ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
Just doing some reading tonight I was surprised at how many school systems have closed campus through summer session and doing online only.

The Carolinas Florida Oklahoma Ohio Stanford USC and the list goes on spread out all over the country.

I really only noticed OSUs announcement a while back.

If you can't have kids on campus until August how do you condition or camp. I guess it's something to keep an eye on.

I appreciate how everything is so black and white to you, but do you think they can work out a scenario where students take classes online AND go to practice?

Reactions: bluenrg
They would be disagreeing with my wife. We're still going to the grocery store and not wearing masks around town. The CDC has really messed with people. First don't wear masks. Then do wear masks. First it doesn't hang in the air very long. Then it does. People are going to just throw their hands up and say screw it. If I get it I get it. The "experts" don't know what's right anyway. First we don't have enough ventilators. Now we probably did the wrong thing in putting some people on ventilators....:(
Dr Fauci now saying we should never shake hands ever again.
200.gif

staggering new unemployment application numbers out today. waiting for another COVID thread to post thoughts.

sports employ thousands in this country. just saying.

Reactions: dinglefritz
staggering new unemployment application numbers out today. waiting for another COVID thread to post thoughts.

sports employ thousands in this country. just saying.

Let’s give it a rest for a day on the Corona stuff and talk sports..Even though we have none..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Fauci has job security, he will still be getting a paycheck no matter what (even though his models were wildly inaccurate).

If we don't start getting back to normal, there won't be an economy anymore, let alone college football. You can't stay locked down forever for a virus that is asymptomatic in 85% of people.

Fauci also said today that once the cases go down and we are able to test everyone for antibodies, we will know how many have had it and we will be to isolate the new cases. They also seem pretty confident they will have some sort of therapy before the next "wave" hits in the fall.
Do we know yet if once you get it you are forever immune? Or is it like the flu and protects you for 6-9 months. Probably won't know for sure until that 9-12 month range and we either start seeing repeat cases or we don't.

Do we know yet if once you get it you are forever immune? Or is it like the flu and protects you for 6-9 months. Probably won't know for sure until that 9-12 month range and we either start seeing repeat cases or we don't.
Fauci says having had the virus would probably protect you at least in to September. IMO, it would be much longer than that but he's in CYA mode. I think by the time you would get ill from the virus again we'll have a vaccine or it will have vanished.

Fauci says having had the virus would probably protect you at least in to September. IMO, it would be much longer than that but he's in CYA mode. I think by the time you would get ill from the virus again we'll have a vaccine or it will have vanished.

Forget that guy. No better than a politician. Either side of the aisle.

I predict we'll have multiple effective treatments/therapies within the next 2-3 months. Many doctors are saying HCQ + zinc has been effective if taken early. Even a Democrat politician said it saved her life. Several other drugs are also showing promise.

Fauci has job security, he will still be getting a paycheck no matter what (even though his models were wildly inaccurate).

If we don't start getting back to normal, there won't be an economy anymore, let alone college football. You can't stay locked down forever for a virus that is asymptomatic in 85% of people.

I think virtually everyone is expecting some sort of restart in May, although to what degree and what rules will be rolled back no one really knows.I think based on the pace of things, its pretty certain Cali, NY, and the DC area and probably parts of the Rust Belt (chiefly Michigan) might not be.

Even the President's chief economic advisor as of the 7th said it was 4-8 week timetable ( 8 weeks puts us into June), presumably a cat like this would be on the Corona Economic task force

Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council, said the economy could be reopened “in the next four to eight weeks” and would perform like “a dynamo” when it was.

I appreciate how everything is so black and white to you, but do you think they can work out a scenario where students take classes online AND go to practice?

They could I just think its relatively unlikely.

If you can't have students on campus, its because at some layer of administration (State National, whatever) they haven't rolled back grouping restrictions.

So as a first cut, that would mean no fans in 90,000 seat stadiums. You could play football with no fans, but I would think this is not likely in a situation where you can't have kids on campus due to grouping issues. They probably won't group players up for games either due to these same restrictions.

Just based on the crap I'm reading on various boards and twitter and what not, its sounds to me like if we don't start in August, the prime option in play would be a spring start.

Sure you could delay a month in the fall or whatever, and predictions about a fall wave and all that and what that might mean and liability, but with companies openly saying we should have something by the spring, I think the NCAA/Uni might just choose to punt rather than try and modify the fall.

Just my opinion.

Edit: Since that post was created, the Task Force did say school was looking pretty good for fall. So there's that too.

We don't do antibody tests for any other virus.

Why would we accept all these preconditions before fully resuming our lives?

You are a sovereign being capable of exercising whatever opinion your personal situation can handle.

However, various levels of society may not accept your position.

For one, the Administration is seemingly on-board this boat

"The administration sees rapid and widespread testing as a crucial step, one person familiar with the matter said, allowing public health authorities to better identify infected people, including those who don’t show symptoms, and isolate them from healthy people who could go about their businesses."

Trump has championed an Abbott Laboratories’ test that provides results in 15 minutes, and it has begun to be administered to all White House aides and anyone who comes into contact with the president or vice president. Assistant Secretary for Health Brett Giroir said the administration aims to have “millions” of tests on the market by May that can tell if healthy people have been exposed to the virus and developed antibodies against it.

“A combination of that kind of test with the current kind of test we have now is how America opens back up again,” Giroir said Monday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...lans-to-reopen-economy-that-depend-on-testing

When Trump was initially against the shutdown, recall, he hinted at the idea that maybe we don't need to do it because we could parcel sick and healthy people out in some way, and save his economy. Now that everything has been shut down for some time, I would imagine, its still a core thought in his head about re-opening.

Note that many governors have said testing is key to their decision making and in this type of situation their opinions certainly matter.

Its also not just the big bad govt after you...a lot of employers will probably be modifying workplace conditions based on tests, distancing, personal temperature readings, etc.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/09/how...-to-bring-workers-back-after-coronavirus.html

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission issued guidance in mid-March, saying it’s legal for companies to ask employees if they have symptoms of COVID-19, such as a cough or shortness of breath, and take their temperature.

You do you Husker friend.

Last edited:

There's been some concern out of Korea that 50 or so folks have been reinfected. Sort of a fight about whether it was a bad test they got the first time, this thing was super persistent, it might have been dormant, whatever. Probably won't be settled for some time, and with more data.

I think the consensus right now is there's no reason to believe this thing is different than other virus' on the reinfection after you get antibodies thing. If that script were to suddenly flip...we probably won't be having anything this fall.

Strangely enough, amid the various good news, Missouri Governor decides to cancel school for the rest of the academic year this evening.

Goodell says he's planning to start on time but will make his decisions based on what's best for public health.

Strangely enough, amid the various good news, Missouri Governor decides to cancel school for the rest of the academic year this evening.
The academic year is almost over anyway so he was just making it official. I mean after all, how important is 8th grade graduation?Winking

Reactions: jflores
There will be college football, I have no doubt. The question is whether they will allow any fans in the stands. Schools are not going to give up the TV money - they will play in empty stadiums and test every player and coach every day, before they cancel the season.

I'm good with no fans. I'm on the coast anyway so I catch all my Husker stuff on tv.

Did have a good time last year at the Maryland game, Luke was explosive despite the soggy conditions.

There's been some concern out of Korea that 50 or so folks have been reinfected. Sort of a fight about whether it was a bad test they got the first time, this thing was super persistent, it might have been dormant, whatever. Probably won't be settled for some time, and with more data.

I think the consensus right now is there's no reason to believe this thing is different than other virus' on the reinfection after you get antibodies thing. If that script were to suddenly flip...we probably won't be having anything this fall.
I have a strong suspicion that the original positive tests were false positives OR a sample identification error. I do NOT believe for one minute that people are getting re-infected within a couple of months of whipping the virus once.

The academic year is almost over anyway so he was just making it official. I mean after all, how important is 8th grade graduation?Winking
My son is a senior and graduates this year. Right now they are either going to do a virtual graduation in May or a regular graduation in July. So yeah it sucks for the kids who busted they're tails to graduate.

Chris Fowler had a short video he posted on Instagram basically saying the powers that be are targeting the most realistic window of play being in the spring. No vaccine or testing no fans... This sucks all around

Chris Fowler had a short video he posted on Instagram basically saying the powers that be are targeting the most realistic window of play being in the spring. No vaccine or testing no fans... This sucks all around
he is a CU grad, which renders his opinion meaningless.

carry on.

Reactions: leodisflowers

B.S. Vaccines take 2-5 years to develop, and by then the virus will have mutated anyway. They never could develop a vaccine for SARS or MERS.

There will be some kind of treatment/therapy developed in the next few months, that will work for the majority of us. Hundreds of doctors are getting results with some combination of HCQ, and there are other drugs showing progress. Old people with health issues will always be at high-risk of dying from one virus or another, but they won't be able to keep the rest of us locked up for 2 years.

It's the test they need to figure out or fans at live events will be a thing of the past. Concerts, sports, anything with a large crowd. I really think we should open the country up a bit and see where that takes us.

B.S. Vaccines take 2-5 years to develop, and by then the virus will have mutated anyway. They never could develop a vaccine for SARS or MERS.

There will be some kind of treatment/therapy developed in the next few months, that will work for the majority of us. Hundreds of doctors are getting results with some combination of HCQ, and there are other drugs showing progress. Old people with health issues will always be at high-risk of dying from one virus or another, but they won't be able to keep the rest of us locked up for 2 years.
Your statement is blatantly false for Corona virus. Vaccines CAN be developed in a matter of months. The issue is jumping through all of the hoops the F'n FDA and CDC have before they'll approve it. THANKS TO CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS, the amount of bureaucratic red tape companies endure trying to get a medicine or vaccine approved is ridiculous. F'n ambulance chasers. Even then, it is very likely that we'll have a safe and effective vaccine by January 1st.

Secondly, THIS virus will no doubt mutate, BUT just because a virus mutates doesn't mean that the vaccine will become ineffective. Historically mammalian Corona virus vaccines have remained effective for decades in other animal species. That has been true in cattle, pigs, dogs and cats to name a few. Sure NEW novel viruses in the same family crop up BUT those are distinct and different viruses which cause completely different disease syndromes. CORONA VIRUSES ARE DIFFERENT THAN INFLUENZA VIRUSES.

Third, treatments are being developed right now BUT don't expect a miracle pill that will suddenly cure you and remove all risk of death. They may shorten the course of disease, but they're not going to stop all transmission, illness or deaths. A treatment doesn't mean all of a sudden that we're going to allow sporting events to take place.

Third, treatments are being developed right now BUT don't expect a miracle pill that will suddenly cure you and remove all risk of death. They may shorten the course of disease, but they're not going to stop all transmission, illness or deaths. A treatment doesn't mean all of a sudden that we're going to allow sporting events to take place.

You think there's not going to be any sports or events with crowds until there are zero illnesses or deaths from coronavirus? In that case, we're unlikely to ever have sports or concerts ever again.

The point isn't a "Miracle Pill" or cure, it's to have a treatment that manages the symptoms for the vast majority of us, so we don't need to go the ICU and can recover at home, like most viruses. The whole point of sheltering to "flatten the curve" wasn't to eliminate the virus, it was to keep the hospitals from getting overwhelmed. Right now, most hospitals are empty and laying off employees. The models used to justify this lockdown were not even close to accurate in terms of hospitalization predictions.

Most of us are going to get the virus eventually, until we have herd immunity. Even if we get a vaccine by January 1st, you can't keep the world locked down until then. Not for a virus that is asymptomatic in at least 80% of the people who have it. That is insanity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT