oh boy, I was very intrigued to see what the film would show. Are we really that bad? Well let’s dive into it. I don’t think we are a terrible offensive unit. We’re not great, but there were times we moved the ball pretty well against a very stout Minnesota defense. We have some issues on the OL. Namely, Turner Corcoran. I saw PFF gave him a 0.0 in Pass pro and I’m not sure how that’s even possible. He was bad, no doubt about that and if Teddy doesn’t come back soon we are in major trouble. He just looked totally lost out there, if he wasn’t getting beat with a spin move, or a inside dip, he was blocking the wrong guy or not blocking anyone at all. Henry Lutovsky was bad too. He couldn’t pull and whiffed on a lot of blocks. The rest of the unit I thought was much better, not great but not terrible. Benhart looked better, Piper, Nouilli and Scott seemed to hold down the fort inside and I liked what I saw from Justin Evans-Jenkins too. Piper’s false start may have cost us the game but I’ll get to that later. I saw a couple days ago that a radio commentator said something about Fidone and Thomas tweeted at him. Well Thomas, put your twitter on silent for awhile because you were awful. Now I understand he’s coming off an injury but that kid false started and cost us points on our first drive, whiffed on probably a dozen blocks on the perimeter and half the time looked like he didn’t even know what the play was. I couldn’t believe how bad he was. Him and Corcoran next to one another on the line was just asking for trouble. Really shocked at his performance, he looked like a walk on not a former #1 TE recruit. No targets, the plays that likely would have been drawn up for him went to Haarberg. Who looked like an athlete when thrown to. Now onto Jeff Sims. Was he horrible? Not really. I thought he played OK. He missed some throws, and his last interception was just a rookie mistake. He was feeling pressure up the middle, got on his back foot, stared down Marcus the entire time and the safety read him like a book for an easy pick. That was pretty egregious. The 1st one from what I saw he was getting greedy trying to get the 1st down on 3rd and long, held the ball a little long and his legs got tied up and sailed it. The 2nd one was bad, he made the wrong read and underthrew it. But here’s my biggest gripe about the offense. The Redzone. That final drive before half was just a comedy of errors. 1st we blow a timeout because we took too long to get the play in. Then we run it in for a touchdown and the ref gives us a crappy spot. Then we have the ball on the 1 and Piper false starts. Finally Jeff throws a pick. If we get a decent spot touchdown and we likely win the game. If Piper doesn’t jump, touchdown and we likely win the game. I know it’s easy to blame Jeff for the pick but if we get a decent spot or Piper doesn’t jump he’s never in that situation. But we still weren’t done screwing things up in the Red zone. Cut to the end of the 3rd quarter, start of the 4 quarter, Jeff hits Boerkircher on a crossing route after a great drive and we have 2nd and goal at the 4 yard line and a beautiful play set up for AG to basically get a walk in touch down that never happens because Boerkirhcer jumps. We then follow that up with not getting the play off in time on 3rd down and have to burn a timeout. The redzone offense was just abysmal Thursday night, If that doesn't improve we won't beat anyone. So while I don’t think Jeff played particularly well, I don’t think he deserves to be burned at the stake either. But he’s the QB and that’s how it works. You’re the hero in victory and the goat in defeat. I thought the backs all ran the ball pretty well. Piper whiffed on his block on the AG fumble and the kid was able to chase AG down and punch the ball out. It’s still on AG to hold onto the ball but if Piper does his job fumble probably doesn’t happen and we likely win. I think talent is an issue on offense as well. We don’t have many if any NFL guys at the skill spots. The offense has to run through Jeff, which I know we were all hoping it wouldn’t be like that but sadly it’s going to be boom or bust based on how he performs. I think Jeff ran really well, he had some good moments throwing the ball and some terrible moments. Like it or not if this offense is going to succeed this season it’s going to go through Jeff because he’s by far our best player on offense. Garrett has to get Jalen Lloyd and Malachi going, I think he will, hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Overall: After I watched Scott Frost’s first game, I thought things were improved and thought for sure we would win 6 or so games that season. So I’m reticent to make a claim for how many games we should win. I think we are good enough to win 6 games. I don’t know if that will happen or not. I’ve seen a lot of gripes about Jeff, about Rhule for playing AG in crunch time, and Satterfield being a bad OC. Personally, I thought we had a pretty solid game plan. No one thought Satterfield was some offensive guru when Rhule hired him, he’s an experienced, solid power 5 OC that Matt knows and trusts. I don’t think he really had any bad calls. People were mad about the 3 pass and out series but the first 2 passes were there. The team just didn’t execute. We moved the ball well at times and were one stupid mistake away from beating a team that averages 8 wins a year. I thought we were the best team on the field that night but bottom line we just made too many mistakes. We really were just one false start, one less fumble away. Which I understand after you lose this way 26 times gets pretty old. So I don’t know what to think about the rest of the year. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois all looked mediocre in their openers, and I don't see any of those games being out of reach, depends on how the team improves over the year. I think 8 wins probably wins the west this year and after Saturday, I honestly believe that it's wide open. But I also don’t think this Husker team has a whole lot of NFL talent and it will take some time to get more talent onto the team. The transfer class we took in is appearing pretty weak if we are being honest but then again Rhule always has said he wants to build with high schoolers. If we lose a couple more I could see Rhule saying screw it in a few weeks and seeing a bunch of freshman at wide receiver, defensive end and Offensive line. I am excited to see how this team improves over the year and I am impressed with the job Rhule has done so far. I know the last thing all of us want to hear is that we need to be patient but it’s all we can do at this point. Go Big Red!

Game Notes:

Special Teams:

Kickoff, Alvano kicks it to the 4, outside the near hash, Well covered, 43 and 33 break down nicely and make the stop at the 18.

Punt return, Kemp lined up at about the 10, ball hits at the 20 and takes about as good a bounce as it can and lands inside the 1. I actually don’t fault Billy for that. That was a really bad break.

Punt, Buschini kicks in 60 yards in the air, Gunnerson is in position to make the tackle but whiffs, Reimer and Hahn come flying in and tackle him at about the MN 18 yard line. Good coverage.

Field goal block, nothing noteworthy, chipshot field goal.

Kick Return, fielded at the 4, not particularly well blocked, missed a few, got it out to about the 17 yard line.

Field goal block, missed it short and left.

Kick Return, Rahmir fields it at the 2. Has some decent blocks set up Rahmir bounces it to the right side and brings it all the way down to the MN 35 yard line.

PAT. Alvano, good snap good hold kick is good.

Kickoff, Buschini kicks it a yard deep into the end zone, Mikai Gbayor comes flying down and makes a nice tackle at around the 18 yard line.

Punt Return, Billy fields it side steps a defender and gets about 5 yards.

Punt, Not the best protection, MN fair catch but we get bailed out with a roughing the kicker call.

Punt, Good protection, Lands on the 18, Coverage downs the ball there.

Field goal, Alvano, good snap, good hold, good kick, 3 points.

Kick off, Alvano, kicks it to the MN 5, really well covered, tackled at the 18.

Punt return, Billy fields it and spins out of a tackle, not much in terms of blocking, pick up of about 7 yards.

Punt, well protected, Not a great punt by Brian, takes an NU bounce and is well covered, downed at the 16

Punt return, Billy fair catches at the 32.

Pat block, Nothing to note.

Kick Return, Touchback.

Offense:

14 Personnel, QB sneak, Jeff pushes the pile 5 yards ahead to get out from the 1 yard line.

12 Personnel, Play action, Corcoran literally looks lost and doesn’t block anyone, Boerk needing the double team can’t hold the DE, Jeff pulls it and picks up 7 yards and the first down.

21 Personnel, Fidone flinches false start, 1st and 15 after the penalty.

11 Personnel, GT Counter, Jeff fakes the hand off to Rahmir and follows Piper and Corc, Piper picks up a guy, Corc whiffs, Jeff is fast enough for it not to matter, gets the edge and picks up 26 yards.

21 Personnel, Hand off to Rahmir, Corcoran gets beat across his face, Fidone whiffs on his block, Liebentritt can’t get to the next level because Fidone whiffs on his block, Right side of the line blocks well, Rahmir makes a guy miss to only lose 1 yard.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Fidone flexed out left, Power to the left, pulling Noulli, does a nice job and picks up his man, Corc whiffs on his block, Fidone whiffs on his block, AG spins out of a tackle to get back to the LOS.

12 Men in the huddle, 5 yard penalty, 3rd and 16.

Empty L, MN drops 8, NU runs a Mesh concept underneath (which is a man beater, probably needed to check out of the play Jeff) throws it a bit behind Bullock but there are a host of Gophers there to tackle him after a gain of about 8.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, bunch, might be a read, but Jeff pulls it and runs the end makes a nice play to trip Jeff up from behind, if not that could have gone for awhile, gain of 12, Well blocked from the line and Fidone gets a nice block on the perimeter.

21 Personnel, I formation, Looks like they tried to run the option, Jeff keeps it and picks up 7 yards. Scott with a nice block.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, motion IGC to the right, Swing pass to Rahmir out of the backfield, very poorly blocked by Bullock and IGC. Loss of 2.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, Play action, they Hit Haarberg in the flat, and pick up 10

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, motion Fidone L to R, Play action, Lutovsky goes to double the End instead of picking up the Mike backer and Scott can’t get over in time, Jeff does a beautiful job of stepping up in the pocket, IGC can’t hang on to it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, fake the swing pass to the right, QB power, corner comes down and makes a great tackle and upends Jeff after about a 4 yard gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Jeff holds the ball a bit too long, Needs to check it down to Rahmir or Fidone in the flats, Likely got greedy because it’s 3rd down, His feet get wrapped up by a Gopher lineman and the ball sails on him. Billy was not open regardless. Likely just a case of him forcing it trying to get the 1st down. Needs to check it down. MN defender makes a great play. INT.

22 Personnel, Pistol, Looks like a switch zone, AG gets a hole and gains 9 yards, well blocked and executed.

22 Personnel, Double Tight, I formation, Dive to AG, corner comes around the edge and grabs him keeps it a gain of 2.

13 Personnel, JEJ in at TE, Motion TE, R to L, Jeff fakes to GE and barrels ahead for 5 yards. Gabe missed a block there, could have been 8 or 9 yards if he makes it.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Pass, MN brings pressure, Jeff gets it to IGC on a stick route for a pick up of 8

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, TE tight, QB Draw with Jeff, pick up of about 8.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Fidone flexed out on the outside, Jeff looks to the boundary side and hits Bullock on a post route for a pick up of 15.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, Pass, Jeff stares down IGC pretty bad right here. Throws it into double coverage and is almost picked. Incomplete.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, bunch, we try to shift late and Matt has to blow a time out. He’s visably pissed on the sideline.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Fidone tight to the left, QB draw, Jeff gets about 12 yards and gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

11 personnel, 3 by 1 R, Inside zone, Ervin takes it and breaks a few tackles to get down to the 3 yard line.

11 personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Ervin up the middle. Pretty terrible spot. He was clearly in. Down at the half yard line.

12 personnel, double tight, Piper clearly flinches, false start. 5 yard penalty. We have to burn our last timeout.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, Pass, Jeff sees the corner route wide open but doesn’t see the corner behind the outside line backer, he’s a touch late throwing it, easy pick, Boerk is open underneath. Interception.

21 Personnel, Pistol, 3 by 1 L, motions FB to the right, Fidone and Lieb lead blocking for AG, Lutovsky gets beat across his face, AG gets met in the backfield and gets back to the line of scrimmage.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Toss play right to AG, he postures up to throw it, he makes a catchable but not great throw to Jeff, who can’t bring it in. Jeff picks it up and rifles it to a wide open Bullock in the endzone for a Touchdown.

12 Personnel Double tights to the L, IGC motions from L to R, looks like a man indicator, Jeff looks left, Corc gets beat on an inside move and Jeff runs right into Benhart and his man sacked for a loss of 6.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Fidone flexed out in the slot, QB draw, picks up 7.

10 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Malachi in at slot receiver, Pass, Corc gets beat with an inside spin move and Piper whiffs helping him out. MN sack when they only sent 3. Ugh. Malachi had a step on his defender, might have gone for 6 if we protected.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, double tight, inside zone to AG, well blocked, AG cuts it backside for a 6 yard gain.

12 Personnel, Ace formation, Inside zone to AG, Lutovsky gets beat across his face, guy dives at AG’s ankles and Scotts man cleans it up gain of about 2.

11 Personnel, Motion Kemp R to L, they went back to the Play action with Haarberg in the flat, MN D had it sniffed out, Corc and Benhart and Piper all get beat and there are 3 Gopher D lineman in Jeff’s face. Sacked for a loss of 7. I don’t know how you can call Donnie the “OL coach I’ve been looking for” after a play like that. Terrible.

11 Personnel, Motion Kemp L to R, Looks like Power to the left, Noulli whiffs on his pull block, Corcoran whiffs on his block on the lineback, Gabe runs over the linebacker and bounces it outside and picks up 27.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Double tights, Inside zone to Gabe, Fidone Whiffs on a block, Noulli’s guy fights off and dives at Gabe’s legs, pick up of 4.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Fake power action, hands it to Jalen Lloyd on a reverse, Some poor blocking on the edge, we had the numbers could have been a big play, Lloyd picks up 10.

21 Personnel, I formation, play action, well protected, Jeff throws the ball on a post, ball is a little low and a bit behind could have possibly gone for a touchdown with better location. But still a solid pitch and catch for a 1st down.

12 Personnel, looks like a switch zone, Boerkercher misses his block, I’m not sure if AG was supposed to bounce that outside or not. Looks like the blocking was set up for the middle. Loss of 2.

11 Personnel, motion Kemp from R to L, Jeff fakes to Rahmir, Fidone pulls around to lead block to the left, Fidone runs up field to get the safety, looks like Kemp decided to not block anyone, may have been a touchdown had Billy picked up a block.

12 Personnel, motion Liebentritt R to L, double tights L, designed run with Jeff, he cuts it back backside, pretty well blocked, Jeff tries to get to the sideline as is tackled after a gain of 5. If he gets north and south on that he would have gotten a lot more.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L bunch, Looks like a zone read, Jeff keeps, Fidone whiffs on a block again, Jeff picks up about 7. Blocking on the perimeter was not good that night.

13 Personnel, Jumbo with JEJ at TE, Delayed hand off to Gabe, well blocked, especially by JEJ, pick up of 7.

12 Personnel, Ace formation, Play action, Jeff hits Boerk on a crossing route, a little out in front, Boerk makes a great play to haul it in, pick up of 5. Had IGC open in the back of the end zone. But still like the read.

12 Personnel, Double tights L, bunch, false start by Boerkerchir, drive killer, probably a walk in touch down for AG.

12 Personnel, Play action, Jeff’s first read isn’t there and protection breaks down, Nouili, Benhart, Corcs guys all come free, Jeff has to throw it into the stands. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, R, play clock runs down and Jeff has to call a timeout. Our redzone offense was absolutely terrible that night.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Looks like it’s supposed to be a draw to Jeff, MN brings 7 and they tackle him for no gain.

12 Personnel, ace formation, Play action, Jeff has Tommi Hill open on a deep ball and under throws him by 5 yards. Incomplete. Good throw and it’s a touchdown.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, play action, Linebacker makes a great play to tip the pass, Jeff had Billy open over the the middle. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Shallow crossing route to Washington, poorly blocked on the perimeter, by Bullock and Kemp, no gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Billy motions L to R, Scott and Benhart both pull to the left, AG gets the hand off left, Bullock whiffs on a block and Benhart has to shore that up, allows the corner to come flying in and make a tackle for a gain of 2.

13 Personnel, Jumbo set with JEJ, Triple tights to the left, delayed handoff to Gabe, pretty well blocked and defended, gain of 4.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Jeff looks left and checks it down to Rahmir out of the backfield. Gain of 6 and a 1st down.

We are late getting the play in and burn our 2nd timeout.

13 Personnel, Jumbo with JEJ, Triple Tights to the R, We run Power with AG, Piper whiffs on his block and the kid chases down AG and punches the ball out. Fumble. Kid made a great play and AG didn’t have the ball tucked. Killer.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, QB draw, Ben Scott misses a block, gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, TE tight, Not sure what was supposed to be happening on this one, Looks like Corc blocks the wrong guy and the DE has a free run to Jeff, Jeff scrambles right and makes a great play to pick up 9 and the first down.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, TE flexed, Pass, Jeff hits Marcus on a post route, I think he’s reading the outside backer and because the backer picked up Rahmir out of the backfield he hit Marcus for the 1st down.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, bunch form, Run, Backside defender comes in unblocked. With where Jeff was lined up I don’t think it was a zone read, I think Fidone just didn’t block the right guy. I’m really tired of writing that…

11 Personnel 2 by 2, Pass, Jeff appears to get happy feet, throws off his back foot into triple coverage. The safety read him the whole way and jumped the route. Pretty rookie mistake, He’s gotta look off the safety in that situation. This was by far the worst pick he threw.

Defense:

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, MN TE flexed out, NU in 4 down, DE’s in 5 technique, DT’s in a 1 and 3 technique, NU with only 4 in the box, corners playing in about 3 to 5 yards off, Safeties at 11 yards, Rover about 8 yards, backers just outside the box about 4 yards off. MN hits TE on a stick route for 6 yards. Reimer with a nice tackle and Giff comes in and helps him clean it up

12 Personnel, Ace formation, NU lines up in 4 down, safeties are moved up, MN runs Power to the Left, pulls RG and RTE, Reimer does a nice job of filling and taking on RTE, Omar Brown comes in and kind of whiffs on an arm tackle, Reimer does a nice job of getting off his block and making the tackle after a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, 4 down, NU pressures with Gifford on weak side, Ty Robinson goes unblocked and almost gets to Q, takes his hot on the slant, Omar Brown just a little late getting there, 1st down Gophers.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 R bunched up around the football, 3 down for NU, 6 in the box, Looks like outside zone, hand off, Nash is in the backfield for a TFL, but falls down and back gets away, MN wr gets away with a clear block in the back on Hartzog, Bullock makes a helluva play to fight off a block and get to the RB, Giff and Singleton clean it up. Gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, PA pass, Ty and Nash do a great job getting pressure up the middle to hurry Q, MN wr there on a comeback route but the hurry forces a bad throw, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 5 down, NU brings pressure, pocket collapses, MN OL gets away with what looks like a hold on Jeudy, MN Q scrambles for 10. 1st down.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, MN runs inside zone, Javin Wright slow plays Q, hands it to RB, Nash does a great job getting off his block and stuffing the run for a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 5 down, Looks to be an RPO, MN hits the WR screen on the outside, ball is trhown low and Hartzog comes in and gets a TFL.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 3 down showing pressure, sends 4, MN QB throws it into a crowd of Huskers, incomplete. Forces the Punt.

12 Personnel, Double Tight L, NU in 3 down showing pressure with Jack and Will backers, MN runs inside zone, NU DL bogs down the lines, RB cuts backside, Singleton comes flying in and makes a nice tackle after a gain of 2.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, play action, MN has 6 guys in to protect, our 4 can’t get to Q, easy throw for about 25 on a dig route. 1st down

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Runs power to the Left using that backside TE as a lead blocker, MN does a nice job getting hat on hat, Singleton and Borders get him after a gain of 7.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 bunched, NU 5 down, Play action, MN slot fakes a block and sits backside TE runs to the flat, not sure who is supposed to have him there, hard to say if that is man or zone. Singleton and Bullock come down and make the tackle for no gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, TE flexed out, NU in 4 down, NU pressures with 6, MN WR beats Newsome on a slant for a 5 yard gain.

12 Personnel, double tight L, NU in 4 down, MN inside zone, Javin Wright fills really nicely, but gets cut down, Omar Brown comes down and makes a nice tackle after a gain of about 5.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 R, NU in 5 down, Play action to the Right and MN wanted to hit their TE out in the flat but Javin Wright blew up the play for an incompletion.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, MN running mesh concept, Omar Brown got cut off by the Mesh and they hit the mesh route undeneath for a gain of about 10.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, MN runs Power to the right, really well blocked, Giff whiffs on a tackle after about 3 yeards and Princewill and Tommy Lee get him after about a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 bunch, NU in 3 down, play action, MN hits a receiver on a drag route, Hartzog looks a bit confuesed but gets to him in pursuit after a gain of about 7.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R Bunch, NU in 5 down, MN fakes Power to the right, and runs a reverse to the wide receiver to the right side. NU not fooled at all Giff makes a shoe string tackle for a loss of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 6 down showing pressure, sends 4, Pass, MN hits the slot receiver on stick route looks like Ethan Nation got a little out of position but was there to make the tackle short of the line to gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 4 down showing pressure, Inside Zone, MN OL takes care of our DL, Giff and Bullock take him down after a gain of 5

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tight, NU in 3 down, Clapping infraction on Reimer, 5 yard penalty

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, inside zone, Bullock crashes on the RB, MN Q keeps it, and he slides after picking up the first to avoid Omar Brown’s tackle.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tight Nebraska in 5 down, Pass, all day to throw, NU brings 4, MN Q sails it over receivers head who is well covered by Tommi Hill,

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, delayed hand off to RB, Gunnerson does a really nice job of fighting off a block and getting to the back for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Pass, Ty goes basically unblocked to the Q, he rolls right and hits receiver for just enough for a 1st down. Tommi Hill on coverage.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, NU in 4 down, Play action, NU sends 6, MJ whiffs on a sack, MN Q has to throw it into the bleachers. Incomplete.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L bunch, NU in 3 down, 6 in the box, MN runs Power to the right, Nash does a beautiful job getting off his block and stopping the back for a 2 yard gain.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Pass, NU drops into zone, MN Q makes a great throw over to the left and Hartzog falls down, Javin Wright and a few other Huskers get to him in pursuit. Gain of 15.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, NU in 3 down, Pass, MN max protects, Jeudy Gets through hurries him for an incompletion.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, bunch, NU in 4 down, looks like a switch zone, Omar does a nice job of forcing the RB inside Tommi Hill fills and makes a nice tackle for no gain.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 L, NU in 6 down showing pressure, sends 4, Pass, MN Q wants his slot receiver on a skinny post, Omar right there, incomplete.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 R, double tights, MN runs a switch zone, Ty beats his man across his face, Cam Lendhart grabs him and is dragged 4 yards ahead. Not the best tackle in the world but it worked. 4 yard gain.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 L, double tights, play action, MN Q wants his man on an out route but the ball is short, incomplete.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, NU 3 front, sends 4, MN has WR screen set up on the left side, Reimer and Omar Brown make a great play and get a stop for no gain. 3 and out.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 4 front, play action, his slant route isn’t there due to good coverage by Reimer and the secondary, has plenty of time to reset and throw a completion to another receiver sitting in a hole of the zone. 1st down.

12 Personnel, double tights R, 2 by 2, NU 4 front, play action, NU all over it, nobody open throws it into the stands incomplete.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU 5 front, Power to the R, Nash blows the whole play up by knocking back his man 2 yards into the backfield, RB does a nice job of finding daylight, Giff and crew clean it up after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, NU brings 4, Pass, MN Q finds the TE sitting in the soft spot of the zone for a gain of 12. First down. Ty gets ejected for a roughing the passer and targeting call.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L bunch, NU 5 front, Play action off IZ, MN max protects, they do that a lot, kid makes a helluva throw and catch on the sideline for about a 25 yard gain. 1st down.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tights, Ace formation, NU 4 front, switch zone, Singleton does a great job getting through and making a tackle and Gunnerson does a good job of fighting off his block and making a tackle.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 double tights R, NU 5 front, Play action, Slot runs a post corner off of what looks like a scissors concept, Omar recognizes it the whole way, jumps the route. Interception. Great play by Omar, MN max protects a lot.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, bunch, NU 3 front, Pass, MN Q wants his outside receiver on a 7 yard out route, well defended by Malcom Hartzog, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, 4 front for NU, Screen set up to the left, But I believe there is a pre snap check that MN Q has, Newsome playing about 9 yards off so the lone receiver just has a stick route for free yardage. Kid hears footsteps from Newsome and Singleton and drops the ball. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 6 front, showing pressure, NU brings 6, Ball is tipped away by J Bullock and falls incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU 3 front, pass, spacing concept, throws it to TE for a gain of 5. Well covered and tackled by NU.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, Pass, appears to check down to RB on a swing, tackled by Singleton after a gain 6.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, Left tackle false started, no call, pass, well covered, MN Q steps up and Gunnerson gets to him for a sack.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, showing blitz, Looks like they went back to that RB screen on the R and stick route on the left, I assume, if the corner is 7+ yards off it’s an automatic check to the stick route. 7 yard gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Tight L, NU 3 front, inside zone, Cam squeezes on the back and MN Q dives ahead for a 6 yard gain and a 1st down. Newsome on the tackle.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, 3 front for NU, play action, MN max protects, Goes deep, well covered by Omar, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, bunched, NU 3 front, Pass, NU brings 6, Minnesota has hat on hat, coverage down field is good, MN Q makes a great play to evade the rush, get out of the pocket and throw it away. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 4 front, showing blitz, Pass, Nash splits the double team, and Princewill is right behind him for a huge sack.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in a 4 front, switch zone, Omar and Reimer get to him after a gain of 3.

12 Personnel 3 by 1 R, bunch, 3 front NU, play action, all day to throw, Singleton makes a great play on the ball, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 R, NU 4 front, Pass, Throws to slow receiver underneath, not the best tackling, receiver stretches out just short of the line to gain.

13 Personnel, Jumbo, NU 4 front, double tights to the R, NU flies in but RB gets it on a second effort, 15 yard facemask on Cam, as he’s getting held like crazy.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU 3 front, Pass, MN Q hits back out of the backfield and he can’t bring it in. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU 3 front, Pass, TE leaks out and replaces the blitzing NU backers, after some not so great tackling he picks up 15 yards.

12 Personnel, Double tights L, 3 by 1 L, NU 5 front, Play action, scissors concept it looks like, kid makes an incredible catch but can’t keep his feet in. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, 3 front for NU, Pass, Looking for TE on a stick route, pass dropped, decent coverage, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Pass, thrown into double coverage, Gifford has it and then drops it, incomplete. Not an easy catch to make, would have been a helluva play for him to grab it.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, Malcom gets burned and kid makes an incredible grab. Touchdown, Left tackle definitely got going early there. Should have been a false start.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, TE tight L, NU 4 front, Pass, Hits TE in the flat, we miss a tackle and he picks up 9 yards.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, easy out to the sideline, picks up 5 yards.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, hits back out of the backfield on a flare, picks up 5 yards. I really like this playcalling by Minnesota. Just easy reads and getting out of bounds every time.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU in 4 down, NU pressures, and Reimer gets the sack for a loss of 3 yards.

11 Personnel, False start, MN 5 yard penalty.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 4 down, They run the ball, Cam Lenhardt and John Bullock miss tackles, Gifford gets him after a gain of 12. Killer play.

Great analysis! Simply put…This team will only go as far as the O-line will take them. Rhule needs to bite the bullet and get the inexperienced some experience. I’m certain there is more upside to this.

We’ve already seen too much from some of them (3-4 years too much). The lightbulb is never coming on. They are a liability in the game.

Wow. Great effort. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed your notes

Thank you for this! I don't feel as down about some aspects of the game after reading that.

My only critique of your critique is if you could break up your assessments of the offense/defense/etc. to shorter paragraphs my aging eyes would thank you. 🤓

Reactions: SkerInCo
I felt like the D gave up a lot of 3rd downs.. similar to last year.. 3rd and longs were still being converted.. I felt like White needed to send nore exotic blitzes . I know a ton if guys played so it was hard to keep up..

Offense shoukd have just jept running QB zone read and we woulda closed it down.. let this one get away

I wasn’t paying attention to Fidone vs. Minnesota but if he is that horrendous as a blocker he has no business being on the field. That’s job #1 for a TE.

Reactions: BleedRed78
So I just got done watching the film and taking notes on the Minnesota game. Let me start off by saying I’m no expert, I’m not PFF, I’m not Tom Osborne, I’m just a fan that played football through high school and coached football for 4 years. I used to take notes on my own team like this when I was coaching and I’ve done it for a few notable Husker games in the past and would share my thoughts on boards and with friends because I wanted to get a real breakdown of how the team did. Here are my thoughts on the game and the team.

My thoughts: Despite the heartbreaking ending there are a lot of good things to take away from this game.

Defense: We are a very well coached, disciplined, fundamentally sound defense. I have not seen an NU defense play this disciplined and this sound since Bo Pelini was our head coach. We tackled well, we had good gap integrity, we fought off blocks better than I’ve seen in years, we have depth and use it, and we played assignment football for the entire 4 quarters. That has not happened around here for a long time. Tony’s scheme moves guys all over the place, it does have a bit of a bend but don’t break element. We played a lot of zone from what I saw and the only thing MN really had going on offense was using their tight ends and slot guys to sit in the soft parts of the zone to get yardage. MN could not get the run game going at all, and pretty much abandoned it after the 1st half. I have seen some people be concerned about the lack of pass rush, I was initially concerned about this too but after watching the tape you see that Minnesota max protects a lot. If they are in their drop back passing, they are almost always protecting with 7 guys, so I’m not super worried about that. The biggest issue I saw with this defense? Talent. Now don’t get me wrong I think we have some good players on the defense. Nash played really well, he gave Minnesota fits all night. Ty also played well until he got ejected. I see why Rhule ran off Farmer because Singleton is a player. I think he and Nash have the highest ceilings of any starters on defense in terms of NFL potential. Which is not saying a ton because I just don’t see many needle movers or day 1 NFL draft picks on this unit. I don’t see a Suh, a Lavonte David, or a Randy Gregory on this side of the ball. I think Princewill and Cam Lenhart could possibly get there someday. But they are babies at this point. I like what I saw, I just think it’s gonna take some time to get some difference makers on the field. But there is a lot to be excited about how our defense played. We may not be a dominant defense this season but I think we have a defense that will keep us in a lot of games based on how well coached they are.

Special Teams: Echoes a lot of what I saw on defense. We looked well coached, we were in the right spot, we executed well, we didn’t make any stupid mistakes. We look organized as a unit. Which I know should be a given at the Power 5 level but we are coming off 5 years of complete ineptitude on the special teams so it was a breath of fresh air to see. I know a lot of people had a problem with the initial punt return but there really wasn’t much Billy could do on it. He was lined up at the 5 and the ball hit at around the 22 yard line and bounced 21 yards to the goal line. Overall, I saw some really good things from our special teams. Alvano looked poised and Buschini had some very solid punts. I don't think we'll be dropping many games this year due to special teams

Offense: Oh boy, I was very intrigued to see what the film would show. Are we really that bad? Well let’s dive into it. I don’t think we are a terrible offensive unit. We’re not great, but there were times we moved the ball pretty well against a very stout Minnesota defense. We have some issues on the OL. Namely, Turner Corcoran. I saw PFF gave him a 0.0 in Pass pro and I’m not sure how that’s even possible. He was bad, no doubt about that and if Teddy doesn’t come back soon we are in major trouble. He just looked totally lost out there, if he wasn’t getting beat with a spin move, or a inside dip, he was blocking the wrong guy or not blocking anyone at all. Henry Lutovsky was bad too. He couldn’t pull and whiffed on a lot of blocks. The rest of the unit I thought was much better, not great but not terrible. Benhart looked better, Piper, Nouilli and Scott seemed to hold down the fort inside and I liked what I saw from Justin Evans-Jenkins too. Piper’s false start may have cost us the game but I’ll get to that later. I saw a couple days ago that a radio commentator said something about Fidone and Thomas tweeted at him. Well Thomas, put your twitter on silent for awhile because you were awful. Now I understand he’s coming off an injury but that kid false started and cost us points on our first drive, whiffed on probably a dozen blocks on the perimeter and half the time looked like he didn’t even know what the play was. I couldn’t believe how bad he was. Him and Corcoran next to one another on the line was just asking for trouble. Really shocked at his performance, he looked like a walk on not a former #1 TE recruit. No targets, the plays that likely would have been drawn up for him went to Haarberg. Who looked like an athlete when thrown to. Now onto Jeff Sims. Was he horrible? Not really. I thought he played OK. He missed some throws, and his last interception was just a rookie mistake. He was feeling pressure up the middle, got on his back foot, stared down Marcus the entire time and the safety read him like a book for an easy pick. That was pretty egregious. The 1st one from what I saw he was getting greedy trying to get the 1st down on 3rd and long, held the ball a little long and his legs got tied up and sailed it. The 2nd one was bad, he made the wrong read and underthrew it. But here’s my biggest gripe about the offense. The Redzone. That final drive before half was just a comedy of errors. 1st we blow a timeout because we took too long to get the play in. Then we run it in for a touchdown and the ref gives us a crappy spot. Then we have the ball on the 1 and Piper false starts. Finally Jeff throws a pick. If we get a decent spot touchdown and we likely win the game. If Piper doesn’t jump, touchdown and we likely win the game. I know it’s easy to blame Jeff for the pick but if we get a decent spot or Piper doesn’t jump he’s never in that situation. But we still weren’t done screwing things up in the Red zone. Cut to the end of the 3rd quarter, start of the 4 quarter, Jeff hits Boerkircher on a crossing route after a great drive and we have 2nd and goal at the 4 yard line and a beautiful play set up for AG to basically get a walk in touch down that never happens because Boerkirhcer jumps. We then follow that up with not getting the play off in time on 3rd down and have to burn a timeout. The redzone offense was just abysmal Thursday night, If that doesn't improve we won't beat anyone. So while I don’t think Jeff played particularly well, I don’t think he deserves to be burned at the stake either. But he’s the QB and that’s how it works. You’re the hero in victory and the goat in defeat. I thought the backs all ran the ball pretty well. Piper whiffed on his block on the AG fumble and the kid was able to chase AG down and punch the ball out. It’s still on AG to hold onto the ball but if Piper does his job fumble probably doesn’t happen and we likely win. I think talent is an issue on offense as well. We don’t have many if any NFL guys at the skill spots. The offense has to run through Jeff, which I know we were all hoping it wouldn’t be like that but sadly it’s going to be boom or bust based on how he performs. I think Jeff ran really well, he had some good moments throwing the ball and some terrible moments. Like it or not if this offense is going to succeed this season it’s going to go through Jeff because he’s by far our best player on offense. Garrett has to get Jalen Lloyd and Malachi going, I think he will, hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

Overall: After I watched Scott Frost’s first game, I thought things were improved and thought for sure we would win 6 or so games that season. So I’m reticent to make a claim for how many games we should win. I think we are good enough to win 6 games. I don’t know if that will happen or not. I’ve seen a lot of gripes about Jeff, about Rhule for playing AG in crunch time, and Satterfield being a bad OC. Personally, I thought we had a pretty solid game plan. No one thought Satterfield was some offensive guru when Rhule hired him, he’s an experienced, solid power 5 OC that Matt knows and trusts. I don’t think he really had any bad calls. People were mad about the 3 pass and out series but the first 2 passes were there. The team just didn’t execute. We moved the ball well at times and were one stupid mistake away from beating a team that averages 8 wins a year. I thought we were the best team on the field that night but bottom line we just made too many mistakes. We really were just one false start, one less fumble away. Which I understand after you lose this way 26 times gets pretty old. So I don’t know what to think about the rest of the year. Wisconsin, Iowa, and Illinois all looked mediocre in their openers, and I don't see any of those games being out of reach, depends on how the team improves over the year. I think 8 wins probably wins the west this year and after Saturday, I honestly believe that it's wide open. But I also don’t think this Husker team has a whole lot of NFL talent and it will take some time to get more talent onto the team. The transfer class we took in is appearing pretty weak if we are being honest but then again Rhule always has said he wants to build with high schoolers. If we lose a couple more I could see Rhule saying screw it in a few weeks and seeing a bunch of freshman at wide receiver, defensive end and Offensive line. I am excited to see how this team improves over the year and I am impressed with the job Rhule has done so far. I know the last thing all of us want to hear is that we need to be patient but it’s all we can do at this point. Go Big Red!

Game Notes:

Special Teams:

Kickoff, Alvano kicks it to the 4, outside the near hash, Well covered, 43 and 33 break down nicely and make the stop at the 18.

Punt return, Kemp lined up at about the 10, ball hits at the 20 and takes about as good a bounce as it can and lands inside the 1. I actually don’t fault Billy for that. That was a really bad break.

Punt, Buschini kicks in 60 yards in the air, Gunnerson is in position to make the tackle but whiffs, Reimer and Hahn come flying in and tackle him at about the MN 18 yard line. Good coverage.

Field goal block, nothing noteworthy, chipshot field goal.

Kick Return, fielded at the 4, not particularly well blocked, missed a few, got it out to about the 17 yard line.

Field goal block, missed it short and left.

Kick Return, Rahmir fields it at the 2. Has some decent blocks set up Rahmir bounces it to the right side and brings it all the way down to the MN 35 yard line.

PAT. Alvano, good snap good hold kick is good.

Kickoff, Buschini kicks it a yard deep into the end zone, Mikai Gbayor comes flying down and makes a nice tackle at around the 18 yard line.

Punt Return, Billy fields it side steps a defender and gets about 5 yards.

Punt, Not the best protection, MN fair catch but we get bailed out with a roughing the kicker call.

Punt, Good protection, Lands on the 18, Coverage downs the ball there.

Field goal, Alvano, good snap, good hold, good kick, 3 points.

Kick off, Alvano, kicks it to the MN 5, really well covered, tackled at the 18.

Punt return, Billy fields it and spins out of a tackle, not much in terms of blocking, pick up of about 7 yards.

Punt, well protected, Not a great punt by Brian, takes an NU bounce and is well covered, downed at the 16

Punt return, Billy fair catches at the 32.

Pat block, Nothing to note.

Kick Return, Touchback.

Offense:

14 Personnel, QB sneak, Jeff pushes the pile 5 yards ahead to get out from the 1 yard line.

12 Personnel, Play action, Corcoran literally looks lost and doesn’t block anyone, Boerk needing the double team can’t hold the DE, Jeff pulls it and picks up 7 yards and the first down.

21 Personnel, Fidone flinches false start, 1st and 15 after the penalty.

11 Personnel, GT Counter, Jeff fakes the hand off to Rahmir and follows Piper and Corc, Piper picks up a guy, Corc whiffs, Jeff is fast enough for it not to matter, gets the edge and picks up 26 yards.

21 Personnel, Hand off to Rahmir, Corcoran gets beat across his face, Fidone whiffs on his block, Liebentritt can’t get to the next level because Fidone whiffs on his block, Right side of the line blocks well, Rahmir makes a guy miss to only lose 1 yard.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Fidone flexed out left, Power to the left, pulling Noulli, does a nice job and picks up his man, Corc whiffs on his block, Fidone whiffs on his block, AG spins out of a tackle to get back to the LOS.

12 Men in the huddle, 5 yard penalty, 3rd and 16.

Empty L, MN drops 8, NU runs a Mesh concept underneath (which is a man beater, probably needed to check out of the play Jeff) throws it a bit behind Bullock but there are a host of Gophers there to tackle him after a gain of about 8.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, bunch, might be a read, but Jeff pulls it and runs the end makes a nice play to trip Jeff up from behind, if not that could have gone for awhile, gain of 12, Well blocked from the line and Fidone gets a nice block on the perimeter.

21 Personnel, I formation, Looks like they tried to run the option, Jeff keeps it and picks up 7 yards. Scott with a nice block.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, motion IGC to the right, Swing pass to Rahmir out of the backfield, very poorly blocked by Bullock and IGC. Loss of 2.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, Play action, they Hit Haarberg in the flat, and pick up 10

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, motion Fidone L to R, Play action, Lutovsky goes to double the End instead of picking up the Mike backer and Scott can’t get over in time, Jeff does a beautiful job of stepping up in the pocket, IGC can’t hang on to it. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, fake the swing pass to the right, QB power, corner comes down and makes a great tackle and upends Jeff after about a 4 yard gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Jeff holds the ball a bit too long, Needs to check it down to Rahmir or Fidone in the flats, Likely got greedy because it’s 3rd down, His feet get wrapped up by a Gopher lineman and the ball sails on him. Billy was not open regardless. Likely just a case of him forcing it trying to get the 1st down. Needs to check it down. MN defender makes a great play. INT.

22 Personnel, Pistol, Looks like a switch zone, AG gets a hole and gains 9 yards, well blocked and executed.

22 Personnel, Double Tight, I formation, Dive to AG, corner comes around the edge and grabs him keeps it a gain of 2.

13 Personnel, JEJ in at TE, Motion TE, R to L, Jeff fakes to GE and barrels ahead for 5 yards. Gabe missed a block there, could have been 8 or 9 yards if he makes it.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Pass, MN brings pressure, Jeff gets it to IGC on a stick route for a pick up of 8

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, TE tight, QB Draw with Jeff, pick up of about 8.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Fidone flexed out on the outside, Jeff looks to the boundary side and hits Bullock on a post route for a pick up of 15.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, Pass, Jeff stares down IGC pretty bad right here. Throws it into double coverage and is almost picked. Incomplete.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, bunch, we try to shift late and Matt has to blow a time out. He’s visably pissed on the sideline.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Fidone tight to the left, QB draw, Jeff gets about 12 yards and gets out of bounds to stop the clock.

11 personnel, 3 by 1 R, Inside zone, Ervin takes it and breaks a few tackles to get down to the 3 yard line.

11 personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Ervin up the middle. Pretty terrible spot. He was clearly in. Down at the half yard line.

12 personnel, double tight, Piper clearly flinches, false start. 5 yard penalty. We have to burn our last timeout.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, Pass, Jeff sees the corner route wide open but doesn’t see the corner behind the outside line backer, he’s a touch late throwing it, easy pick, Boerk is open underneath. Interception.

21 Personnel, Pistol, 3 by 1 L, motions FB to the right, Fidone and Lieb lead blocking for AG, Lutovsky gets beat across his face, AG gets met in the backfield and gets back to the line of scrimmage.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Toss play right to AG, he postures up to throw it, he makes a catchable but not great throw to Jeff, who can’t bring it in. Jeff picks it up and rifles it to a wide open Bullock in the endzone for a Touchdown.

12 Personnel Double tights to the L, IGC motions from L to R, looks like a man indicator, Jeff looks left, Corc gets beat on an inside move and Jeff runs right into Benhart and his man sacked for a loss of 6.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Fidone flexed out in the slot, QB draw, picks up 7.

10 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, Malachi in at slot receiver, Pass, Corc gets beat with an inside spin move and Piper whiffs helping him out. MN sack when they only sent 3. Ugh. Malachi had a step on his defender, might have gone for 6 if we protected.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, double tight, inside zone to AG, well blocked, AG cuts it backside for a 6 yard gain.

12 Personnel, Ace formation, Inside zone to AG, Lutovsky gets beat across his face, guy dives at AG’s ankles and Scotts man cleans it up gain of about 2.

11 Personnel, Motion Kemp R to L, they went back to the Play action with Haarberg in the flat, MN D had it sniffed out, Corc and Benhart and Piper all get beat and there are 3 Gopher D lineman in Jeff’s face. Sacked for a loss of 7. I don’t know how you can call Donnie the “OL coach I’ve been looking for” after a play like that. Terrible.

11 Personnel, Motion Kemp L to R, Looks like Power to the left, Noulli whiffs on his pull block, Corcoran whiffs on his block on the lineback, Gabe runs over the linebacker and bounces it outside and picks up 27.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Double tights, Inside zone to Gabe, Fidone Whiffs on a block, Noulli’s guy fights off and dives at Gabe’s legs, pick up of 4.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, bunch, Fake power action, hands it to Jalen Lloyd on a reverse, Some poor blocking on the edge, we had the numbers could have been a big play, Lloyd picks up 10.

21 Personnel, I formation, play action, well protected, Jeff throws the ball on a post, ball is a little low and a bit behind could have possibly gone for a touchdown with better location. But still a solid pitch and catch for a 1st down.

12 Personnel, looks like a switch zone, Boerkercher misses his block, I’m not sure if AG was supposed to bounce that outside or not. Looks like the blocking was set up for the middle. Loss of 2.

11 Personnel, motion Kemp from R to L, Jeff fakes to Rahmir, Fidone pulls around to lead block to the left, Fidone runs up field to get the safety, looks like Kemp decided to not block anyone, may have been a touchdown had Billy picked up a block.

12 Personnel, motion Liebentritt R to L, double tights L, designed run with Jeff, he cuts it back backside, pretty well blocked, Jeff tries to get to the sideline as is tackled after a gain of 5. If he gets north and south on that he would have gotten a lot more.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L bunch, Looks like a zone read, Jeff keeps, Fidone whiffs on a block again, Jeff picks up about 7. Blocking on the perimeter was not good that night.

13 Personnel, Jumbo with JEJ at TE, Delayed hand off to Gabe, well blocked, especially by JEJ, pick up of 7.

12 Personnel, Ace formation, Play action, Jeff hits Boerk on a crossing route, a little out in front, Boerk makes a great play to haul it in, pick up of 5. Had IGC open in the back of the end zone. But still like the read.

12 Personnel, Double tights L, bunch, false start by Boerkerchir, drive killer, probably a walk in touch down for AG.

12 Personnel, Play action, Jeff’s first read isn’t there and protection breaks down, Nouili, Benhart, Corcs guys all come free, Jeff has to throw it into the stands. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, R, play clock runs down and Jeff has to call a timeout. Our redzone offense was absolutely terrible that night.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Looks like it’s supposed to be a draw to Jeff, MN brings 7 and they tackle him for no gain.

12 Personnel, ace formation, Play action, Jeff has Tommi Hill open on a deep ball and under throws him by 5 yards. Incomplete. Good throw and it’s a touchdown.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, play action, Linebacker makes a great play to tip the pass, Jeff had Billy open over the the middle. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Shallow crossing route to Washington, poorly blocked on the perimeter, by Bullock and Kemp, no gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Billy motions L to R, Scott and Benhart both pull to the left, AG gets the hand off left, Bullock whiffs on a block and Benhart has to shore that up, allows the corner to come flying in and make a tackle for a gain of 2.

13 Personnel, Jumbo set with JEJ, Triple tights to the left, delayed handoff to Gabe, pretty well blocked and defended, gain of 4.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, Pass, Jeff looks left and checks it down to Rahmir out of the backfield. Gain of 6 and a 1st down.

We are late getting the play in and burn our 2nd timeout.

13 Personnel, Jumbo with JEJ, Triple Tights to the R, We run Power with AG, Piper whiffs on his block and the kid chases down AG and punches the ball out. Fumble. Kid made a great play and AG didn’t have the ball tucked. Killer.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, QB draw, Ben Scott misses a block, gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, TE tight, Not sure what was supposed to be happening on this one, Looks like Corc blocks the wrong guy and the DE has a free run to Jeff, Jeff scrambles right and makes a great play to pick up 9 and the first down.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, TE flexed, Pass, Jeff hits Marcus on a post route, I think he’s reading the outside backer and because the backer picked up Rahmir out of the backfield he hit Marcus for the 1st down.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, bunch form, Run, Backside defender comes in unblocked. With where Jeff was lined up I don’t think it was a zone read, I think Fidone just didn’t block the right guy. I’m really tired of writing that…

11 Personnel 2 by 2, Pass, Jeff appears to get happy feet, throws off his back foot into triple coverage. The safety read him the whole way and jumped the route. Pretty rookie mistake, He’s gotta look off the safety in that situation. This was by far the worst pick he threw.

Defense:

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, MN TE flexed out, NU in 4 down, DE’s in 5 technique, DT’s in a 1 and 3 technique, NU with only 4 in the box, corners playing in about 3 to 5 yards off, Safeties at 11 yards, Rover about 8 yards, backers just outside the box about 4 yards off. MN hits TE on a stick route for 6 yards. Reimer with a nice tackle and Giff comes in and helps him clean it up

12 Personnel, Ace formation, NU lines up in 4 down, safeties are moved up, MN runs Power to the Left, pulls RG and RTE, Reimer does a nice job of filling and taking on RTE, Omar Brown comes in and kind of whiffs on an arm tackle, Reimer does a nice job of getting off his block and making the tackle after a gain of 1.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, 4 down, NU pressures with Gifford on weak side, Ty Robinson goes unblocked and almost gets to Q, takes his hot on the slant, Omar Brown just a little late getting there, 1st down Gophers.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 R bunched up around the football, 3 down for NU, 6 in the box, Looks like outside zone, hand off, Nash is in the backfield for a TFL, but falls down and back gets away, MN wr gets away with a clear block in the back on Hartzog, Bullock makes a helluva play to fight off a block and get to the RB, Giff and Singleton clean it up. Gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, PA pass, Ty and Nash do a great job getting pressure up the middle to hurry Q, MN wr there on a comeback route but the hurry forces a bad throw, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 5 down, NU brings pressure, pocket collapses, MN OL gets away with what looks like a hold on Jeudy, MN Q scrambles for 10. 1st down.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, MN runs inside zone, Javin Wright slow plays Q, hands it to RB, Nash does a great job getting off his block and stuffing the run for a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 5 down, Looks to be an RPO, MN hits the WR screen on the outside, ball is trhown low and Hartzog comes in and gets a TFL.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 3 down showing pressure, sends 4, MN QB throws it into a crowd of Huskers, incomplete. Forces the Punt.

12 Personnel, Double Tight L, NU in 3 down showing pressure with Jack and Will backers, MN runs inside zone, NU DL bogs down the lines, RB cuts backside, Singleton comes flying in and makes a nice tackle after a gain of 2.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, play action, MN has 6 guys in to protect, our 4 can’t get to Q, easy throw for about 25 on a dig route. 1st down

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Runs power to the Left using that backside TE as a lead blocker, MN does a nice job getting hat on hat, Singleton and Borders get him after a gain of 7.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 bunched, NU 5 down, Play action, MN slot fakes a block and sits backside TE runs to the flat, not sure who is supposed to have him there, hard to say if that is man or zone. Singleton and Bullock come down and make the tackle for no gain.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, TE flexed out, NU in 4 down, NU pressures with 6, MN WR beats Newsome on a slant for a 5 yard gain.

12 Personnel, double tight L, NU in 4 down, MN inside zone, Javin Wright fills really nicely, but gets cut down, Omar Brown comes down and makes a nice tackle after a gain of about 5.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 R, NU in 5 down, Play action to the Right and MN wanted to hit their TE out in the flat but Javin Wright blew up the play for an incompletion.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, MN running mesh concept, Omar Brown got cut off by the Mesh and they hit the mesh route undeneath for a gain of about 10.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 4 down, MN runs Power to the right, really well blocked, Giff whiffs on a tackle after about 3 yeards and Princewill and Tommy Lee get him after about a gain of 11.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 bunch, NU in 3 down, play action, MN hits a receiver on a drag route, Hartzog looks a bit confuesed but gets to him in pursuit after a gain of about 7.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R Bunch, NU in 5 down, MN fakes Power to the right, and runs a reverse to the wide receiver to the right side. NU not fooled at all Giff makes a shoe string tackle for a loss of 5.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 6 down showing pressure, sends 4, Pass, MN hits the slot receiver on stick route looks like Ethan Nation got a little out of position but was there to make the tackle short of the line to gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 4 down showing pressure, Inside Zone, MN OL takes care of our DL, Giff and Bullock take him down after a gain of 5

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tight, NU in 3 down, Clapping infraction on Reimer, 5 yard penalty

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, inside zone, Bullock crashes on the RB, MN Q keeps it, and he slides after picking up the first to avoid Omar Brown’s tackle.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tight Nebraska in 5 down, Pass, all day to throw, NU brings 4, MN Q sails it over receivers head who is well covered by Tommi Hill,

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, delayed hand off to RB, Gunnerson does a really nice job of fighting off a block and getting to the back for a gain of 1.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, Pass, Ty goes basically unblocked to the Q, he rolls right and hits receiver for just enough for a 1st down. Tommi Hill on coverage.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, NU in 4 down, Play action, NU sends 6, MJ whiffs on a sack, MN Q has to throw it into the bleachers. Incomplete.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L bunch, NU in 3 down, 6 in the box, MN runs Power to the right, Nash does a beautiful job getting off his block and stopping the back for a 2 yard gain.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Pass, NU drops into zone, MN Q makes a great throw over to the left and Hartzog falls down, Javin Wright and a few other Huskers get to him in pursuit. Gain of 15.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 R, NU in 3 down, Pass, MN max protects, Jeudy Gets through hurries him for an incompletion.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 R, bunch, NU in 4 down, looks like a switch zone, Omar does a nice job of forcing the RB inside Tommi Hill fills and makes a nice tackle for no gain.

11 Personnel 2 by 2 L, NU in 6 down showing pressure, sends 4, Pass, MN Q wants his slot receiver on a skinny post, Omar right there, incomplete.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 R, double tights, MN runs a switch zone, Ty beats his man across his face, Cam Lendhart grabs him and is dragged 4 yards ahead. Not the best tackle in the world but it worked. 4 yard gain.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 L, double tights, play action, MN Q wants his man on an out route but the ball is short, incomplete.

11 Personnel 3 by 1 L, NU 3 front, sends 4, MN has WR screen set up on the left side, Reimer and Omar Brown make a great play and get a stop for no gain. 3 and out.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 4 front, play action, his slant route isn’t there due to good coverage by Reimer and the secondary, has plenty of time to reset and throw a completion to another receiver sitting in a hole of the zone. 1st down.

12 Personnel, double tights R, 2 by 2, NU 4 front, play action, NU all over it, nobody open throws it into the stands incomplete.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU 5 front, Power to the R, Nash blows the whole play up by knocking back his man 2 yards into the backfield, RB does a nice job of finding daylight, Giff and crew clean it up after a gain of 2.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, NU brings 4, Pass, MN Q finds the TE sitting in the soft spot of the zone for a gain of 12. First down. Ty gets ejected for a roughing the passer and targeting call.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 L bunch, NU 5 front, Play action off IZ, MN max protects, they do that a lot, kid makes a helluva throw and catch on the sideline for about a 25 yard gain. 1st down.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2 double tights, Ace formation, NU 4 front, switch zone, Singleton does a great job getting through and making a tackle and Gunnerson does a good job of fighting off his block and making a tackle.

12 Personnel 2 by 2 double tights R, NU 5 front, Play action, Slot runs a post corner off of what looks like a scissors concept, Omar recognizes it the whole way, jumps the route. Interception. Great play by Omar, MN max protects a lot.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, bunch, NU 3 front, Pass, MN Q wants his outside receiver on a 7 yard out route, well defended by Malcom Hartzog, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, 4 front for NU, Screen set up to the left, But I believe there is a pre snap check that MN Q has, Newsome playing about 9 yards off so the lone receiver just has a stick route for free yardage. Kid hears footsteps from Newsome and Singleton and drops the ball. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 6 front, showing pressure, NU brings 6, Ball is tipped away by J Bullock and falls incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU 3 front, pass, spacing concept, throws it to TE for a gain of 5. Well covered and tackled by NU.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, Pass, appears to check down to RB on a swing, tackled by Singleton after a gain 6.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, Left tackle false started, no call, pass, well covered, MN Q steps up and Gunnerson gets to him for a sack.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU 3 front, showing blitz, Looks like they went back to that RB screen on the R and stick route on the left, I assume, if the corner is 7+ yards off it’s an automatic check to the stick route. 7 yard gain.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, Tight L, NU 3 front, inside zone, Cam squeezes on the back and MN Q dives ahead for a 6 yard gain and a 1st down. Newsome on the tackle.

12 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, 3 front for NU, play action, MN max protects, Goes deep, well covered by Omar, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, bunched, NU 3 front, Pass, NU brings 6, Minnesota has hat on hat, coverage down field is good, MN Q makes a great play to evade the rush, get out of the pocket and throw it away. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 4 front, showing blitz, Pass, Nash splits the double team, and Princewill is right behind him for a huge sack.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in a 4 front, switch zone, Omar and Reimer get to him after a gain of 3.

12 Personnel 3 by 1 R, bunch, 3 front NU, play action, all day to throw, Singleton makes a great play on the ball, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 R, NU 4 front, Pass, Throws to slow receiver underneath, not the best tackling, receiver stretches out just short of the line to gain.

13 Personnel, Jumbo, NU 4 front, double tights to the R, NU flies in but RB gets it on a second effort, 15 yard facemask on Cam, as he’s getting held like crazy.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU 3 front, Pass, MN Q hits back out of the backfield and he can’t bring it in. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU 3 front, Pass, TE leaks out and replaces the blitzing NU backers, after some not so great tackling he picks up 15 yards.

12 Personnel, Double tights L, 3 by 1 L, NU 5 front, Play action, scissors concept it looks like, kid makes an incredible catch but can’t keep his feet in. Incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, 3 front for NU, Pass, Looking for TE on a stick route, pass dropped, decent coverage, incomplete.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 L, NU in 3 down, Pass, thrown into double coverage, Gifford has it and then drops it, incomplete. Not an easy catch to make, would have been a helluva play for him to grab it.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, Malcom gets burned and kid makes an incredible grab. Touchdown, Left tackle definitely got going early there. Should have been a false start.

12 Personnel, 2 by 2, TE tight L, NU 4 front, Pass, Hits TE in the flat, we miss a tackle and he picks up 9 yards.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, easy out to the sideline, picks up 5 yards.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2, NU in 3 down, Pass, hits back out of the backfield on a flare, picks up 5 yards. I really like this playcalling by Minnesota. Just easy reads and getting out of bounds every time.

11 Personnel, 2 by 2 L, NU in 4 down, NU pressures, and Reimer gets the sack for a loss of 3 yards.

11 Personnel, False start, MN 5 yard penalty.

11 Personnel, 3 by 1 R, NU in 4 down, They run the ball, Cam Lenhardt and John Bullock miss tackles, Gifford gets him after a gain of 12. Killer play.
impressive step brothers GIF

Thank you for posting! It's great having someone on here with solid football knowledge who can give it to us straight.

With that said, Fidone being a trainwreck is the most Nebraska thing ever. Only we can get coveted blue chip receipts only to have them fail at the next level. Here's young but for once I'd love to have an immediate gamer step up.

You put me at ease regarding the offense, it's never as bad as it seems. I'm thankful that we're at least a physical team. If we lose Saturday we better make those fūckers feel it.

Great analysis! Thanks for going through all the work. Pretty spot on from what I could tell

Thanks so much for posting this. It deserves more views than it has received.

My casual impression during the first half was that Rhule was playing it very conservative. I don't know if he wanted to withstand what he felt was going to be an emotional start by Minnesota, or what. Maybe Simms wasn't trusting anybody in the beginning. Once they settled down in the second half they definitely looked like a better team.

Just rewatched the game myself. Yikes...Corcoran is truly awful. He made Benhart seem like an All B1G lineman.

Agreed on Fidone looking rather awful too, especially whiffing on so many blocks as a te that just can't cut it. Boerkircher def seems the better te thus far. Hopefully it was just first game stuff for Fidone that he cleans up quick.

Where tf was Bonner??? I thought in camp they were using him all sorts starting in backfield as fb then splitting out in the slot or as wingback. Nothing this last game from what I could tell.

Lots of Sims errors can and should be fixed. I think we really need to shuffle the o line though...Corcoran is either a guard truly, or simply worthless at this point. Would rather see Knaak or even Gottula.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Just rewatched the game myself. Yikes...Corcoran is truly awful. He made Benhart seem like an All B1G lineman.

Agreed on Fidone looking rather awful too, especially whiffing on so many blocks as a te that just can't cut it. Boerkircher def seems the better te thus far. Hopefully it was just first game stuff for Fidone that he cleans up quick.

Where tf was Bonner??? I thought in camp they were using him all sorts starting in backfield as fb then splitting out in the slot or as wingback. Nothing this last game from what I could tell.

Lots of Sims errors can and should be fixed. I think we really need to shuffle the o line though...Corcoran is either a guard truly, or simply worthless at this point. Would rather see Knaak or even Gottula.
Yeah, not sure what the hell his deal is. It's like buddy, do you want to try and get to the NFL or not. Everyone struggles at times, but you just are bad. Play anyone else than Corc

Great read and we appreciate all the work! The ONLY bone I have to pick is I'm still steamed about the three pass plays in the 4th quarter. We just had an 80 yard drive the series before that was 9 runs and 3 passes. Rhule talked all camp about owning the 4th Q and wearing people down, etc. and then Sat goes all Whipple on us. I know the passes were there, but the series IMHO should have featured the run game.

This is a more in depth write up then what I would usually see for varsity scouting reports! Ha. Impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT