ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
I think it's more accurate to say the NCAA shut everything down over the fear of the unknown vs 10k deaths. that's hindsight.

which is to say, the odds football will be played is going up each time these projections go down IMO.

True.

That fear of the unknown the decision makers have to evaluate is basically what's keeping me from jumping on the whole "yah there's sports again!" train.

Like, the guys in charge will have an idea soon-ish of estimated deaths, and what tools/tests we have to fight it. The answer could be a lot, it could be not much more than we have now. But they can essentially estimate that risk.

There's still a large amount of space for fear of the unknown. The prime one, is there a significant chance of a fall wave, either new strain, or just relaxing of distancing leading to flare ups.

That won't be known until it happens, and I'm not sure how NCAA/Uni guys will "price" that. So far NCAA is nuking things 4-6 weeks at a time, and big time schools like OSU are keeping kids away until August.

We would need to see a radical change of heart to think we've turned the corner on that decision making. The best we are getting in evidence is a bunch of different folks scheduling things and hoping they won't be canceled.

True.

That fear of the unknown the decision makers have to evaluate is basically what's keeping me from jumping on the whole "yah there's sports again!" train.

Like, the guys in charge will have an idea soon-ish of estimated deaths, and what tools/tests we have to fight it. The answer could be a lot, it could be not much more than we have now. But they can essentially estimate that risk.

There's still a large amount of space for fear of the unknown. The prime one, is there a significant chance of a fall wave, either new strain, or just relaxing of distancing leading to flare ups.

That won't be known until it happens, and I'm not sure how NCAA/Uni guys will "price" that. So far NCAA is nuking things 4-6 weeks at a time, and big time schools like OSU are keeping kids away until August.

We would need to see a radical change of heart to think we've turned the corner on that decision making.
public pressure also is part of that unknown, and when the NBA was so lauded for their decision to suspend their season it made it very easy for others to follow suit.

I think as everyone pokes their heads out of their gopher holes and sees the world hasn't burned to the ground and their friends/neighbors/community are still alive and kicking, that same pressure will be back on leagues to get going.

Endangering the lives of unpaid labor in order to "run money" through the state of Oklahoma is not a theory anyone should be behind. It's a plantation owner mentality

Endangering the lives of unpaid labor in order to "run money" through the state of Oklahoma is not a theory anyone should be behind. It's a plantation owner mentality
welcome to college football

risking CTE/paralysis/actual death/every other extremely serious injury that goes with football: no problem

risking COVID exposure: hey, wait a minute!

funny the lines some draw.

Last edited:
Just doing some reading tonight I was surprised at how many school systems have closed campus through summer session and doing online only.

The Carolinas Florida Oklahoma Ohio Stanford USC and the list goes on spread out all over the country.

I really only noticed OSUs announcement a while back.

If you can't have kids on campus until August how do you condition or camp. I guess it's something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Just doing some reading tonight I was surprised at how many school systems have closed campus through summer session and doing online only.

The Carolinas Florida Oklahoma Ohio Stanford USC and the list goes on spread out all over the country.

I really only noticed OSUs announcement a while back.

If you can't have kids on campus until August how do you condition or camp. I guess it's something to keep an eye on.
highly doubt football will be held to the same standards as the (non-rev generating) student body

then make it voluntary. They are 18, if they wanna risk it that’s on them. Stop with the plantation bs.
*using best "scholarships are enough payment for players" voice*

if they don't want to play college football, they don't have to!

Figured the University had to put out the fire a little

It's like I said we haven't seen any indication the decision making has tilted towards taking more risk.

Probably the league the most on top of this thing is MLB and they are still basically attempting to make a large scale recreation of The Truman Show.

ESPN insider said zero chance of MLB games in May my buddy who is into it said....but I could give two craps about baseball.

Florida has cancelled all campus tours until July. I wonder if they have any officials scheduled in June.

https://admissions.ufl.edu/visit/

Edit... probably they haven't updated their camp schedule yet

https://floridagators.com/sports/2020/2/25/football-summer-camps.aspx
ha what a coincidence. school updates no problem, football remains unchanged.

perhaps the start to 'special treatment' for football programs?

also, pretty easy argument to make that players/coaches jobs require them to be on campus.

it'll happen. money talks, bs walks.

It doesn't mean that at all.

The NCAA just extended the dead period until May 31 and schools are re-scheduling events to match. With this action, they just eliminated the evaluation period for football and killed spring visits.

You'll notice... "The committees will continue to be guided by experts to determine whether the date needs to be extended.”"

USC and Notre Dame have rescheduled a couple big recruiting weekends, but even their sites say they don't know if it will actually happen or get eaten up in yet another extension.

https://wearesc.com/ncaa-extends-recruiting-dead-period/

The NCAA is going to be pretty hesitant to roll over June without more data.

how many games were scheduled for may or june?

how many games were scheduled for may or june?

None. But we just had two GOP governor's of rabid NCAA FB states say yesterday NCAA FB is still under threat of cancellation as of yesterday.

That's a little bit stronger indication of what the possible outcomes are than declaring a season safe because a kid moves an official visit around that is still subject to cancellation.

Interesting interview from a week ago.

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/c...9-will-get-college-football-season-cancelled/

Sporting News also reporting that Lincoln Riley pointing at the end of May as the next tea leaf for the season with coaches wondering if they'll be allowed to have summer camp season in June. Shocking news I know. Christopherson should point him at the tweet telling him NU is scheduling officials lulz

Last edited:
None. But we just had two GOP governor's of rabid NCAA FB states say yesterday NCAA FB is still under threat of cancellation as of yesterday.

That's a little bit stronger indication of what the possible outcomes are than declaring a season safe because a kid moves an official visit around that is still subject to cancellation.

Well shoot, then we should just go with what the World Health Organization and Dr. Fauci said in January and not even worry about the virus.

Dr Fauci seemed to change his mind quickly a month later.

That's my point.

So it'd be short sighted at best to quote these other people and say see we're not having it.

My opinion is this going to die out quicker than the "experts" thought and life will resume.

We'll have a season.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
EVGWl1lUEAAugjh

Just get an antibody test and start to weed out the sickies

Good interview on Breitbart today.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...amping-up-plasma-based-treatments-on-the-way/

Hoping to get more antigen test production but warning about the non authorized tests about to hit market.

These were the 50 or so mostly Chinese companies I posted about the other day. Given that I'm surprised that Breitbart didn't mention that and/or flip out about it.

Edit: I'm guessing the lid will be blown off in a week or so when an investigative reporter looks into where all these tests came from.

I think we'll have a season in some form. After the decline of this pandemic, I believe there will be alot of questions about hysteria and our healthcare system in general and CDC and WHO in particular. I believe our economic ties to China should and will be severed to an extent.

We will have football because we love football, and we're tired of no sports. You can't live your life in your house, secluded.

I think we'll have a season in some form. After the decline of this pandemic, I believe there will be alot of questions about hysteria and our healthcare system in general and CDC and WHO in particular. I believe our economic ties to China should and will be severed to an extent.

We will have football because we love football, and we're tired of no sports. You can't live your life in your house, secluded.

Yah I guess we'll see. I despise China however I'm not certain the degree to which the Administration will look to cut ties. They appear to have cleared those 50 chinese companies to provide tests in the near term, and "medicines" most generally have been a hot button issue about what we need to strategically take back.

Its going to be hard to start up an American testing production company when you have four dozen Chinese competitors before you start. My guess is that we'll get an amendment to the law that says we need x amount of capability to stay stateside like we do with other military equipment. Then we'll more or less pay the medical oligopolies like we do Boeing and LockMart in the defense industry but keep buying a significant percentage from overseas (not just China).

Fox's newest poll suggests the president has lost 9 points in his virus response approval and he's now at 54% believe he should be doing more.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/po...al-of-trumps-job-combating-coronavirus-fading

I'm not sure how much mass hysteria will come out the other end of this thing.

Edit: might as well post the approvals

The president’s approval rating on handling the coronavirus is also slightly underwater in the Quinnipiac poll, at 46 percent approval and 51 percent disapproval.

By comparison, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, earned a 78 percent approval rating, with just 7 percent disapproving of his performance.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York – the state hardest hit by the pandemic – stood at 59-17 percent approval-disapproval in the Quinnipiac poll.

Yah I guess we'll see. I despise China however I'm not certain the degree to which the Administration will look to cut ties. They appear to have cleared those 50 chinese companies to provide tests in the near term, and "medicines" most generally have been a hot button issue about what we need to strategically take back.

Its going to be hard to start up an American testing production company when you have four dozen Chinese competitors before you start. My guess is that we'll get an amendment to the law that says we need x amount of capability to stay stateside like we do with other military equipment. Then we'll more or less pay the medical oligopolies like we do Boeing and LockMart in the defense industry but keep buying a significant percentage from overseas (not just China).

Fox's newest poll suggests the president has lost 9 points in his virus response approval and he's now at 54% believe he should be doing more.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/po...al-of-trumps-job-combating-coronavirus-fading

I'm not sure how much mass hysteria will come out the other end of this thing.

Lockmart and polling data? Wtf are you answering me with?

if it were up to doctors, we'd never leave our houses ever again.
They would be disagreeing with my wife. We're still going to the grocery store and not wearing masks around town. The CDC has really messed with people. First don't wear masks. Then do wear masks. First it doesn't hang in the air very long. Then it does. People are going to just throw their hands up and say screw it. If I get it I get it. The "experts" don't know what's right anyway. First we don't have enough ventilators. Now we probably did the wrong thing in putting some people on ventilators....:(

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT