ADVERTISEMENT

Since 2016 the last time we went to a bowl game

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
Our record in one score games is 8-33 and we are 0-5 in games that went to OT. Multiple staffs,multiple classes and systems. So what has been the issue

* Recruiting has been better than average in Big10 not elite but certainly good enough for winning seasons
* Players seem to play hard
* Every staff has had winning seasons before with other teams

So why are we snake bit? it seems whenever a game is close we have no player that steps up and makes a play. In fact when its a close game usually we lose due to an Int, fumble, missed kick, untimely penalty or some other self inflicted wound.

Are we cursed or what? At some point I believe we need a QB to step up and become clutch for us - That QB is not on our roster so hopefully we can get one through the portal. Other-wise with out breaking this losing attitude this program will continue the slide into oblivion.

Next year is a very important year and one where we clearly do not have a QB right now on the roster that can reverse this trend

Last edited:
Mental weakness in big moments by coaches and then passed to players. Some call it culture; some hate that word. But it is obvious.

I still cannot believe we have had 7 years of under .500 football at freaking NEBRASKA. Any person with a heartbeat should be able as coach to beat half the teams on NU's schedule. The difference in resources is immense. You would have to try to screw it up. But they do.

"Our record in one score games is 8-33 and we are 0-5 in games that went to OT."

It's crazy. If nothing else you'd think the law of averages would begin to show up on our side.

Mental weakness in big moments by coaches and then passed to players. Some call it culture; some hate that word. But it is obvious.

I still cannot believe we have had 7 years of under .500 football at freaking NEBRASKA. Any person with a heartbeat should be able as coach to beat half the teams on NU's schedule. The difference in resources is immense. You would have to try to screw it up. But they do.
The problem with your theory is it spans multiple coaches and players.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Our record in one score games is 8-33 and we are 0-5 in games that went to OT. Multiple staffs,multiple classes and systems. So what has been the issue

* Recruiting has been better than average in Big10 not elite but certainly good enough for winning seasons
* Players seem to play hard
* Every staff has had winning seasons before with other teams

So why are we snake bit? it seems whenever a game is close we have no player that steps up and makes a play. In fact when its a close game usually we lose due to an Int, fumble, missed kick, untimely penalty or some other self inflicted wound.

Are we cursed or what? At some point I believe we need a QB to step up and become clutch for us - That QB is not on our roster so hopefully we can get one through the portal. Other-wise with out breaking this losing attitude this program will continue the slide into oblivion.

Next year is a very important year and one where we clearly do not have a QB right now on the roster that can reverse this trend
Terrible QB play.

Trying to recruit running QBs to become elite passers.

The reason we haven't sniffed major bowls since 2001.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Terrible QB play.

Trying to recruit running QBs to become elite passers.

The reason we haven't sniffed major bowls since 2001.
Roster management has been terrible through multiple coaches until Rhule. I don't see him get any credit for fielding a complete team his first year. No 5'6" slot backs at rb in the Big 10. No 4-3 DE's playing DT and getting mauled by Wisconsin. Haven't seen him take last minute flyers on questionable character kids just to fill open scholarships.

Rhule is sitting down trying to figure out how to get under the scholarship limit. That alone gives me hope. Too many coaches were the opposite. Oversigning is one step towards big boy football.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Terrible hires and terrible management of those hires. Seriously, I think the AD position has been more responsible for this mess than anyone thinks. Since Byrne, we've had Pederson (terrible), Osborne (okay at best, but failed to keep Pelini sane), Eichorst (terrible) and Moos (terrible). Eichorst shouldn't have a job at Wendy's after hiring Riley and THEN forcing Diaco on him.

I think we're in the best position to succeed since early Pelini days, but the jury is still out. And the easy days of B!G West schedules are over, so we might be terrible forever. Seriously.

Reactions: shocksker
Terrible hires and terrible management of those hires. Seriously, I think the AD position has been more responsible for this mess than anyone thinks. Since Byrne, we've had Pederson (terrible), Osborne (okay at best, but failed to keep Pelini sane), Eichorst (terrible) and Moos (terrible). Eichorst shouldn't have a job at Wendy's after hiring Riley and THEN forcing Diaco on him.

I think we're in the best position to succeed since early Pelini days, but the jury is still out. And the easy days of B!G West schedules are over, so we might be terrible forever. Seriously.
Great post. I am afraid of your last two sentences as well. I’m hopeful that we will not be terrible forever, but I honestly cannot see us ever getting back to elite. I think we have an opportunity to get up to the level where Wisconsin has been for the past 20 years, but have a hard time seeing us achieve much beyond that.

I like Washington. If Nebraska is set to willingly voluntarily sick into perpetuity, I might cheer for them. I love huskies (own one) purple is my favorite color (well, a tie with red) and I loved the state of Washington when I vacationed there (except Seattle, yuck). And they actually care about winning football.

I hope Nebraska proves me wrong!

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT