• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters

jflores

Offensive Coordinator
Feb 3, 2004
I'm going to vote no. Coaches like Mendenhall seem resigned to the fact that we'll have a late start if at all. Even the Sec guys like Finebaum and Saban seem more down about the chances than I thought they would.

Frost seems more upbeat than most but also seems like it's a real possibility this year is over.

Too early to say at this point. If we have a full season, I think it will be a sign that we either did extremely well in social distancing or did a very poor job. None of us want the latter because that would mean that we would all would have lost loved ones as well as many public figures, politicians, etc.

If we do OK with flattening the curve, not great but OK, then I would think that it would still be too dangerous to return to regular school activities. In this case, I would say that it would be prudent to keep kids out of school through the first quarter or even the first semester. Which would mean six game season or no season.

Reactions: scarletred
If were not going to have a College football season then we won’t have a Major League Baseball and World Series either..

I can see the season starting at the end of Of September too..

The next few months will make or break this next season. Like some have mentioned, if we can curve stomp this early, it will helps tons. But if this break lose on our country, then no. My guess, we will have a season, but like some guess, it maybe a late start. GBR

Yes - with heavily restricted fan attendance according to risk protocols but with a gigantic caveat.

caveat: virus testing is universally and readily available for all players, coaches, staff, etc by August.

Assumptions:
by August, the USA coronavirus peak is history, new cases substantially fewer from apex.
by August, hospitals have capacity/over-capacity to accommodate new cases.
by August, therapeutic drugs will be available for treatment of virus positive patients.

By August, Americans will overwhelmingly be in the mood for a semi-return to "normal" activity.

testing, testing, testing - testing is the key

Yes - with heavily restricted fan attendance according to risk protocols with a gigantic caveat.

caveat: virus testing is universally and readily available for all players, coaches, staff, etc by August.

Assumptions:
by August, the USA coronavirus peak is history, new cases substantially fewer from apex.
by August, hospitals have capacity/over-capacity to accommodate new cases.
by August, therapeutic drugs will be available for treatment of virus positive patients.

By August, Americans will overwhelmingly be in the mood for a semi-return to "normal" activity.

testing, testing, testing - testing is the key
NFL playing with full stadiums week 1 is better than a 2/1 favorite over playing with no fans in Vegas right now.

There will be football.

Yes. if the country hasn't returned to some semblance of normalcy by August, Katie bar the door. It simply can't happen, and I think most people in a position to make decisions on when to swallow hard and move forward understand that killing the economy past May will have more profound consequences on many times more people than the virus. Of course, those whose agenda is advanced by killing the U.S. and world economies will fight hard to keep things tethered as long as they can.

What if you play a conference game in week one?

Oh, I don't know...maybe reschedule? There will be open weeks if you cancel all the OOC games. Most teams open with OOC, so while it won't be a perfect solution, perfect isn't obtainable at this point. I'm just suggesting something to shorten/salvage the season that's actually doable.

If the season is shorten a conference Division game would be played before So Dakota St,Central Michigan and Cincinnati...

Don’t ya think.:cool:

I'm just partially messing with you. While there are plenty of concessions that would need to be made, I don't think its that easy to just rearrange schedules and eradicate non con games.

Reactions: scarletred
Yes, we will have a season, at least at the beginning. The warm weather in the summer will slow down the virus considerably. The issue is whether it will come back later in the fall. Hopefully by then we have some kind of treatment or therapy in place to contain it.

There are a lot of very, very smart people in this country. By then there should be multiple medicines that take care of a lot of this. And hopefully the summer heat will weaken the virus considerably. I am confident, and hopeful, that there will be football.

Reactions: dpnavy
Yes. if the country hasn't returned to some semblance of normalcy by August, Katie bar the door. It simply can't happen, and I think most people in a position to make decisions on when to swallow hard and move forward understand that killing the economy past May will have more profound consequences on many times more people than the virus. Of course, those whose agenda is advanced by killing the U.S. and world economies will fight hard to keep things tethered as long as they can.
Can you enlighten us on who has an agenda to kill the US and world economies?

Reactions: Flick2.0
Man, I hope so. I’d like to think that in 4 months time, we will be in a place where the country has reopened.

That said - I won’t be shocked if football is cancelled too.

God that will suck. Not just because I like football, but because it will mean we still haven’t gotten this f**king virus under control.

Hard to say. Probably a 50/50 shot. Although Im going to say yes we will have it. When looking at China and Japan. This lasted about 2-3 months. China is now starting to return to normal. Now I will admit their methods will not be used here. So it may take longer to get through this here. So lets say it takes 4-5 months. We have about 5 months till football. I do think heat and summer will help squash this
The biggest thing as with here or China or wherever is once life starts getting back to normal will is take off again. If so, nothing will get back to normal until we have a vaccine to help.

Last edited:
I'd say yes. It seems to me that more and more experts are coming out saying this thing has probably been around for longer than we have thought and has infected a ton more people than we think and it might not be as crazy doom and gloom as we have been led to believe. Still nothing to mess around with and I'll let the facts continue to present themselves, but seems like in a few weeks (according to some experts) this thing will start to turn around and we may also find via all of these studies that millions have had it and it isn't as crazy as it has made out to be. Interesting times for sure. I'm going with glass is full approach. Yes, we have a season.

Major League Baseball just came out with a best case scenario for the baseball season to be in early June...

So that is a start... We need to pay attention what the MLB does before the football season starts..

I'm going to vote no. Coaches like Mendenhall seem resigned to the fact that we'll have a late start if at all. Even the Sec guys like Finebaum and Saban seem more down about the chances than I thought they would.

Frost seems more upbeat than most but also seems like it's a real possibility this year is over.

You know why Frost seems upbeat? Because the season being cancelled could finally be the break in our favor that we have been waiting for. We didn't get bowl practices, lost spring practice, have a killer schedule coming up, and our roster is mostly young guys. Season off gives us a chance to upgrade big-time. Plus Frost gets to collect another cool $5 million while staying off the hot seat.

Saban and Finebaum are down because they are like 70 years old and time is more precious than ever.

My question is what you do with eligibility and scholarship limits if there is no season.

The scenario that would surprise me least is that things quiet down over the summer, life gets largely back to normal, and then partway through the season we get a resurgence of the virus.

Will be interesting to see how aggressive they get with a vaccine, and how effective it can be. If this thing is poised to sink the global economy a couple times a year you'll suddenly see the fastest availability of a vaccine in history. Hopefully it comes with a massive sweep of outlawing being anti-vax without a doctor's order saying you physically cannot tolerate vaccines.

Reactions: dckchusker

good - more time for the roids to kick in

There are a lot of very, very smart people in this country. By then there should be multiple medicines that take care of a lot of this. And hopefully the summer heat will weaken the virus considerably. I am confident, and hopeful, that there will be football.
The virus is thriving in warm climates right now. It’s far from guaranteed that summer will bring considerable relief. And by the logic that heat weakens it, that means when it gets cold again it will bounce back (i.e. just in time for when football stadiums are full of people).

I'd say yes. It seems to me that more and more experts are coming out saying this thing has probably been around for longer than we have thought and has infected a ton more people than we think and it might not be as crazy doom and gloom as we have been led to believe. Still nothing to mess around with and I'll let the facts continue to present themselves, but seems like in a few weeks (according to some experts) this thing will start to turn around and we may also find via all of these studies that millions have had it and it isn't as crazy as it has made out to be. Interesting times for sure. I'm going with glass is full approach. Yes, we have a season.
The numbers look scary because the numbers are ONLY based on those who have had the test. Most who have had the test have been so bad they went to the hospital and probably needed to be admitted. For the rest of the millions who have had it they stayed home, felt sick, and never got tested. They felt better after a few days or week and continued on with their normal lives. Never even knowing they had.
If we were actually able to test every single person in the US or World. Im guessing we would have had hundreds of millions who have had it. This would drive all those scary numbers way way down.

Everyone has been shaking in their boots so much about the 2020 schedule, I assumed we'd all be happy to cancel the season? No?

Reactions: TheBeav815
The numbers look scary because the numbers are ONLY based on those who have had the test. Most who have had the test have been so bad they went to the hospital and probably needed to be admitted. For the rest of the millions who have had it they stayed home, felt sick, and never got tested. They felt better after a few days or week and continued on with their normal lives. Never even knowing they had.
If we were actually able to test every single person in the US or World. Im guessing we would have had hundreds of millions who have had it. This would drive all those scary numbers way way down.

Correct, which is why the antibody test will be a game-changer. It will determine who has all already been exposed to the virus, so the millions who have already had it will be able to go out and get back to work.

Reactions: husker2612
I say no. No season if no school, no school if they can’t figure out how international students are going to be evaluated in all this. Considering it’s barely scratched the surface for Africa, Central and South America, there is a long way to go.

Everyone has been shaking in their boots so much about the 2020 schedule, I assumed we'd all be happy to cancel the season? No?

Well if everyone has been shaking in their boots about the 2020 schedule they better take a gander at the 2021 schedule.
at Oklahoma at Michigan State back to back weekends.
Ohio St at home next.
Northwestern
at Purdue
Michigan
Iowa
and ending the season with Wisconsin and at Minnesota..

I say no. No season if no school, no school if they can’t figure out how international students are going to be evaluated in all this. Considering it’s barely scratched the surface for Africa, Central and South America, there is a long way to go.

I'm sure they will have all international students self-quarantine for two weeks when they enter the country.

R-E-L-A-X

Yes. This country needs football. It's more important than the economy.
That's because it is the economy. No football=no gymnastics, no soccer, no track, no rifle, etc. It will be very very bad for athletic departments if there's no football.

Can you enlighten us on who has an agenda to kill the US and world economies?

"the best way to destroy the capitalist system [is] to debauch the currency" Vladimir Illyich Lenin

...just in case you don't think those exist who are in the process.

It might be easier to take out a sector here or there....provide the thing for you instead of you making it on your own even if you could make it yourself but have lower profit margins because of American worker costs for instance....

the more I learn about this, the more I think this is going to linger on for quite some time and we could have a rough second curve/spike in the fall, but the idea is we would at least be better prepared to deal with it then.

the fear however, I don't think that will persist, so this fear in people that exists today, will subside in my opinion, as most of the population will likely get the virus at some point.

I think it is cutting it close, but I'm going to say we will have a full football season, sans the fan/stadium experience. Televised, but not necessarily attended in person.

Reactions: skintight
I’d say yes with a strong possibility of playing without crowds.
China Basketball League just announced that they are going to open back up in May. That’s 4 months after their hiatus. If we follow the same 4-month frame, that will put us back in business by July.

I can see the NCAA starting fall practice in July.

the more I learn about this, the more I think this is going to linger on for quite some time and we could have a rough second curve/spike in the fall, but the idea is we would at least be better prepared to deal with it then.

the fear however, I don't think that will persist, so this fear in people that exists today, will subside in my opinion, as most of the population will likely get the virus at some point.

I think it is cutting it close, but I'm going to say we will have a full football season, sans the fan/stadium experience. Televised, but not necessarily attended in person.

Yes, I think it's unrealistic to think we won't have some kind of treatment or therapy for this virus in 6 months. We have thousands of the smartest people in the world working on it. Plus we will have the antibody test available soon, which will allow us to know who has all had the virus already and can return to their normal lives.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT