ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Rhule pick Sims?

There is video out there of Alberts lavishing praise on MJ, and then also doing the same to MR during his hire.

Administrators have to be good liars (too strong of a word maybe) but their job is to smooth things over. So getting at the truth of things behind closed doors isn't very easy, because you cannot rely on what is said to the public at face value and have to look at circumstantial evidence.

The way coach Rhule thanked Ted Carter, and Ted's own unsolicited remarks make me think it's more likely that Ted pushed for this hire. You don't have to agree with me.

If this hire goes bad, you are free to blame Trev Alberts. I am just offering a reason why maybe that shouldn't be the case.
I agree that Ted Carter pushed for the Rhule hire.

I also don't believe what you said about Alberts' going to hire MJ until Whipple went rogue on the offense which cost MJ the job even though MJ wasn't going to keep Whipple around anyway.

Alberts: I think I'm going to hire MJ.
Carter: Did you see that crap Whipple pulled?
Alberts: Yup, but MJ told me he wouldn't keep Whipple on his staff if he were HC going forward.
Carter: Too late. I was down for MJ too until Whipple went crazy with his play calling.
Alberts: Even though Whipple won't be around after this year?
Carter: Correct, on to Rhule!

I'm guessing Mickey's lack of HC experience is what kept him from being the main man here.

I also don't believe what you said about Alberts' going to hire MJ until Whipple went rogue on the offense which cost MJ the job even though MJ wasn't going to keep Whipple around anyway.

Alberts: Yup, but MJ told me he wouldn't keep Whipple on his staff if he were HC going forward.
Carter: Too late. I was down for MJ too until Whipple went crazy with his play calling.

I'm guessing Mickey's lack of HC experience is what kept him from being the main man here.
you're assuming Alberts and Carter collaborated..

What if Carter wasn't happy with how Trev handled the Scott Frost extension and then the seemingly MJ trial to hire yet another ex husker QB..

It's entirely possible that Ted pulled the plug on all that and directed the AD on what he wanted done.

Then Ted Carter bolts for a new position..

Something doesn't add up there.

you're assuming Alberts and Carter collaborated..

What if Carter wasn't happy with how Trev handled the Scott Frost extension and then the seemingly MJ trial to hire yet another ex husker QB..

It's entirely possible that Ted pulled the plug on all that and directed the AD on what he wanted done.

Then Ted Carter bolts for a new position..

Something doesn't add up there.
Did Trev give Frost a contract extension? I thought he restructured Forst's contract (lowering his pay by $1M per year).

No, no, no. You said in a previous thread that the reason MJ didn't get hired was because of Whipple.

Did Trev give Frost a contract extension? I thought he restructured Forst's contract (lowering his pay by $1M per year).

No, no, no. You said in a previous thread that the reason MJ didn't get hired was because of Whipple.
I do think Trev negotiated the extension/pay cut to get Whipple (new OC) and (Scott's banking buddy) fired. Part of that deal was that Frost had to give up the play calling duties and Whip was promised that it was his offense to run. I don't believe Ted Carter had any input on this. In fact Ted Carter remained virtually invisible to the program, until he brings in Matt Rhule.

I do think Whipple's meltdown on offense is around the same time that things changed with the direction of the athletic department. That direction change, came from Ted Carter in my opinion.

In my view, it was basically a waterfall event. TC is invisible, until he finally says enough and he takes control of the ship.

Last edited:
I do think Trev negotiated the extension/pay cut to get Whipple (new OC) and (Scott's banking buddy) fired. Part of that deal was that Frost had to give up the play calling duties and Whip was promised that it was his offense to run. I don't believe Ted Carter had any input on this. In fact Ted Carter remained virtually invisible to the program, until he brings in Matt Rhule.

I do think Whipple's meltdown on offense is around the same time that things changed with the direction of the athletic department. That direction change, came from Ted Carter in my opinion.
Okay, here you have an opinion (not fact) which is perfectly fine. You can understand why people think your Rhule take (he didn't want to be here) is also an opinion and not fact.

Okay, here you have an opinion (not fact) which is perfectly fine. You can understand why people think your Rhule take (he didn't want to be here) is also an opinion and not fact.
it was reported that he wasn't interested and it took Trev's wife talking with Matt's wife to get the ball rolling again.. Matt said his wife is the one who told him this was the right fit and blah blah blah.

Matt didn't say that was him saying this.. he gave that honor to his wife.

it was reported that he wasn't interested and it took Trev's wife talking with Matt's wife to get the ball rolling again.. Matt said his wife is the one who told him this was the right fit and blah blah blah.

Matt didn't say that was him saying this.. he gave that honor to his wife.

His wife loving Nebraska =/= that Rhule doesn't want to be here or that he's not giving it his all like what you've implied in previous posts.

Reactions: BleedRed78
His wife loving Nebraska =/= that Rhule doesn't want to be here or that he's not giving it his all like what you've implied in previous posts.
Sorry, you can't seem to read between the lines very well. When he says his wife keeps pulling him in this direction, it means he wasn't going in that direction in the first place. She steered him here. He had just given a big speech about Penn State, was talking about how Nebraska made him cry as a kid and as a player.. but his wife steers him to the Nebraska job and she sells him on it.

I'm not discussing this anymore with you. If you persist, I'll just put you on ignore because this is a waste of my time.

• Haha
Reactions: Walleye79
Sorry, you can't seem to read between the lines very well. When he says his wife keeps pulling him in this direction, it means he wasn't going in that direction in the first place. She steered him here. He had just given a big speech about Penn State, was talking about how Nebraska made him cry as a kid and as a player.. but his wife steers him to the Nebraska job and she sells him on it.
There's no reading between the lines. You're making stuff up in your own head & convincing yourself that it's all factual.

I'm not discussing this anymore with you. If you persist, I'll just put you on ignore because this is a waste of my time.
Excited Bill Murray GIF

Haha, why so sensitive?

I'm just asking why you think this is a fact as I don't recall hearing what you're saying. Not that it didn't happen which is why I asked.

I also ask because your claim & reasoning on Albert's wanting to hiring Mickey J (then didn't hire) was shaky at best.
He is very sensitive. Just trust him. He pay supe close attention to husker football. He's basically an expert.

Reactions: HuskerO
My favorite part of all this is how the people who obviously have a literal investment in this coach are falling all over themselves desperately calling out people who wont kiss his ass as if this isn't the place to do so, while using grade school level slurs acting like they have some sort of moral and intellectual upper hand, and then blaming others for doing what they're doing.

Opinions man, we just cant have it.
Same with the dudes that have hated this hire since day 1.

Nice fiction.

Read thru this thread again...i've no kdea why some of you are killing Nikki here. I remember Rhule himself saying some of the things you're bagging on Nikki for posting.

Reactions: king_kong_
Read thru this thread again...i've no kdea why some of you are killing Nikki here. I remember Rhule himself saying some of the things you're bagging on Nikki for posting.
Maybe a dozen folks here are actually capable of thinking for themselves

Maybe

He did say that after they had already arrived in Lincoln to tour the facilities. And the town she told him this is the place where you should spend 20 years.

That doesn't exactly sound like she was twisting his arm

Rhule literally said his wife is the one that made him take a closer look at this job after he had dismissed the idea initially. No reading between the lines is necessary.

Rhule literally said his wife is the one that made him take a closer look at this job after he had dismissed the idea initially. No reading between the lines is necessary.
I guess that's settles it. Rhule hates nebraska and only took the job because his wife told him to.

Lofl

Because he's implying that Rhule doesn't really want to be here therefore Rhule's not all in & riding out a sweet paycheck.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Because he's implying that Rhule doesn't really want to be here therefore Rhule's not all in & riding out a sweet paycheck.
That's what Scott Shanle, I mean Nikki is saying when he says "read between the lines".

For one Nikki acts like he has some sort of special insight....he doesn't.

Second, he said rhules wife forced him to take the job. That's laughable.

He dismissed it when they couldn’t reach an agreement with Carolina on his buyout. He indicated that he was very disappointed at that point. Damn there’s some negative spinning going on.

I guess that's settles it. Rhule hates nebraska and only took the job because his wife told him to.

Lofl
My own impression of the Rhule negotiations was that Nebraska tipped its hand too obviously that they were locking 100% in on Rhule, and Rhule's agent did what any good agent would do in that situation - grabbed Nebraska by the balls and squeezed until it hurt. I'm pretty certain we had no intention of going as high as $9M/year for him at the start of the negotiations (no one else was going to be offering him that).

There's nothing to read into. He wanted mickey joseph to be the head coach, and he hates the fact that trev hired Rhule.

So did a lot of other people (want Mickey I mean)..and it's OK if somebody didn't care for the Rhule hire and right now they appear correct. Rhule has sucked so far. I know it's early...not saying he's the wrong guy, yet.

I think a lot of posters have a problem with how he views western women...to the point they've convinced themselves he believes in abusing them, and cannot seperate their dislike for his tboughts on that subject with his football posts.

So did a lot of other people (want Mickey I mean)..and it's OK if somebody didn't care for the Rhule hire and right now they appear correct. Rhule has sucked so far. I know it's early...not saying he's the wrong guy, yet.

I think a lot of posters have a problem with how he views western women...to the point they've convinced themselves he believes in abusing them, and cannot seperate their dislike for his tboughts on that subject with his football posts.
so many posters cannot separate message from messenger

leads to lots and lots of groupthink, which is to say non-think

I swear many wish this entire forum was exclusively "Give Him Time" threads filled with everyone posting "Give him time" inside each one

this image sums up the lion's share of posters perfectly:

comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg

He dismissed it when they couldn’t reach an agreement with Carolina on his buyout. He indicated that he was very disappointed at that point. Damn there’s some negative spinning going on.

Did Rhule say his wife is one of the main reasons he is here or not? (He did)...that's all i'm repeating. Not sayimg anything other than what he has said himself.

I didn't say anything about his views on women. However, now that you bring it up, it makes how he feels about Rhules wife make more sense.

Has Rhule sucked so far? I mean really.... I get there is some negative, but seems he is setting out to accomplish what he said he would.

1. Development of Players - We have a ton of freshman playing, as well as dudes like Gbayor and others who I thought would never see the field.

2. Strength and Conditioning - I think this has jumped astronomically. These dudes are not only strong, but they seem to be much faster, quick and just overall better.

3. Defense - Leaps and Bounds Better. All coaches on this side seem to be studs.

4. Special Teams - Leaps and Bounds Better. Only blunder is Alvano missing a 47 yarder that was off by literally like 3 inches. The rest has been crazy amounts better.

I think the only real miss so far has been Sims. After Rhule was hired there was a lot of talk about how this roster was going to need to get a hell of a lot better not only in recruiting, but development and that it was going to take a little bit of time. Maybe not 3 years, but it might be a little bit rough sledding as Sims gets his system in tact. Why has that expectation changed? Hell, if Sims was just decent we would have a pretty good chance at being 2-0 and sitting pretty. No one thought we were going to beat Minny and we should have. I would have liked to see the outcome of the Colorado game if we score a TD on that first drive and thereafter.

Pump the brakes on the Rhule sucks stuff. I think he has done a lot of good so far. Everything seems to be going the correct direction and it will be interesting to see if we get two wins in a row how that changes things. Will also be interesting to see if when HH is inserted if he is a gamer and can change the trajectory. Rhule is a dude that I know is grinding behind the scenes to try and get better. This isn't a Frost situation. Rhule is actually doing the work. If we could get some QB play this team could be pretty decent. Keep getting the young WR's reps and get a few studs for next year and things are going to look up. We know we can beat Minnesota so that means we can beat everyone left on our schedule besides Michigan.

Has Rhule sucked so far? I mean really.... I get there is some negative, but seems he is setting out to accomplish what he said he would.

1. Development of Players - We have a ton of freshman playing, as well as dudes like Gbayor and others who I thought would never see the field.

2. Strength and Conditioning - I think this has jumped astronomically. These dudes are not only strong, but they seem to be much faster, quick and just overall better.

3. Defense - Leaps and Bounds Better. All coaches on this side seem to be studs.

4. Special Teams - Leaps and Bounds Better. Only blunder is Alvano missing a 47 yarder that was off by literally like 3 inches. The rest has been crazy amounts better.

I think the only real miss so far has been Sims. After Rhule was hired there was a lot of talk about how this roster was going to need to get a hell of a lot better not only in recruiting, but development and that it was going to take a little bit of time. Maybe not 3 years, but it might be a little bit rough sledding as Sims gets his system in tact. Why has that expectation changed? Hell, if Sims was just decent we would have a pretty good chance at being 2-0 and sitting pretty. No one thought we were going to beat Minny and we should have. I would have liked to see the outcome of the Colorado game if we score a TD on that first drive and thereafter.

Pump the brakes on the Rhule sucks stuff. I think he has done a lot of good so far. Everything seems to be going the correct direction and it will be interesting to see if we get two wins in a row how that changes things. Will also be interesting to see if when HH is inserted if he is a gamer and can change the trajectory. Rhule is a dude that I know is grinding behind the scenes to try and get better. This isn't a Frost situation. Rhule is actually doing the work. If we could get some QB play this team could be pretty decent. Keep getting the young WR's reps and get a few studs for next year and things are going to look up. We know we can beat Minnesota so that means we can beat everyone left on our schedule besides Michigan.
our veteran punter was absolute trash last week, in altitude

4 punts averaging 35 yards

Yes.

IF the exact same thing played out at say...Iowa, or Colorado...or (insert a rival here) would you he defending their 0-2 srart? Both winnable games tbey lose because his hand picked QB turned out be the worst QB that program has ever had and they refuse to make a change?
Trust me, I'm pissed about the start, but I see a lot of it as fixable and the development is the biggest thing for me. There are a ton of guys that are playing and are looking damn good. The Big 10 West sucks and even at this point we can beat anyone in the West. Our East games are Michigan (Good) and Maryland and MSU. Maryland has looked shitty and I think Locksley sucks as a coach. Elite recruiter, shit coach. MSU is going to be a dumpster fire. Rhule and the assistants just need to keep working on a few minor things that can push us in the right direction.

1. Fix QB. Give HH a shot, play to his strengths and see if he is a gamer

2. Fix the left side of the line. Bench Piper and Corcoran of even try and move Corc inside and put someone else at tackle, but a change has to be made. With that said, I rewatched the CU game and there was actually some decent OL play. That early option we ran, if Sims pitches it there was a ton of open space and there were some times we missed some good holes, but run blocking we were looking decent at times.

3. I've heard they have worked on some 2 back sets in practice. It might be a good thing to have both Rahmir and Gabe on the field. Try to get your playmakers the ball. I think we have a few and could mix a few more things in. I liked getting Lloyd that reverse against Minny. He looked good running it. I think if HH can just handle the ball our O could get better. We've had a lot of drives this year that were long drives with some good rhythm that were derailed by QB play. Just find something that keeps that rhythm

Trust me, I'm pissed about the start, but I see a lot of it as fixable and the development is the biggest thing for me. There are a ton of guys that are playing and are looking damn good. The Big 10 West sucks and even at this point we can beat anyone in the West. Our East games are Michigan (Good) and Maryland and MSU. Maryland has looked shitty and I think Locksley sucks as a coach. Elite recruiter, shit coach. MSU is going to be a dumpster fire. Rhule and the assistants just need to keep working on a few minor things that can push us in the right direction.

1. Fix QB. Give HH a shot, play to his strengths and see if he is a gamer

2. Fix the left side of the line. Bench Piper and Corcoran of even try and move Corc inside and put someone else at tackle, but a change has to be made. With that said, I rewatched the CU game and there was actually some decent OL play. That early option we ran, if Sims pitches it there was a ton of open space and there were some times we missed some good holes, but run blocking we were looking decent at times.

3. I've heard they have worked on some 2 back sets in practice. It might be a good thing to have both Rahmir and Gabe on the field. Try to get your playmakers the ball. I think we have a few and could mix a few more things in. I liked getting Lloyd that reverse against Minny. He looked good running it. I think if HH can just handle the ball our O could get better. We've had a lot of drives this year that were long drives with some good rhythm that were derailed by QB play. Just find something that keeps that rhythm
with Coleman and Lloyd climbing the depth chart, it's not crazy to think Haarberg will have the best rapport with both, considering he's been throwing to them with the 2nd unit all off season.

seemed to see this with Fidone, as well.

Reactions: leodisflowers
with Coleman and Lloyd climbing the depth chart, it's not crazy to think Haarberg will have the best rapport with both, considering he's been throwing to them with the 2nd unit all off season.

seemed to see this with Fidone, as well.

I agree. I felt like Fidone seemed more comfortable with HH, but it was trash time. I also heard really good things about Doss until he got hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT