ADVERTISEMENT

Re-thinking the "bench Sims" mantra

I am on record saying that Rhule should bench Sims and should have done so at halftime against CU. And I still think he should have at least been forced to sit out a series to clear his head after his second fumble.

However, in thinking this through the following occurred to me. What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning? This would explain why Rhule has stuck with him through all of this. Yes, Sims has now cost us two games with his turnovers. But in the first game his problem was interceptions. But he only through one against CU. In the second game his main issue was fumbles, but he had none against Minnesota. Perhaps Rhule is confident that Sims will improve and that going forward he will not fumble snaps and he will be given throwing packages that minimize interceptions.

I know, I know, Sims has been a turnover machine his entire career. So why expect that to end now? Still, I have never believed that either Haarberg or Purdy are worth a shit as QB's. And even if they do not commit as many turnovers I sure as heck do not see them moving the football and scoring with any consistency. So our best option is to go with our best athlete at QB since we have so very few playmakers on offense. And if we can find a way to get Sims to take care of the ball, keeping him as our starter might just be our best option.

Just some early morning musings over coffee as I am still scarred for life by losing to Scum.
Sims is athletically the best, but not the best as a player. It's not even just turnovers. Those plays were dreadful in execution. He even fumbled on his own TD pass this year.
Our defense has played great so far despite getting put in impossible spots and getting no help from the offense.
We really have to give Haarberg and Purdy a look. Can they play worse than Sims has thus far? No, they cannot. And both are decent runners by the way.

Sims is athletically the best, but not the best as a player. It's not even just turnovers. Those plays were dreadful in execution. He even fumbled on his own TD pass this year.
Our defense has played great so far despite getting put in impossible spots and getting no help from the offense.
We really have to give Haarberg and Purdy a look. Can they play worse than Sims has thus far? No, they cannot. And both are decent runners by the way.
Haarberg is bigger than Sims

Haarberg is faster than Sims (by MPH, per spring conditioning results)

purdy's name doesn't even need to be mentioned. he is an incapable deer in the headlights.

I am on record saying that Rhule should bench Sims and should have done so at halftime against CU. And I still think he should have at least been forced to sit out a series to clear his head after his second fumble.

However, in thinking this through the following occurred to me. What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning? This would explain why Rhule has stuck with him through all of this. Yes, Sims has now cost us two games with his turnovers. But in the first game his problem was interceptions. But he only through one against CU. In the second game his main issue was fumbles, but he had none against Minnesota. Perhaps Rhule is confident that Sims will improve and that going forward he will not fumble snaps and he will be given throwing packages that minimize interceptions.

I know, I know, Sims has been a turnover machine his entire career. So why expect that to end now? Still, I have never believed that either Haarberg or Purdy are worth a shit as QB's. And even if they do not commit as many turnovers I sure as heck do not see them moving the football and scoring with any consistency. So our best option is to go with our best athlete at QB since we have so very few playmakers on offense. And if we can find a way to get Sims to take care of the ball, keeping him as our starter might just be our best option.

Just some early morning musings over coffee as I am still scarred for life by losing to Scum.
Try living out here on the Front Range…I will hear it for the rest of my life how CU owned us the last 10 years. It’s funny in this day of supposed ‘tolerance’ (and especially coming from Boulder), it’s not ok to hate on anybody or anything EXCEPT the people of the State of Nebraska and conservatives.

Frost left CT here.

If CT was still here, and Jeff Sims was anywhere but here, with the improvement on defense and ST we would either be 2-0 with a close CU win or 1-1 with a close loss at CU, and there would be optimism and excitement in the fanbase.
Sims in the QB run game has been one of our best if not the best offensive weapons. CT wouldn’t have an NFL WR drawing the defenses attention and taking the top off the secondary. Who knows if CT would have succeeded this year.

I think now is the perfect time to make a change. Calm the offense down, put Haarburg in, and come out with a couple wins. Winning these next 2 is an absolute must. Honestly… from what I saw, Georgia Tech, and what I’ve seen the first two games of the season… There is no way on God’s green earth that Jeff Simms gives us the best chance to win these games. I don’t care that it’s northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech.
I agree with this. Give HH and the offense some confidence and momentum these next two games. We won't beat Michigan but every other game is winnable on the schedule. Trying to finish 6-4 isn't out of the cards.

As tough a pill as it is to swallow, I'm fairly certain Sims is still out best option at QB.

There are still 10 games left on the schedule. 9 of them 'winnable'. I'm not ready to throw away the season yet - especially because we have seen nothing from Haarberg or Purdy to suggest they are significant improvements. The coaches, OTOH, see Haarberg and Purdy every day, and have since December.

If NU loses a 7th game with more left to play, I am 'all in' on benching Sims. Until then, I think our best option is for NU coaches to work on reducing Sims' mistakes.
He has had 7 turnovers in 8 quarters. How much reducing do they need to do to win? He couldn't afford 1 mistake last game since Colorado capitalized on all of them. Credit the defense, they held them to 2 field goals at that point.

You can't say it's a rebuilding year when the qb is coughing up turnovers in a mind blowing way. What are you going to build on?

I agree with this. Give HH and the offense some confidence and momentum these next two games. We won't beat Michigan but every other game is winnable on the schedule. Trying to finish 6-4 isn't out of the cards.
Completely agree. With our defense, 6-6 is absolutely attainable if we can just get 21-24 on the scoreboard. Next year the B1G drastically changes. I understand I may be being dramatic about it, but to me it is so important that we get to a bowl game this year to build on that momentum.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Nothing to lose at this point playing HH. If Sims can't handle getting benched and earning his job back then so be it. I want to see HH play so we know for sure if he can or can't do it. I don't care about practice. Coaches evaluating practice has led to us not going to a bowl game in 6 years.
There is a lot to lose. The assumption is the coaches are wrong and the people in the stands think HH is the answer. What do you do if you start HH and things go south even worse? What do you expect teenagers to think and do?

Reactions: Seascout3
There is a lot to lose. The assumption is the coaches are wrong and the people in the stands think HH is the answer. What do you do if you start HH and things go south even worse? What do you expect teenagers to think and do?
2 fumbles from shotgun snaps and one fumble from hiking it with a motion guy in the way is as bad as it gets

The one TD he was responsible for, no other QB on our roster turns that into a touchdown. Maybe others turn other plays into TD's that Sims did not, but not that one.

The one TD he was responsible for, no other QB on our roster turns that into a touchdown. Maybe others turn other plays into TD's that Sims did not, but not that one.
Haarberg probably would have housed that too. He is fast. The unknown is his ability in the passing game and audibles. I have no idea if we audible much if at all

Reactions: king_kong_

The offensive players need to be coached to just play within themselves. Realize that the defense will get you another chance.

When these coaches came they said they want this to be a developmental school. Where football players go to get better. Purdy was a 4 star kid who's brother plays in the nfl. Develope him see if there is something there..... We have seen him run and throw he has tools. Lets get them some experience

Reactions: WHCSC
What would go south look like? We are turning the ball over at an unbelievable clip while also not scoring at an unbelievable clip. What if HH can come in and at least not turn the ball over? Wouldn't we be miles ahead at that point?

Maybe they can change the offense and Sims will improve. But I see that as a long-shot. Try the young guy.

I don't care about practice. I know that he sucks when the lights are on and it matters. I would assume a D1 QB can handle taking shotgun snaps. 4 non-contact fumbles in one game is actually incredible. You don't even see that in pop warner.
You're the one that said that HH won't fumble. How do you know?

What if Sims really is our best QB on the roster? What if, minus the turnovers, he gives us the best chance of winning?
Impossible to tell until the other QBs get some meaningful snaps to show what they can do. In my mind, the simplest answer is usually the most correct. In this case, as Bill Parcells would say, you are what your record says you are.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Players don't like when you say one thing and don't follow through.
That's my position. You can't talk about culture blah blah blah, and then let a turnover machine keep playing when you've said turnovers = bench.

For anyone who thinks the backups will be worse, that's just not the point in this case. Even if it does end up worse, it's a long-term choice to say "I mean what I said". I also don't mind if the backups prove to be as unproductive or worse and Sims continues starting. Perfectly fine.

If Rhule would have been smart, he’d have Redshirted Jeff and made CT the starter this year. If Rhule thinks he can fix Jeff to be an NFL QB, in no universe is this staff doing that in one spring.

Think Jeff could have RS this year, developed, and still maybe have 2 years to play.

2020- didn’t count
2021- tFR
2022- tSoph
2023- RS
2024- Jr
2025- Sr

In that scenario I feel like everyone wins. But too late now. Without CT that scenario is a hard sell with Purdy and HH.

Gee, ya think Rule believes Sims is our best shot at winning? I would hope so! Isn't that why coaches get paid the big bucks? Name the last time they played someone else and it turned out to be a good decision? McCaffery? Purdy?

Since Adrian began his decline, there has been a call for the back-up to come in and save the day. How did that work out? Terrible as we all know. But somehow we think we know more than the coaches and there surely must be someone better so they become the new hero to come in and save the day. Maybe HH gives us a boost if he gets his shot, I don't know but the coaches do. And yes, people who say, well he can't be worse are sadly mistaken.

A few more bits of football wisdom. There are no plays that take the chance of an INT out of the equation. D's will find you out. He is a good but not great runner and is ability to run isn't enough to turn the balance in our favor. So those who say just keep running him are playing a fools game. CU loaded up to stop the run and we had no answers. Simple things, well just roll him out don't solve the big problems but sound nice.

Then there is a crowd that says move him to "wing back" and/or running back. He has shown a complete lack of ability to catch a pass in game one and snaps in game two. Hands of stone this one seems to have. The game moves too quickly for him it appears. Not a knock, it is just what it looks like from the chair. I have seen kids who look like world beaters fail miserably when bullets are flying.

People posted all of the "these are all the highlights you need to see" of Sims while at GT but just a casual watching of his tape reveals some serious flaws. My GUESS is Rhule and company figured they could coach those out of him and take advantage of his athleticism. The experiment is ongoing but time is running out.
Excellent post!

I'm wanting to see what HH can do, but agree with you on Purdy. He sucks. Also, not sure why we didn't have a similar game plan against CU that we did against Minny. Jeff Sims was at his best when he was running the QB power and read option game. His reads weren't the best, but we looked a little better with him running a lot.
But Minn. didn't really have film on what our offense would be, so we had the element of surprise in that first game. If I were a DC, I would stack the line to stop the run and make Sims throw to beat me. Pretty sure we'll see that from here on out until we find some playmakers at WR & TE.

Reactions: Seascout3
I was gonna say the same thing. That is a designed QB run and HH absolutely houses that.
FWIW I believe HH was received scholarship offers from Harvard and Yale. They don't do that unless they think you will be a fit academically since they know you won't likely be going there to play in the NFL. So what I'm saying is HH is smart and that matters at the QB position.

CT just lost to Ohio while throwing 54% completion and 2 picks
Sorry if already posted but this notion that Rhule ran off Casey has to stop. Casey wanted what no coach should ever agree to....a guaranteed starting position. If he did that, HH and CP would hit the portal ASAP---as they should---leaving NU with no viable backups. It may well be that signing Sims was a mistake but a bigger mistake would be to agree to what Casey wanted.

Sorry if already posted but this notion that Rhule ran off Casey has to stop. Casey wanted what no coach should ever agree to....a guaranteed starting position. If he did that, HH and CP would hit the portal ASAP---as they should---leaving NU with no viable backups. It may well be that signing Sims was a mistake but a bigger mistake would be to agree to what Casey wanted.
Preacher Rhule just today said Sims is his QB

sure sounds like a guaranteed starting spot to me

These first two games dictate the year. If we would’ve won them, we were looking at a nice season. I believe now we are a 4-5 win team. Although our defense is looking really good, this offense is not gonna make any strides unless we get a serviceable qb. So let’s see what HH can do, maybe he’s a baller in the game setting.
What?

Preacher Rhule just today said Sims is his QB

sure sounds like a guaranteed starting spot to me
And you may be right, but that's not the same as giving your coach an ultimatum that he start you or else he leaves. I'm not defending Sims in the least. I am saying it's nonsensical to say Rhule ran off Casey when that is patently untrue.

That's my position. You can't talk about culture blah blah blah, and then let a turnover machine keep playing when you've said turnovers = bench.

For anyone who thinks the backups will be worse, that's just not the point in this case. Even if it does end up worse, it's a long-term choice to say "I mean what I said". I also don't mind if the backups prove to be as unproductive or worse and Sims continues starting. Perfectly fine.
Exactly. I get it, that's your guy (taking about Rhule and Sims). I'm not even suggesting he's not the starter but when he is turning the ball over he has to be benched. HH should have been in the game in the second quarter to try and give the offense a boost. You can't sit one guy because of a fumble but continue to let Sims piss away chances to win.

Exactly. I get it, that's your guy (taking about Rhule and Sims). I'm not even suggesting he's not the starter but when he is turning the ball over he has to be benched. HH should have been in the game in the second quarter to try and give the offense a boost. You can't sit one guy because of a fumble but continue to let Sims piss away chances to win.
You're not wrong. Bench him for a series or two and let HH try. If he's not getting it done Sims may have collected himself enough to play effectively. But don't reward bad play with more playing time.

I did some reflecting, too. Sorry, Frosty!

Try to explain how the year is shot because of the first two games.
I guess making a bowl game would be the lower level of a successful season. Winning the first two games against those teams would’ve shown we are capable of formulating and executing a game a plan on the road and limit mistakes that we are all so used to, however that didn’t happen. Additionally, the momentum of the team going into Michigan 4-0 would’ve been a great help to make a potential upset, although that would’ve been unlikely no matter what. Still, we would’ve only needed 2 more wins to make a bowl.

I’m not sure I see us winning 6 out of the next 10 given how poor our offense is, particularly given how much Sims turns the ball over. He’s just gonna change all of a sudden? I’ll be happy to be wrong.

I think are two options keep sims starting or begin again. Trust me there plenty of blame to go around, we have 4th and 5th seniors on the offensive line that still can't get the snap count correct or know who to block. I watched #66 just wondering around out there. Of course we all know about our outstanding tackles. Rhule will get a mulligan this year and probably next year. So let the younger players get some significant playing time. If we lose then so be it at least we are building for the future

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT