ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
The media will twist every ounce of what is being said and give you some worst case scenario that will try to scare everyone and bring on "experts" to help drive it home.

Also, Fauci and medical experts are going to lean on the side of caution vs. giving you what they really think on the matter, because if they predict 100,000 deaths and it comes out at 200,000 they will be crucified. If they tell you 500,000 and it comes back 100,000 then it is still bad but people won't go nuts.
The majority of adults in the US get their news from widely diverse sources found on social media and subscribed emails and podcasts. The message is not coordinated or predictable in my opinion.

The tough part about any new virus threat is that if protective measures are successful and a threat is minimized or contained, the village idiots will always emerge from the tall weeds to exclaim what a waste of time the entire thing was.

I haven't heard anyone from the NYC area complaining about media scare tactics. I think that narrative comes from regions that haven't been hit hard yet.

Who dies because you didn't give a shiite. Can you live with that knowing you went into a full hospital and they put a 65 year old on morphine to die while they tried to save you? You may die from this, but when you become a careless carrier you may kill someone else, including a medical professional. Take it serious...even to the point of feeling like a chump.

Well said. The majority of Americans put on ventilators have died and younger folks have a higher rate of survival. So guess who gets the ventilator in Omaha or Grand Island?

On the topic of medical personnel, over 60 doctors have died in Italy of Covid 19. How many nurses and doctors do we want to lose over this?

Zero grace or objectivity...100% doom and gloom....brought to you by the same peoole who've been whining for over 3+ years. Tune 'em out or they'll make you want to blow your brains out. Consider it an investment in yourself.

They drive me crazy too, but my red blooded American Republican friends cried and whined about Obama for eight years too. Or don't your remember that?

The majority of adults in the US get their news from widely diverse sources found on social media and subscribed emails and podcasts. The message is not coordinated or predictable in my opinion.

The tough part about any new virus threat is that if protective measures are successful and a threat is minimized or contained, the village idiots will always emerge from the tall weeds to exclaim what a waste of time the entire thing was.

I haven't heard anyone from the NYC area complaining about media scare tactics. I think that narrative comes from regions that haven't been hit hard yet.
We know about NYC because they are telling you every ounce of bad news they can that happens. I’m still skeptical and will be interested to see how this plays out once we start antibody testing. Probably will see we shouldn’t have killed our economy and up to 25M people’s lively hood over this.

Reactions: bluenrg
They drive me crazy too, but my red blooded American Republican friends cried and whined about Obama for eight years too. Or don't your remember that?

We're always going to have people whine to some degree about the current Prez.... we always have and I accept that as normal, but what I'm seeing the last few years is unprecedented, from media coverage to outright violence to repeated coup attempts. It wasn't anywhere close to this level of mayhem.

We're always going to have people whine to some degree about the current Prez.... we always have and I accept that as normal, but what I'm seeing the last few years is unprecedented, from media coverage to outright violence to repeated coup attempts. It wasn't anywhere close to this level of mayhem.
That's true on there being more mayhem. I think there is plenty of blame to go around on that.

qaLi2ODRhi--1g7hjSFv6dYXjgJ3ZM71xwPWaADeJ-9SAhzWzXiXxJSDbxJwTMj0d7fg723s8M8usHu_ZpfXS0UOzScYEstXVTULUCjuVlIKwyn8cAsZ0CuNZL3NVWKbJGDZXX3l1RoaQZz8E7taSGE63_O5RfZfBKkDMDU3lGWOS5T4MZpUt-5HEAGvtq1uO3AYc6sMLWfs1gbqiH-hr1_hStxne8EGXc6yCWVEQMtSxP7aJgafpzA-C8NZ

if golf is playing majors, THERE WILL BE FOOTBALL!!

be realistic, people. the sports world cannot be held down much longer!

It's a lot easier to "social distance" with golf than football. The golf courses in Lincoln are still packed with people every day.
there are about 4x the amount of spectators on the course every day of a major than at a given college football game.

it's great to see these getting rescheduled.

Reactions: leodisflowers
there are about 4x the amount of spectators on the course every day of a major than at a given college football game.

Golf is also played in a much bigger venue than any given stadium.

This is also without fans.

Unless we get a coronavirus treatment soon, I bet we won't see any spectators at any sporting event until 2021.

Unless we get a coronavirus treatment soon, I bet we won't see any spectators at any sporting event until 2021.

You maybe right, but with no spectators how are these events games etc. going to be paid for since that is how they pay for these events and games?

Golf is also played in a much bigger venue than any given stadium.

This is also without fans.

sorry to interrupt your parade pissing, but here's a quote from the Masters Chairman with regards to fans:

“...we intend to invite those professionals and amateurs who would have qualified for our original April date and welcome all existing ticket holders to enjoy the excitement of Masters week.

they plan to have everyone present, fans included.

Reactions: leodisflowers
You maybe right, but with no spectators how are these events games etc. going to be paid for since that is how they pay for these events and games?
god forbid universities dip into their 8-plus-figure endowments for once..

that said, I think there will be fans and football will start on time. with 150k (and growing) recovering from the virus every 2 weeks, the public risk will dwindle quickly.

Major sports make more money off of TV rights and advertising than ticket sales. Look at all the Big Ten $$$ we're raking in. If fans can't go to the games, the TV ratings will go through the roof, especially since we will all be starved for sports after months without sports.

As it stands now, I just can't see Governors and University Presidents allowing stadiums to be packed full of tens of thousands of people in September. And then imagine a player gets the virus, the team will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

With that said, I think there's more than a 50-50 chance we will have an approved treatment in the next few months. There are thousands of very smart people working on this. Even Governor Cuomo said today that the results so far have been promising.

Major sports make more money off of TV rights and advertising than ticket sales. Look at all the Big Ten $$$ we're raking in.

As it stands now, I just can't see Governors and University Presidents allowing stadiums to be packed full of tens of thousands of people in September. And then imagine a player gets the virus, the team will have to quarantine for 2 weeks. If fans can't go to the games, the TV ratings will go through the roof, especially since we will all be starved for sports after months without sports.

With that said, I think there's more than a 50-50 chance we will have an approved treatment in the next few months. There are thousands of very smart people working on this. Even Governor Cuomo said today that the results so far have been promising.
in 5 months a gigantic majority of everyone will have had it, recovered, and the show will go on.

in 5 months a gigantic majority of everyone will have had it, recovered, and the show will go on.

The majority won't get it though if we keep social distancing. The only way for a virus to fizzle out is though herd immunity. This quarantine is just prolonging the virus. We do need to start testing everyone to see how many have actually had the virus. Some think that millions of people in the U.S. have already had it without knowing.

Once we know who has all had it, it will be easier to isolate it, and we will be able to use the plasma from recovered people as a treatment.

The majority won't get it though if we keep social distancing. The only way for a virus to fizzle out is though herd immunity. This quarantine is just prolonging the virus. We do need to start testing everyone to see how many have actually had the virus. Some think that millions of people in the U.S. have already had it without knowing.

Once we know who has all had it, it will be easier to isolate it, and we will be able to use the plasma from recovered people as a treatment.
social distancing just prevents everyone from getting it at once. we will all still get it. and the overwhelming majority will be just fine.

There’s no proof that you can’t get it again. Plus our athletes’ health is the most important thing. There’s also the fear of the second wave coming through.

I work in the sports industry and trust me, we will be lucky to play at all this year. The sell-out streak will be broken (with an asterisk). Playing with fans is 99% out of the question until a vaccine comes out.

The key to playing at all in 2020 is having enough testing available where the players can get tested frequently.

sorry to interrupt your parade pissing, but here's a quote from the Masters Chairman with regards to fans:

“...we intend to invite those professionals and amateurs who would have qualified for our original April date and welcome all existing ticket holders to enjoy the excitement of Masters week.

they plan to have everyone present, fans included.

Of course they do. Everyone wants that.

It would help if you didn't selectively edit the entire quote, empahsis mine.

We want to emphasize that our future plans are incumbent upon favorable counsel and direction from health officials,” said Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, in a statement at Masters.com. “Provided that occurs and we can conduct the 2020 Masters, we intend to invite those professionals and amateurs who would have qualified for our original April date and welcome all existing ticket holders to enjoy the excitement of Masters week.”

Ultimately they are saying the same thing everyone else is at this time. They are going to do as much as is advisable to do. This is all tenatively scheduled and subject to real world goings on.

There’s no proof that you can’t get it again. Plus our athletes’ health is the most important thing. There’s also the fear of the second wave coming through.

I work in the sports industry and trust me, we will be lucky to play at all this year. The sell-out streak will be broken (with an asterisk). Playing with fans is 99% out of the question until a vaccine comes out.

The key to playing at all in 2020 is having enough testing available where the players can get tested frequently.
there's no proof you CAN get it again, either.

there are more than 250k world-wide who have recovered. have you heard of 1 case where someone's been reinfected?

I haven't.

Reactions: bshirt73
Of course they do. Everyone wants that.

It would help if you didn't selectively edit the entire quote, empahsis mine.

We want to emphasize that our future plans are incumbent upon favorable counsel and direction from health officials,” said Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club, in a statement at Masters.com. “Provided that occurs and we can conduct the 2020 Masters, we intend to invite those professionals and amateurs who would have qualified for our original April date and welcome all existing ticket holders to enjoy the excitement of Masters week.”

Ultimately they are saying the same thing everyone else is at this time. They are going to do as much as is advisable to do. This is all tenatively scheduled and subject to real world goings on.
you're right. back to your regularly scheduled parade pissing party, Debbie.

If it's like every other virus, you cannot get coronavirus again in the same season. Those who get it will have immunity for a while (2-3 years at least), until it mutates.

If it's like every other virus, you cannot get coronavirus again in the same season. Those who get it will have immunity for a while (2-3 years at least), until it mutates.
exactly. only 1 test matters: an antibody test. frequent and constant testing does nothing.

the more with antibodies, the lower the risk to the public.

you're right. back to your regularly scheduled parade pissing party, Debbie.

Bro I want the world to go back to normal, same as anyone else. But Trump can't BS a virus, if we can only go so far at a given time, I'll live with it. Him and Dabo can get up there and cheerlead all they like (and more power to them, frankly), but I'm sorta like "show me the decision makers". If the governors and sports league guys and university presidents won't do it, then it won't happen.

I started the thread to get a real world gauge on where people thought we might be on this issue. Given this is a board full of pretty involved Husker fans I thought the tally would be much more in favor of folks thinking we'll have a season.

So count me surprised on that matter.

And that is just one persons opinion..
can you find anyone's opinion saying otherwise?

the distancing/lockdown precautions are to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. they are not going to keep you safe from eventual infection. you'll be fine and back in the bowling alley in no time.

Bro I want the world to go back to normal, same as anyone else. But Trump can't BS a virus, if we can only go so far at a given time, I'll live with it. Him and Dabo can get up there and cheerlead all they like (and more power to them, frankly), but I'm sorta like "show me the decision makers". If the governors and sports league guys and university presidents won't do it, then it won't happen.

I started the thread to get a real world gauge on where people thought we might be on this issue. Given this is a board full of pretty involved Husker fans I thought the tally would be much more in favor of folks thinking we'll have a season.

So count me surprised on that matter.
golf will be back in June, will have fans back in July and everyone else will follow suit.

the recovery rate will continue to follow the same path as the infection rate, and the risk to the public will considerably dwindle by Aug/Sept.

can you find anyone's opinion saying otherwise?

the distancing/lockdown precautions are to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed. they are not going to keep you safe from eventual infection. you'll be fine and back in the bowling alley in no time.

I’m not as much worried about myself, it’s my 93 year old father leaving with me at the present time.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
there's no proof you CAN get it again, either.

there are more than 250k world-wide who have recovered. have you heard of 1 case where someone's been reinfected?

I haven't.

It’s too soon to tell. Maybe you’re right, maybe you’re not. What about the second wave that’s coming? Like you said we’re all going to get it at some point.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT