ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching...

Legitimate question here JOHNNY.

Out of 1,000 guys on this board, how many of us would have had Grant carrying the ball with the game on the line?
Don't know. How many of those 1k watched the last week and half of practice? How many of those 1k have developed of close personal relationship with a young man they know can help them win?

Still, it's a tough look for Rhule. It will be even tougher if GE amd RJ aren't getting the majority of touches Saturday.

This team doesn’t have the running backs, and certainly not the OL, that Osborne had. I don’t think they can just run it down the throat of other teams.
we had the running backs, but he let 2 talented guys leave.. Just like he let 2 decent QB's leave and kept the dead weight at that position too. There have been question marks on their offensive approach the entire off season, starting with retaining the OL coach, and we all know what that was really about. Also look at what happened to the WR room..

Me too. I know exactly what the coaches should've done.

That said, it's a pretty tough look when the guy you called out for fumbling in practice is in a position to fumble in crunch time.

The rb rotation Thursday wasn’t exactly what the coaches made it sound like it was gonna be.
I think most of us felt it would be Ervin and Rahmir with a bunch of Sims mixed in and Grant would be in when the thing had been decided.

If the coaches don't want to be subjected to our expert post-game analysis, they need to quit feeding us raw meat to chew on.

By any accounts I’ve read or heard Sims was not having those passing problems in practice. So it’s hindsight to say they shouldn’t have called those plays.
Yeah. I am pretty close to a current player on the team. That is bullshit. Media and coach crap. He is having seroius problems. The qb he "beat out" ( he sucks as well ), however, he threw 5 Td's yesterday. Don't believe everything you hear. The dude leads the nation in turnovers and he has been having that issue in practice on a daily basis.

I think most of us felt it would be Ervin and Rahmir with a bunch of Sims mixed in and Grant would be in when the thing had been decided.

If the coaches don't want to be subjected to our expert post-game analysis, they need to quit feeding us raw meat to chew on.
I don't think the coaches care about our post game break downs

Sad Michael Scott GIF

Don't know. How many of those 1k watched the last week and half of practice? How many of those 1k have developed of close personal relationship with a young man they know can help them win?

Still, it's a tough look for Rhule. It will be even tougher if GE amd RJ aren't getting the majority of touches Saturday.
Maybe its that same close personal relationship with some of the OLmen that keep them on the field, not producing and making mistakes?

Say if Sims and Rahmir were cramping up and Ervin had packed the ball 25 times, the case could be made to have Grant in at crunch time. The sheer lack of carries by our #1 amd #2 RB's is a head scratcher.

They made a personnel mistake and the entire team paid for it.

Maybe its that same close personal relationship with some of the OLmen that keep them on the field, not producing and making mistakes?

Say if Sims and Rahmir were cramping up and Ervin had packed the ball 25 times, the case could be made to have Grant in at crunch time. The sheer lack of carries by our #1 amd #2 RB's is a head scratcher.

They made a personnel mistake and the entire team paid for it.
I have no clue what the 2nd group of OL is like. They're pretty young. Maybe they should roll with some of them. We've seen a lot of current group.

I have no clue what the 2nd group of OL is like. They're pretty young. Maybe they should roll with some of them. We've seen a lot of current group.
I'm not a guy for making changes just to make changes.

But, you're right, we've seen about everything that first team OL has to offer.

As an example.
If Corcoran scores a 0 in pass pro and I haven't exactly seen him as a road grader moving people out, then what could be the harm with giving a young guy a chance with the rest of the first unit?

Clearly, the young guy could likewise score a 0 in pass pro, and he might even neutralize that run position.

As a former coach, I'd just as soon try it a series or two now, than have to wait until one of the big uglies goes down with an injury and have to insert them when the game is on the line.

They could still use a guy like Corcoran in short yardage as a hybrid TE on the line and get him some reps.

I'll be interested in this week's depth chart. Let's see if things are status quo, or if in fact, things get tweaked.

Last edited:
we had the running backs, but he let 2 talented guys leave.. Just like he let 2 decent QB's leave and kept the dead weight at that position too. There have been question marks on their offensive approach the entire off season, starting with retaining the OL coach, and we all know what that was really about. Also look at what happened to the WR room..
You look at Saturday's game from the eyes of really talented freshmen receivers.

They see a team that had 4 receivers with over 100 yards receiving each. And a QB that can get them the ball.

Then you look at 3 former walk-ons from NU who get the majority of snaps and get zero separation.

A lot of talented kids are gonna wonder, "what am I doing here, and how is this gonna get me to the league?"

Damon Benning summed it up pretty well when he said that the play calls are made to build upon something, to develop the offense going forward.
Is AG in the game if the o line is playing well and could be relied upon if Rahmir is in there to ice the game? No, he’s in there to make a play...
I don’t know how the offensive passing game develops moving forward, but we’ll certainly need it to develop the rest of the way.
‘Here’s hoping for a big jump week 2, go get those Buffaloes
GBR

I think the difference between this coaching staff and the previous coaching staff is that they really care to do well here and they lead with intentionality. They will make adjustments after the mistakes they made this game. They aren’t going to be prideful or stubborn and keep doing the same things that didn’t work. They will analyze the game and discuss what should have been done differently.

We all enjoy the little extra transparency but I wonder if Rhule will dial that back in light of recent events. Had he not told us about Grant’s fumbling We wouldn’t have been so critical.

With that said, it does add a layer of distrust now because the staff did something they flat-out said they wouldn’t do (quote related to not playing for us if you are turning the ball over).

I am hopeful the staff addresses this with the media next week and takes ownership of both the comment and the decision to put Grant in and what their expectations are moving forward.

1. In that situation, it was exactly the right call, you take a shot. We had a guy open, he missed him. If we didn't get it then they kick.
2. He is one of your best backs, you think you got the message in camp and now have trust in him. Of course you play him!
3. You play to win the damn game, QB had just completed some passes prior, right decision! Kid just made a mistake.

the only thing you are correct on is that we beat ourselves, bad qb decisions and veteran players making stupid mistakes. 'We were lucky to be in a spot to win it, they looked faster and stronger than us most the game in all areas. We need another year of recruiting.
Absolutely agree with 95% of this. The issue in this game was execution by a small handful of players, not coaching. People are just short sighted and mad about the goal line outcome but the play calling there was situational and correct, Sims and 2 O-linemen just didn’t execute. That’s 3 players out of 11. The rest did their job. The only thing I didn’t like coaching wise was the 3 and out passing drive and the lack of RB runs overall.

The thing I’ll disagree with is that Minnesota looked stronger and faster. Nebraska looked stronger and faster. The evidence is that we lost the turnover battle 4-1 and if the refs call the game fairly, we still won the game. You have to be the stronger and faster team for that to be true. We out-gained them, we were better and win easily if you swap just one of our players OR call Gabe’s TD OR call that blatant false start on 4th and 10.

I get it, people are emotional because we lost like that AGAIN but you have to understand that was a better team out there for us and we are unlikely to have that many detrimental mistakes very often in a game.

Last edited:
He also plays for Florida Atlantic, which in many years wouldn’t do well playing a full FCS schedule.
This is like saying Nebraska wouldn't have done well playing a full G5 schedule most years (recently).

Some of them played. I have no doubt that the guys who have practiced the best are playing. Other than the transfer Scott, Rhule and Raiola didn’t recruit the guys they have to play right now unless they start running out true freshmen.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I guess we could say the warning signs were there all camp on our offense. Nearly all of the single digits went to defensive players, we heard each scrimmage that the defense kicked the shit out of the offense. Piper should give his single number status back and so should Sims. I am still 100% in on Rhule, I saw improvement in coaching. I see a total lack of talent in nearly every offensive position group. If our Oline can't make desperate improvement then it will be a long year. Two out of the three phases looked good to me.

Some of them played. I have no doubt that the guys who have practiced the best are playing. Other than the transfer Scott, Rhule and Raiola didn’t recruit the guys they have to play right now unless they start running out true freshmen.
dingle, if Grant carried 9 times and Ervin 7 times, how can that be true?

Reactions: king_kong_
What can we lose by giving someone else a chance. Corc is just terrible at tackle, he may be even worse at guard but make the move and play and undersize guy at tackle, it can't be much worse, play somebody that will move and compete.

The danger of taking our coach at his word….

I’m looking forward to Saturday and won’t be listening to anything the staff says between now and then

What we do between the lines is all that matters

Do you mean as far as “practiced the best”? I’m guessing that Grant has been the best runner in practice minus the fumbles. Rhule praised his ability but noted the fumbles. I think he’s our most explosive back. I would still play Ervin

Reactions: BleedRed78
2 decent qbs?

Reactions: herbie tarlek
Do you mean as far as “practiced the best”? I’m guessing that Grant has been the best runner in practice minus the fumbles. Rhule praised his ability but noted the fumbles. I think he’s our most explosive back. I would still play Ervin
I mean by what you said, "I have no doubt that the guys who have practiced the best are playing."

It doesn't make sense that if Grant were practicing the best, he sits 3rd on the depth chart at RB.

For all we know, given Ervin's history, he may be already banged up. That makes more sense.

This is like saying Nebraska wouldn't have done well playing a full G5 schedule most years (recently).
My comment is for those saying well he played Fordham. But take into account the team he is on. He isn’t playing with Georgia and their offensive line and receivers. Damn too many Nebraska fans can’t handle when a player does good things elsewhere. The reality is can you really be upset with them for leaving? Would you stay at a job where you are set up to fail and the bosses and co-workers suck and don’t care that they suck?

People equate bad outcomes to coaching mistakes. They have no insight into whether the play called was able to exploit the defense. They provide no reasonable alternative. Only results based opinions. If it didn’t work, it was a bad call. So simplistic. Especially with a new staff and new roster where they are still figuring each other out.
Every media outlet I've watched mentioned coaching mistakes.

My comment is for those saying well he played Fordham. But take into account the team he is on. He isn’t playing with Georgia and their offensive line and receivers. Damn too many Nebraska fans can’t handle when a player does good things elsewhere. The reality is can you really be upset with them for leaving? Would you stay at a job where you are set up to fail and the bosses and co-workers suck and don’t care that they suck?
I can't take your argument serious when you go to the extreme of, "he's not playing with Georgia". There's a lot of middle ground here.

Multiple factors can be true at the same time.
1) He's not on a team full of superior athletes.
2) The team he's on is much better than the team they just played.
3) He's a FBS / Power 5 player playing down a level.
4) Due to #3, he'll help make his teammates look much better.
5) Him doing great Week 1 at FAU vs an average FCS school, does not mean he would have had a great Week 1 vs Minnesota.
6) He could have done well had he stayed at Nebraska, but again, don't use Week 1 vs Monmouth to make that determination.

Also, who's upset that he left / didn't stay or upset that he did well Week 1 at FAU? I'm not sure how you got that from my posts or anyone else's?

I can't take your argument serious when you go to the extreme of, "he's not playing with Georgia". There's a lot of middle ground here.

Multiple factors can be true at the same time.
1) He's not on a team full of superior athletes.
2) The team he's on is much better than the team they just played.
3) He's a FBS / Power 5 player playing down a level.
4) Due to #3, he'll help make his teammates look much better.
5) Him doing great Week 1 at FAU vs an average FCS school, does not mean he would have had a great Week 1 vs Minnesota.
6) He could have done well had he stayed at Nebraska, but again, don't use Week 1 vs Monmouth to make that determination.

Also, who's upset that he left / didn't stay or upset that he did well Week 1 at FAU? I'm not sure how you got that from my posts or anyone else's?
I never said he would have done better vs Minnesota last week. Where did I ever say that? I can’t take you serious when you make things up like you do.

c'mon.. he was looking to hire MJ.. the team responded and was playing about as good as they could.

Then when CT got hurt. Whipple broke under the pressure. His QB room was unprepared, He had multiple meltdowns during gamedays and during weekly preparations. His play calling also became erratic and he became a liability to the entire team.

It was at this point that Ted Carter pulled the whole thing in another direction.

For sure Whip was not going to be on MJ's new staff but Whip pretty much derailed everything from within.

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
c'mon.. he was looking to hire MJ.. the team responded and was playing about as good as they could.

Then when CT got hurt. Whipple broke under the pressure. His QB room was unprepared, He had multiple meltdowns during gamedays and during weekly preparations. His play calling also became erratic and he became a liability to the entire team.

It was at this point that Ted Carter pulled the whole thing in another direction.

For sure Whip was not going to be on MJ's new staff but Whip pretty much derailed everything from within.
Is this real or only a fiction story? And if real how nice of Carter to make the decision just to leave for a conference foe in a few months.

I never said you did.

You can stop being dramatic now.
You replied to me with those words, implying that is what I said or how I thought. Maybe the Huskers can win a fricking game and stop getting drug through the mud by the rest of the Big Ten teams fans and media and Nebraska fans will stop lashing out at each other. Look it’s pathetic how the team loses for 6 years now. Be nice to have something to rejoice over together.

Reactions: JOHNNY N
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT