ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching...

c'mon.. he was looking to hire MJ.. the team responded and was playing about as good as they could.

Then when CT got hurt. Whipple broke under the pressure. His QB room was unprepared, He had multiple meltdowns during gamedays and during weekly preparations. His play calling also became erratic and he became a liability to the entire team.

It was at this point that Ted Carter pulled the whole thing in another direction.

For sure Whip was not going to be on MJ's new staff but Whip pretty much derailed everything from within.
Wait, so MJ was going to be hired, but Whipple (who wasn't going to be on MJs staff anyway) derailed the decision to hire MJ?

Is this real or only a fiction story? And if real how nice of Carter to make the decision just to leave for a conference foe in a few months.
What part of that do you think is fiction?

The events with Whipple were pretty well documented.. Remember Mickey didn't hire the Frost staff, he fired the DC and replaced him with Busch who was already on staff in another role. Mickey didn't have another guy to replace Whipple, so he had to sort of ride out the storm with him.

Whipple put Purdy out there in a game when apparently Purdy was still coming off injury and hadn't prepared all week. Most thought Smothers should have gone out, but there was a whole lot of 'commotion' going on.. which I think continued after CT's return from injury, as there were some issues between Whip and CT, where they just wanted him to throw bombs for Palmer to go get, and Whip was quite the angry sob.. I can only presume CT's injury wasn't fully healed either, as he had surgery after the season..

Leading up to this time, there was a lot of camaraderie with Trev Alberts and Mickey Joseph.. presenting game balls, dancing in the locker room, as the team came together and played about as well as they could after Mickey made the change to Bill to run the defense.

Do you remember Whipple flat out saying he was going to ride Mickeys coat tails? It's in an interview out there.. pretty clear to me that was not going to happen after the OC's implosion.

Then post Rhule hire, you have Ted Carter making statements about how he knew of Matt Rhule from his time at Temple and how he met and admired him then.. Somewhere in the transition, the athletic duties were shifted by Ted Carter and then he made another statement about how Matt Rhule was for sure the right coach at the right time.. this came out in June I think.. The timing seemed odd, not sure what the impetus was, but in this interview TC says it was Trev's hire and he and the regents were kept involved, but I personally don't believe it was Trev's pick.

Remember this is the same Ted Carter that told Rhule he was going to be here to support him, and 8 months later announces he is leaving. I guess it is up to you if you want to believe anything Ted Carter says and hold this over Trev or not.

Trev is a Husker and deeply cares about the program and has something to lose.. Ted Carter has no skin in the game and in his interviews discussed how college football was changing and to me, he all of a sudden in the last 8 months, had a big interest in college football, where the years before that, he was basically invisible.

I personally think Ted Carter has been grifting off the program (as all Presidents do) and now after becoming well connected in the Big Ten.. jumps ship to Ohio State.

Trev on the other hand, has a history of doing what his boss tells him to do (See UNO football) and I don't think for a minute that Trev wasn't told mid season to go after Rhule and that he was the preferred candidate.

In fact, Rhule flat out didn't want to come here. Then they worked on his wife.. sold her on stability and family values and it was her input then, that forced Matt to reconsider. She told him that he better not 'screw this up' or something to that effect.

Anyway, these are all little pieces of the puzzle that start to paint a picture. I know the fanbase has been fed a ton of Rhuleaid.. and I mean gobs and gobs of it the past 8 months. I guess you can believe what you want to believe.. what makes the most sense to you and who do you want to blame or hold accountable?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Did Ted Carter think Whipple was going to be retained under HCMJ?
That I don't know.. Mickey publicly backed him, but I think he had to, there was no one else to turn to for OC duties.

I think MJ had to play some politics there. Whip was prone to outbursts and anyone challenging his authority.

Remember Whip was brought in under the premise that it was His Offense (because they took it all away from Scott, in order to give him another year).

That I don't know.. Mickey publicly backed him, but I think he had to, there was no one else to turn to for OC duties.

I think MJ had to play some politics there. Whip was prone to outbursts and anyone challenging his authority.

Remember Whip was brought in under the premise that it was His Offense (because they took it all away from Scott, in order to give him another year).
Why wouldn't Trev, Carter and MJ just have these conversations (MJs future staff as head coach) in private without Whipple even knowing?

Carter couldn't see past MJ having to play some politics?

The events with Whipple were pretty well documented.. Remember Mickey didn't hire the Frost staff, he fired the DC and replaced him with Busch who was already on staff in another role. Mickey didn't have another guy to replace Whipple, so he had to sort of ride out the storm with him.

Whipple put Purdy out there in a game when apparently Purdy was still coming off injury and hadn't prepared all week. Most thought Smothers should have gone out, but there was a whole lot of 'commotion' going on.. which I think continued after CT's return from injury, as there were some issues between Whip and CT, where they just wanted him to throw bombs for Palmer to go get, and Whip was quite the angry sob.. I can only presume CT's injury wasn't fully healed either, as he had surgery after the season..

Leading up to this time, there was a lot of camaraderie with Trev Alberts and Mickey Joseph.. presenting game balls, dancing in the locker room, as the team came together and played about as well as they could after Mickey made the change to Bill to run the defense.

Do you remember Whipple flat out saying he was going to ride Mickeys coat tails? It's in an interview out there.. pretty clear to me that was not going to happen after the OC's implosion.

Then post Rhule hire, you have Ted Carter making statements about how he knew of Matt Rhule from his time at Temple and how he met and admired him then.. Somewhere in the transition, the athletic duties were shifted by Ted Carter and then he made another statement about how Matt Rhule was for sure the right coach at the right time.. this came out in June I think.. The timing seemed odd, not sure what the impetus was, but in this interview TC says it was Trev's hire and he and the regents were kept involved, but I personally don't believe it was Trev's pick.

Remember this is the same Ted Carter that told Rhule he was going to be here to support him, and 8 months later announces he is leaving. I guess it is up to you if you want to believe anything Ted Carter says and hold this over Trev or not.

Trev is a Husker and deeply cares about the program and has something to lose.. Ted Carter has no skin in the game and in his interviews discussed how college football was changing and to me, he all of a sudden in the last 8 months, had a big interest in college football, where the years before that, he was basically invisible.

I personally think Ted Carter has been grifting off the program (as all Presidents do) and now after becoming well connected in the Big Ten.. jumps ship to Ohio State.

Trev on the other hand, has a history of doing what his boss tells him to do (See UNO football) and I don't think for a minute that Trev wasn't told mid season to go after Rhule and that he was the preferred candidate.

In fact, Rhule flat out didn't want to come here. Then they worked on his wife.. sold her on stability and family values and it was her input then, that forced Matt to reconsider. She told him that he better not 'screw this up' or something to that effect.

Anyway, these are all little pieces of the puzzle that start to paint a picture. I know the fanbase has been fed a ton of Rhuleaid.. and I mean gobs and gobs of it the past 8 months. I guess you can believe what you want to believe.. what makes the most sense to you and who do you want to blame or hold accountable?
Hmm, on here a couple days ago I made comment that MJ and Busch had at least got the team pointed in the right direction after Frost was removed. I was called stupid and mocked by other Nebraska fans. So which way is it? I’m starting to believe the outsiders that say the Nebraska fan base is ridiculous.
I think MJ is a good leader and above average recruiter but I don’t think Alberts considered him to be the next head coach. We are out of time to be a training ground for head coaches.
In terms of Alberts and UNO, the school decided to move to Div 1 and told Trev what needed to take place to make it happen. What was he going to do, say he wasn’t going to carry the plan out and be fired???

Hmm, on here a couple days ago I made comment that MJ and Busch had at least got the team pointed in the right direction after Frost was removed. I was called stupid and mocked by other Nebraska fans.
No, you got mocked because you thought Frost shouldn't be blamed anymore because he's been gone for 11 months.

Reactions: leodisflowers
So you do not deny that MJ got things at the least started in the right direction?
Haha, you're trying to change the subject as to WHY you were called a retard.

The program was better in MJs hands than they were in Frost's hands. MJ did a fine job getting the program headed into a better direction.

Haha, you're trying to change the subject as to WHY you were called a retard.

The program was better in MJs hands than they were in Frost's hands. MJ did a fine job getting the program headed into a better direction.
You need to move on. You just admitted MJ improved things, and if he did why should everyone blame Frost for things today if MJ improved them? That’s saying the program has regressed since November 2022. If that is how you feel come out and say it instead of calling people “retard” on here like you are an immature small minded people. Use your words instead of tossing insults.

MJ was going to be hired, but Whipple's meltdown derailed Trev's plan to hire MJ, as Ted Carter intervened in the process.

But this is just your opinion deduced from reading the tea leaves...not based on some sort of insider info, correct?

I could just as easily reach the conclusion that they did, in fact, give MJ their full support until at some point it became clear that he wasn't ready for the job, at which time they all collectively decided they needed to go a different direction. That's what most rational NU fans were doing, don't know why the NU AD would have been any different.

I also know with about 100% certainty that is wasn't just MJ or Rhule, there were other candidates in play. Now, it may have been that Ted Carter was dug in on Rhule the most and started pushing him above all other candidates. But there's a lot of daylight between the decision MJ wasn't the man and landing on Rhule.

You need to move on. You just admitted MJ improved things, and if he did why should everyone blame Frost for things today if MJ improved them? That’s saying the program has regressed since November 2022. If that is how you feel come out and say it instead of calling people “retard” on here like you are an immature small minded people. Use your words instead of tossing insults.
Haha, improving something doesn't mean it's good to go.

On a scale from 1-10, Frost had the program at a 3 (at best) and MJ brought it to a 4.5, maybe 5 (which is just fine considering his situation). Just because MJ made it was better, but it doesn't mean it was good. That's why Frost still gets the blame.

No, that's not saying the program has regressed since Nov 2022. There's no way to know that yet.

I never called you retarded nor do I think you're one. I do think you're quite sensitive & misguided on what people are actually saying to you. At this point I'm starting to think you're Scott Shanle Winking

Reactions: JOHNNY N
That fumble was a pivotal moment for Grant. It will make or break his future here. I’m hopeful it was the sobering moment that lights a fire under him.

Reactions: Laner2
They should know what they have in quarterback and know that was a low low low percentage play.

The field goal should have been kicked
2nd and goal with 11 seconds in the half and no timeouts is 100% a pass play call. You always take that opportunity for the TD. Maybe they did not communicate well with Sims and emphasize quick, down, and low or out of the back of the end zone? Sims absolutely had the TE open in front of him for a very low risk pass and flat missed the read.

A ton of speculation and hearsay in this. I am sure you can back it all up, until then, it is like most everything else, a bunch of social media chatter devoid of facts. Where are the "events documented" with Whipple? If they are, it should be readily available to distribute. Then you use the word "apparently" which means you really don't know.

The program was likely in complete disarray about this time last year. That is a given but to speculate about what each of these people did or said behind the scenes is nonsense and non profitable. It lends itself to making the pieces fit however one wants them to fit.

A ton of speculation and hearsay in this. I am sure you can back it all up, until then, it is like most everything else, a bunch of social media chatter devoid of facts. Where are the "events documented" with Whipple? If they are, it should be readily available to distribute. Then you use the word "apparently" which means you really don't know.

The program was likely in complete disarray about this time last year. That is a given but to speculate about what each of these people did or said behind the scenes is nonsense and non profitable. It lends itself to making the pieces fit however one wants them to fit.
He's guessing

2nd and goal with 11 seconds in the half and no timeouts is 100% a pass play call. You always take that opportunity for the TD. Maybe they did not communicate well with Sims and emphasize quick, down, and low or out of the back of the end zone? Sims absolutely had the TE open in front of him for a very low risk pass and flat missed the read.
Being a top player in a big time atmosphere is not for everyone! The interceptions, fumbles, 2 illegal motions can be part of the game if you overcome them! The Huskers didn't & do I think they can learn from these mistakes? No, Frost flourished because a Qback named Milton Mckenzie, who was a quick thinker, quick athlete, & they don't come along that often! Sims, is a nice young man, but I wouldn't put my future in his Qback hands or his decisions! Each bad thing above that happened has been gone over in practice & still they happened! Players make plays! PERIOD!

What part of that do you think is fiction? Specifically?

See, you just sit there and throw out accusations, but if you want to go point by point on it, let me know what you don't agree with.

I'm not going to do a research paper with footnotes for everyone.. if it's that you just don't agree, that's cool.. move on to the next thread.

Why wouldn't Trev, Carter and MJ just have these conversations (MJs future staff as head coach) in private without Whipple even knowing?

Carter couldn't see past MJ having to play some politics?
I don't know that. MJ did say that he had no communication from anyone once things started unraveling with Whip.

Look, the important point in all of this is not to rehash MJ, it's that I believe Rhule was a Ted Carter hire.

IF you want to believe it was Trev Alberts, that's your perrogative.

I just happen to think there is enough circumstantial evidence to say it was Ted.

If you believe it was Trev, then you realize that you have to get rid of Trev one day to get a different coach at some point in the future.

To me, it really doesn't matter. We either have a winner in Rhule or we don't. Who gets credit for the hire is completely irrelevant.

Usually when a football coach is replaced, the AD is also replaced as the two are tied together.

This is the part that I am trying to interrupt the thinking on.

I mean, isn't that what any Husker fan that knows anything about football wanted last season? Sure makes even more sense now that we see what Trey Palmer is doing in the NFL. This only boosts my opinion of Whipple. Not sure what CT's deal was that should have been a dream scenario for him.

Usually when a football coach is replaced, the AD is also replaced as the two are tied together.

This is the part that I am trying to interrupt the thinking on.
Sure, I get that. It still doesn't really matter to me. Just find one to get us a good coach, which I think we have with Rhule & Trev will get credit.

The first one would have been so easy if you just call timeout, get everyone where you need them to be without rushing, and watch your 6 foot 4 230 LB QB end up three yards into the end zone on a sneak.

There was zero reason to run a hurry up sneak there, esp on the road in game one.
And if he didn't make it, the clock runs out and you don't score.

I mean, isn't that what any Husker fan that knows anything about football wanted last season? Sure makes even more sense now that we see what Trey Palmer is doing in the NFL. This only boosts my opinion of Whipple. Not sure what CT's deal was that should have been a dream scenario for him.
I think the main problem with Whip was he was not flexible in his approach.. when CT went down, he sort of panicked and blamed everyone else for why his offense imploded. I thought the guy was a clown personally.

Mickey MIGHT have had a shot IF he had gotten us to a bowl game. That said, I don’t think he would have worked out from an organizational standpoint. Clearly we dodged a bullet with his personal issues.

What part of that do you think is fiction? Specifically?

See, you just sit there and throw out accusations, but if you want to go point by point on it, let me know what you don't agree with.

I'm not going to do a research paper with footnotes for everyone.. if it's that you just don't agree, that's cool.. move on to the next thread.
Ok, so you write a piece filled with speculation and innuendo with no evidence to back it up and when people call you on it, we have to provide the data to disprove specualtion?

The program and team was in obvious free-fall with a fired HC and then a fired DC. There was enough disfunction to go around. Whip somehow is the bad guy, right or wrong. Yet, he had a RB run for over 900 yards and a 1,000 receiver. All of this with a questionable O line. He was the OC and can do whatever he wants to manage the O, that's his job. It's all over, I don't see the point of rehashing the dysfunctional past and making it fit some narrative.

I just have to be as honest as I possibly can be this coaching is suspect at best. I've seen enough boneheaded calls and substitutions from the last 4 coaches to last a lifetime. There are three clear displays of poor coaching:

1.) It's inexcusable to give up 3 points at the end of the half with a boneheaded passing call which resulted in an INT instead of 3 points.
2.) It is then further inexcusable to have a fumble prone running back in the game in the fourth quarter when you are trying to ice it.
3.) The last straw is having a struggling quarterback in the passing game pass at a critical juncture of the game resulting in a further INT allowing Minnesota to win the game.

These are the three key plays in the ballgame. Nebraska continues to beat itself.
to play devil's advocate:

1) i like the courage to go for a touchdown. i don't like that the clock/timeout situation necessitated a pass, and frankly we were hosed on the previous play not being ruled a TD. regardless, if you're playing to win you need a TD there if you still have downs

2) hard to say on this one. if you've been a part of a football team, there are details in the game that will just never be made available to fans. Maybe Ervin was suffering cramps

3) had to pass at that point with the clock situation. i don't fault the play-calling as much as i fault Sims refusing to not stare at his first read. for all you know, he progresses that read in practice when pressure is lower and it is the price of tuition for coaches to learn this is how he is in game

at the end of the day, these problems came down to performance moreso than coaching. i loved that the lads looked fired up and quick to the ball out there, which feels more indicative on coaching than a shitty QB and fumbly RB.

Mickey MIGHT have had a shot IF he had gotten us to a bowl game. That said, I don’t think he would have worked out from an organizational standpoint. Clearly we dodged a bullet with his personal issues.
I disagree with every sentence.

If Kansas wins Saturday and Nebraska losses, can we just trade Rhule for Leipold and not pay the $75 million??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT