ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
It’s too soon to tell. Maybe you’re right, maybe you’re not. What about the second wave that’s coming? Like you said we’re all going to get it at some point.
second wave, who knows. I'll wait and see, hopefully decisions aren't made because of it.

2M deaths projected just weeks ago, now down to 84k deaths projected and falling.

this is all good news!

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I’ve read all that good for them but that doesn’t mean my father would be one on that side of statistics since he is on respiratory issues and has to take inhaling medicine every day or every 4-6 hrs as needed..
we're all rooting for everyone and I will certainly be thinking about you and yours. the good news is because of the quarantine/lockdown if he does get sick and needs help he will be able to get it.

God bless!

Reactions: scarletred
I like your optimism. We need hope during these tough times.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. College FB is a big deal. The university are going to do everything in their power to have it including looking at these modified schedules.

It's like Pollard said...if there's no college FB it's now an ice age. No one wants an ice age.

Agree with dingle that nothing is likely to happen short of a vaccine.

Stuff like this isn't going to give University president's much expectation that the student bodies can handle this Ina responsible manner.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2020...-chinese-virus-symptoms-after-campus-parties/
I think I heard today that Bill Gates had directed his foundation to help 7 different companies develop and start packaging vaccine while it is still being tested. Several have begun testing and he said maybe only 2 of the vaccines will be effective and that they may end up with millions of doses of vaccine they don't use, but they're forging ahead to try to get the vaccine to Drs before the end of the year. That still not in time for football BUT man I think athletes, coaches, and officials would be the PERFECT test subjects for an experimental vaccine.Winking How many doses would we need to get the football season going?

Fauci also said today that once the cases go down and we are able to test everyone for antibodies, we will know how many have had it and we will be to isolate the new cases. They also seem pretty confident they will have some sort of therapy before the next "wave" hits in the fall.

Reactions: bluenrg
Fauci also said today that once the cases go down and we are able to test everyone for antibodies, we will know how many have had it and we will be to isolate the new cases. They also seem pretty confident they will have some sort of therapy before the next "wave" hits in the fall.

Yah we were talking in some thread about how many antigen tests can they create in a given amount of time. The only one I could really find data for an insulin like home test is the Chinese produce Scanwell test that runs about fifteen million tests a month.

If we produce an identical product at the same rate it would take ball park twenty months to crank out enough to test every American. Just high risk and elderly would take six months. And it would take an additional ten months to test the American labor force after that.

Now if they let more Chinese production in and we get some US production and whatever that will obviously speed things up but it doesn't seem like that in the near term antigen tests will be super widespread for Joe American who's not in a priority group.

I think I heard today that Bill Gates had directed his foundation to help 7 different companies develop and start packaging vaccine while it is still being tested. Several have begun testing and he said maybe only 2 of the vaccines will be effective and that they may end up with millions of doses of vaccine they don't use, but they're forging ahead to try to get the vaccine to Drs before the end of the year. That still not in time for football BUT man I think athletes, coaches, and officials would be the PERFECT test subjects for an experimental vaccine.Winking How many doses would we need to get the football season going?

When you hear about Trump talking to the schools about adding chloroquine and zpack to the training table you'll know shit just got real

Curious about the player perspective when you have time. One thing that's not discussed is whether the college players would want to have a season under some sort of restrictions. Like say, in front of no live fans, with mandatory COVID testing once a week or before every game or something.

Its one thing to get a professional players association together and institute some sort of testing regime when there's millions of dollars on the line, but I'm not sure that the University system necessarily wants to resort to testing players every week or before every game or something for COVID.

Some would say you could just do the antigen test, but guidance at current is that the antigen test on its own is not enough to confirm the presence of COVID. So unless that changes they would potentially need two tests, the antigen and a more invasive COVID test, or just the COVID test itself.

It appears that any sports that do return won't have fans this calender year

This is better than nothing, if that’s the way it works out. But it seems like a strange solution. A football game with no fans is still going to bring a few hundred people together in very close proximity to each other.

If we get to a point where they say you can now gather in groups of 300 or less, I can see it. Bur that would mean restaurants and bars would be back open. Many offices would be back open. But not football stadiums? I know there is a difference between 300 and 90,000, but those 90k are the same people going to bars, restaurants, and offices.

Curious about the player perspective when you have time. One thing that's not discussed is whether the college players would want to have a season under some sort of restrictions. Like say, in front of no live fans, with mandatory COVID testing once a week or before every game or something.

Its one thing to get a professional players association together and institute some sort of testing regime when there's millions of dollars on the line, but I'm not sure that the University system necessarily wants to resort to testing players every week or before every game or something for COVID.

Some would say you could just do the antigen test, but guidance at current is that the antigen test on its own is not enough to confirm the presence of COVID. So unless that changes they would potentially need two tests, the antigen and a more invasive COVID test, or just the COVID test itself.
I'm guessing they don't think much about a virus that doesn't affect them and want to get back to normal yesterday.

kind of like 99%+ of all Americans who this virus won't affect, save for 10 days of feeling under the weather.

Reactions: bshirt73
I'm guessing they don't think much about a virus that doesn't affect them and want to get back to normal yesterday.

kind of like 99%+ of all Americans who this virus won't affect, save for 10 days of feeling under the weather.

I mean yah there's a sense of youth invincibility but young men are fickle also.

Some of those guys are likely to have strong feelings about having to maintain amateur status but being required to constantly be tested for stuff so the the coach and school make that money. Or just normal conservative hey the State can't make me do this type of things.

In general the youth tolerance for bullshit is lower than most too. For 99% of those guys they aren't making the league and at least if a decent chunk of them would probably find cancelling a season and getting an extra year of eligibility a fair deal if they don't have to do a bunch of hoops to play games.

Some of those guys are likely to have strong feelings about having to maintain amateur status but being required to constantly be tested for stuff so the the coach and school make that money.
this has been the case for decades. nobody in charge has cared so far. in fact, they do anything and everything up to and including making it illegal for players to get paid (ohio & michigan) while at school to ensure these feelings don't get in the way of the brinks trucks stopping by public university campuses every fall saturday.

extending playing career a year, great. consider it an unpaid sabbatical. except you still have to maintain eligibility. now you can grad transfer with 2 years left to play.

yippee!

This is better than nothing, if that’s the way it works out. But it seems like a strange solution. A football game with no fans is still going to bring a few hundred people together in very close proximity to each other.

If we get to a point where they say you can now gather in groups of 300 or less, I can see it. Bur that would mean restaurants and bars would be back open. Many offices would be back open. But not football stadiums? I know there is a difference between 300 and 90,000, but those 90k are the same people going to bars, restaurants, and offices.

Trump in his various rambling has said things like why can't people go back to work if companies make people sit apart and stuff like that.

Various folks have attached in to stuff like that and said yah you know there's no reason a 100 seat restaurant couldn't just seat 40 folks at a time or whatever. Or most companies have roles that allow telework most of the time with only some portion needing to show up to an actual office or whatever.

It's certainly possible that we do get sports with some fans but memorial has 10k people in it but all spread out. You probably won't be packing people into bars and restaurants like a normal pre covid game day etc.

I just read about MLB’s idea to play the season in Arizona. I had posted that very idea a few weeks ago. One of the holdups could be the players agreeing to be ‘sequestered’ away from their families for 4-5 months (or more).

They also think they’d make up for lost gate receipts by having many more games on National Television, as they think networks will be starving for live content.

I just read about MLB’s idea to play the season in Arizona. I had posted that very idea a few weeks ago. One of the holdups could be the players agreeing to be ‘sequestered’ away from their families for 4-5 months (or more).

They also think they’d make up for lost gate receipts by having many more games on National Television, as they think networks will be starving for live content.
excited to see the purell-soaked nancies protesting opening day for being too wreckless and unsafe for the public

this quarantine and the media fallout are softening people's brains

this has been the case for decades. nobody in charge has cared so far. in fact, they do anything and everything up to and including making it illegal for players to get paid (ohio & michigan) while at school to ensure these feelings don't get in the way of the brinks trucks stopping by public university campuses every fall saturday.

extending playing career a year, great. consider it an unpaid sabbatical. except you still have to maintain eligibility. now you can grad transfer with 2 years left to play.

yippee!

The terms of an NCAA scholarship are known up front. By years.

Personally I don't see most university president's being real comfortable treating the student athletes like pawns and just saying hey now you have to do all this other medical stuff to get your free room and board...the show must go on.

The student athletes don't have a players union but I can see in either a formal or informal manner polling football players through the coaches about what they'd be willing to tolerate if there were any outline for a modified season.

People talk here all the time about how a good chunk of the guys playing football are lazy or don't have the right kind of fire. That's going to carry into this situation. Sure there will be a few Ronnie Lott types that will want to play come hell or high water but there's going to be a few with don't want to play in these conditions and will be looking for any reason not to do so. Up to and including law suits.

Which is why I don't think President's will just force a new regime on the players.

Personally I don't see most university president's being real comfortable treating the student athletes like pawns
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that is good stuff right there. what planet are you from & can we all borrow some naivety?

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that is good stuff right there. what planet are you from & can we all borrow some naivety?

Within the terms of the contracts I agree. But modifying contracts post signing...maybe not.

The terms of an NCAA scholarship are known up front. By years.

Personally I don't see most university president's being real comfortable treating the student athletes like pawns and just saying hey now you have to do all this other medical stuff to get your free room and board...the show must go on.

The student athletes don't have a players union but I can see in either a formal or informal manner polling football players through the coaches about what they'd be willing to tolerate if there were any outline for a modified season.

People talk here all the time about how a good chunk of the guys playing football are lazy or don't have the right kind of fire. That's going to carry into this situation. Sure there will be a few Ronnie Lott types that will want to play come hell or high water but there's going to be a few with don't want to play in these conditions and will be looking for any reason not to do so. Up to and including law suits.

Which is why I don't think President's will just force a new regime on the players.
seeing as how it's literally illegal for college athletes to collectively represent themselves (including in law suits against the NCAA), they would have to get several precedents overturned before they could even so much as file a grievance against the ncaa (which is run by a committee of, you guessed it, university presidents).

they're declared ineligible for having ads on their youtube pages but this will be totally different?

get a clue, man. university presidents never have and never will give 2 shits about their athletes as long as they continue to fill their precious coffers.

Reactions: bshirt73
seeing as how it's literally illegal for college athletes to collectively represent themselves (including in law suits against the NCAA), they would have to get several precedents overturned before they could even so much as file a grievance against the ncaa (which is run by a committee of, you guessed it, university presidents).

they're declared ineligible for having ads on their youtube pages but this will be totally different?

get a clue, man. university presidents never have and never will give 2 shits about their athletes as long as they continue to fill their precious coffers.

So some of those purell soaked Nancy protesters have kids in college sports.

The players don't have to collectively do anything. There just have to be enough pin pricks at the university level to throw a wrench into things.

Remember it wasn't Trump's first choice to shut everything down. External pressure made that brawler change his mind. Most of these uni guys aren't the same kind of brawler Trump is. And lawsuits about covid safety is not exactly the heat they are looking for.

So some of those purell soaked Nancy protesters have kids in college sports.

The players don't have to collectively do anything. There just have to be enough pin pricks at the university level to throw a wrench into things.

Remember it wasn't Trump's first choice to shut everything down. External pressure made that brawler change his mind. Most of these uni guys aren't the same kind of brawler Trump is. And lawsuits about covid safety is not exactly the heat they are looking for.
yes, the fans could sue. parents could sue (demographically, not likely to be at critical mass, however).

they will be tried in the court of public opinion, to be sure.

your prior posts about players pushing against it & causing unease with university presidents remain laughable, however.

why do some have such disdain for the sellout streak? genuinely confused by this.

Why would sports have a priority over the rest of society? Testing reagents are in short supply and won't be available in time. Expect Testing to be continued to be rationed.
I've got no problem with sports taking priority over me. They're more important than I am, and mean much more to society than I do, that's for sure.

some may disagree.

Coaches are planning official visits, a season is almost certain.

It doesn't mean that at all.

The NCAA just extended the dead period until May 31 and schools are re-scheduling events to match. With this action, they just eliminated the evaluation period for football and killed spring visits.

You'll notice... "The committees will continue to be guided by experts to determine whether the date needs to be extended.”"

USC and Notre Dame have rescheduled a couple big recruiting weekends, but even their sites say they don't know if it will actually happen or get eaten up in yet another extension.

https://wearesc.com/ncaa-extends-recruiting-dead-period/

The NCAA is going to be pretty hesitant to roll over June without more data.

Cross post from the other thread, Rambo put up new projections of 82k dead by August. Lower than previously expected, good, no doubt.

However NCAA shut down everything for ~10K deaths so far. (Their latest edict was just a few days ago). Adding another 70K to the pile in 120 days-ish doesn't seem like for sports at least, a positive indicator of loosening up restrictions.

Edit: I'm hoping these antigen tests come on strong.

Why would sports have a priority over the rest of society? Testing reagents are in short supply and won't be available in time. Expect Testing to be continued to be rationed.

Sports isn’t being given priority over all of the rest of society. Just some of the rest of society.

However, considering the incredible number of jobs produced by sports - both directly and indirectly- and considering the incredible amount of economic benefit generated by sports; and considering the significance the American culture has placed upon sports, I can see a pretty strong case being made to give some priority to sports over other non-essential enterprises that have been shelved in the last month.

Cross post from the other thread, Rambo put up new projections of 82k dead by August. Lower than previously expected, good, no doubt.

However NCAA shut down everything for ~10K deaths so far. (Their latest edict was just a few days ago). Adding another 70K to the pile in 120 days-ish doesn't seem like for sports at least, a positive indicator of loosening up restrictions.

Edit: I'm hoping these antigen tests come on strong.
I think it's more accurate to say the NCAA shut everything down over the fear of the unknown vs 10k deaths. that's hindsight.

at the time, there were many talking about the possibility of 2M deaths or more just in the US. nobody had any clue.

that we're getting more data and a better understanding of the fact a positive test for COVID isn't a death sentence for most everybody means things are trending in the right direction for educated decisions to be made instead of hair-on-fire, panicked and emotional ones.

which is to say, the odds football will be played is going up each time these projections go down IMO.

Sports isn’t being given priority over all of the rest of society. Just some of the rest of society.

However, considering the incredible number of jobs produced by sports - both directly and indirectly- and considering the incredible amount of economic benefit generated by sports; and considering the significance the American culture has placed upon sports, I can see a pretty strong case being made to give some priority to sports over other non-essential enterprises that have been shelved in the last month.

Yah and I think an important point to make is that when folks get up on the tv and talk, most of what is proposed to a somewhat return to normal is predicated on testing being in a much better place than it is now.

If testing is in such a bad spot that like we can't reliably keep frontline medical workers going or maybe the most at risk populations, I don't see a situation where they are like "welp, f those guys, we are going to test 5000 players in MLB every week for 6 months!"

Like we have to be minimally out of a red zone to where they have enough flexibility to support sports testing.

Also consider that any modifications to the sports normal operating procedure will reduce the money it generates. No fans, big loss of money. No travel (ie MLB hunkering down in Arizona) big loss of revenue for many, many venues, and incacluable amounts of businesses around those venues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT