ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
Experts was in quotes, because there are a lot of voices in your ear. I guess I mean the collective wisdom that told us this thing was going to get bad and overwhelm some areas were the closest to accurate. Every day I look for some kind of positive news that indicates we’re turning a corner. Not yet. And turning the corner today doesn’t mean back to normal on Monday.

Even if we do turn the corner, you probably won't hear about it. The media is going to play how bad this is for the minimum next 3 months.

The issue for college is allowing 20 k kids back to campus and opening the dorms. Really hope there is something that the medical folks figure out. Also selfishly I still have a trip to Ireland booked in July

By media, do you mean Fauci and the other medical professionals that are warning of how bad this is and may continue to worsen?

I'll listen to Fauci and the other medical professionals, but that isn't really the message that gets sent out to the masses. The media will twist every ounce of what is being said and give you some worst case scenario that will try to scare everyone and bring on "experts" to help drive it home.

Also, Fauci and medical experts are going to lean on the side of caution vs. giving you what they really think on the matter, because if they predict 100,000 deaths and it comes out at 200,000 they will be crucified. If they tell you 500,000 and it comes back 100,000 then it is still bad but people won't go nuts.

This thing is still evolving and until we are able to connect a few more dots it is just a Wild Ass Guess for even experts. They'll use their models and give you a very cautious scenario, but that is very unlikely where we will end up.

I'll listen to Fauci and the other medical professionals, but that isn't really the message that gets sent out to the masses. The media will twist every ounce of what is being said and give you some worst case scenario that will try to scare everyone and bring on "experts" to help drive it home.

Also, Fauci and medical experts are going to lean on the side of caution vs. giving you what they really think on the matter, because if they predict 100,000 deaths and it comes out at 200,000 they will be crucified. If they tell you 500,000 and it comes back 100,000 then it is still bad but people won't go nuts.

thing is stillThis evolving and until we are able to connect a few more dots it is just a Wild Ass Guess for even experts. They'll use their models and give you a very cautious scenario, but that is very unlikely where we will end up.
If you are speaking of the virus evolving, I actually read an article yesterday stating there are now 9 different variations circulation compared to what started in China. Now that may sound scary, but the article said they are so minute that the symptom, transmission rate, death rate aren't affected.
It was saying that it will probably continue to evolve during this, but the epidemiologist in the article said he wasn't worried about it mutating to the point that it becomes any more severe. Most of the time the mutations hurt the virus more than help. The ones that do seem to mutate and make things worse take years and years to do so. He believed this will be well contained before than can happen. Pretty well, we got what we got until this ends.

The issue for college is allowing 20 k kids back to campus and opening the dorms. Really hope there is something that the medical folks figure out. Also selfishly I still have a trip to Ireland booked in July
Did you buy travel insurance? There might be an out ft for them in the fine print

Did you buy travel insurance? There might be an out ft for them in the fine print
Nah my best hope is an airline credit. I can cancel my tours and airbnb so I can get maybe 2k back. I also have Pearl Jam/Pixies tickets for a concert in London...hasnt been cancelled yet but it will be so that will be another 500 back. Could be worse

Reactions: huskerfan66
Even if we do turn the corner, you probably won't hear about it. The media is going to play how bad this is for the minimum next 3 months.
But I read in the "media" that a Jewish doctor wrote an open letter to president Trump. And in this letter he said he had cured 600 people with zero deaths using the president's prescribed medicines. Not all media is bad.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Herd immunity isn’t a theory, I’m not sure why you’re saying that.
People are assuming we are reaching herd immunity because of a "hidden" mass of cases. There is strong evidence that 50% of cases could be asymptomatic but that doesn't mean right now 50% of society is asymptomatic...it just means that 200k cases is actually 400k cases. Which is good and bad. To reach 60% herd immunity we would need 190 million infections...people who imagine herd immunity is coming are thinking that 200k known infections is actually 190 million unknown...that is what I am calling stupid.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Fauci is doubling down on his 12-18 month timeline. Said he's not going to shorten that process. Where they are going to attempt to shorten is produce candidate vaccines in late stage test in bulk so they can ship immediately if cleared.

A fall vaccine seems unlikely so yah I agree with your other post about fall sports
Then Fauci is a fool. I would be packaging and shipping hundreds of thousands of doses of experimental vaccine within 3 weeks to healthcare workers across the country. Our experience with other mammalian CV vaccines is largely that IF you can get one dose in to an animal before they are exposed you can significantly reduce the severity of the disease. We'll know within a couple of weeks now what is going on with those first doses of vaccine given in Seattle and how people responded with antibodies. With this kind of epidemic it's stupid to not be going balls to the walls with an experimental vaccine. The vaccine in actuality costs WAY less than the testing to get approval and then the marketing campaign. It's just plain foolish to not charge ahead even with an unproven vaccine. JMHO.

Reactions: leodisflowers
That right there is what we call a silver lining!!
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think many places are going to be very lenient. We had a Vegas trip planned for June. They didn't give me any trouble and gave me a credit for the trip to use within the next year.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Then Fauci is a fool. I would be packaging and shipping hundreds of thousands of doses of experimental vaccine within 3 weeks to healthcare workers across the country. Our experience with other mammalian CV vaccines is largely that IF you can get one dose in to an animal before they are exposed you can significantly reduce the severity of the disease. We'll know within a couple of weeks now what is going on with those first doses of vaccine given in Seattle and how people responded with antibodies. With this kind of epidemic it's stupid to not be going balls to the walls with an experimental vaccine. The vaccine in actuality costs WAY less than the testing to get approval and then the marketing campaign. It's just plain foolish to not charge ahead even with an unproven vaccine. JMHO.

I don't really follow too closely the vaccine thing but the only article I've seen from a specific company is Johnson and Johnson saying they might have one for distribution early next year.

Which is more or less 12 months from when they start putting Fauci on TV.

Edit: I'm sure Trump is aware of the various mitigation possibilities. He's already talked about the chloroquine and I'm sure he's briefed on the experimental vaccines in the pipe. I'll trust his judgement whether he makes it a priority to do something like that well in advance of testing.

Last edited:
By media, do you mean Fauci and the other medical professionals that are warning of how bad this is and may continue to worsen?
Fauci has been wrong on every prediction he's made thus far. That guy and the surgeon general need to be put out to pasture after this is over.

I don't really follow too closely the vaccine thing but the only article I've seen from a specific company is Johnson and Johnson saying they might have one for distribution early next year.

Which is more or less 12 months from when they start putting Fauci on TV.

Edit: I'm sure Trump is aware of the various mitigation possibilities. He's already talked about the chloroquine and I'm sure he's briefed on the experimental vaccines in the pipe. I'll trust his judgement whether he makes it a priority to do something like that well in advance of testing.
Forget Johnson and Johnson. The smaller more nimble biotech companies will run circles around them. There are several which are in human trial phases already which if things go well really could start being given to medical staff within a few weeks as an ongoing larger trial. Personally I would make it a HUGE trial and give it to everybody I could. The new subunit vaccines are extremely safe.

Fauci has been wrong on every prediction he's made thus far. That guy and the surgeon general need to be put out to pasture after this is over.

I think you’re confused. Three weeks ago I had never heard of Fauci; but he has been out in front for weeks saying this is going to get worse and worse. So unless you don’t think it’s getting worse....

I think the ADs, and ncaa will do everything possible to have a college football season. Now that season may not resemble what we have become use too. IE Empty stadiums, shorter season, different time frame. I don't think we will see the season start in Sept, but I think we will have a 2020 season in some format.

I think the ADs, and ncaa will do everything possible to have a college football season. Now that season may not resemble what we have become use too. IE Empty stadiums, shorter season, different time frame. I don't think we will see the season start in Sept, but I think we will have a 2020 season in some format.

I think alot of it hinges now on what administrators think of the possibility of a fall wave and what kind of testing is available nationwide. OSU won't have students on campus until August which would make it tough if not impossible to have a normal start even without fans or whatever.

Enough schools follow OSU and chances are they won't bother with a season. As Rickets said about testing it'll be awhile and we'd have to have that firmed up in all locations NCAA FB is playing. I do think the best chance for any sort of football is a late start TV only type of setup.

I think alot of it hinges now on what administrators think of the possibility of a fall wave. OSU won't have students on campus until August which would make it tough if not impossible to have a normal start even without fans or whatever.

Enough schools follow OSU and chances are they won't bother with a season. I do think the best chance for any sort of football is a late start TV only type of setup.
30k+ students on campus isn't the same as allowing a football team to return to their facilities. I'm not sure why these two should be correlated.

30k+ students on campus isn't the same as allowing a football team to return to their facilities. I'm not sure why these two should be correlated.

Because the only reason you don't let students back on campus is because you are limiting gatherings of large groups of people. Large being defined as around ten nationwide right now.

If that's still in effect you won't have schools putting two hundred people associated with the football team into practice facilities either. Hell you couldnt even have an OL meeting at that threshold. Most OL rooms are around 16-20 players

Reactions: WHCSC
The other thing at this time to if they have to amend the whole mask situation for the general public because if the Med Center finding about transmission I'm pretty sure we won't be huddling up twenty guys in close proximity on the field with any regularity.

How do you guys feel about the season being held in Spring 2021?

https://247sports.com/college/nebra...avirus-spring-finish-two-semesters-145640749/

I mean it says "Spring 2021" but in reality, the spring semester starts in January. If Bowl Season is in May, that means basically most of the schedule will be played in the winter throughout the majority of the country.

TV money will still be available, but I have to wonder what attendance will be like. I live on the east coast so my Husker time is all tv anyway.

Unless they find a treatment soon, I don't see how you can play this fall. It will be devastating for college sports economically. Many schools will have to cut some non-revenue sports. Could be the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it.

Unless they find a treatment soon, I don't see how you can play this fall. It will be devastating for college sports economically. Many schools will have to cut some non-revenue sports. Could be the beginning of the end of college sports as we know it.
College sports will always be around. However, I could see the landscape drastically changing. Football runs the revenue stream for most other sports. If no football I could see many other sports having to close up shop and probably even many football programs.

You just love finding negative shit
Well in this case it's just the facts. We're not going to have college football unless they loosen the reins on the biotech companies and do widespread immunizations of college athletes with the experimental vaccines several companies are already testing. Think about it. College athletes would be the perfect study participants.

College sports will always be around. However, I could see the landscape drastically changing. Football runs the revenue stream for most other sports. If no football I could see many other sports having to close up shop and probably even many football programs.

That's what I was getting at. I think in the near future, college athletic departments might just be Football and Basketball. The other sports will just become "club teams" that have to raise their own funds and don't offer scholarships. Although Title IX will probably require keeping a few women's teams. Any men's sports that don't make a profit will likely get the axe.

Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT